Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Why are you against Christianity?

vlroxvlrox Explorer
edited August 2012 in Faith & Religion
Just really curious, I have many reasons. 1.) WHy if there was all powerful God would there be such chaos? 2.) Why are we born with defects? 3.) How does one man create a whole universe? 4.) How does this one man know what everyone is thinking all the time? 5.) Why are they not tolerant of freedom of choice/religion for others? And so many more reasons i just cant think right now lol. Why dont you believe in God? Worship God etc. What led you to Buddhism?
son_of_dhamma

Comments

• Circumstance
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Im not against Christianity it just has had nothing to do with me or my upbringing. There are many reasons as to why I find religions like this unappealing mainly because they are not at all in accordance with logic or cause and effect.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    I don't believe in it's core tenants (God, etc.), never did really, even though I went to catholic school for 11 years, ha! Don't know why really, just never believed in that

But I'm not against it as it does have a lot of wisdom in it. "Thou shall not kill, not steal, not commit adultery", "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you", "Thou Shalt Love Thy Neighbor as Thyself", etc, etc. Pretty difficult to be against those things. :)
  • vlroxvlrox Explorer
    maybe i meant to say why do you question and not believe in christianity i did not mean to say be against. lol.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited August 2012
    OK..
    (1) Without chaos we'd all have mushrooms for brains. Zombies deserve treats too.
    (2) Life without defects prevents evolution from happening....ooops!
    (3) What's a guy without a woman supposed to do with his time?
    (4) Because no one else responded to that want ad?
    (5) LOL, yeah, I wonder if Christians have a similar posts against Buddhism.
    coz
  • I'm not 'against it' - I just don't subscribe to it.

Does it really matter what others think about it, or if they subscribe to it or not? :)

I have traveled a very long and winding path through two prior spiritual belief systems to arrive at the door of Buddhism a couple of years ago. Although I've known of Buddhism and had been applying much of the Buddhist philosophy to my Pagan practice for many years -- it's only a couple of years ago that I decided to admit to myself that I had abandoned the idea of God/Goddess/Supreme Being and I'm very comfortable and satisfied with that decision.

I really don't want to waste thought or effort trying to figure out why others are on their own (different) paths. Whatever floats their boat and makes them happy.

• I am not against Christianity as such. The basis of ALL religions is love & peace.

Here's an interesting link -

http://www.thezensite.com/non_Zen/Was_Jesus_Buddhist.html
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    I must admit I don't know much about it......never looked at the Bible or been to a church service.

If it makes someone happy and a better person then I have no problem with it though. As long as they don't preach at me about it :)
  • evolveevolve Explorer
    instinctively i guess i dont like the discrimination of only some christians but other than that, i think we all forget that most christians dont realize they're even being wrong and they're just afraid and want to be loved like everyone else. they just use different words but its the same meaning as others
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    I'm not against Christianity or any religion. I'm against people who misuse religion for power and/or protection. Both are illusions. So maybe you could say that I'm against illusionists....allthough that David Blaine is a compelling Quantam Mechanic.... hmmmmm.... but at least he's honest about his deception. I guess this question is more complicated than I thought it was. :crazy:
    lissuin28
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    My biggest hang up is the idea that we have what amounts to the blink of an eye to determine our fate for all eternity. Even more than that some people are born into loving Christian homes and seem to be almost certain to follow a path towards salvation while others are born into homes that use Christianity as a weapon and become averse to it, while still others have very little exposure to it at all. If God is all powerful and created this system why such disparity in the likelyhood of positive outcomes?
    Sile
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2012
    I'm for Christianity if it's following in the footsteps of Jesus, of his teachings... if it's about clinging to the Old Testament and discriminating, then no. I very much think Jesus saw Judaism as harmful in its portrayal of God and meant to change how God was perceived entirely, but we seem to have only come half-way toward realizing that. We accept Jesus' teachings while also holding on to the Hebrew ones that are contrary to them, that are about strict obedience to God rather than love. I think Islam was a movement against Christianity, to re-instate this obedience.
    SimonBeej
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited August 2012
    I distrust any 'helpful' persuasion that does not encourage its adherents to leave their institutional home behind. If ever there were a golden calf, that strikes me as the most seductive and golden of the lot ... a false teaching of the worst sort.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    not against it for anyone else. Just for me. It just doesn't make sense to me. Being in church or praying in that way (being in the way I was taught at Bible school and by my parents) did nothing for me except waste my time. I never felt loved or listened to, I never felt at peace. I spent a lot of time feeling worthless because I called to Jesus as I was told many times, and never got any sort of answer. As others said, the core teachings of Christianity and other religions are the same. But for me, reading the Bible and learning Christianity was like reading another language. It just did not speak to me.

