Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Karma and Rebirth in Theravada Buddhism by Brian Ruhe (Video)

DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
edited November 2012 in Buddhism Today
I am learning more about Karma/Kamma and I thought I would share:

Comments

• fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited November 2012
    Hard to take him seriously when he seems concerned with only the cosmological aspects of karma and rebirth. The real advantages of the concepts lie in karma and rebirth as they arise moment to moment in practice.

The cosmological viewpoint is useful for ethical training, but not essential to the practice. That Ruhe ignores the essential aspects of the concepts makes me wonder what kind of meditation he does.

(But I did only watch the first 10 minutes. It is possible he addresses the moment-to-moment perspective later in the talk, despite completely neglecting it in the introduction.)
  • fivebells said:

Hard to take him seriously when he seems concerned with only the cosmological aspects of karma and rebirth. The real advantages of the concepts lie in karma and rebirth as they arise moment to moment in practice.

The cosmological viewpoint is useful for ethical training, but not essential to the practice. That Ruhe ignores the essential aspects of the concepts makes me wonder what kind of meditation he does.

(But I did only watch the first 10 minutes. It is possible he addresses the moment-to-moment perspective later in the talk, despite completely neglecting it in the introduction.)

The moment to moment implications of rebirth, to me, are not in conflict with any cosmological aspects; the difference of opinion is really over whether the moments keep going, as opposed to ceasing without trace every 75 years or so and then spontaneously appearing again ;)
  • @Sile, drop me a line any time you want to read what I actually wrote and respond to that.
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    Thank you Leon ! This is very cool.
  • Sile said:

fivebells said:

The moment to moment implications of rebirth, to me, are not in conflict with any cosmological aspects; the difference of opinion is really over whether the moments keep going, as opposed to ceasing without trace every 75 years or so and then spontaneously appearing again ;)
    Although Sile's post has no direct relation to the preceeding one, the sentiment is one that I continue to find works well for me - it seems not many online Buddhists are able to reconcile differing views to this middle path difference of opinion which does not impact on an individual's practice.

In a later video he talks about Ian Stevenson and his studies and interviews of people with past-life remembrance. This is a very comprehensive video series, thank you again for posting this Leon :D

"Read not to contradict or confute ... but to weigh and consider" - Sir Francis Bacon
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    fivebells said:

But the suttas do describe kamma and rebirth in cosmological terms. Moment-to-moment rebirth is a later interpretation.
    RebeccaS
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    sova said:

Thank you Leon ! This is very cool.

Welcome!:)
    sova

But the suttas do describe kamma and rebirth in cosmological terms. Moment-to-moment rebirth is a later interpretation.

Truth.
  • The Pali canon has many references to karma and rebirth which are clearly about the moment-to-moment interpretation. Jason introduced this one in another thread recently. Thanissarro Bhikku has a long section in Wings to Awakening about the moment-to-moment interpretation of dependent origination, extensively supported by citations of the Pali suttas.

You can't do insight practice without the moment-to-moment interpretation, because accurate insight practice is almost entirely concerned with the causes and conditions of what is arising in experience at the present moment. If the moment-to-moment interpretations were a post-hoc embellishment, that would imply that the Buddha himself did not teach the key innovations and insights we attribute to him today.

As I said upthread, the post-mortem interpretation can be useful from an ethical perspective, so I'm not saying it has to be one or the other. But anyone who does not accept the moment-to-moment interpretation doesn't understand Buddhism, and for a professor to ignore it completely in a presentation on karma and rebirth (again, I'm assuming that's the case from his introduction) is a travesty, because it obscures the benefits from Buddhist practice which can be obtained in this very life.
    Jason
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited November 2012

fivebells said:

For what it's worth, I think both interpretations of rebirth are supported by the Suttas, and neither is necessarily mutually exclusive. At the very least, there are a number of passages that seem to suggest punabhava (literally 'again-becoming') takes place from one moment to another just as it does one life to another.

In SN 12.61, for example, the Buddha makes the point that "what's called 'mind,' 'intellect,' or 'consciousness' by day and by night arises as one thing and ceases as another," suggesting a type of rebirth or renewed becoming. And even though the more explicit descriptions of moment-to-moment rebirth are mainly found in the Abhidhamma Pitaka, as well as in post-canonical material like the Vimuttimagga and the Abhidhammattha Sangaha, being closely associated with the theory of momentariness (khanavada), the general principle is extrapolated from sources like AN 3.47:
    Monks, these three are fabricated characteristics of what is fabricated. Which three? Arising is discernible, passing away is discernible, alteration (literally, other-ness) while staying is discernible.
    Or, an alternate translation courtesy of Dhammanando Bhikkhu:
    There are, bhikkhus, these three conditioned characteristics of the conditioned. Which three? Arising is manifest. Disappearance is manifest. The changing of what persists is manifest. These, bhikkhus, are the three conditioned characteristics of the conditioned.
    Nm 2.4:
    Life, personhood, pleasure and pain
    - This is all that's bound together
    In a single mental event
    - A moment that quickly takes place.

Even for the devas who endure
    For 84,000 thousand kalpas
    - Even those do not live the same
    For any two moments of the mind.

What ceases for one who is dead,
    Or for one who's still standing here,
    Are all just the same heaps
    - Gone, never to connect again.

