Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Are the precepts just training rules?

DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
edited August 2012 in Philosophy
I thought it might be useful to have a separate discussion on this topic.
So, are the precepts just training rules, and if we think they are does that imply we don't have to take them so seriously, or does it mean we can intepret them more loosely? And are the precepts just about our own individual development, or do they have a wider meaning and application?
And underlying these questions, why is it that we try to behave ethically as Buddhists? What's the point?
BhanteLucky

Comments

• misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    edited August 2012
    as per my understanding, precepts are rules, to be followed, to refrain the mind from indulging in unskillful activities, thereby trying to reduce the defilements of the mind and parallely cultivating the path for the ending of ignorance.

i think every religion says to its followers to behave ethically - because all religions aim at human beings to be at peace, which without behaving ethically is not possible.

moreover as per Buddha's teachings, sila leads to samadhi and panna. samadhi leads to panna and sila. panna leads to sila and samadhi. all these 3 support eachother and collectively forms the 8-fold path. so without morality, the path cannot be developed. so behaving ethically by keeping the precepts, forms the basis on which the mind can be further trained to end its defilements and finally to remove ignorance.
    SabreTheswingisyellow
  • The term guidelines rather than rules seems more accurate ... Unfortunately, in most useful respects, there are no simple rules ( rules which can be followed in a way that can be absolute and dogmatic ) despite what some people seem to suggest, especially online.
  • Observing principles is more difficult yet that is what is required, rather than having rigid and clear rules to follow
    person
  • They can also be used as warning signs. The further we drift from these rules, the closer dukkha or mara is drawing itself closer to us.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    They are guidelines, but not just guidelines. Without adhering to them, a freedom from suffering is impossible.

This topic comes up more often. This is what I've said before:

It all depends on what you want to get out of it. If you use Buddhism as a way to make life a bit less hard, well, maybe you don't really care about the precepts. And if that's the way you want to go, that's the way you can go. But personally I would never in any way advice anyone to not practice the precepts, especially the first four, but the fifth comes close.

If you are sincere about Buddhism, you have to follow them. I don't know about those say you don't, or on what they support it, but it's evident from the word of the Buddha that right virtue is just nescessary. And it's also logical; have good virtue for a considerable amount of time, you have zero guilt. Imagine that. ZERO guilt, whatsoever. Just this brings a lot of joy alone. And you have the other practices on top of that to make you even more peaceful. If there is guilt (even subconscious), meditation will not take off.

So, if you really want to get somewhere, you will have to follow the precepts. I'm quite sure you can find some sort of way to incorporate them if you really, really want to. [...] Every effort needed is totally worth keeping the precepts.

Now I'm not saying the precepts are hard and set in stone rules, but that's just a disclaimer for some very extreme cases. The thing about sex being for procreation only is by the way plain wrong.
    http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/15981/the-five-precepts-my-sticking-points-on-them/p1
    MaryAnneOneLifeForm
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    They can also be used as warning signs. The further we drift from these rules, the closer dukkha or mara is drawing itself closer to us.
    I remember on another forum there was a discussion about whether the precepts were the foundation or result of practice, and I think the general view was that both are true. So ethical behaviour in line with the precepts is a natural consequence of developing wisdom and compassion.
    Observing principles is more difficult yet that is what is required, rather than having rigid and clear rules to follow
    Yes, I often think that the spirit of the precepts is more important than the letter. But it raises the question of what the spirit of the precepts really is - is it perhaps non-harm?
    Are the precepts viewed differently in different traditions?
  • I think part of the problem is the tone or semantics of the way any of us may pose the question:

Is it - Are the precepts the guidelines to mindfulness and eventually enlightenment?
    Or
    Is it - Are the precepts 'merely guidelines' to mindfulness and eventually enlightenment?

That's all I'm going to add to this conversation... for a number of reasons.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    We should all apply the Precepts as we see most fitting, after evaluation, using Right View and Right Intention.
    It's up to us - each and every one of us - to be diligent in our practice, and to examine our motives perception and perspectives.

And as ever, the consequences of our own decisions are for us to accept.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited August 2012
    I don't know about the mahayana-specific sutras, but at least the pali suttas say time and time again that virtue (referring to the 5 precepts for a lay follower) is essential. Only when having kept it for a long time, can one develop mindfulness. So if one wants to develop the path, the precepts really are not optional.