I also don't like that it's so fear-based. Everything is about obeying out of fear of punishment, and even people I know who really are good Christians, live in fear of going to hell, live in fear of judgement by God, even though by all accords they are living good lives. I don't get on board with fear and judgement.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    I am not against Christianity but my earliest remembered act of defiance was being 6 and steadfastly refusing to go with my family to Anglican Sunday service. I think I was an oddly compliant kid so my stand caught everyone off guard. I don't remember my objection being anything more profound than it was just an unfunny circus that I had to wear uncomfortable grey flannel pants to. My neighbour told my grandmother that" I was the spawn of the devil incarnate". Ah those friendly smiling Anglicans.

My older sister thinks I was born Buddhist for my tendency to happily stare at a little patch of earth for hours for all that could be observed in it. I think that's a diplomatic way for a sister to call her brother, simple.
    CloudRebeccaSBeej
  • jlljll Veteran
    christians believe that jesus died for all our sins, therefore you are saved if you accept jesus as your saviour.
    they believe in an all knowing omnipotent god.
    if god is all powerful and compassionate, the world would be very different.
    when they cant explain something, they say god works in mysterious ways.
    it is a fantasy.
    i dont believe in the christian god, i believe in the japanese god. lets see whose god is more powerful!
    vlrox said:

Just really curious, I have many reasons. 1.) WHy if there was all powerful God would there be such chaos? 2.) Why are we born with defects? 3.) How does one man create a whole universe? 4.) How does this one man know what everyone is thinking all the time? 5.) Why are they not tolerant of freedom of choice/religion for others? And so many more reasons i just cant think right now lol. Why dont you believe in God? Worship God etc. What led you to Buddhism?

son_of_dhamma
  • I quite like Christianity overall. It didn't work for me personally as a religion, but mostly because of the people, not the teachings. Too much fear and guilt for me. But I love Jesus, and I really like some of the stuff in the Bible.

I don't think the Christian God is a nasty God, I think He just became that way through the mouths of men who project their own issues. They'd do it onto any deity.

I like Christianity, the real deep stuff, but so much of it is just politics and that doesn't work for me :)
    Beej
  • You're OP assumes that all shades of buddhism have no God. Mine does, and good, compassionate, inclusive christian beliefs I have do as well. Don't just take the surface level born again christian view for the only, there's christian philosophy that takes God as a metaphor for love and vice versa, without the literal interpretation crap that spawns the hate. The most compassionate, intelligent christians you've ever met you probably didnt' realize, because they didn't see the need to preach or judge, they just were kind(friendly). It's the maniacs of every religion that give it a bad name, there are millions of open-minded others that associate with those teachings. That goes for all of them.
    RebeccaSvinlynDaftChris
  • cacto said:

You're OP assumes that all shades of buddhism have no God. Mine does, and good, compassionate, inclusive christian beliefs I have do as well. Don't just take the surface level born again christian view for the only, there's christian philosophy that takes God as a metaphor for love and vice versa, without the literal interpretation crap that spawns the hate. The most compassionate, intelligent christians you've ever met you probably didnt' realize, because they didn't see the need to preach or judge, they just were kind(friendly). It's the maniacs of every religion that give it a bad name, there are millions of open-minded others that associate with those teachings. That goes for all of them.

Yeah but she isn't talking about "different shades of Christianity." She is regarding Christianity in its commonplaceness, in its unity and foundations, and in its own solidarity. Sure there are different opinions and practices throughout Christianity, but Christianity itself is a single religion. It's not the surface being addressed here, it's the core of Christianity.
  • son_of_dhamma
    it's the core of Christianity
    Things don't have cores though, which is sort of what we're learning in Buddhism. Oh, the Nicene Creed might SAY it is a core document, mission statement, exclusionary principle etc. But is it?

