Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The idea of dying well; any relevance to us at this level?

I read many newspapers on line, from all over the world; but, found this one article interesting, and hopefully a good debate? :om:

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/culture/2012/12/399_126670.html

Comments

• I suspect that when death comes knocking it wont be interested in our level.
    Live everyday as though it were your last...one day it will be.
    Jeffrey
  • I don't know how I feel about the "live each day as if it were your last" thing.

I mean, if I knew today would be my last day do you think I'd waste it scooping kitty poop and ironing? :lol:

I'd go buy a $300 bottle of scotch and hang out with my husband and cats. I'd probably also drop a watermelon from the balcony to watch it smash. And drive a car really fast (before the scotch, obviously).

But doing those things every day? My wallet and my liver and whoever lives on the ground floor would all be very angry at me. I'd probably only get to do the driving thing one time...

It's something to think about... I don't intend to die any time soon, but I would like to make it as easy as possible on my loved ones, taking care of whatever so they don't have to stress. I'd leave funeral arrangements to them because I read a blog of a young widow once and she said that having so much to do stopped her from losing her shit. Maybe I'll leave like, a treasure map or something :lol:

Thinking about death can help put things into perspective though. It's like, life is too short. We'll all be dead one day, but we're alive now. Why waste it on all the crap we usually waste it on? Things like being scared and angry, when we could just be enjoying the ride. To me, that's what living life to the full means - enjoying the ride. Even the most tedious, stressful things become interesting, and even enjoyable from that perspective. It all just seems kinda funny. Even dumb things like losing your keys... That's hilarious! What other creature on earth a) loses keys and b) gets all stressed out about it? It's just so uniquely human.

The human experience is a wonderful one and I think that's worth being reminded of, even if it's considering death that reminds us.
    JohnG
  • When I said live each day as though it were your last..I meant with as much mindfulness as possible, and with as much gratitude. Whether its mindful and grateful hedonism or mindful and grateful sobriety.
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    Death is the ultimate test...

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    Within some meditative experiences, each moment is another birth & death.
    The snooze that denies this truth is called ego.
    Although the idea of dying well in the future sounds like a good retirement plan,
    there is no time but this very moment to practise it.
    Cole_JohnGRodrigolobster
  • GuiGui Veteran
    Life And Death

Life, death, - death, life; the words have led for ages
    Our thought and consciousness and firmly seemed
    Two opposites; but now long-hidden pages
    Are opened, liberating truths undreamed.
    Life only is, or death is life disguised, -
    Life a short death until by Life we are surprised.

-Sri Aurobindo
    JohnG
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    It's more living as if you have a terminal disease than live as if it was your last day. Really, life is pretty terminal, as the saying goes. Those who go through that have a better appreciation for the mundane than the rest of us do. Getting to the point you can appreciate having the ability to iron, or have cats you love to be able to scoop their poop. I work on it, but it's definitely a work in progress, lol. I did find that as much as I hated ironing, I now use a hand steamer on my clothes, which makes it far more fun!

I do waver on what I'd want done if I died right now. I don't really want to be buried. My thoughts are more so what would be best for those left behind rather than what I want. What do I care happens with my rotting carcass? But it would matter to my husband and my kids and my parents. I waver between cremation where ashes can be split up and put into pendants and such. A friend of mine recently lost both her parents within a year, and this is what they did. She has one small star for each parent that contains their ashes and it does her good to be able to "take them with" on important things in her life. Yes I realize this is attachment but I also do not expect my kids or my husband to share my view on that. Or, to be sent to the company where they put your ashes in with a tree sprout and "you" grow into a tree one day, lol. Though it would be kind of sad for those left behind if the tree died or something, heh. I know much more of what I don't want, than what I do.
  • Until we face death, we cannot begin to truly live. Imagine we are all dying, some slowly, some quickly, that you are a walking corpse. Think about being in the place of someone who is about to die, the uncertainty of what may come next. Think about the comforts of family, of friends, of pets, our homes, lives, and all the things that we think we know to be the ultimate reality, we think to be what makes us, us. Now realize that you can take none of it with you, it will all be left behind. Gone forever as if it never existed in the first place. This is impermanence.

We live under the assumption that all the things around us are our identity, we cleverly craft a story that we claim is our true nature and live in it as if It's a fairy tale. When it all goes away, will you be afraid? Will you know who you are? When we meditate, we get in touch with our true nature. Cutting off the outside world and looking inward.We cannot know when we will die, but we will die, maybe later today, maybe 50 years from now. Until we face our inevitable demise, we cannot appreciate the gift of life.

There is nothing to fear about death, nor is there any reason to romanticize it. It is simply a fact of life. Some call it the final test. Will you have regrets, or things you wish you would've done? Will you be able to let go of everyone and everything you've come to know? If not, there is much to be learned and much to contemplate. The sooner we let go, and prepare to leave it all behind, the sooner we can start to understand the true nature of life, and the more fulfilling our time spent will be. We can truly appreciate every moment spent with our loved ones, truly appreciate other human beings, truly appreciate animals and bugs, truly appreciate the flowers, truly appreciate the earth.

Do not be afraid, do not try to avoid it, accept it and live every moment. This is my advice on the topic.
  • I suggest everyone read this book at least once. It helps us all to wake up from the illusion we choose to live.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0062508342
  • if you could be okay dying now, you could probably be okay dying later
    Jeffreylobster
  • I once asked a wise old man what the secret to having fun in life might be. The old man told me, “Live each day as if it’s your last.” So I tried walking around sobbing, “I don’t want to die!” for the rest of the day.

It wasn’t any fun at all. I think the old man lied to me.

We understand the sentiment. People get so caught up with projects and deadlines that we neglect to pay attention to human connections and what needs done today. We can't actually live each day the same way we would live it, if it was our last day. That would be a huge mistake. We'd blow off work and concentrate on what makes us happy, including insisting people pay attention to us when they're also trying to make it through the day. Then we'd do that the next day, and eventually you'd destroy a good part of your life.

But, we can live each day as if it might be our last day, which is reality. Balance.

What about planning for our eventual death? I suppose there's a few practical things like a will and so on, but really, it's pretty much out of our hands in many cases. You're born, you live, you die. Some people grieve, then life goes on for everyone else, as it should. How much fuss people make over my death is up to them. Tears are temporary. Life goes on without me.

But this is a season about the miracle of birth and new beginnings. Happy Holidays to everyone!
    lobster
  • Thank you all for the insightful comments and thoughts. Today is indeed the season of birth and new begninngings; but as the year ends, another begins. Just like human and all life that inhabits the universe. To all, I hope you all have a safe and happy Season, and a wonderous new year. :D
    lobster