Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

For those of you who still believe in Jesus Christ..

vlroxvlrox Explorer
edited August 2012 in Faith & Religion
Going off the "anyone still a christian" post, if you believe in Jesus, what do you believe about him. I personally, and i could be way off, but i think he was a very influentual spiritual leader. Do i think he created us and the universe? No. Do think this single man knows what everyone is doing and thinking and he has our life planned out? No. I believe in science, nature, big bang theory, I believe jesus christ is like the buddha in many ways, however i accept them both as men not as Gods. I do not follow any christian beliefs though. I stick to 100% Buddhism. I hope this makes sense. I am curious as to what others think of this?

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    Moving this to Comparing Religions...
  • I tend to agree with Alan Watt's perspective

SriBrandonpoptart
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2012
    Jesus reminds me of the Buddha in many ways. He was born into a culture of a particular religion, but was not satisfied, and so questioned these beliefs until coming to his own understanding (one that was unifying, rather than divisive). He then did what he could to bring people together, speaking from a great heart of humanity that I believe we all have the capacity to cultivate.

Do I think he was the son of God? Only if God means the same as Dharmakaya, and we're all sons and daughters (more technically we are the Father itself). Perhaps he exemplifies what it means to be truly human, to really know that you're a part of a unified reality, and this is what a true son or daughter knows. It would be the same as the realization of emptiness.

Was he enlightened? I very much would think he at least entered the stream, dissolving his view of self, and his view of God then shifted from the traditional Jewish view and became something closer to Emptiness/Mind/Dharmakaya. The God he speaks of is certainly much different than that of the Old Testament. If he were more enlightened, his teachings would have been even more different from their Jewish counterparts. This is all just speculation of course. He might not have been enlightened in this way, but still have been a very selfless and loving person that had great empathy.

(I'd recommend the Jefferson Bible, after having just read it. Only 84 pages or so, solely concerned with the life and teachings of Jesus without extraneous material.)
    Silouan
  • vlrox said:

Going off the "anyone still a christian" post, if you believe in Jesus, what do you believe about him. I personally, and i could be way off, but i think he was a very influentual spiritual leader. Do i think he created us and the universe? No. Do think this single man knows what everyone is doing and thinking and he has our life planned out? No. I believe in science, nature, big bang theory, I believe jesus christ is like the buddha in many ways, however i accept them both as men not as Gods. I do not follow any christian beliefs though. I stick to 100% Buddhism. I hope this makes sense. I am curious as to what others think of this?

There is a text regarding Avalokiteshvara as bringing certain brahma gods into existence and creating the world. What's more, many Buddhists consider Jesus to be a manifestation of Avalokiteshvara (one of an infinite multitude of course). That is, a manifestation of a representation of Buddhanature.
    Silouan
  • vlroxvlrox Explorer
    @Cloud How do you believe humans came here to earth.. via God? Nature? Science?
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

The Buddha for me is a collection of words that describe a life path to sufferings cessation. The path & the Buddha are experiences. If their authenticity is not experiential for you, all you have is a lot of dusty pages from eons past.

The accuracy of the who, what, when, why & where of a historical Buddha or Christ would be a surprising given how poorly humans maintain even today's truth.

Regardless of historical accuracy, one can live in the realm of story tellers or you can be that very story. One can endlessly titillate the mind with possibilities or be the beating heart of the experience.

I_AM_THAT
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    The distinction I make with regards to the two religions in my mind which would make me choose one over the other (call it personal prefference rather than superficial reasons) is the Buddha taught the four noble truths and the path to cessation of suffering.

Telly provided a wonderful speaker on comparitive religions and eastern philosophy or so-called religions. I suggest do some study! Find out for yourself
  • vlrox said:

Can I answer too? Because I always think this is an interesting question, especially given what is said in the canon.

I think that humans have more heavenly origins than what some scientists believe today. I do not think we are at all separate from nature or from animals... but in my mind, humans seem to have originated separately from animals, although similarly to them. For example, the canon describes abhasvara devas who came to live on the earth, and gradually became grosser and more like humans today. This makes much more sense to me than: "Well on most planets animal life keeps evolving and some of the lineages adapt more intelligently until human beings emerge from a 3 percent genetic difference."