Christianity is as it is practiced, it's not merely what particularly political and vocal people say it is.
  • son_of_dhamma

it's the core of Christianity
    Things don't have cores though, which is sort of what we're learning in Buddhism. Oh, the Nicene Creed might SAY it is a core document, mission statement, exclusionary principle etc. But is it?

Christianity is as it is practiced, it's not merely what particularly political and vocal people say it is.

I'm not talking about the Nicean Council. I'm not talking about the first pope. I'm talking about Jesus Christ teaching and lineage. Jesus definitely had a core teaching just like the Buddha had a core teaching. Gautama, like all Buddhas, taught the fourfold truth, impermanence, unsatisfactoriness, and emptiness, samsara, etc.

(However the nature of Christ's teachings are religious.)
  • PrairieGhostPrairieGhost Veteran
    edited August 2012
    son_of_dhamma:
    Jesus definitely had a core teaching just like the Buddha had a core teaching.
    There does seem to be a myriad of opinions as to what that core teaching actually was though. Similar to the notion of self.

I think that it would be very difficult to construct a religion around Christ's or the Buddha's teachings, which is why it didn't happen.

• I'm not against Christianity. I'm right next to it, but not against it. I *am* against hypocrisy in any form however, but that's not limited to Christians by a long shot.
    I_AM_THATBeejMaryAnneNomaDBuddha
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    To the OP:
    I am not. In fact, don't ask me where as I can't recall the sutta, but the Buddha thought given the alternative between annihalation and eternalism, eternalism was the bestter choice. Is it my choice? No. But if it lightens one's life and gives hope and joy, why not?
  • To the OP:
    I am not. In fact, don't ask me where as I can't recall the sutta, but the Buddha thought given the alternative between annihalation and eternalism, eternalism was the bestter choice. Is it my choice? No. But if it lightens one's life and gives hope and joy, why not?

yeah pretty much consistent with Brahmanism, Krsna. But really I've had insight into the idea that the Christian entity of God is actually Avalokiteshvara. Especially from a more esoteric/brahmanic perspective, tantra etc. It's actually pretty consistent and straightforward after reading the new testament and studying the lore of Avalokiteshvara. It's like Bodhisattva Buddhism with an eternalistic view.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited August 2012
    Sometimes Buddhism reminds me of the original twilight zone's absorbing Blob filled with well mannored Borg. Oh Yeah, this thread was about those other guys.

My sympathies Virox. I sometimes forget what living in a Christian dominated community can feel like for someone seen as a rejection of that belief..
  • vlroxvlrox Explorer
    I am not agaginst christianity. I do not like feeling guilty, living in fear, worshiping someone, and praying to someone who may or may not be listening. I do not like being judged. church is not for me. And christianity is not for me either. I was just curious as to others opinions bc where i come from christianity is all there is. No diversity whatsoever and if you do not believe in the christian god then nobody likes you, accpets you or anything. Which i struggle with that everyday. I am an outsider bc i dont believe in a supreme being or the christian god. And my family i sactually being the most hateful and rude to me.
    son_of_dhamma
  • I am not against Christianity. I just don't believe in it but to believers, it works.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    vlrox said:

..... And my family i sactually being the most hateful and rude to me.

I'm sorry to hear this....
    Is there anything you'd like to discuss further on this matter?
    Feel free to post in the 'Members-Only' forum. That one's away from prying eyes and curious searches..... ;)

• SimonSimon Explorer
    I am 'against' Christianity.
    I've read that Fidel Castro, leader of a formerly atheist state, once said 'from the standpoint of social vision, I declare that I am a Christian'. And I reckon I could agree with that, but then again couldn't anyone? In my mind, the teachings that we deem to be acceptable, or even inspired, are not specifically Christian values. 'Love your neighbor a yourself', 'do unto others as you would have them do to you' etc. These are human values that we all have, because of our shared evolutionary past.

I find that Christianity has good intention, but carries an enormous amount of baggage. It tells it's followers to follow blindly as members of the flock, to feel ashamed of their basest desires and to love something that they should also fear. It is unnecessarily repressive; whether or not that is by design.

