Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

what kind of music do nb members enjoy?

Lady_AlisonLady_Alison Veteran
edited January 2012 in General Banter
Metallica, loreena mckennit, coldplay, Florence and the machine, Adele, lesium auracle, enigma, Vivaldi, Tchaikovsky, queen, eagles, beetles, Dido, limp bizqit, Rufus Wainwright....

Sigh.

Comments

• Moby, Cyndi Lauper, Leonard Cohen, Erasure
  • Love 80s music such as New Order and Depeche Mode. Jeff Buckley, he left us far too young. Peter Gabriel, Eagles, Jackson Brown. And lastly, Jimmy Buffett, yes I'm a parrot head.
  • GuiGui Veteran
  • I don't know who they are but

AWESOME
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    Ewan Dobson, Tommy Emmanuel, Andy Mckee, Antoine Dufour, Don Ross...

and some punk rock.
  • Janis Joplin, The Beatles, CCR, The Doors, Great Big Sea, Barenaked Ladies, Adele, Jim Cuddy, Kate Voegel...
  • Train and The Fray are my favorite bands. But I basically listen to anything except for rap, hip-hop, whatever genere the "current" music is and religious. I also love listening to music in other languages, on my iPod I have many songs in Japanese, Korean and some in Chinese, Spanish and Russian.
  • Broken social scene, the kills, arcade fire, the morning benders, the yeah yeah yeahs, the xx, etc.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    I just saw broken social scene... I wasn't into indie but it was awsome
  • Damn thats sweet! I love canadian music.
  • IronRabbitIronRabbit Veteran
    edited January 2012
    Tom Waits, John Hammond, Jonny Lang, Taj Mahal, Muddy Waters, Old Blind Dogs, Karnak, Mediaeval Baebes, Django Reinhardt, Stephan Grappelli, Ladysmith Black Mombazo, Afro Celt Sound System, Huun Huur Tu.

Since dukkha is all around - an additional not-so-noble noble truth could be - "Listening to the Blues (maybe even dancing a little) lends a little swing to the cessation of dukkha."
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    i love music with a melodious and positive tone.
    I simply cannot take an awful lot of modern jazz, or strident, screaming stuff passed off as modern rock....
    I have no idea what these new terms for some genres are, but most of them i find intolerable.
    And there's a reason for it.
    incredibly insidious tinnitus, coupled with hyperacusis.
    My father had both and it looks as if i have followed suit....

http://www.hyperacusis.org/
  • @federica do you use noise cancelling head phones like bosses?
  • @federica...maybe classical for you. Idk...or instrumental world music.
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited January 2012
    I use to be huge on music. from 16-19 I was a typical raver listening to mainly drum and bass or jungle, also being a DJ. Although, I still loved to listen to things like down, metallica, feeder, limp bizkit, nirvana, rolling stones, foo fighters, green day, kill switch and the list goes on.
    Now-a-days I don't listen to music, this thread has just illustrated that to me, I didn't even notice that I don't haha. I guess I have just gotten bored of it.. Also hearing about all of these bands I have never heard of that people are speaking about like one direction and stuff, I just don't care anymore.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2012
    @federica do you use noise cancelling head phones like bosses?
    No. They don't work. Paradoxically, they make it worse....
    @federica...maybe classical for you. Idk...or instrumental world music.
    As my father was a classical concert pianist, I was brought up on a constant diet of Classical music.
    As for other music, i have a vast collection of relaxation instrumentals, I used also for my Qi gong classes.... Plus, Simon and Garfunkel, and any 60's, 70's some 80's and a few '90's hits of which I can actually follow the tunes and understand the lyrics....

• zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    sleater-kinney, le butcherettes, the yeah yeah yeahs, bikini kill, hole, bjork, the distillers, kittie, ladytron, miss kittin, radiohead, zero 7, portishead, massive attack, le tigre, metric, rilo kiley, royksopp, gogol bordello, the shins, blondie, the pretenders

huh. apparently i listen to a lot of female fronted bands...
  • Daft Punk, Tool, Men at Work, Jimi Hendrix, 3 Dog Night, Santana, etc.
    The only one of the above I recognise - and would listen to - is 'santana'.
    Having checked out some of the others, that's exactly the kind of music which makes me ill....
  • New Age & Deep Tracks classic rock

• @zombiegirl shoutout for Portishead! We saw them a few months back. Great show!
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2012
    @zombiegirl, I am a huge bjork fan. I think the content is sometimes like-buddhism.

@Kangaroo we are totally on the same page

Nick Drake, Cat Stevens, Blondie, Jewel
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    @Raven uggh. i would love to see them live... you should check out massive attack and zero 7 if you don't already listen to them. i think you'd like them if you like portishead.

@Jeffrey me too! i honestly think she's one of the most underrated musicians of our time. it's not just music.. it's art.
  • Metallica, AC/DC, Fleetwood Mac, Elton John, Enya, Air, Kitaro
  • Yay Metallica
  • Telly03Telly03 Veteran
    edited February 2012
    Yay Metallica
    I love seeing them in person, and it is also great to work out to
  • Yes! I agree..I work out to death magnetic ...but I haven't heard the Lou Reed CD is it good @telly03.

I think I'm unloved with James lead vocals...I don't care that I'm 28 and he is 50..I would run away with him. Lok
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited February 2012
    Mostly black metal, industrial, and Lady Gaga. Oh, and healthy dose of Gary Numan, too.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    sleater-kinney, le butcherettes, the yeah yeah yeahs, bikini kill, hole, bjork, the distillers, kittie, ladytron, miss kittin, radiohead, zero 7, portishead, massive attack, le tigre, metric, rilo kiley, royksopp, gogol bordello, the shins, blondie, the pretenders

huh. apparently i listen to a lot of female fronted bands...
    Good taste.
  • DandelionDandelion London Veteran
    This is my all time favourite piece of music and music video:

Infact, I'm going to watch the whole dvd now, at 9am

:D

I love Fleetwood Mac, not just Stevie Nicks. The Pretenders, U2, Roxy Music, Melodic trance, Phil Collins, OMD, and pretty much anything from the 80's timewarp!
  • edited February 2012
    My musical tastes keep going backward- Monk, Mingus, Coltrane, Miles, Little Walter, Dexter Gordon, etc. Also like Steely Dan, Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Taj Mahal.
  • B5CB5C Veteran