The states which are vanishing now,
    And those which will vanish some day,
    Have characteristics no different
    Than those which have vanished before.

With no production there's no birth;
    With "becoming" present, one exists.
    When grasped with the highest meaning,
    The world is dead when the mind stops.

There's no hoarding what has vanished,
    No piling up for the future;
    Those who have been born are standing
    Like a seed upon a needle.

The vanishing of all these states
    That have become is not welcome,
    Though dissolving phenomena stand
    Uncombined through primordial time.

From the unseen, things come and go.
    Glimpsed only as they're passing by;
    Like lightning flashing in the sky
    - They arise and then pass away.
    And the aforementioned SN 12.61:
    It would be better for the uninstructed run-of-the-mill person to hold to the body composed of the four great elements, rather than the mind, as the self. Why is that? Because this body composed of the four great elements is seen standing for a year, two years, three, four, five, ten, twenty, thirty, forty, fifty, a hundred years or more. But what's called 'mind,' 'intellect,' or 'consciousness' by day and by night arises as one thing and ceases as another. Just as a monkey, swinging through a forest wilderness, grabs a branch. Letting go of it, it grabs another branch. Letting go of that, it grabs another one.
    To put it simply, one moment of consciousness conditions the arising of next (rebirth), just as one action conditions the quality of feeling a moment of consciousness cognizes (kamma); and in this process, moment-to-moment rebirth refers to the arising and ceasing of our sense of self, the ephemeral 'I,' which is ultimately the product of what the Buddha called a process of 'I-making' and 'my-making' (MN 109) and something that's readily observable in the here and now.

According to the texts, a beginning point to samsara (literally 'wandering on') isn't evident (SN 15.3). The way I see it, this can be interpreted two ways — that a beginning point to the continual cycle of death and rebirth of beings isn't evident, or that a beginning point to the continual cycle of death and rebirth of the conceit 'I am,' the self-identification that designates a being (satta), isn't evident — and they're not mutually exclusive. In fact, they're entirely compatible, and I don't see how cosmological rebirth is possible without this underlying layer of moment-to-moment rebirth to facilitate it.
    fivebellssovaandyrobynSile
    thanks @Jason ! =) there is much insight in those words.
  • fivebells said:

@Sile, drop me a line any time you want to read what I actually wrote and respond to that.

I'm sorry if I offended - definitely did not mean to. I'm guessing I have a mistaken understanding of your use of "cosmological aspects of karma," or mistaken understanding of it in general - could you elaborate or give an example of what you mean by it?

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited November 2012
    @fivebells, there is no danger to his (Ruhe) meditation with his view of karma. Whoever meditates sees the same thing, the three marks, or as you say 'moment-to-moment'.
    fivebells said:

You can't do insight practice without the moment-to-moment interpretation, because accurate insight practice is almost entirely concerned with the causes and conditions of what is arising in experience at the present moment.

I agree that insight practice involves seeing how dependent arising works, particularly in terms of how craving and aversion arise in dependence on feeling. But I don't see why the moment-to-moment interpretation of rebirth is required, even if one agrees there is a valid basis for this interpretation.
    Some argue that dependent origination was intended in a psychological rather than cosmological way, but this view isn't supported by the way the nidanas are defined in the suttas ( see for example MN9 and SN12.2 ).
    edited November 2012

fivebells said:

You can't do insight practice without the moment-to-moment interpretation, because accurate insight practice is almost entirely concerned with the causes and conditions of what is arising in experience at the present moment.

I agree that insight practice involves seeing how dependent arising works, particularly in terms of how craving and aversion arise in dependence on feeling. But I don't see why the moment-to-moment interpretation of rebirth is required, even if one agrees there is a valid basis for this interpretation.
    Some argue that dependent origination was intended in a psychological rather than cosmological way, but this view isn't supported by the way the nidanas are defined in the suttas ( see for example MN9 and SN12.2 ).
    As with rebirth, I think it's easily both, with the psychological understanding being the more practically useful of the two perspectives. As I mentioned before, I suggest checking out Buddhasa Bhikkhu's Paticcasamuppada: Practical Dependent Origination and Linda Blancard's article in the May 2012 edition of the Journal for the Oxford Centre for Buddhist Studies, especially the former if you can find it.
  • Sile said:

I'm sorry if I offended - definitely did not mean to. I'm guessing I have a mistaken understanding of your use of "cosmological aspects of karma," or mistaken understanding of it in general - could you elaborate or give an example of what you mean by it?

I'm not offended, more nonplussed. You don't seem to be reading what I'm writing. (You still don't.) Ruhe is talking about the cosmological aspects of karma. I think we agree on what that means — post-mortem rebirth determined by the morality of past actions. I am saying that that is at best half of what the Buddha taught with respect to these concepts and that it is very unfortunate that Ruhe is apparently neglecting the other half. While explicitly replying to me you said that the two halves are not in conflict with each other, which is completely irrelevant to what I said.
    Jeffrey said:

@fivebells, there is no danger to his (Ruhe) meditation with his view of karma. Whoever meditates sees the same thing, the three marks, or as you say 'moment-to-moment'.

I don't see why the moment-to-moment interpretation of rebirth is required, even if one agrees there is a valid basis for this interpretation.