This also makes me feel like original human beings are largely responsible for the generation of life. However, not humans as we are today.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited August 2012
    vlrox said:

That he was a wise man and everyone should aspire to behave like him. :)
    I do not follow any christian beliefs though. I stick to 100% Buddhism.
    Well technically, if you stick with 100% Buddhism, then you are by default, already following at least some christian beliefs IMO. 3 of the 10 Christian commandments at a minimum, perhaps even more. :)
  • My mother is a devout Christian and has a compassionate heart that would put most Buddhists to shame. The thing is, while the teachings of Jesus are of course important to her, it's the death and resurrection and the rest of the New Testament that focuses on Christ the Messiah-God that is the core of her religion.

She would say it doesn't matter how much you admire his ministry, all that was just to provide evidence of his Godhood and fulful the prophesies. It's not the message Jesus taught, but the act of sacrifice on the cross that matters.

She and I don't talk about our comparative practices much.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2012
    vlrox said:

That simple life arises when the conditions are right. More complex life comes from simple life clinging to itself (procreating) and adapting to its circumstances, over time. This explains all the adaptations in nature (even though the Earth has changed a lot, including its atmospheric content) and the extinct species, and the great variety of species we have today all uniquely adapted to their environments. I can accept that some of that life may have actually traveled here from other planets and adapted itself. The universe seems to be a natural breeding ground for life... when the conditions are right life arises, just like fire arises when the conditions are right. Just as consciousness arises due to conditions, according to the Buddha.

I think that those who say we descended from ape-like ancestors aren't looking back far enough, that we're actually descended from the most simple and basic life, just like every other life-form. ;) When we can't tell if something is "alive" or not, that's like the in-between going from what we recognize as not-life and what we recognize as life. It's all part of the same reality.

Why, what do you think?
    son_of_dhamma
  • Cloud said:

vlrox said:

That simple life arises when the conditions are right. More complex life comes from simple life clinging to itself (procreating) and adapting to its circumstances, over time. This explains all the adaptations in nature (even though the Earth has changed a lot, including its atmospheric content) and the extinct species, and the great variety of species we have today all uniquely adapted to their environments. I can accept that some of that life may have actually traveled here from other planets and adapted itself. The universe seems to be a natural breeding ground for life... when the conditions are right life arises, just like fire arises when the conditions are right. Just as consciousness arises due to conditions, according to the Buddha.

I think that those who say we descended from ape-like ancestors aren't looking back far enough, that we're actually descended from the most simple and basic life, just like every other life-form. ;) When we can't tell if something is "alive" or not, that's like the in-between going from what we recognize as not-life and what we recognize as life. It's all part of the same reality.

Why, what do you think?
    I think you're right on.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2012
    @son_of_dhamma, It's one view anyway... my working theory, based on reason and experience. :D
  • Cloud said:

@son_of_dhamma, It's one view anyway... my working theory, based on reason and experience. :D

If it's based on reason and experience and it doesn't contradict itself, it's truthful. That's what I contend anyway.
  • Jesus, Buddha, Krishna they are all enlightened master who taught the same ideas of love and compassion for eachother and the divine. The problem is many hard core Christians condemn it and preach that we are going to burn in hell for ever because we worship the teachings of these "demons"
  • Telly03 said:

I tend to agree with Alan Watt's perspective

I agree with Alan here....well said. Everyone should watch this video

poptart
  • The old testament God was an extraterrestrial -

www.bibleufo.com

http://tinyurl.com/9k4dd4q

Personally, I agree that both Christ & Buddha were great teachers & examples of how-2-live!

Cheers
    Cloud
  • The old testament God was an extraterrestrial -

www.bibleufo.com

http://tinyurl.com/9k4dd4q

Personally, I agree that both Christ & Buddha were great teachers & examples of how-2-live!

Cheers
  • For more on Buddhism & ET's ...

http://www.galactic-server.com/rampa/rahermit1.html

It's a great book if you ever see it 4 sale anywhere ...

:)
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Cloud said:

(I'd recommend the Jefferson Bible, after having just read it. Only 84 pages or so, solely concerned with the life and teachings of Jesus without extraneous material.)

Glad to see you read that. Very interesting, isn't it? If each Christian could just live up to that it would be remarkable.

Cloud
    vlrox said:

Going off the "anyone still a christian" post, if you believe in Jesus, what do you believe about him. ...