But if we talk about traditions, we tend to generalize. More importantly, I think they are viewed differently in different practitioners.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Thus far, this is the most thoughtful discussion of this question/topic I have seen on this forum. It has troubled me greatly over the past year-and-a-half to see the % Precepts (at least) portrayed in terms like mere or just guidelines. And, the idea of them being training rules I find very bothersome, as well. For most people, the concept of training implies a temporary (the duration of which may be short of long) phase where you are in preparation for a more solid practice of a profession. In general terms, one doesn't remain in training permanently. So if they are training rules only, once one has passed through that training phase, I suppose it then becomes anything goes -- murder, drunkenness, lying, etc. My view on training rules can certainly be picked apart, if you want to be pedantic.

It seems to me that the 5 Precepts are not merely or just anything, but that rather they have more than one function. Some may require training over a longer period of time; most of us have some difficulty with right speech...forever...and it's a perfection we must work on over time. But the vast majority of us do not murder people, so I would hope that it doesn't take us much training. But adhering to the 5 Precepts may be a process where we -- overtime -- perfect our practice.

But I believe that the 5 Precepts are also a social compact in Buddhist cultures...in fact, beyond just Buddhist cultures, but also all world cultures. If not, then the Buddhist religion would be one of the very rare religions that does not have some form of social compact that directs the morality of the society. As one of my favorite Buddhist websites (from which the following quotes come) says, "If life is a journey, then philosophy is like a compass. It helps us to find our way through the jungle of possibilities that life presents." And that's what I feel is one of the functions of the 5 Precepts. That website goes on to say that "The precepts are a condensed form of Buddhist ethical practice. They are often compared with the ten commandments of Christianity, however, the precepts are different in two respects: First, they are to be taken as recommendations, not commandments. This means the individual is encouraged to use his/her own intelligence to apply these rules in the best possible way. Second, it is the spirit of the precepts -not the text- that counts, hence, the guidelines for ethical conduct must be seen in the larger context of the Eightfold Path. The first five precepts are mandatory for every Buddhist..."

Now I know that I am quoting one source, and other sources may say things differently...or is it that we are interpreting those things differently. For example, to me there is a world of difference between saying The 5 Precepts are merely or just training rules, and saying The 5 Precepts are training rules. The former restricts their importance. The latter states one purpose, but does not preclude others.

Fair questions for my point of view are:
    1. Well, why just the 5 Precepts?
    2. Where does personal interpretation fit into all of this?

But those questions are another discussion (in my view).
    Jason
  • From the Udana (VI, viii):

What's been attained, what's to be attained,
    are both defiled by one who trains
    in line with the afflicted.
    Those for whom precepts & practices
    are the essence of the training,
    for whom celibacy is the essence of service:
    this is one extreme
    Those who say, "There's no harm in sensual desires":
    this is the second extreme.
    Both of these extremes cause the growth of cemeteries,
    and cemeteries cause views to grow.
    Not directly knowing these two extremes,
    some fall short,
    some run too far.
    But those who directly know them,
    don't exist there,
    don't conceive things
    through them.
    And for these people,
    there's no whirling through the cycle
    to be described. (Bold is mine.)

Source: http://vipassana.org/canon/khuddaka/udana/ud6-8.php

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited August 2012
    Personally, I wouldn't go so far as to say the precepts are just training rules, but in the context of the path I definitely think it makes sense to view them as such; and the reason I tend to talk about the precepts and practices of Buddhism in terms of training rules is because they're often referred to as such in the Suttas. In addition, the path is often described as a gradual path, which usually begins with teachings about generosity and morality (especially when concerning lay-followers), and then moves on to more and more refined aspects. In MN 107, for example, the Buddha explains how the path can be seen as a "gradual training, gradual doing, gradual practice in respect of this dhamma and discipline," and it begins with morality:
    "It is possible, brahman, to lay down a gradual training, a gradual doing, a gradual practice in respect of this dhamma and discipline, Brahman, even a skilled trainer of horses, having taken on a beautiful thoroughbred first of all gets it used to the training in respect of wearing the bit. Then he gets it used to further training — even so brahman, the Tathagata, having taken on a man to be tamed, first of all disciplines him thus:

"'Come you, monk, be of moral habit, live controlled by the control of the Obligations, endowed with [right] behavior and posture, seeing peril in the slightest fault and, undertaking them, train yourself in the rules of training.' As soon, brahman, as the monk is of moral habit, controlled by the control of the Obligations, endowed with [right] behavior and posture; seeing peril in the slightest fault and, undertaking them, trains himself in the rules of training, the Tathagata disciplines him further saying:

[Here the Buddha moves on to each subsequent aspect of this gradual training after the previous one has been reasonably perfected, illustrating how the Dhamma can be seen and taught as a "gradual training, gradual doing, gradual practice in respect of this dhamma and discipline."]
    (For other suttas similar to this, see AN 3.8, AN 3.85, AN 3.86, Snp 4.15, Ud 5.5 , etc. )