I think that's a very harmful perspective. If you don't know the psychological interpretation of the six realms, for instance, you're less likely to notice when you get caught up in them.
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited November 2012
    @fivebells, you had said "The cosmological viewpoint is useful for ethical training, but not essential to the practice."

To me, ethics are inseparable from the practice; maybe this is part of my misunderstanding. One can't separate the forces of ethical cause and effect from anything in particular one is doing in any particular life, can one? Don't past ethics/intentional action generate the causes and conditions for being able to practice insight meditation?

It just seems to me that if dependent arising is the salient point, then the principles of moment to moment dependent arising and moment to moment to moment to moment (all the way through one lifetime and in to the next) dependent arising are just more instances of that same principle. Though he didn't focus overly on any particular "now" moment to moment, I agree - it just doesn't strike me as a serious omission. But I think now I can understand some of why it strikes you as such. I guess I'd expect to hear him focus on moment to moment in a lecture on insight meditation, as much as in a lecture on rebirth, but maybe that's a mistake in my understanding of Theravada emphasis within this subject.

Jeffrey
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited November 2012
    Sile said:

...if dependent arising is the salient point, then the principles of moment to moment dependent arising and moment to moment to moment to moment (all the way through one lifetime and in to the next) dependent arising are just more instances of that same principle.

This is like saying that a medical class would get just as much out of a lesson on sociology as they would from a lesson on cellular anatomy, because the first arises out of the second. It wouldn't work that way because sociology is still much more mysterious and inaccessible to scientific inquiry than cellular anatomy.

You can stick a slide under a microscope to show a student the insides of a cell and how it responds to various stimuli. In the same way, you can trigger a student's here-and-now karma to show them how it works. Obversely, there are a million theories on why societies have inequity and cruelty but no objective way to assess their validity from empirical data. In the same way, there are a million views about post-mortem experience and no convincing way to assess them.

This accessibility has practical consequences. The germ theory of medicine has largely freed us from infection. In the same way, understanding of here-and-now karma can free us from the tyranny of here-and-now conditioning (and incidentally lay the foundation for the causes and conditions necessary to take insight practice all the way to the tathagatha ...theoretically... I am not speaking from experience, here...) Obversely, sociological theories can only give us crude and unreliable guidance on navigating the day to day complexities of the societies we live in. In the same way, theories about the post-mortem consequences of our actions don't give us much more than crude carrots and sticks to bribe us and frighten us into ethical behavior.
    Sile said:

...maybe that's a mistake in my understanding of Theravada emphasis within this subject.

Just to be clear, I am not a Theravadin. I am more like a Mahayanaist doing "hinayana" practice for foundational purposes. The guy I consider my teacher is Karma Kagyu (Tibetan.) It has become clear to me that the innovations of Mahayana primarily concern bringing the benefits of "hinayana" practice into daily life. There is not much point in doing that until I have mastered the "hinayana" practices, and the most complete contemporary perspective on those comes from Theravada. I respect both Mahayana and Theravada traditions, and I think the question we're discussing is the same from both perspectives.
    Jeffrey
    edited November 2012
    fivebells said:

I think that's a very harmful perspective. If you don't know the psychological interpretation of the six realms, for instance, you're less likely to notice when you get caught up in them.

I disagree. I think it gets confusing if we try to impose a psychological interpretation on the cosmological descriptions described in the suttas. And I don't see the need, because there is plenty of psychology in the suttas, eg the 5 aggregates, 6 sense bases, 4 frames of reference, etc etc.
  • why do we always have to complicate things?
    buddha talked about his previous lives, that is what the word boddhisatta means.
    if you dont accept that reincarnation is possible, so be it.
    Jason said:

As I mentioned before, I suggest checking out Buddhasa Bhikkhu's Paticcasamuppada: Practical Dependent Origination.

Yes, I have looked at this but I don't find it particularly convincing. One major flaw of his interpretation is that it contradicts the suttas in terms of the way the nidanas are actually described.
    For example he says: "The Birth here does not refer to birth of the physical body; likewise, the death does not refer to expiration of the physical body. They refer to Birth and Death in the mind: the Birth and Death of the ego." Well, no, if you look at MN9 and SN12.2 these nidanas are clearly described as the birth and death of the physical body. And similarly for the other nidanas.

Also I found his distinction between everyday language and dhamma language quite muddled, and somewhat patronising.
  • I think it gets confusing if we try to impose a psychological interpretation on the cosmological descriptions described in the suttas. And I don't see the need, because there is plenty of psychology in the suttas, eg the 5 aggregates, 6 sense bases, 4 frames of reference, etc etc.

Personally, I don't find it confusing. It seems to clarify scripture like the one below, it provides a guide for how to practice with what arises in present-moment experience, and as Jason notes above, it is perfectly compatible with the notion of post-mortem rebirth, if you're into that.
    "[The thought occurs to him,] 'Our teacher holds this doctrine, holds this view: 'All those who steal... All those who indulge in illicit sex... All those who tell lies are destined for a state of deprivation, are destined for hell.' There are lies that I have told. I, too, am destined for a state of deprivation, am destined for hell.' He fastens onto that view. If he doesn't abandon that doctrine, doesn't abandon that state of mind, doesn't relinquish that view, then as if he were to be carried off, he would thus be placed in hell.
  • Yes, I have looked at this but I don't find it particularly convincing.

If you aren't convinced by that, I suggest you have a look at Thanissaro Bhikku's presentation on dependent origination, which I linked upthread.

