Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Attached to Running...

ToshTosh Veteran
edited June 2012 in General Banter
I think this is one of my better attachments!

I've been running for about a year, and started running pretty much at the same time I stopped smoking; so my base fitness was very low, but I've tried to use some Buddhist practises, such as mindfulness and 'striving non striving' (just going for a run and not expecting anything from it) and I've come to a point where I'm feeling fit 'n' strong and I've done a bunch of short races and have entered a bunch of middle to long distance races, culminating into a marathon in January 2013.

It's funny, but I know people like the Buddha and Immanuel Kant philosophised about 'free will', but sometimes I wonder if they donned a pair of running shoes and lycra, and went for a long distance run, if that would've given them any answers quicker.

When I run I don't distract myself with an Ipod, I try to experience the pain and the boredom that seems guaranteed - and I think there's something spiritual about that (my definition of 'spiritual' is 'working with the mind'). Sometimes (many times) I want to stop 'n' walk, and I have that internal dialogue going on - it can seem like a real fight sometimes. Other times I just try to be aware and open my consciousness to what's around me and just experience; other times I'm saying mantras to try and distract me from the way I'm feeling. It's a bit like everyday life condensed into a run.

Have we any runners here? Anyone up for a chat with anything to do with running?

Comments

• SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran
    I'm impressed. Tried running myself to lose some weight and get a bit fitter but couldn't get past the boredom/pain phase. I've read some advice and decided running isn't for me. Much prefer cycling and walking.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    In the army, I learned a little about running.

The most compelling memory is not really the most important, but it stands out in my mind. On the way back from the firing range where 200 or so guys had taken shooting practice, we were trudging along over the low, sandy hills of South Carolina. This was part of basic training and we had by that time gained enough experience to feel a bit cocky.

We carried our rifles and wore our helmets and marched along behind a very correct and neat and tough sergeant named Albertorio. And as we trudged, suddenly Sgt. Albertorio called, "Double time, march!" Double time is a kind of a dog trot ... faster than a walk, but slower than a flat out run. At the command, we all began double-timing. 200 guys, double-timing. After five minutes or so, Sgt. Albertorio shouted, "Quick time, march!" That meant to return to walking. But several of us in the front ranks were feeling our oats and one called out, "What's the matter, sergeant ... you a pussy or something?!" And Albertorio took the bait, ordered us to return to double-timing ... and we double-timed ... and double-timed ... and double-timed ... up one small hill and down the next, mile after mile. By the time we stopped, there were 18 guys left standing. I counted them. The rest of the 200 were passed out, puking or simply wrung out by the side of the road. Albertorio looked back at us and at the crumpled figures behind us. He never said a word, but his face said loud and clear, "Don't fuck with me, numbnuts, because I'll whip your ass every day of the week and twice on Sunday."

It was a bit of drama, but to me the magic of running always lay in the fact that there came a point -- just as in Buddhism -- where the bullshit cannot enter. No more philosophy or religion or pain or love or hate or kindness or cruelty ... this was so much 'this' that to utter the word "this" was too stupid for words. It was simply the place that was the place ... there was no possibility of naming it because it was the place that had no name and yet, without any doubt whatsoever, was the place.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I run, and I lift weights. My son runs track, cross country and he is a cross country skier. We do a lot of running in our house, lol. I find it quite easy to bring mindfulness into any of my workouts, and my workouts are much, much better for it. I also enjoy them much more, and experience far fewer injuries. My son and I are running a 4k local run here on the 4th of July, and in September my hubby and I are doing our first Warrior Dash. That'll be interesting. I find it to be similar to meditation, in terms of how I feel afterwards. Actually one of the things that made me want to learn more about Buddhism was reading a book called "Zen and the Art of Running." It has some great suggestions about being able to stay mindful when you run, even in urban areas.

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    In terms of running and attachment, I think running is a great exercise, although even when I was younger I just couldn't get into it. Tried several times, but just found it boring. Walking and hiking was for me.

But I also know people who, at least to me, must be "attached" to it. Running in a driving rainstorm, hail storm, heavy snow storm, or well-below freezing temperatures (sometimes still in shorts and a t-shirt)...to me, that's attachment.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Not everyone experiences weather the same way though. What someone in Florida considers ridiculously cold, is still tshirt weather where I live. I never run in life-threatening conditions. But other people would disagree, because I do run when it's -20F outside, and I do run in the rain. I actually enjoy running in the different weather, it's good training. My son's ski team skis in weather as cold as -30F. Dealing with the cold and snow is just part of life here, and it very rarely stops us from doing anything. If it did, we'd do nothing 6+ months of the year!

I have no problem missing a workout if I need to. Yesterday I skipped my weight training session because I mowed our lawn and it takes 2 hours to do with a reel mower, and that was enough of a workout and I didn't want to wear myself out. But my workouts are as essential to my physical health as meditation is to my spiritual health.
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    Awesome Tosh!
    Your inspiring me to get off my butt.:D
    All the best,
    Todd
  • It's funny, but I know people like the Buddha and Immanuel Kant philosophised about 'free will', but sometimes I wonder if they donned a pair of running shoes and lycra, and went for a long distance run, if that would've given them any answers quicker.
    Actually Kant was an avid walker, which I would assume helped his thinking. There's a story that his neighbors would set their clocks by his walks.