Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Buddha was not even a human being

seeker242seeker242 ZenFlorida, USA Veteran
Found this interesting! :)
"Any form...feeling...perception...impulses...consciousness... by which one describing the Tathagata would describe him: That the Tathagata has abandoned, its root destroyed, made like a palmyra stump, deprived of the conditions of development, not destined for future arising. Freed from the classification of... form...feeling...perception...impulses...consciousness... , great king, the Tathagata is deep, boundless, hard to fathom, like the ocean."

'The Tathagata exists after death' doesn't apply. 'The Tathagata doesn't exist after death doesn't apply. 'The Tathagata both exists and doesn't exist after death' doesn't apply. 'The Tathagata neither exists nor doesn't exist after death' doesn't apply."
And the commentary.
The Commentary and Sub-commentary are not satisfied to let this passage stand, and try to describe the Tathagata's indescribability. To paraphrase: He is freed from the classification of form, etc., because for him there will be no arising of form, etc., in the future (i.e., after death). He is deep in the depth of his character and the depth of his qualities. As for any description in terms of 'a being' that might be used in relation to the Tathagata with such deep qualities, when one sees the non-existence of the description 'being,' owing to the (future) non-existence of the aggregates, one sees that the four statements with regard to the Tathagata after death are invalid.

This explanation, which borrows from Sister Vajira's verse in SN 5.10, misses an important point raised in SN 22.36 and SN 23.2. In SN 22.36 the Buddha states that one is measured and classified by what one is obsessed with. If one is not obsessed with anything, then one is not measured or classified by it in the here and now. In SN 23.2 the Buddha points out that the term "being" applies only where there is craving and passion. The Tathagata, freed from craving and passion, is thus indescribable in the present, even though he obviously still functions in the present. SN 22.86 elaborates on this point in great detail.

Given that, one can conclude that Siddhartha Gautama was a human being, but Shakyamuni Buddha was not. Yes?
JeffreyTalismanpegembaraStraight_ManInvincible_summer

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited November 2012
    I think you could say 'a being' was not the extent of 'him'. But I am not sure you could say 'he' was not a being.
  • so it is a negation rather than a limitation.
    sova
  • A monk asked, "Does a Buddha have dog nature or not?"
    The master said, "Not [Mu]!"
  • I would never have considered the Buddha to be a human being, though Siddhartha was human. I like these excerpts, very good.
    sova
  • The Buddha awoke to the fact that he was not Siddhartha Gautama. In fact by abandoning any form...feeling...perception...impulses...consciousness.., he stopped being a human although he still talked and looked like one.
  • He had turned into . . . tinkerbell?
    Oh Buddha! Give us a sign. Is there any bodhi there . . .

:rolleyes:
    swanny84Bunks
  • “The Commentary and Sub-commentary are not satisfied to let this passage stand, and try to describe the Tathagata's indescribability.”
    That's a problem.
    It is seven in the morning here and I’m having coffee.
    I cannot describe the indescribability of that either.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    My understanding could be flawed but I'd say yes, and no... Sidhartha thought he was a human being but Shakyamuni Buddha was simply being.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited November 2012
    He wasn't actually a human being or it would be transformation instead of awakening... Right?
  • The Buddha was awake.
    He came, woke up. Went.
    All without coffee ;)
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    lobster said:

A monk asked, "Does a Buddha have dog nature or not?"
    The master said, "Not [Mu]!"

And another time, the master was asked the same question, and he specifically said "yes". What's up with that???? ;)
  • In order to speak of something we must make is a subject with a predicate. This means we cannot speak of the final truth without distorting it. The Tao that is eternal cannot be spoken etc.

'The Tathagata exists after death' doesn't apply. 'The Tathagata doesn't exist after death doesn't apply. 'The Tathagata both exists and doesn't exist after death' doesn't apply. 'The Tathagata neither exists nor doesn't exist after death' doesn't apply."

This is a classic fourfold refutation of wrong views. Our intellects cannot think of a fifth alternative but the refutation points to where it lies, beyond the reach of the intellect and language.

I'm reminded of that old Buddhist joke about how many Buddhists it would take to change a lightbulb. One to change it, one to not change it, one to both change it and not change it, one to neither change it or not change it, and one more.