Thanissaro believes in rebirth, by the way. The two views on rebirth are compatible.
    edited November 2012

Yes, I have looked at this but I don't find it particularly convincing. One major flaw of his interpretation is that it contradicts the suttas in terms of the way the nidanas are actually described.
    For example he says: "The Birth here does not refer to birth of the physical body; likewise, the death does not refer to expiration of the physical body. They refer to Birth and Death in the mind: the Birth and Death of the ego." Well, no, if you look at MN9 and SN12.2 these nidanas are clearly described as the birth and death of the physical body. And similarly for the other nidanas.

Sure, some of the descriptions are more geared towards the life-to-life model. That said, they're not limited to just one perspective, and one can also find descriptions of birth and death that are inline with the moment-to-moment model dealing with the arising and ceasing of our sense of self, e.g.,:
    "'He has been stilled where the currents of construing do not flow. And when the currents of construing do not flow, he is said to be a sage at peace.' Thus was it said. With reference to what was it said? 'I am' is a construing. 'I am this' is a construing. 'I shall be' is a construing. 'I shall not be'... 'I shall be possessed of form'... 'I shall not be possessed of form'... 'I shall be percipient'... 'I shall not be percipient'... 'I shall be neither percipient nor non-percipient' is a construing. Construing is a disease, construing is a cancer, construing is an arrow. By going beyond all construing, he is said to be a sage at peace.

"Furthermore, a sage at peace is not born, does not age, does not die, is unagitated, and is free from longing. He has nothing whereby he would be born. Not being born, will he age? Not aging, will he die? Not dying, will he be agitated? Not being agitated, for what will he long? It was in reference to this that it was said, 'He has been stilled where the currents of construing do not flow. And when the currents of construing do not flow, he is said to be a sage at peace.' Now, monk, you should remember this, my brief analysis of the six properties." (MN 140)
    Or an alternate translation from the appendix to P. A. Payutto's Dependent Origination: The Buddhist Law of Conditionality (which I think is worth reading as well if you're not a fan of Buddhadasa):
    "The deep-grained attachment to the feeling of self does not arise for one who is endowed with these four conditions (pañña, wisdom; sacca, integrity; caga, generosity; and upasama, calm.). With no perception of self clouding one's consciousness one is said to be a muni, a peaceful one." On what account did I say this? Perceptions such as 'I am,' 'I am not,' 'I will be,' 'I will not be,' 'I will have form,' 'I will not have form,' 'I will have no form,' 'I will have perception,' 'I will not have perception,' 'I will neither have nor not have perception,' monks, are an affliction, an ulcer, a dart. By transcending these perceptions one is a muni, a peaceful one.

"Monks, the muni is not born, does not age, does not die; he is not confused, nor does he yearn. There are no longer any causes for birth in him. Not being born, how can he age? Not aging, how can he die? Not dying, how can he be confused? Not being confused, how can he be desirous? "The deep-grained attachment to the feeling of self does not arise for one who is endowed with these four conditions. With no perception of self clouding one's consciousness, one is a muni, a peaceful one" -- It was on this account that this statement was made.
    As I said before, I think both interpretations are supported by the Suttas, and neither is mutually exclusive. Most scholars and translators seem to agree, and I think you'd be hard pressed to find many that'd suggest otherwise. Even Buddhaghose, who's credited with popularizing the three-life model, acknowledged this in his commentary to the Vibhanga. Just something to consider.
    fivebells said:

I think it gets confusing if we try to impose a psychological interpretation on the cosmological descriptions described in the suttas. And I don't see the need, because there is plenty of psychology in the suttas, eg the 5 aggregates, 6 sense bases, 4 frames of reference, etc etc.

Personally, I don't find it confusing. It seems to clarify scripture like the one below...
    Sorry but I don't see the relevance of your sutta quote.
    The realms are invariably discussed in terms of beings re-appearing in various destinations according to their actions, ie kamma.
    If the realms had been intended pyschologically as states of mind, then the obvious place to find them would have been in the 3rd frame of reference in the Satipatthana Sutta, ie mind states - but they are clearly not mentioned there.
    Or to put it another way, the correct approach to developing awareness of mind states is described in detail in the Satipatthana Sutta, in the 3rd frame of reference. So reference to the realms as mind states is both incorrect and confusing, and seems to me like a fudge.
    Jason said:

"Furthermore, a sage at peace is not born, does not age, does not die, is unagitated, and is free from longing. He has nothing whereby he would be born. Not being born, will he age? Not aging, will he die? Not dying, will he be agitated? Not being agitated, for what will he long? It was in reference to this that it was said, 'He has been stilled where the currents of construing do not flow. And when the currents of construing do not flow, he is said to be a sage at peace.' Now, monk, you should remember this, my brief analysis of the six properties." (MN 140)

Interesting, but for the full picture one needs to read the whole sutta - it then becomes clear that this quote is pointing to pari-nibbana, ie the sage is literally not born again and is therefore free from ageing, death, agitation, longing etc. This is demonstrated by these earlier extracts from MN140:

"One neither fabricates nor mentally fashions for the sake of becoming or un-becoming. This being the case, one is not sustained by anything in the world (does not cling to anything in the world). Unsustained, one is not agitated. Unagitated, one is totally unbound right within. One discerns that 'Birth is ended, the holy life fulfilled, the task done. There is nothing further for this world.'