To a great extent I think that the historical Jesus of Nazareth's objective has been forgotten, and his intention corrupted by later Christian institution. Instead of humble and welcoming, it is now in many cases greedy and coercive. The modern Catholic church especially bears the weight of a shameful history associated with some of humanities most terrible acts of cruelty.
    In essence I just feel that Christianity lacks a certain purity that truly beautiful philosophy requires. It's just not for me basically.
    MaryAnne
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited August 2012
    Admittedly, I've been fairly critical of Christianity as an institution for most of my life, not to mention certain scriptural passages that are, in my eyes, less than divine. And yet, I find myself coming to appreciate Christianity, and Orthodox Christianity in particular, as an extension of the ancient Greek mystery religions mixed with a bit of Eastern mysticism; although much of its 'mystery' seems to have been lost on many of its adherents.

My appreciation began after reading an interview with Archimandrite Dionysios, and discovering that Gregory Palamas is said to have constantly prayed: "Enlighten my darkness." It also struck me how Hesychastic prayer bears a superficial resemblance with Buddhist meditation, e.g., specific body postures, deliberate breathing patterns, acquiring an inner stillness, sense restraint, etc. It was years ago, however, and my appreciation quickly faded; but it was recently rekindled by my reading of Plato's Republic, as well as other of his dialogues, and a conversation I had at a local Greek Orthodox church a couple of years ago.

While I practice Buddhism and am interested in things like philosophy and religion in general, I'm a very skeptical and secular person by nature, and have really never believed in a jealous, nitpicky creator god. I also have a hard time seeing into what some call 'the realm of the divine' — i.e., Plato's realm of forms, Spinoza's absolute substance, Buddhism's unconditioned reality — and I regularly doubt that such a realm even exists, but my recent readings of Plato have at least piqued my interest in trying. And talking with my guide from Holy Trinity during the annual Greek festival got me thinking about Christianity in a whole new way, especially the aspects of Christian philosophy influenced by Plato, Plotinus, and even the Gnostics.

In addition, our dear friend Simon (a veteran member who still comes around every now and then) shared with me some of his ideas regarding the "excellence of the synthesis of the messages and practices" of Buddhism and Christianity, e.g.:
    Both you and I, I seem to remember, find inspiration in the Gospel of Thomas, which sometimes makes it hard to dialogue with those Christians who reject it as authentic or inspired, nevertheless, there are still enough hints in the canonical New Testament to point us to areas of the Way that Jesus taught that have tended to be overlooked or ignored in practice, and the same goes for the Buddhist sutras. These gaps are, to some extent, filled when both are brought together.

Here are some examples:

Jesus says that we are "deny our selves". This occurs in both the canonical and the Thomas gospels, although Thomas is closer to an 'Eastern' approach, an abandonment of ahamkara (the word McGregor Ross uses in his Thomas translations), of atman. The classical explanation is one of self-denial, of disciplining the senses but stops short of a denial of 'self'. I would argue that the Buddhist notion of the aggregates empowers the Christian's self denying practices, making it mindful of the deceit of the world that is often the subject of scripture. Here, as in other examples, Buddhist texts reveal a model of 'how' and Christian texts reveal outcome, particularly if we take the Teilhard view of the Cosmic Christ and the Omega Point. The thorny question of 'soul' must, in the end, be up to each one of us to decide for ourselves, if possible from our own experiences arising from practice or enlightenment.

Of course, there are challenges. By and large, Christians do not accept the notion of anatta as traditionally described and Buddhists object to a teleology or purposefulness other than personal. We have to go deeper.

Deeper brings us to sunyatta and kenosis and the mystery of creative emptiness. Much argument is wasted on whether or not there is a 'Creator', conceived along quasi-human lines. As I see it, Jesus reveals that there is compassion and caring which is behind and subtends all that is, from which all arises and into which all falls back, and that this parent-like caring is personal as well as ineffable. It is, if you like, the Buddha-nature (or indwelling Christ) of the universe.

Arising from the depths of mystery, a further example of creative interaction between Buddhism and Christianity is in the realm of social and politico-economic action. Buddhism, for too long, has tended towards a solipsistic approach, focusing on individual Awakening and ignoring political action. It is salutary to notice that Buddhists like Thich Nhat Hanh or Joanna Macy, along with His Holiness the Dalai Lama, coming to the Western tradition, have brought in an emphasis on 'good works', an area where Christians have been active for many centuries. Whereas there are excellent schools, hospitals and other 'guardian' institutions which were founded by and continue to be run by Christian groups across the ages, catering for all faiths and none, delivering services at the point of need, similar Buddhist institutions are few and far between - indeed, I can only think of hospices or animal sanctuaries. The abolition of slavery, too, is a further example.