Beyond that, my own personal approach towards, and understanding of, the precepts is that they're things we voluntarily take on because we believe that there's something skillful about doing so, and which we're encouraged to observe to the best of their ability. They constitute the basic level of virtue the Buddha advises is necessary for the peace of mind conducive to a successful practice, especially in regard to meditation, and they're seen as gifts "that are not open to suspicion, will never be open to suspicion, and are unfaulted by knowledgeable contemplatives & priests" (AN 8.39). As such, I don't see them as being equivalent to commandments dictated by a higher power and/or authority, but more as ethical guidelines. In essence, these precepts are undertaken to protect oneself, as well as others, from the results of our unskillful actions.

Hence the underlying principles behind Buddhist ethics are kamma — the idea that certain actions produce pleasant, painful, or neutral feelings/results — and the principle of ahimsa or harmlessness. Essentially, Buddhist ethics revolve around seeing our desires for happiness and freedom from pain in all living creatures (SN 3.8). Nevertheless, Buddhism is ultimately a type of 'religious individualism' in that the teachings on kamma focus on individual actions and their consequences, so ethics are more or less a personal matter that each individual must explore and develop on their own; although guidance is certainly advised.

And all of this helps to inform my opinion that Buddhist ethics aren't entirely black or white, i.e., they aren't seen in terms of ethical and unethical as much as skillful and unskillful. In Buddhism, all intentional actions are understood to have potential consequences, and actions that cause harm to others and/or ourselves are considered to be unskillful and something to be avoided. But the Buddha never condemns people merely for making unskillful choices or breaking the precepts; he simply urges them (albeit with strong language sometimes) to learn from their mistakes and to make an effort to renounce their unskillful behaviour with the understanding that skillful behaviour leads to long-term welfare and happiness.

Certainly our adherence to the precepts will improve in the course of our practice, and skillful actions (done out of non-greed, non-hatred, and non-delusions) are morally superior (i.e., more beneficial, wholesome, and conducive to pleasure and happiness) than unskillful ones; but we're not expected to be perfect in our morality right away. As the Buddha explains in AN 9.7, only one "whose mental fermentations are ended, who has reached fulfillment, done the task, laid down the burden, attained the true goal, totally destroyed the fetter of becoming, and who is released through right gnosis [i.e., an arahant], cannot possibly transgress these five principles." At that point, they're no longer precepts, but a natural part of our being.

And I can't speak for anyone else, but I still have a long way to go before I'm completely incapable of transgressing any of the precepts, which is why I simply find it more useful to view the precepts as training rules, guidelines, etc. that I do my best to adhere to and follow while on the gradual path towards nibbana and moral perfection than commandments set in stone. If I happen to break one, instead of condemning myself and inflicting additional suffering on top of that already conditioned by my unskillful action, I simply have to acknowledge the breach and carry on with my practice, striving not to make the same mistakes in the future.
    MaryAnne
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    The precepts are like crutches for people who are unable to stand on their own two feet.

Morality is not an alien concept; we do not depend on divine or enlightened input for their revelation. Morality is human (just like cruelty and lust or whatever). It simply is one color on our palette.

The Buddha just gave a brief summary of the basics of moral behavior; he didn’t invent morality.

What this has to do with the topic? The precepts are - the way I see it - not training rules but signposts.
    They point at our own moral capacity; our own capability of being kind and compassionate. When we start following the precepts we discover how this makes our lives more gratifying. At some point we just want to live like that.

And we know for ourselves what to do, once we got to this point. We don’t need some Buddhist wiseacre to tell us what the precepts say we should or shouldn’t do.

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    My take on the precepts is that, when spoken or read, they are simply verbalizations of what works best. It's not a matter of 'should' or 'ought' so much as it is what is effective. And empirically -- i.e. through practice -- I think the precepts grow up all by themselves, without any praise or blame.

For the first nine years of my Zen practice, I almost never heard the precepts mentioned ... or 'enlightenment' either. Yes, there were encouragements to correct this or be on the lookout for that, but the precepts per se were rarely alluded to. But with actual-factual practice, what the precepts enjoined came to make the best sense empirically. This is not to suggest that a nice conversation about the precepts is useless. It is nice to be ethical (what we do in public) but it is probably more useful to be moral (what we do when no one is looking). It is to suggest that experience seems to grow its own good flowers.
  • I think of the precepts question as being about commitment. Are you going to commit to following them, or just use them as goals, and tweak some of them around the edges to suit your lifestyle (i.e. using mind-altering substances is ok as long as it doesn't lead to heedlessness vs. alcohol & drug use are to be avoided altogether)? Then there's the question of which ones, or how many to follow. Some teachers say it's better to choose one, and really stick to it, than to choose all the 5 basic ones, but not take them seriously. So this is how I conceptualize the precepts in my mind: as a commitment to a discipline.