Since you asked, I see Jesus and Buddha and a few others (not sure who to include...but it would be a small list) as "enlightened" (I use the word not necessarily in the Buddhist sense) teachers. In my view, they each taught a moral code to different societies. There's more to my thoughts on this issue, but I will leave it to that.

• I ordered the Jefferson Bible after hearing it discussed here... It came in, my wife grabbed it first, so i have to wait till she is done :)
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    Telly03 said:

I ordered the Jefferson Bible after hearing it discussed here... It came in, my wife grabbed it first, so i have to wait till she is done :)

You can always read it here, while you wait. Also, the Smithsonian has Jefferson's original online. :)
    Telly03
  • @Telly03, Since it's only 80-something pages long, it's a very short read. :D
  • This is a most difficult question to answer, but I would say its knowing that no matter how much one may love Him He returns more than one possibly can give. I hope that makes sense, but that's the best I can describe it.
  • Telly03Telly03 Veteran
    edited September 2012
    Silouan said:

This is a most difficult question to answer, but I would say its knowing that no matter how much one may love Him He returns more than one possibly can give. I hope that makes sense, but that's the best I can describe it.

Is the lack of feeling any divine love evidence there is no God? Such as the cases of kids and women who were kidnapped, tortured and raped for 20 years or so... they probably didn't feel God's love... and how many prayers or cries for help went unanswered, or God's answer was "I'm not going to help you"
  • I was raised Christian and I am simply disgusted with how self-proclaimed Christians use the Bible to justify their petty concerns. Christianity is a complete turnoff for me.

I feel it's entirely possible that Jesus rehashed a few Buddhist concepts that were alien to the Hebrew mentality. Jesus lived about 500 years after Buddha. There are about 20 years of Jesus' life that are unaccounted for in the gospels. Possibly he studied Buddhism in Asia or Egypt. Even the gospels say he traveled to Egypt as a youth.

That would explain why there are occasional jewels of wisdom interspersed with utter nonsense, with which either he or later writers entirely diluted any original freshness.

Here is an interesting website for further reading: http://www.jesusneverexisted.com/buddha.html
    Telly03
  • Thanks 4 the site!
  • @Telly03
    God is present whether we accept or reject His love. However, you are attempting to disprove God because there is suffering in the world. To assume that answers to prayers must always come in the form of external signs or miracles is a very shallow understanding of the internal spiritual life. Perhaps during these tragedies you mentioned God was providing strength, peace, and inner stillness even unto death.

We ought not to concern ourselves with the judging and condemning of others lest we find ourselves in like circumstances and have wasted our time doing that instead of preparing ourselves.

I think for me that situation would be beyond my measure, and it serves as a reminder that I definitely need more attention to what’s going on in my own heart. How about you?

@jazzman

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, and perhaps the form of Christianity you were associated with could not fulfill your spiritual needs. Keep in mind that same persons you are judging in a desperate time of your need could be there to help you and not think twice about doing so.

Also, to assume that the development of the various traditions of Buddhism was not influenced by other spiritual sources as well is suspect in my view. For example there was a Jewish presence in India around the time of the Buddha though in a limited capacity, and one only has to examine more closely the various Mahayana doctrines and deities to see some connection with Christianity such as the myth of Amitabha and the Trikaya. The Buddha certainly did not speak of these things.

Also, Buddhism did not arrive in Tibet until about the 5th century, and I have heard speculation that the rise of the practice of Dzogchen may have been influenced by sojourning Christian mystics. That would be a fascinating study.

Kundo
  • Silouan said:

@Telly03
    God is present whether we accept or reject His love. However, you are attempting to disprove God because there is suffering in the world. To assume that answers to prayers must always come in the form of external signs or miracles is a very shallow understanding of the internal spiritual life. Perhaps during these tragedies you mentioned God was providing strength, peace, and inner stillness even unto death.

We ought not to concern ourselves with the judging and condemning of others lest we find ourselves in like circumstances and have wasted our time doing that instead of preparing ourselves.

I think for me that situation would be beyond my measure, and it serves as a reminder that I definitely need more attention to what’s going on in my own heart. How about you?

If it makes you feel better that people who are tortured, raped and such are experiencing God's strength, peace and inner stillness, then enjoy those rose colored glasses.