From these few examples, you may be able to see why and how I developed, for myself, a 'hermeneutic', a way of reading scriptures and of seeing the world which rejects exclusivity of truth to any one theory or body of faith in favour of another: each brings something to the party. Often, however, I need to sit for a while with a contradiction or a 'knot' before I can penetrate the symbolism because I truly believe that we perceive shadows, as Plato taught in his Cave Myth, and it is up to us to spend the effort needed to understand what casts the shadows, the Reality behind apparent phenomena. In this, I recognise that I am in the mainstream of neither Buddhism, which can be seen as denying an ultimate Reality, and Christianity which ignores dependent origination.

Years ago I came across a talk given at the World Council of Churches by an IT specialist priest who likened the unfolding universe to a computer program. Such a program, they said, who need to be answering a question and the question is there, in one of the creation stories in Genesis (1:26): "Let us create in our own image". Thus we are part of the (to us) long process by which Compassionate Creativity is achieving that goal. And why? The next (older) story gives us the clue: (2:18) "It is not good to be alone." Inherent in these texts are also the notions of relationship and interbeing.
    A lot of what Simon wrote reminded me of what the amiable gentleman at the church said, especially regarding the notions of relationship and interbeing. For example, he said that in talking to me, he saw God. Not that I was God, but that there's something special, something divine, in our interactions with other people. This brought to mind one of the images of hell mentioned by the deacon in one of the church tours earlier in the day — that of being utterly alone — and I couldn't help but be reminded of the Buddha's words to his cousin, Ananda, in SN 45.2:
    Admirable friendship, admirable companionship, admirable camaraderie is actually the whole of the holy life.
    I also found it interesting that Simon mentioned the allegory of the cave from Plato's Republic since it's one of the things that helped motivate me to explore this subject in the first place. (I even wrote a blog post comparing some of what's in the Republic to many of the things the Buddha is recorded as saying in the Pali Canon.)

I'm not planning on converting to Christianity anytime soon; still, I do feel like I'm deepening my own practice and understanding of Buddhism simply by allowing myself to be open to these, for lack of a better word, mysteries. This is not only due to the works of Plato and my conversation at Holy Trinity, but to people like David Cooper (God is a Verb), Thomas Merton (Mystics and Zen Masters), and Simon who continually seek to find harmony between spiritual disciplines. Perhaps in time I'll go back to my old, critical ways, but for now, I'm still enjoying this newfound appreciation of what devoted people of all religious disciplines have to offer.
    edited August 2012
    @Jason - I just brought this to attention in this other thread, which you may have already read, but in case not the video of the Essenes may certainly interst you, though it may be merely introductory to you, as it seems you have a pretty good foundation of historical reference. Also, Have you ever read Doubt by Jennifer Michael Hecht?
    http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/comment/294689/#Comment_294689
    I haven't seen the video yet, nor have I read Doubt, but I'll definitely check out the video when I have a spare hour or so.
  • Lotus21Lotus21 Indiana Explorer
    I am less interested in a Creator or Savior.
    I am much more interested after that.
    It begins from me and ends with me.
    vlrox
    edited August 2012
    To add a bit to what I wrote above regarding Plato and Christianity, reading dialogues like Gorgias makes it easy to see why Plato's philosophy became so influential among many early Christian thinkers and writers, especially its strong focus on the importance of virtue, defense of suffering martyrdom in the cause of truth, and concluding myth that all souls are judged after death.

Personally, I think Christianity would be much better off just sticking with Plato and the Jefferson Bible, and getting rid of all that Old Testament, grumpy God business (although the OT does has some good parts, too, like the 'wisdom' books), not to mention most of the writings of Paul (Thomas Jefferson went so far as to deem him "the first corrupter of the doctrines of Jesus").

I mean, in Plato, you've got all the best things about Christian ethics and theology, just without all the homophobia and gender inequality (especially dialogues like Gorgias, Symposium, and Republic). It's hard for me to imagine a perfectly loving God condemning anyone's sexuality or their expression thereof as an abomination (Lev 20:13), or excluding women from positions of authority in the Church (1 Cor. 14:34-35).

