Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

STRUGGLING

buddhakaibuddhakai Explorer
edited September 2012 in Buddhism Today
I have been basically a Buddhist for about 5 years now. I am just now trying to get involved in a Sangha, get some real teachings from a master etc. I have been married 6 years. I feel like my wife and I have been growing apart, as my negative mindset and attitude have gradually been being replaced with an attempt to be present, non-judgemental, and compassionate. I have watched my wife fall deeper and deeper into despair, she is always in poor spirits, she gets angry and tries to nit pick with me and my children about everything she can, and I mean really reaching sometimes. I have tried to remain calm and not take her attacks personally, but she is very good at pushing my buttons. I always try to point her toward the dharma, but she refuses, she says even the thought of trying to meditate actually makes her furious; even though she has had absolutely no training or advice on how to go about meditating. We've gotten into a couple of pretty bad arguments and I've lost my cool and said some mean things, and gotten really angry, and of course I've apologized, and feel absolutely awful, but I almost feel like my progress and spiritual growth has at least stopped, if not back pedaled a little bit, I am still practicing, and I love my wife and my family, but she's actually so bitter that she's making herself physically ill, she barely eats, and is always sick to her stomach. I feel like I'm watching someone drown while holding a life raft that I don't know how to throw to them. Anyone faced a similar situation?

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited September 2012
    You haven't really explained why your wife is angry, why she nitpicks and all that... what is the reason for her behavior? There is obviously a problem, but to fix it you'll have to understand what your wife's issue is to begin with. Is it an issue she has with your religious affiliation, or something else?

It certainly doesn't seem reasonable for her to be angry about you being more calm and compassionate. Most wives would love their husbands to be better men.
    poptart
  • Ask yourself if it would hurt if you found out that everything was your fault. If you think it would hurt, why would it hurt?

Of course I'm not saying everything IS your fault.
  • OK, so we know you're unhappy, and why.

Now tell us why your wife is unhappy. If you can't tell us exactly what's bothering her, then you haven't been listening when you two talk. Do you want her to be happy, or just want her to meet your expectations? Everything you describe is a symptom, not the underlying cause of her actions and emotions. So, why is she angry, and nitpicking, and bitter?

See, just because you've discovered Buddhism and the benefits of meditation, you can't expect other people to do the same. Not even the ones you love. When you try to point her to the dharma or suggest she start meditating, you're telling her there's something wrong with her. I've been married to a marvelous woman for over twenty years, and she's never meditated or read a sutra and that's all right. She did almost get in a fight with some Christian idiot who tried to tell her that she should divorce me and marry a good Christian man, though.

If you want anything to change, you'll need to stop trying to be the best Buddhist you can be, and try to be the best husband you can be. Then, you can look at your relationship with a clear mind and see if the two of you can be happy together.
    poptarttaiyaki
  • PrairieGhostPrairieGhost Veteran
    edited September 2012
    Me:
    Of course I'm not saying everything IS your fault.
    That would be too easy. Sigh...
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    buddhakai said:

I feel like I'm watching someone drown while holding a life raft that I don't know how to throw to them. Anyone faced a similar situation?

Yes! But I have no suggestions of how to help, sorry.
    One of my friends was getting more and more into drugs and darkness, and I couldn't see any way to help. He's still there in the dark, living in filth and poverty, soaked in anger and chemicals.
    It has been several years now.
  • I can only echo the excellent answers you have already had. Sit down with her and be present, which means giving her your full attention and listening to what her problem is. If you feel criticised and defensiveness rises notice the feeling but don't react to it. You may have established a pattern of conflict which needs to be broken before true communication can happen.

I hope this helps.
    MaryAnnetaiyaki
  • I think happiness does really come from within. If she's unhappy, she may look to the externals and think 'my family make me unhappy' when really it's her internal condition.

This maybe totally off the mark, but does your wife drink too much? I remember being pretty much the same as your wife, I thought my family were terrible (well my wife anyway) and I was a mean tempered gimp. I drank to much too. I just didn't realise what the real problem was; that it was me!

But as I say, I could be totally off the mark. Apologies if I am.
    MaryAnnetaiyaki
  • Aloha Buddhakai, your post does resinate with me, I have been a 'buddhist' for the same sort of time as you and the whole GF problems I can relate to.

There has been a lot of good advice and many a time I read posts and rarely say anything as I would either make a fool of myself or only repeat the words of somebody else. Why not go on a short vacation, take some time away from your everyday environment into a more relaxed location and get together spiritually, explore your relationship and connection.

The anger issue is something almost all of us can relate to. I am a passive agressive when it comes to my relationship, I get angry and just go totally silent, trying to let go of it, but if my partner keeps going about something related to the argument I cannot seem to let go there and then. It is all about letting go, seeing things from your partners point of view and listen as well as talk. Good luck :thumbsup:
  • Has she seen a doctor? Changes in behavior and mood, poor appetite, physical sickness... Could be that she needs a check up. Just thought it was worth mentioning.
    MaryAnne
  • compassion, loving kindness. equanimity. embrace reality without diminishing its natural perfection by labeling and judging.
  • Becky you mentioned it before lol, she has seen a doc twice and they have said if she has had a period once within the last 3 months there is no real issue. She also had a blood test...