"When sensing a feeling limited to life, one discerns that 'I am sensing a feeling limited to life.' One discerns that 'With the break-up of the body, after the termination of life, all that is sensed, not being relished, will grow cold right here.'

And of course this is line with the traditional view of dependent origination, not a psychological intepretation.

To me, the sutta is clearly detailing both; but to each their own.
    Jason said:

Well, OK, we'll agree to disagree. What I don't really understand is the need that people have to look for these alternative meanings in the suttas.
  • To me (and to Thanissaro Bhikku, who accepts the post-mortem rebirth doctrine) the moment-to-moment meaning is essential to practice.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

Jason said:

Well, OK, we'll agree to disagree. What I don't really understand is the need that people have to look for these alternative meanings in the suttas.
    In other words, don't think?????

edited November 2012

Jason said:

For what it's worth, I'm not looking for alternative meanings; I'm simply elucidating what's already there in the texts themselves from my point of view. Not sure why that's so hard to understand. I image the same is probably also true of others who have a similar understanding, from ancients like Buddhaghosa to contemporaries like Buddhadasa, Payutto, Thanissaro, etc.

Whether or not you choose to accept the possibility that the Suttas support both levels of meaning is entirely up to you; I'm just trying to add to the discussion.

edited November 2012
    fivebells said:

To me (and to Thanissaro Bhikku, who accepts the post-mortem rebirth doctrine) the moment-to-moment meaning is essential to practice.

Could you say how? How does the idea of moment-to-moment rebirth add anything useful which is not already covered by the 3 marks, 6 sense bases, 5 aggregates, etc.? And what exactly in your view is being re-born moment to moment?

Jason said:

Whether or not you choose to accept the possibility that the Suttas support both levels of meaning is entirely up to you; I'm just trying to add to the discussion.

I accept the possibility, the difficulty I have is that when I read the suttas I don't see much support for these alternative views. What I see is cosmology, psychology and simile.
    vinlyn said:

Jason said:

Not atall. I'm questioning why people look for alternative meanings. Is it an objective appraisal of possibilites, or is it merely a dislike of what a text actually says?
    edited November 2012

Jason said:

I accept the possibility, the difficulty I have is that when I read the suttas I don't see much support for these alternative views. What I see is cosmology, psychology and simile.
    And the moment-to-moment aspect of dependent co-arising would fit into psychology since it's a mental/psychological process that includes things like the sense bases and aggregates.

As much as it's being framed as an 'alternative view' that has absolutely no scriptural support, it's not. In fact, it's the basis for much of the Abhidhamma Pitiaka (itself a part of the Pali Canon), which takes all of these aspects and attempts to illustrate how they take place moment-to-moment in order to explain the causal process by which cosmological rebirth functions, among other things. It's all intertwined.

Whether or not one subscribes to this view or takes the Abhidhamma literature as a reliable source, the basis of it is derived from the Suttas and has been a part of Theravada since at least the authorship of the Vibhanga of the Abhidhamma Pitaka, which is a very long time indeed.

All models seem to have their problems, but I think Thanissaro Bhikkhu highlights the importance of observing dependent co-arising at different scales in The Shape of Suffering:
    Dependent co-arising can be observed at many scales, which means that lessons drawn from observing the world can be applied to the mind, and lessons drawn from observing the mind can be applied to one’s interactions with the world. Lessons about the process of death and rebirth on the physical level, for example, can be gained from observing the present-moment death and rebirth of attachments in the mind.
    Sile
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

vinlyn said:

Jason said:

Not atall. I'm questioning why people look for alternative meanings. Is it an objective appraisal of possibilites, or is it merely a dislike of what a text actually says?
    I think it could be either, and I think either is valid.

I would change what you wrote to "or is it merely a dislike of what a text has often assumed to say".

• This is going around in circles a bit. We should probably tie it back to textual analysis, rather than just assert our views over and over.

@PedanticPorpoise didn't see the relevance of my quote. The point is, the Buddha is saying this person will end up in hell simply because they believe they will end up in hell. Now, the question is what would that look like on a cosmological level? Do you spend time in hell for every instance where you believe something like that? The moment-to-moment interpretation makes much more sense in this case: The hell is a world-view built out of self-hostility.

Porpoise asks how the moment-to-moment interpretation is useful in a way which is not covered by the "the 3 marks, 6 sense bases, 5 aggregates, etc." Well, if "etc." includes the 12 links of dependent origination, it's not, because that's what I'm talking about. :) I talked about how it's useful in this comment, which Porpoise may have missed.

I am interested to hear Porpoise's analysis of the Tip of the needle poem which Jason linked upthread. It is part of the Pali canon (though if you don't accept everything in the Pali canon, that is fine by me. I certainly don't.)

I am also interested to hear what he thinks of these eminent monks and scholars, many of whom vociferously defend the idea of post-mortem rebirth (Thanissaro was the author of the "War or Karma" talk which was making the rounds here recently) but also see the moment-to-moment interpretation as important to actual practice.
    Jason said:

And the moment-to-moment aspect of dependent co-arising would fit into psychology since it's a mental/psychological process that includes things like the sense bases and aggregates.