Those situations are not a reminder for me to pay more attention to what's going on in my own heart, which I trust and hope is doing its job of pumping blood, I think we are guilty enough of turning a blind eye to the suffering of others... It makes us feel better to call it God's will, but the suffering caused by the hands of others is exactly that, and to say that a child being raped is experiencing God's peace is an evil thing to say.
    MaryAnne
  • Telly03 said:

Very interesting. I'd go so far as to say "brilliant". :)
  • My understanding is that the basic premise of Christianity is blind faith -- in which intelligent inquiry is heresy.

By contrast, it is my understanding that the working premise of Buddhism is inquiry and discovery, like science -- in which intelligence is our greatest asset.

So wherever Buddhism is tainted by Christianity, it is a detriment to Buddhism.
    Telly03
  • @jazzman
    That would be an incorrect understanding. Christianity is not of blind faith though it is possible to approach anything that way, and sometimes to devastating effects.
  • @Telly03
    That is a misunderstanding of God's will. Perhaps you can provide more details regarding your definition.
  • Telly03Telly03 Veteran
    edited September 2012
    Silouan said:

@Telly03
    That is a misunderstanding of God's will. Perhaps you can provide more details regarding your definition.

Of course we are going to have a different understanding of the term since you believe there is a God, and I don't... I simply view the term as an excuse to not have to take responsibility

jazzman said:

My understanding is that the basic premise of Christianity is blind faith -- in which intelligent inquiry is heresy.

By contrast, it is my understanding that the working premise of Buddhism is inquiry and discovery, like science -- in which intelligence is our greatest asset.

So wherever Buddhism is tainted by Christianity, it is a detriment to Buddhism.

Saying that "the basic premise of Christianity is blind faith -- in which intelligent inquiry is heresy" is first, a statement that harkens back to times when the Catholic faith was led by those in the Spanish Inquisition or the Salem Witch Trails. And that's no more effective in today's world than noting that in the most-Buddhist nation in the world (95% of its population is self-professed Buddhist) that animism is an active part of Thai Buddhism.

You can't lump all Christians together. Even back in the 1970s, when I was earning two degrees in the Geosciences, all of my geology professors (whether they be paleontologists, glaciologists, structural geologists, or other categories) believed in evolution and believed in a roughly 4.5-5 billion year-long geologic time scale. Yet, they were virtually all active Christians who attended church (some were Catholic, others were Protestant) fairly regularly. And, throughout my life, the majority of Christians I have known accepted the basic premise of evolution and virtually all don't believe anything approaching Archbishop Usher's "proof" that the earth was created in 4004 B.C. In fact, most laugh at such silly thoughts.

You are also confusing "formal religion" from "personal religion". We all know what the Pope says about birth control, as one good example. Yet, in a recent poll, 58% of all American Catholics agree employers should be required to provide their employees with health care plans that cover contraception, and 98% of all American women use birth control at some point in their life. In another poll of just Catholics, 82% accept birth control as being morally acceptable. Yet, in terms of your heresy comment, I'm not aware of any American Catholics in recent years who have been excommunicated from the Catholic Church. And, similarly, in terms of Buddhism, from my perspective, based on what is written in this forum, I would say that very few people on this forum live a strict (or would the term conventional be better) Mayhayanan or Theravadan lifestyle.

In terms of Buddhism and science, while -- as a trained scientist -- I might say Buddhism is somewhat more open to scientific inquiry, there's an awfully lot in the Buddhist scriptures which are no more supported by science than are things in the Bible. There are members of this forum who will laugh at Christian heaven and hell, but who fully believe in multiple levels of Buddhist heavens and hells. That's not a scientific perspective.
    Telly03DaftChris
  • Thank you for your thoughtful response, vinlan.

I suppose religion is an individual journey, and I would be remiss to categorize people according to the belief system they favor.

All I know of Buddhism is what I have read, and it appears more open to inquiry and personal experimentation than Christianity -- where you either believe Jesus saved you or you go to hell, end of story.

Yes I do know well-meaning and loving Christians. However, it almost seems to me as though they are good-hearted people DESPITE the dogma they adhere to.
  • I was raised catholic, and I can accept that there are people who believe in god.
    Why criticize others beliefs if they don't agree with yours?
    Jesus was a good man, as was Buddha. There are many great teachers in history that we can all learn from. Each taught in their own way to those that would listen.