@junbles yes the whole notion of judging, but I think it is something so primitive but sometimes essential. Not everything basic and simple is pointless.
  • Oh, no, I meant the op :)
  • I don't know the details, but I have seen many mothers with an "unnamed" anger and resentment about them, because they take on so much at home (kids, household, etc.) I have seen this both in working and "at-home" moms.

Without knowing anything more, I would guess (and this is really just an uninformed guess) that she feels she is carrying a lot. Do you think she feels she carries more of the load at home, with the children and household chores? Perhaps she feels unappreciated?

I am not saying that she *is* carrying more. I am just pointing out this is a very common experience. Sometimes even the worry we feel as mothers can seem like we are doing something- when it's not real, it's not productive... and yet, that mental energy can burn us up and make us feel like we are carrying... something I have been working on myself- to not worry, and not see that as one of my "jobs" as a Mom! I myself have resented (and envied, to some degree) my husband's ability to not stress out or over-think about the kids.

Many wives with children get very resentful of husbands who are able to enjoy spiritual/artistic/physical/intellectual pursuits that the wives feel that they don't have time to enjoy since they are immersed in the nitty-gritty household and family duties and details. Again, I am not saying she doesn't have time to pursue these things... having time is a sticky subject... I am just saying this *might* be her perception, her experience.

If this is the case, I suggest you start by taking on some of the household chores, such as unloading the dishwasher, folding laundry, etc. Do it without saying a word- just help out silently. This is also can be part of your practice. Chores like laundry, dishes and tidying up are great for "work practice", and you can be very present in them. Giving to her will make you feel good, and might start to heal your relationship. Offer to give her a night off while you stay with the kids. Take some of the load off her- and doing so without asking for "thanks", appreciation or anything more. She may be stressed out and just need a break. She may just need a night to herself, some space of her own, to be with her own "stuff". I don't know how old the children in your household are, but if they are small, it can be very draining- physically and emotionally exhausting. I'm sure you have compassion for her already, but watch her in her day. She may be giving a lot of herself, and possibly not enough *to* herself. It can be very challenging.

Once her anger is quelled, and things are more in balance between the two of you, she might open up more. She may start to see you as an ally. If you think she would benefit from meditation, it might be a good idea just to let her go hiking or do something out-doors first, or something quiet that she already enjoys, or does mindfully. This can be anything from painting, knitting while taking a ferry to yoga ... After she has spent time doing what stills her own soul, she might eventually open to the idea of meditation. But I would give her time. Even people that don't meditate per se, get in touch with a quieter, calming place when out in nature, in a library or museum... She can blossom into her own abiding activities. But if she has small kids, she needs your help to get the solitude and space to do that.

If you focus on quietly giving her room in her life to exhale, she might have time to breathe, and if she finds time to breathe, she may find time to be aware of that breath...

I hope I have not made any incorrect assumptions here. Good luck :-)
  • Hi There!

I can imagine it's hard 2 practice in your current situation!

All I can think of is a quote from one of my favourite books, The Lost Art of Compassion -

Often it is difficult people who are suffering the most intensely and who are therefore most in need of compassion.

Have you read any of Pema Chodron?

Here is a taste of her teaching -

http://admin.shambhala.com/html/learn/features/pema/books/excerpts/fallApart-excerpt.cfm

http://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/8052.Pema_Ch_dr_n

Best of luck 2 you & your family!
  • I have read some Pema Chodron, I have Start Where You Are. I have read lots of people, and it all helps me plenty (I'm not saying I'm perfect at all.), but her main reason for unhappiness as far as shes communicating to me is that, my parents don't really like her, they're very strict catholics, but they don't like me much either, and I can't say I've ever enjoyed family gatherings, and haven't spoken to them in probably, 18 months. She doesn't get along with her parents and hasn't spoken to them in years, and, more importantly, we're poor, which, is a very long story in itself. I've offered her time to take up a hobby, find her way etc. She always spins the next weeks worth of concerns into right nows conciousness & it drives her crazy, and she can't relax because there's too much to worry about. I tell her to just let it go and know that it will be okay, but I can't honestly say how. Anytime I take the kids somewhere or try to give her a moment to relax, she finds something that needs deep cleaned or re-organized, weeded out etc., it's like she won't allow her self to relax. We have made a dr. appt. and I'm hopeful that they will be able to help her. She doesn't drink, no drugs or anything like that. And apart from us winning the lottery (which we play when we can lol), I don't know what to do, not in a position for schooling or anything like that. Rock and a hard place I guess.
  • @buddhakai- I'm sorry, then because it sounds like I was a bit off on my thinking. It sounds like you have tried to give her a break. I went to that because I know of too many situations like the one I described and yours sounds different, and that you are exploring every option. I hope things work out for you and your family.