As much as it's being framed as an 'alternative view' that has absolutely no scriptural support, it's not. In fact, it's the basis for much of the Abhidhamma Pitiaka (itself a part of the Pali Canon), which takes all of these aspects and attempts to illustrate how they take place moment-to-moment in order to explain the causal process by which cosmological rebirth functions, among other things. It's all intertwined.
    But as I showed earlier in the thread, the way the nidanas are defined in the suttas simply doesn't support a psychological interpretation of dependent origination. This seems to me a classic case of trying to impose a psychological meaning on a cosmological teaching.

If you can point to a description of moment-to-moment rebirth in the Abhidhamma, I'd be interested in looking at it.
    fivebells said:

This is going around in circles a bit. We should probably tie it back to textual analysis, rather than just assert our views over and over.

@PedanticPorpoise didn't see the relevance of my quote. The point is, the Buddha is saying this person will end up in hell simply because they believe they will end up in hell.

I have tried to reference the suttas, eg by showing earlier that the way the nidanas are defined ( in MN9 and SN12.2 ) doesn't support a psychological interpretation of dependent origination, and with a detailed response to Jason's example from MN140.

As for your example above I'm still not seeing how you're getting a psychological meaning for hell. Did you see the Translator's note for this sutta?: "The Buddha shows that a simplistic, fatalistic view of the kammic process is logically inconsistent, and also leads to unfortunate results for any person who, with a background of bad kamma, believes in it. The actual complexity of kamma, however, allows for a way in which past evil deeds can be overcome: through refraining from evil now and into the future, and through developing expansive mind-states of good will, compassion, appreciation, & equanimity."
    edited November 2012
    fivebells said:

...these eminent monks and scholars, many of whom vociferously defend the idea of post-mortem rebirth but also see the moment-to-moment interpretation as important to actual practice.

Well I'll keep an open mind on these ideas and views, but currently I remain unconvinced.
    edited November 2012

If you can point to a description of moment-to-moment rebirth in the Abhidhamma, I'd be interested in looking at it.

There are various models and descriptions of arising mental states in the Abhidhamma literature, but in the framework of dependent co-arising, I recommend checking out the aforementioned Vibhanga (translated as The Book of Analysis). For example, from the introduction to U Thittila's translation (pp. xxxvii-xxxviii):
    Thus far in Suttanta analysis the causal process has referred to the broad issue of existence in terms of life spans; however, for such a process as this to be stated by the Buddha to be a universal causal law it must be capable of being applied in a much narrower and more specific manner to be able to support so significant a claim. At the time of the Buddha, interest in the analysis pf the process and meaning of mental states was of the greatest importance not only to those who had given up the householder's life to follow the Buddha but also to the members of the many important heretical sects current at the time. All were ready and eager to discuss with skill not only such general statements, but to pinpoint particular and minute aspects of mental states to determine if these could also be shown to be subject to any such control of law. It is to this aspect of investigation that the whole of the second section of the analysis of causal relations is devoted. Analysis According to Abhidhamma re-states Paticcasamupadda as it applies in detail to each of the bad (akusala) states, to each of the good states (kusala), and also to those states which being the resultants of other active states are in themselves neither good nor bad (abyakata). This means many re-statements of the casual law in which factorial variations of some of the individual nidanas are given. Basically, however, all the conscious states dealt with are treated on a system of sixteen fundamental statements of the causal law. To deal with these in any detail at this time would be quite out of the question, but the whole system of analysis with its very specific definitions is designed to show that in the same way as the general cyclic continuity of process, stated in the Suttanta analysis, applies to existence as a whole, so also the arising of one state of consciousness as being dependent for its coming to be on the resultant of a preceding state, and that the resultant of that present state is to be the root cause of a future conscious state, demonstrates the action of the same law.
    If you want to read the relevant passages themselves, however, you'll have to dig up your own copy as I don't have the time nor the motivation to type out the 66 pages in question (pp. 184-250 in the 1995 PTS edition).
    edited November 2012
    fivebells said:

@PedanticPorpoise didn't see the relevance of my quote. The point is, the Buddha is saying this person will end up in hell simply because they believe they will end up in hell. Now, the question is what would that look like on a cosmological level? Do you spend time in hell for every instance where you believe something like that? The moment-to-moment interpretation makes much more sense in this case: The hell is a world-view built out of self-hostility.

Personally, I agree that in certain contexts, a moment-to-moment interpretation makes more sense, or at the very least makes just as much sense, as a life-to-life interpretation. And that's mainly because, the way I've come to look at it, the teachings on rebirth aren't just limited to the cosmological level, although that's certainly an important aspect of them.

For example, on one level, rebirth and kamma deal with the framework of morality and ethical conduct in general. In this sense, I understand rebirth to signify the Buddha's observation that there's a type of continuity that underlies experience in the form of our actions and their results — one that doesn't necessarily end at death — and kamma to represent the intentional element of our psyche that goes into experience. This corresponds to what the Buddha called "right view with effluents, siding with merit, resulting in the acquisitions [of becoming]" (MN 117). Here, morality and ethical conduct are associated with intentional actions and their corresponding results — which aren't just limited to those within the present lifetime — and the continuous cycle of birth and death.

On another level, rebirth and kamma deal with the framework of what I'd call psychological processes, which corresponds to what the Buddha called "noble right view, without effluents, transcendent, a factor of the path" (MN 117). Here, rebirth still signifies the Buddha's observation that there's a type of continuity that underlies experience in the form of our actions and their results, and kamma still represents the intentional element of our psyche that goes into experience, but they're placed within the context of the four noble truths and the noble eightfold path.