While I don't believe in a creator God, nor, as a consequence, that Jesus is the son of God/God in the flesh, I do have a soft spot for Jesus as a spiritual teacher, and I think some of the things he's reported as saying in the New Testament are pretty cool. I especially like, "Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone" (John 8:7), the Sermon on the Mount, and his many teachings on forgiveness.

But even with my growing appreciation for Christianity, I definitely tend to lean more towards the heterodox, which is precisely why I think Platonic rationality and Socratic dialectic would make a much better ethical and theological foundation than the rigid, scriptural dogmatism that dominates Christianity today (I think one could even say the same about Buddhism). In fact, from what I've read, I bet Socrates and Jesus would've been best mates. The Buddha too.
    CloudBeej
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2012
    Jason said:

Personally, I think Christianity would be much better off just sticking with Plato and the Jefferson Bible, and getting rid of all that Old Testament, grumpy God business, not to mention most of the writings of Paul. (Thomas Jefferson went so far as to deem him "the first corrupter of the doctrines of Jesus.")

I've read this Jefferson Bible recently, and I agree it seems the Old Testament is contrary to Jesus' purpose in teaching... he meant to show people that their conception of God was lacking, that God's spirit was the spirit of love and that we should all love one another (even our enemies). If people were able to drop the Old Testament, I think a Christianity based on the New Testament (or Jefferson Bible for that matter) alone would be much more compassionate and non-discriminatory where issues such as sexuality are concerned. However people can't drop the Old Testament, because that's where they get their assurance in Creation, with Genesis and such. As such they cling to the entire thing, which includes old-world views that are divisive rather than unifying.

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2012
    @TheBeejAbides, I downloaded and watched that lecture/presentation (and I'm very glad that for the majority of it the camera focused on the projector feed rather than the guy standing there talking). I've never really known much about the Essenes, but I can see how Jesus might have been one of them and how his teachings could've come from their doctrines and views of reality. This certainly makes me want to learn more about them (I can sense a Google coming on)!

The Essenes do seem to express a kind of "awakening" that may be behind many religions... however the circumstances may have led to the same reality being presented in different ways. It may be the same reality indeed that Buddhism speak of, perhaps even the same as the reality of Hinduism. Whether it's an actual being or not, God or Brahman or Emptiness/Mind may be this singular reality that we are awakened to throughout time.

"The value here of these teachings is to see that it didn't just all begin with a people in a desert. That they carried with them something that was universal; not ethnic, not national, not just for them. That in limited ways they expressed it until it was fully expressed, for those of us who recognize it, in the one we call Jesus the Christ."

The Essenes being pro-equality (of the sexes) and against racism is also a strong indication that they (or their teachings) were enlightened in some fashion. They were also vegetarian!
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2012
    @TheBeejAbides, Reading up other sources of the Essenes, I've come across this quote: "Only the souls considered as awakened could be initiated into the mysteries of the Brotherhood-Sisterhood. Then began for them a path of evolution that could not stop anymore through the cycle of their incarnations." Does this not seem like stream-entry, a process that would not cease, and this "cycle of their incarnations" sound like rebirth?

Actually a lot of the material on this site seems to be almost verbatim from the lecture... perhaps it's from the same source after all. ;)

http://www.essenespirit.com/who.html
  • A dinner party with Socrates, the Buddha and Jesus would be amazing .... I think the Buddha would be as alarmed as Jesus in what is done in his name at times.
    @Cloud... yes not every aspect of the Essenes is exactly Buddhist (whatever that means hahaha), but with a little creativity one could draw those conclusions without taking away from either philosophical viewpoint. They meditate, practice Metta, eat vegetarian, they effort towards equality and they understand that there is something to be revealed and it's not just from reading a book but via an understanding through their total practice. I thought they sounded pretty awesome. I especially like their "barefoot" way of living. I haven't watched that video since I posted it but I have watched three times (yeah. I'm a total History nerd) because I actually really liked the speaker. I liked his emphasis and rhythm. I think it's time to watch it again!