Here is a quote from Lama Yeshe that I really think sums it all up

If your path teaches you to act and exert yourself correctly and leads to spiritual realizations such as love, compassion and wisdom then obviously it's worthwhile.

~Lama Thubten Yeshe~
    vinlynRebeccaSKundo
  • Why criticize others beliefs if they don't agree with yours?
    Hmm. I could ask you the same thing.
  • I'm sorry, I don't believe I've ever criticized anyone's religious beliefs
  • Your quote specifically addresses the individual. "If YOUR path leads YOU ...".

It doesn't state whether or not you should be concerned with who is criticizing others' beliefs. Yet you apparently thought it illustrates acceptance of others' beliefs. It doesn't mention others' beliefs. You posted the quote, I didn't.

Actually it is a positive scientific observation to witness where belief systems limit others' abilities to transcend the self, which is the whole goal of spirituality. If I wish to be aware of the pitfalls along the way to true enlightenment, I need to be able to discern them both in myself and others. In fact, when I observe others I am observing myself too. So criticism is a valid attribute of intelligence. Doubt and criticism are the only way to sharpen intelligence.
  • Saying that "the basic premise of Christianity is blind faith -- in which intelligent inquiry is heresy" is first, a statement that harkens back to times when the Catholic faith was led by those in the Spanish Inquisition or the Salem Witch Trails [sic}
    Tell you what. Go to any Christian church anywhere and announce that Jesus is not God and he never saved anyone by getting himself crucified. Please let us know what reaction you get.

Now if that is not a perfect example of blind faith in ridiculous dogma, then someone is intentionally or unintentionally blind.
    jazzman said:

Saying that "the basic premise of Christianity is blind faith -- in which intelligent inquiry is heresy" is first, a statement that harkens back to times when the Catholic faith was led by those in the Spanish Inquisition or the Salem Witch Trails [sic}
    Tell you what. Go to any Christian church anywhere and announce that Jesus is not God and he never saved anyone by getting himself crucified. Please let us know what reaction you get.

Now if that is not a perfect example of blind faith in ridiculous dogma, then someone is intentionally or unintentionally blind.

Jazzman, that means nothing. Go to any Buddhist temple (at least the one's I've been to) and announce that Buddha was not enlightened and you're not apt to be appreciated, either.

Kundo
  • My quote does say to "exert yourself correctly", is criticizing others right action?
    So criticism is a valid attribute of intelligence. Doubt and criticism are the only way to sharpen intelligence.
    Questioning things, doubting, and seeking out the answer is a way to sharpen our intelligence.
    All one would learn from being criticized is how it feels to be belittled by another.
    Which is not practicing love or compassion.

• My quote does say to "exert yourself correctly", is criticizing others right action?

So criticism is a valid attribute of intelligence. Doubt and criticism are the only way to sharpen intelligence.
    Questioning things, doubting, and seeking out the answer is a way to sharpen our intelligence.
    All one would learn from being criticized is how it feels to be belittled by another.
    Which is not practicing love or compassion.

This is why it is so difficult to discuss religion and politics, people become so personally attached to their position, and it becomes sacred and off limits to criticism.
  • Of course we are going to have a different understanding of the term since you believe there is a God, and I don't... I simply view the term as an excuse to not have to take responsibility
    @Telly03
    We can agree on that, but I wasn't implying that we wash our hands from what we do.

I can only speak as part of the Orthodox Church that its teachings are much more deep and far from what you suggest is Christian belief. It is a way of life and about transformation. The mysteries of the faith are revealed as continue your life long spiritual journey. Its about personal experience and not just information collecting.

We have a saying in the that “no sin goes unhidden”. What ever negative thoughts, words, and deeds that we may think insignificant or kept secret from others not only affects ourselves but others too, because we are all interconnected. How we think definitely determines our individual lives and community too.

When we see a tragedy as you described we are all responsible and accountable for it, because we too harbor negative attitudes. Being a former Buddhist I see no dichotomy in this understanding. It is shared belief.

If you are a Buddhist perhaps you can tell me why you believe in the teachings. Is there some kind of evidence or personal experiences that validate what you believe?