Why behave ethically? Surely you jest. Remember the overall theme that underlies the precepts--do no harm? It's all about not harming self or others. Compassion, right? The precepts provide guidelines for how to avoid causing suffering. Buddhism is about the cessation of suffering for self and others. The precepts and the Eightfold Path show us how to achieve that.

• howhow Veteran Veteran

The precepts are just what you make of them.
    Their number, scope and diversity change within traditions, schools and linages. Each individual watches their relationship to them evolve as their practise progresses..

Zen puts a lot of emphasis on them. This is one of the checks and balances that a school filled with their fair share of spiritual cowboys, really needs. Other schools have their own emphasis's that serves there own checks & balances.

In Zen the precepts are examined and digested the same way one would do with the 8 fold path. The precepts are rules, intent, guidance and sometimes even justifiably breakable as wisdom & fluidity dictates. The karma of following or not following them remains inexorable of whatever name we attach to them.

Today I view them as the mimicry of enlightened action.
  • It makes for a smoother ride. Just practical restrictions.
  • According to Buddha in the Relays of Chairots Sutta (M. i. 149–50), like King Pasenadi of Kosala's seven relays of chariots, purity of moral habit is of purpose as far as purity of mind, purity of mind is of purpose as far as purity of view, etc., eventually reaching nirvana without attachment.

JasonOneLifeForm
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    Excellent summary, @Songhill.
  • how said:

The precepts are just what you make of them.
    Their number, scope and diversity change within traditions, schools and linages. Each individual watches their relationship to them evolve as their practise progresses..

Zen puts a lot of emphasis on them. This is one of the checks and balances that a school filled with their fair share of spiritual cowboys, really needs. Other schools have their own emphasis's that serves there own checks & balances.

In Zen the precepts are examined and digested the same way one would do with the 8 fold path. The precepts are rules, intent, guidance and sometimes even justifiably breakable as wisdom & fluidity dictates. The karma of following or not following them remains inexorable of whatever name we attach to them.

This is interesting, I didn't know this about Zen. S. Suzuki is said to have introduced a "Zen without morality" to the US. Of course that makes no sense, but this is what Stuart Lachs has said about Suzuki's brand of Zen. Maybe what he meant was that for Suzuki, the precepts are "flexible", and allow for things like supporting the Japanese war machine in Suzuki's time. (Which, you'd think, also doesn't make sense, but I think Zen went through a bit of a crisis during the war in Japan.) One wouldn't know there's such a strong emphasis on the precepts going by the behavior of some roshis. I think the precepts should apply to everyone, no exceptions for "enlightened masters".

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    I view them as training rules. Much like a musician or artist learns the rules of scales or shading and colors. They need to learn the basic rules to create something but at some point they must move beyond the rules, not abandon them but once they become ingrained the artist must use creativity and passion to create something of beauty. An artist or musician that merely sticks to the rules of the craft doesn't create particularly beautiful or inspiring work.

The precepts, as well as other Buddhist practices, are the basic rules. We need to internalize them and use them but in order to create a beautiful life we need to be able to move beyond them and not be so strict about them.
    MaryAnne
  • person said:

The precepts, as well as other Buddhist practices, are the basic rules. We need to internalize them and use them but in order to create a beautiful life we need to be able to move beyond them and not be so strict about them.

Well said. By "moving beyond them", you mean realizing, as in the Mahayana, that the whole point of practice is to gear us toward compassion, and acting compassionately, which may require on rare occasion, to get a little "creative" with the rules...? It's all about compassion, guided by wisdom.

MaryAnne
  • Dakini:
    Well said. By "moving beyond them", you mean realizing, as in the Mahayana, that the whole point of practice is to gear us toward compassion, and acting compassionately, which may require on rare occasion, to get a little "creative" with the rules...? It's all about compassion, guided by wisdom.
    You might consider this, also.

"Even if Bodhisattvas enjoy the five sensuous pleasures with unrestricted freedom for kalpas as numerous as the sands of the Ganges, as long as they do not give up their bodhicitta, they are said not to break the precepts" (Maharatnakuta Sutra).