And thank you very much for watching it and commenting! :thumbsup:
  • @TheBeejAbides are you talking about this Doubt? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0918927/

Even if you weren't it's still a great movie lol
    edited August 2012
    @RebeccaS - No. Not the movie. I haven't seen it. The book is a super dense book on the history of doubt. It's full title is "Doubt- A history - The Great Doubters and Their Legacy of Innovation from Socrates and Jesus to Thomas Jefferson and Emily Dickinson" and everywhere in between! This book, of course, highlights the Buddha in one part (Zen in another), as he is possibly one of the most influential doubters of all time. I really liked what I read about Michele de Montaigne and, well, the whole freakin book is awesome! The author has a sense of humor, which helps becasue, as stated above, this book is dense. I highly suggest it to anyone who has ever questioned the foundations of societal/religous/personal thought, becasue you will see that you were never alone in doing so.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Cloud said:

...If people were able to drop the Old Testament, I think a Christianity based on the New Testament (or Jefferson Bible for that matter) alone would be much more compassionate and non-discriminatory where issues such as sexuality are concerned. However people can't drop the Old Testament, because that's where they get their assurance in Creation, with Genesis and such. As such they cling to the entire thing, which includes old-world views that are divisive rather than unifying.

Or not. I'm not saying Christian churches in general have dropped the Old Testament, but I go to a Methodist Church about once a month, and there appear to never be any Old Testament readings. When I was a child going to the Methodist Church, there was always one OT reading and one NT reading. It appears there is a de-emphasis on much of the OT, at least at some churches.

• Oh wow, that sounds awesome! Will definitely look it up, cheers :)
  • NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
    vlrox said:

Let's do this

1. Chaos is the thing that keeps us in motion. It keeps the whole universe in motion. Life is based on chaos.

2. Biological causes. Again...chaos. If some things can go bad, there's a slight chance that will go bad. And out of randomness defects manifest.

3. Simply by thinking about it. If we are talking about God here, my guess is that your one man was created by the universe. And we may be living inside his mental movie :))

4. If you take the answer 3. as serious, then he knows what his 'minions' are thinking all the time because ... by the power of his imagination he creates their thoughts ( or the basis of their thoughts). In my opinion , it's irrelevant if it ( god, or whatever) knows what I'm thinking.

5. Now we get down to business. Religion is a business. They ( the christians) are not tolerant with other people of other religions because they are being indoctri...educated to view other religions as competition ( over an unreal resource)

To answer your more personal questions :
    1. I used to believe in a God; I used to think that prayer helped me with tests at school and so on ( I 'was' an orthodox christian) ...but I found out that I just played some auto-suggestion tricks on my brain. After that...things were lost, I began to search into new age stuff ( even about god as being some thing that by simply existing maintains the balance of the universe), until one serious talk with an atheist that convinced me that there might be no god out there.

2. Many things led me to buddhism. The prime thing that did was sentimental suffering because of a friend-zone ( I choose to believe that meditation took me out of it)
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited August 2012
    I'm not against any religion, but find this quite funny and truthful, although very exaggerated (but of course that's what makes it funny)

- warning contains may harse words -
  • I am not against Christianty..in fact depending on our if we defining our terms carefully I am for it.
    There are various models of religion. Most religions, including Buddhism and Christianity, have a dimension that we could call Folk Religion.
    That should not be seen as pejorative. It meets a need, it fulfills a function. It oils the Rites Of Passage...And Buddhism has at least as much Folk Religion as Christianity does...it just seems more exotic. Merit making, temporary ordination of monks..spirit oracles etc are all imo Folk Buddhim.
    The Old Man In The Sky that is disbelieved by western Buddhists is far removed from the God of the Theologians and Christian mystics...That Old Man is part of Christianity's Folk Religion.
    Some of the deepest and penetrating interpretations of Buddhism in the west have come from Christians...Thomas Merton, Bede Griffiths, Aelred Graham to name but three..They were Christians who had gone deeply enough into their own religious path to hit the mother lode...
  • vlrox said:

... 3.) How does one man create a whole universe?

It's easy. This depiction is completely accurate. :)

• Here are some words from a Christian taken from a Franciscan Contemplative site..what do you think of them ?

Morning Blessing.

May you know yourself as a cross roads
    where breeze and leaves meet in rustling.

May you find yourself at the place of giving
    A sacrifice without loss
    Fuller than the night sky.

May you let it tremble
    let it pour
    let it breathe
    let it mingle
    and
    let it go.
    federica
  • I was a christian once.
    I am against christianity bcos it is too easy.
    just accept jesus n you will got to heaven.