• . . . How many light bulbs does it take to change a Buddha
    into ourselves?
    Answer to the usual fantasists :)
    SattvaPaul
  • i have always wondered about this. It seems like Shakyamuni Buddha was already enlightened when he was born - he walked the 7 steps and lotuses sprung up... he came out of his mother's side etc... he had the signs of the buddha on his body etc...

same like Lama Tsongkhapa - apparently he was already enlightened but he manifested as a human being..

so are there any beings who DID become enlightened??
    Bunks
  • i have always wondered about this. It seems like Shakyamuni Buddha was already enlightened when he was born - he walked the 7 steps and lotuses sprung up... he came out of his mother's side etc... he had the signs of the buddha on his body etc...

same like Lama Tsongkhapa - apparently he was already enlightened but he manifested as a human being..

This is one end of the scale..the other end is the view that the Buddha was just an ordinary guy...blah blah.
    Then there is every shade in between.
    What we know for sure is that someone formulated the teachings known as Buddhism.
    And that many people find that putting them into practice has clear and positive results.

• NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    What's wrong with being human? :-/
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

i have always wondered about this. It seems like Shakyamuni Buddha was already enlightened when he was born - he walked the 7 steps and lotuses sprung up... he came out of his mother's side etc... he had the signs of the buddha on his body etc...

Other than in the third world (I assume you are Western), you're the first person I've "met" who believe all that.

• vinlyn said:

i have always wondered about this. It seems like Shakyamuni Buddha was already enlightened when he was born - he walked the 7 steps and lotuses sprung up... he came out of his mother's side etc... he had the signs of the buddha on his body etc...

Other than in the third world (I assume you are Western), you're the first person I've "met" who believe all that.

I take it you do not visit Dhamma Wheel..
    :)
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    You failed to post the full sutta which makes more sense of the topic . I'm on mobile so I can't post but the Buddha is stopped on the road and the person asks if he is a yakkha or a deva or a god or a human.. And he says any fetters that would determine that I am any of these things cannot be found in me.

The Buddha said " know me as one who is awake"

The point is that any concepts, attachments of " I am this" or " I am that" do not exist.... Of course his form remains human, that doesn't change, but he has gone beyond that and into wisdom
    mettanandoJeffrey
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran

Yes! by Practice!

I remember reading something where people who meet great masters assume it's just an incarnation of a great being, but the Buddha admonished this sort of thinking, all beings have Buddha Nature, and as humans we all have the potential to become enlightened, in this very life.

Proper causes and conditions lead to proper results. The potential is there! =)
    David
    edited January 2013
    Nevermind said:

What's wrong with being human? :-/

I don't think there is anything wrong with being human. It's the taking on of labels in my view. Right now I am typing but I am not a typist... Earlier I was running but I am not a runner.

Right now I am being human but I won't always be.

So I am not a human being, I am simply being human at the moment.

Nouns are some of the most misleading of labels.
  • Prince siddhartha was human...

Buddha the awakened one was human

(Unless of course he was made up for our inspiration, therefore he is just an inspirational mystic figure)

However, we will never ever know either way!

Interesting tho x
    vinlyn
    ourself said:

What else will you be?
    Nevermind said:

ourself said:

What else will you be?
    I prefer to keep a sense of wonder about these things.

seeker242
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    now that I'm back.. here is the Sutta reference :P - Dona Sutta baby!

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an04/an04.036.than.html

Then the Blessed One, leaving the road, went to sit at the root of a certain tree — his legs crossed, his body erect, with mindfulness established to the fore. Then Dona, following the Blessed One's footprints, saw him sitting at the root of the tree: confident, inspiring confidence, his senses calmed, his mind calmed, having attained the utmost control & tranquility, tamed, guarded, his senses restrained, a naga.[1] On seeing him, he went to him and said, "Master, are you a deva?"[2]

"No, brahman, I am not a deva."

"Are you a gandhabba?"

"No..."

"... a yakkha?"

"No..."

"... a human being?"

"No, brahman, I am not a human being."

"When asked, 'Are you a deva?' you answer, 'No, brahman, I am not a deva.' When asked, 'Are you a gandhabba?' you answer, 'No, brahman, I am not a gandhabba.' When asked, 'Are you a yakkha?' you answer, 'No, brahman, I am not a yakkha.' When asked, 'Are you a human being?' you answer, 'No, brahman, I am not a human being.' Then what sort of being are you?"