Without going into a long-winded disquisition on bodhicittotpada and what it means, including its huge importance, suffice it to say that it is only by bodhicitta that one attains Buddhahood. Thus, to give it up is to break the precepts.

• Songhill said:

Dakini:

"Even if Bodhisattvas enjoy the five sensuous pleasures with unrestricted freedom for kalpas as numerous as the sands of the Ganges, as long as they do not give up their bodhicitta, they are said not to break the precepts" (Maharatnakuta Sutra).

This is interesting. This applies to Bodhisattvas, not us unrealized beings, but it's still interesting. Doesn't this contradict the Buddha's teachings about avoiding sensual pleasures? This kind of opens a can of worms. The Buddha didn't indulge in sensual pleasures after Enlightenment, so did he really teach this? That it's ok to indulge as long as you don't lose your Bodhicitta? A quick check on Wiki shows that this sutra is said to have been written by the Mahasamgika (sp?) school. (I'm not an expert. Can you shed light on this?)

• SileSile Veteran
    Dakini said:

Songhill said:

Dakini:

This is interesting. This applies to Bodhisattvas, not us unrealized beings, but it's still interesting. Doesn't this contradict the Buddha's teachings about avoiding sensual pleasures? This kind of opens a can of worms. The Buddha didn't indulge in sensual pleasures after Enlightenment, so did he really teach this? That it's ok to indulge as long as you don't lose your Bodhicitta? A quick check on Wiki shows that this sutra is said to have been written by the Mahasamgika (sp?) school. (I'm not an expert. Can you shed light on this?)

Just means that enjoying pleasures isn't a problem--indulging or becoming fixated/attached is. A bodhisattva might experience a pleasure in the same way he/she experiences a pain--fleeting, unheavy, something that one might lightly label "pain" or "pleasure," but not get attached to either way.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Dakini said:

person said:

Yeah, more or less. Another way to say it is that they are a tool to reach a destination, its the destination that is important not the tool, they aren't an end in themselves.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited August 2012
    I'd say the precepts aren't really tools. It's better to compare them with foundation poles.

Say you want to build a house on soft ground. In the end it's all about the house you want to build, but you can't build a house on soft ground, so you have to use foundation poles. You have to do effort to get these poles in the ground, but once they are there firmly, you don't have to worry about them anymore. And once you put the house on top, you can't take them out anymore.

Likewise, trying to develop meditation without virtue is bound to fail. But if you have a good practice of virtue, you can build the rest of the path upon it. Soon virtue becomes natural, no need to worry or keep the precepts in mind anymore specifically. Once the path becomes firm and establised, virtue can't be messed with anymore.
    Cloud
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    The precepts are descriptive of harmful actions that lead to harmful results. Whether we call them training rules or not, such actions will lead to such results. That is not to say they are moral absolutes, because nature has no moral absolutes (it is simply cause and effect), but the precepts generally follow the social conventions or social contract that humans follow so as to live together in relative harmony.

So in any case they're good to follow, bad to not follow, but no one can tell you what to do... it's a choice, it's voluntary to uptake these precepts for your own good and the good of others.
    Sileperson
  • Dakini
    This only applies to actual Bodhisattvas not your average run-of-the-mill Buddhist follower (prithagjana).

The first split after Gautama the Buddha died was between the Mahasanghika and the Sthavira (Skt. elder; Pali, thera). The Theravada claim descent from the Sthavira, but this is most likely not true since the Theravada arose two centuries after the so-called Great Schism.

I don't know about the Maharatnakutasutra being a Mahasamghika work. Do you have an url? I would be very interested.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited August 2012
    Wiki only mentioned it in passing on their Maharatnakuta Sutra page. No detail was given.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maharatnakuta_Sutra see: History
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Hard and fast rules never, ever to be broken, If you actually want to get enlightenment asap. IMO!
    Why behave ethically? Surely you jest. Remember the overall theme that underlies the precepts--do no harm? It's all about not harming self or others. Compassion, right? The precepts provide guidelines for how to avoid causing suffering. Buddhism is about the cessation of suffering for self and others. The precepts and the Eightfold Path show us how to achieve that.
    I agree with you. I wonder though if compassion and non-harm are emphasised enough when we talk about the precepts as being "training rules", which can give the impression that they're just about our personal progress towards enlightenment.

Yes, I think that's a useful way of looking at the precepts.
  • vinlyn said:

My view on training rules can certainly be picked apart, if you want to be pedantic.

Should we do that on Porpoise?

heheheheheheheeheheh

vinlyn said:

My view on training rules can certainly be picked apart, if you want to be pedantic.

Should we do that on Porpoise?

heheheheheheheeheheh

:p