In this context, the emphasis is on things such as recognizing and understanding the mental processes by which we construct our sense of self, in what the Buddha called the process of 'I-making' and 'my-making' (ahankara-mamankara), as well as how to utilize those processes in more skillful ways. And if we can learn to be more aware of these mental processes, we can learn to master them through a combination of mindfulness training and other contemplative techniques.

The point where I think the cosmological and psychological models or processes primarily converge is becoming (bhava). In SN 12.2, for example, becoming is defined as "sensual becoming, form becoming, & formless becoming." In AN 3.76, however, becoming is treated slightly differently, and Thanissaro Bhikkhu notes at the bottom of his translation that:
    Notice that the Buddha, instead of giving a definition of becoming (bhava) in response to this question, simply notes that becoming occurs on three levels. Nowhere in the suttas does he define the term becoming, but a survey of how he uses the term in different contexts suggests that it means a sense of identity in a particular world of experience: your sense of what you are, focused on a particular desire, in your personal sense of the world as related to that desire. In other words, it is both a psychological and a cosmological concept. For more on this topic, see The Paradox of Becoming, Introduction and Chapter One.
    Becoming, then, is a mental process that has the potential to lead to "renewed becoming in the future," which can be understood in both a psychological and cosmological sense, i.e., acting as a condition for the birth, ageing, and death (or arising, changing, and disappearance as per AN 3.47) of the conceit 'I am,' which occurs innumerable times throughout one's life (think of the imagery of SN 12.61), as well as a condition for birth, ageing, and death in the broader sense.

When it comes to dependent co-arising specifically, it's true that most of the descriptions are more geared towards the cosmological or life-to-life model; but there are place like MN 140 where I think both are illustrated in tandem, with the psychological aspects of becoming (the arising and ceasing of self-identity view) being placed within the broader, cosmological framework.

The reason I think the psychological aspects are so important is because that's where the work of the meditator is done, where we can observe these processes taking place in the present. As Thanissaro Bhikkhu puts it in "A Verb for Nirvana," "Samsara is a process of creating places, even whole worlds, (this is called becoming) and then wandering through them (this is called birth). Nirvana is the end of this process." And this process is primarily a mental one.

Hence, in my opinion, rearising in an 'injurious world' can easily refer to the experience of painful feelings (an aspect of mind) like beings in hell (AN 4.235), and hell itself can refer to a world-view built out of self-aversion, as much as it can a literal place one rearises, especially considering the term loka (world/realm) is often used as a metaphor for the five aggregates, the six sense spheres, and/or the internal world of fabricated experience (e.g., SN 35.23, SN 35.116, SN 12.44, AN 4.45, etc.).
    Sile
    Offtopic post moved here.
  • Well, no, if you look at MN9 and SN12.2 these nidanas are clearly described as the birth and death of the physical body. And similarly for the other nidanas.

I don't think that's actually clear from the Pali. Maybe someone who actually knows Pali can help us resolve this? I believe that the translation of
    "Whatever aging, decrepitude, brokenness, graying, wrinkling, decline of life-force, weakening of the faculties of the various beings in this or that group of beings, that is called aging. Whatever deceasing, passing away, breaking up, disappearance, dying, death, completion of time, break up of the aggregates, casting off of the body, interruption in the life faculty of the various beings in this or that group of beings, that is called death. This aging & this death are called aging & death.
    Is (for MN9. This is difficult for me, so I haven't been able to look at the other one, yet)
    Katamā panāvuso jāti? Katamo jātisamudayo? Katamo jātinirodho? Katamā jātinirodhagāminī paṭipadā?Ti. Yā tesaṃ tesaṃ sattānaṃ tamhi tamhi sattanikāye jāti, sañjāti, okkanti, abhinibbatti, khandhānaṃ, pātubhāvo, āyatanānaṃ paṭilābho - ayaṃ vuccatāvuso jāti. Bhavasamudayā jāti samudayo. Bhavanirodhā jātinirodho. Ayameva ariyo aṭṭhaṅgiko maggo jātinirodhagāminī paṭipadā seyyathīdaṃ: sammādiṭṭhi, sammāsaṅkappo, sammāvācā, sammākammanto, sammāājīvo sammā vāyāmo, sammāsati, sammāsamādhi.
    Note that I have bolded the words I believe correspond to "being." They seem to be a declension of some sort of "satta," as in the Satta Sutta:
    "Any desire, passion, delight, or craving for form, Radha: when one is caught up there, tied up there, one is said to be 'a being.'

"Any desire, passion, delight, or craving for feeling... perception... fabrications...

"Any desire, passion, delight, or craving for consciousness, Radha: when one is caught up there, tied up there, one is said to be 'a being.'"
    Note that as Jason and I have been claiming, the rest of the translated MN9 passage I quoted is consistent with both the moment-to-moment and the post-mortem interpretation of rebirth. As the Satta Sutta shows, "being" can clearly mean both. In the conventional Buddhist cosmology, you're reborn because of being caught up in craving. On the other hand, the Satta Sutta clearly allows for a "being" to arise as a psychological construct as well. And the rest of the MN9 passage allows for forms of "aging and death" which are clearly consistent with the psychological interpretation. ("passing away, breaking up, disappearance")

Please note that in this analysis, I am not trying to privilege one interpretation over another. I am saying they both make sense.

Also, this is all contingent on the correct translation of "sattānaṃ" and "sattanikāye", which I could easily be wrong about.
    edited November 2012
    fivebells said:

Well, no, if you look at MN9 and SN12.2 these nidanas are clearly described as the birth and death of the physical body. And similarly for the other nidanas.

I don't think that's actually clear from the Pali. Maybe someone who actually knows Pali can help us resolve this? I believe that the translation of
    "Whatever aging, decrepitude, brokenness, graying, wrinkling, decline of life-force, weakening of the faculties of the various beings in this or that group of beings, that is called aging. Whatever deceasing, passing away, breaking up, disappearance, dying, death, completion of time, break up of the aggregates, casting off of the body, interruption in the life faculty of the various beings in this or that group of beings, that is called death. This aging & this death are called aging & death.
    Is (for MN9. This is difficult for me, so I haven't been able to look at the other one, yet)
    Katamā panāvuso jāti? Katamo jātisamudayo? Katamo jātinirodho? Katamā jātinirodhagāminī paṭipadā?Ti. Yā tesaṃ tesaṃ sattānaṃ tamhi tamhi sattanikāye jāti, sañjāti, okkanti, abhinibbatti, khandhānaṃ, pātubhāvo, āyatanānaṃ paṭilābho - ayaṃ vuccatāvuso jāti. Bhavasamudayā jāti samudayo. Bhavanirodhā jātinirodho. Ayameva ariyo aṭṭhaṅgiko maggo jātinirodhagāminī paṭipadā seyyathīdaṃ: sammādiṭṭhi, sammāsaṅkappo, sammāvācā, sammākammanto, sammāājīvo sammā vāyāmo, sammāsati, sammāsamādhi.
    Note that I have bolded the words I believe correspond to "being." They seem to be a declension of some sort of "satta," as in the Satta Sutta:
    "Any desire, passion, delight, or craving for form, Radha: when one is caught up there, tied up there, one is said to be 'a being.'

"Any desire, passion, delight, or craving for feeling... perception... fabrications...

"Any desire, passion, delight, or craving for consciousness, Radha: when one is caught up there, tied up there, one is said to be 'a being.'"
    Note that as Jason and I have been claiming, the rest of the translated MN9 passage I quoted is consistent with both the moment-to-moment and the post-mortem interpretation of rebirth. As the Satta Sutta shows, "being" can clearly mean both. In the conventional Buddhist cosmology, you're reborn because of being caught up in craving. On the other hand, the Satta Sutta clearly allows for a "being" to arise as a psychological construct as well. And the rest of the MN9 passage allows for forms of "aging and death" which are clearly consistent with the psychological interpretation. ("passing away, breaking up, disappearance")

For what it's worth, that's my understanding, as well, and what I was referring to above when I said:
    Jason said:

According to the texts, a beginning point to samsara (literally 'wandering on') isn't evident (SN 15.3). The way I see it, this can be interpreted two ways — that a beginning point to the continual cycle of death and rebirth of beings isn't evident, or that a beginning point to the continual cycle of death and rebirth of the conceit 'I am,' the self-identification that designates a being (satta), isn't evident — and they're not mutually exclusive. In fact, they're entirely compatible, and I don't see how cosmological rebirth is possible without this underlying layer of moment-to-moment rebirth to facilitate it.

• I know, @Jason, and the way you expressed it is much more useful. I'm just trying to ground our position philologically, to stop the conversation from going in circles.
    fivebells said:

I still don't see how this passage can be intepreted in a psychological way, and I certainly don't think it was ever intended in this way. Similarly for the description for birth ( jati ), which also clearly describes a physical rather than a psychological process. And I still haven't heard a coherent answer to the question I posed earlier, ie what exactly is supposed to be re-born in a psychological sense?

Furthermore "bhava", as a nidana, is clearly defined as the process of being in the 3 realms, not psychological becoming. And so on. The more one looks at the way the nidanas are actually defined in MN9 and SN12.2, the less convincing is the case for a psychological interpretation of dependent origination. It just looks like wishful thinking to me.
    edited November 2012

I still don't see how this passage can be intepreted in a psychological way, and I certainly don't think it was ever intended in this way. Similarly for the description for birth ( jati ), which also clearly describes a physical rather than a psychological process. And I still haven't heard a coherent answer to the question I posed earlier, ie what exactly is supposed to be re-born in a psychological sense?

Self-identity view (sakkaya-ditthi), the conceit 'I am' (asmi-mana), mind-moments (cittakkhana), etc.

Furthermore "bhava", as a nidana, is clearly defined as the process of being in the 3 realms, not psychological becoming. And so on. The more one looks at the way the nidanas are actually defined in MN9 and SN12.2, the less convincing is the case for a psychological interpretation of dependent origination. It just looks like wishful thinking to me.

Only if one ignores the rest of the Canon, including the many references we've given above plus the Abhidhamma Pitaka.
  • I still don't see how this passage can be intepreted in a psychological way, and I certainly don't think it was ever intended in this way.

It would be nice if you made, like, an argument or a rebuttal or something. Or we could just go back to "It is not!" "It is so!" :)