"Brahman, the fermentations by which — if they were not abandoned — I would be a deva: Those are abandoned by me, their root destroyed, made like a palmyra stump, deprived of the conditions of development, not destined for future arising. The fermentations by which — if they were not abandoned — I would be a gandhabba... a yakkha... a human being: Those are abandoned by me, their root destroyed, made like a palmyra stump, deprived of the conditions of development, not destined for future arising.

"Just like a red, blue, or white lotus — born in the water, grown in the water, rising up above the water — stands unsmeared by the water, in the same way I — born in the world, grown in the world, having overcome the world — live unsmeared by the world. Remember me, brahman, as 'awakened.'

"The fermentations by which I would go
    to a deva-state,
    or become a gandhabba in the sky,
    or go to a yakkha-state & human-state:
    Those have been destroyed by me,
    ruined, their stems removed.
    Like a blue lotus, rising up,
    unsmeared by water,
    unsmeared am I by the world,
    and so, brahman,
    I'm awake."

and here is a part of the notes on the bottom -

The Buddha's refusal to identify himself as a human being relates to a point made throughout the Canon, that an awakened person cannot be defined in any way at all. On this point, see MN 72, SN 22.85, SN 22.86, and the article, "A Verb for Nirvana." Because a mind with clinging is "located" by its clinging, an awakened person takes no place in any world: this is why he/she is unsmeared by the world (loka), like the lotus unsmeared by water.
    Jeffreywisdombeing
    ourself said:

Nevermind said:

ourself said:

What else will you be?

Well, what are you wondering?
  • "Just like a red, blue, or white lotus — born in the water, grown in the water, rising up above the water — stands unsmeared by the water, in the same way I — born in the world, grown in the world, having overcome the world — live unsmeared by the world. Remember me, brahman, as 'awakened.'
    You know in Islamic hagiography, Mohammad went to heaven on a magic horse. In Christianity Jesus 'overcame the world' but physically seems overcome. Such stories are wonderful for our child like incredulity.

The awake Buddha died. What was awake, in a sense, is neither born nor dies. Maybe more of us born and grown in the world need to overcome worldly and unworldly snoozing . . . Just a possibility . . .
    Nevermind said:

ourself said:

Nevermind said:

ourself said:

What else will you be?

I'm not really wondering anything. Just open.

I would urge anyone curious about this to read the post @Jayantha offered, especially the bolded part at the bottom. "A verb for nirvana".

We are action and so to label an individual as a noun is quite misleading.

We are not "set" things, we are a process of change and interaction.
    Nevermind said:

ourself said:

Nevermind said:

ourself said:

What else will you be?

To tell you the truth I do find it rather curious why you keep asking these questions before considering the prior answer given and replying in kind.

• We cannot see samboghakaya or dharmakaya so we only see human nirmanakaya.
  • If you read the Jataka tales,he probably is some animals.
  • Glad someone mentioned the fact that the Historical Buddha died.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2013
    COMPLETELY OFF TOPIC -

@Simonthepilgrim...

HELLO SIMON!!! :wave: :clap: :rockon:
    Jeffrey
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator

Glad someone mentioned the fact that the Historical Buddha died.

Hello, sir! :D

• Glad someone mentioned the fact that the Historical Buddha died.

But didn't he enter clear light rather than 'died'?

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    seeker242 said:

This seems to be saying that what happens to a Tathagata after death ( ie at pari-Nibbana ) is inexpressible.
  • Hi Fede & Brian.

I find it interesting (and somewhat depressing) that wonderful human beings like Gotama the Awakened One and Jesus the Anointed, very shortly after their deaths, are 'divinised' by their followers as if the example of their lives and wisdom of their words are not enough. Reminds me of the way the Romans treated their emperors or how the Greeks finished off their myths.

Why, I wonder, do we need to do this? Perhaps it is because, despite all the pious words about human life being 'precious', people do not really like themselves so the idea that Gotama could die of food poisoning or Jesus tortured to death on a cross somehow reduces their message. For me, the opposite obtains: the fact they were human, just like you and me, is a real statement of hope and optimism. The liberation that they proclaimed is there for each one of us, the hidden 'Easter egg' that comes with our birth.
    lobstervinlyn
  • For me, the opposite obtains: the fact they were human, just like you and me, is a real statement of hope and optimism.
    You mean they were not related to Tinkerbell and never went to Never-never land? Tsk tsk, who has been reading fairy stories to adults?

Yes . . . I think you are right, time to grow up . . . :bawl: