Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Alone or Together?

Hi all,

In your own personal experience, has it been better for you to practice Buddhism on your own (via reading books and things online without having any personal guru or teacher, etc.), or is having a teacher and/or being a part of a monastery or Buddhist group more beneficial to your personal practice?

I am just curious. I have been practicing on my own for the past couple of months, however, I am thinking about attending a local monastery to help further my practice and experience with Buddhism.

Thanks!

Comments

• DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    I like to have a balance. Sometimes one needs to be in a "Sangha," but sometimes one needs to be alone. As I get older, I seem to prefer to be alone, but that might all change. Great thread!:)
  • One still needs the guidence from one who's been where we are. :D
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited December 2012
    The Buddha left three " jewels " ..his own legacy the Buddha Jewel, his teaching The Dharma Jewel and the third jewel the Sangha Jewel..
    The Sangha Jewel is imo vital in this era.
    Reading..even the Suttas/Sutras, will only take us so far.. The Suttas are records of thoughts written in a language now extinct in a age of the world now completely remote from our times...there is no standard translation and all of the translations are more or less inadequate.
    At the other extreme are people will tell you that all you have to do is sit and pay attention and by some kind of magic your real nature will reveal itself.
    Trouble is if that happens at all its rare.
    Most people just end up going round in circles and writing endlessly about it, or giving up completely.
    Teachers are vital imo. They need not be full-blown Vajrayana Gurus, ( although if you find yourself drawn to that way...explore it ) they might just just be people who have learned a bit more than us from people who knew a bit more than them...
    But in many years involved with all this, all the people that strike me as knowing what they are talking about have had teachers..Even those who claim that teachers are not needed if they are actually still practicing turn out to have had teachers in the past...
    Keep your eyes open for sharpsters and quacks..do not have unrealistic expectations of mystics walking on water... but seek out solid, real, teachers.
    Jeffreylobster
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I enjoy my self-study. But I personally find a teacher invaluable. I look forward to my weekly sangha meetings, and I really like our group of people. We are all at different levels, but we have great discussions that keep me thinking and help me see things a different way. Trying to sort out some teachings alone or online can get very frustrating, you get a million different answers then feel frustrated because you don't know which way to go. I find having a teacher to be very grounding in that way.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    having a teacher and/or being a part of a monastery or Buddhist group more beneficial to your personal practice?
    This is better than going it alone. :)
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited December 2012
    Some of us have no choice but to be mostly on our own. I am the only dhamma practitioner I know in my daily life and the nearest Theravada monastery is an hour away, and where I go mostly , Bhavana Society Forest Monastery of WV, is five hours away.

so what has benefited me is an online Sangha/monastics on Second Life and also the internet(Bhikkhu Bodi, Ajahn Brahm, Bhante G, etc.. dhammatube channel on youtube is awesome :P).. these monastics on the internet were my first teachers as it were, and they continue to be along with Bhante G and Bhante Seelananda when I can make the 5 hour trip.

I see a strong benefit to doing the practice on your own.. if you have the wisdom to be able to guide yourself towards what is skillful and beneficial, but I also see the benefit of dhamma brothers and sisters. That being said I have an attachment to being by myself in the woods and seem to meditate better that way.

In the end we know that they can only offer some guidance.. we have to put in the work and make the decisions that lead to our own liberation.. so we really are alone the whole time.
  • I'd like a teacher. There's a pretty cool monk at our local temple, but finding the time to go can be a bit difficult. Which is a lame excuse really, because good teachers are hard to find.

But I'm also super judgemental and didn't like the look of the people there. This one chick had one of those t-shirts where it's the symbols of all the religions spelling out peace or some shit and I was just like, gimme a break. And there was this hippie dude wearing those pants that look like pajamas and he had these dreadlocks and I hate dreadlocks because they're so unhygienic... There was a super nice Australian guy though. He was cool.

Anyway, I kinda like going it alone, at least for now. I get to study on my own time and I don't have to go out in the cold.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    The danger of practicing alone is pride.
    The danger of practicing with a group is laziness.
    Since there are dangers no matter what the venue, I suppose the best anyone can do is keep on practicing.
    BhikkhuJayasaraMaryAnnelobster
  • Ajahn Sumedho " I sometimes meet people who tell me that they have been meditating for five years with no instruction.. I suspect that some of those people have had one years experience five times..."
    The issue is not simply alone or in a group. The issue is instruction which is from person to person and not from books.
    Which is how Buddhadharma has been taught for 2500 years. And what keeps it alive.
    ecdrewello1
    Citta said:

Ajahn Sumedho " I sometimes meet people who tell me that they have been meditating for five years with no instruction.. I suspect that some of those people have had one years experience five times..."
    The issue is not simply alone or in a group. The issue is instruction which is from person to person and not from books.
    Which is how Buddhadharma has been taught for 2500 years. And what keeps it alive.

if only the Dhamma was so wide spread that we could all avail ourselves of personal instruction :)
  • When I first got involved in Dharma there was two monasteries in the whole of the UK. I had no car..I was a medical student. I used to hitch to one of them for instruction every Sunday.
    Where theres a will......
    edited December 2012
    Citta said:

When I first got involved in Dharma there was two monasteries in the whole of the UK. I had no car..I was a medical student. I used to hitch to one of them for instruction every Sunday.

oh don't get me wrong,I agree,which is why I drive the 5 hours to West Virginia every other month for a group or personal retreat. Others may have more responsibilities then myself, like children, a wife, and a family( you know.. fetters :P) so they just couldn't take that time commitment.

also @citta .. you wouldn't happen to be Cittasanto on Dhammawheel would you?
  • Back in my Pagan days, I was always involved in Pagan study groups, festivals, gatherings, group rituals, etc.... Even taught classes in Wicca for a bit.
    I was the founding head of an eclectic tradition coven for a few years, and even threw a successful public gathering once, which is impressive because it was done in an area not known for religious 'diversity' and acceptance. Yet, it went really well!

About 98% of my experiences with all these kinds of groups and gatherings were positive, and fun learning experiences.
    But then I got burned... and burned badly; by my very own group that I started.
    It was heartbreaking and devastating for me. Took me a long, long time to get over it - for the most part.
    What I am left with is a strong aversion to all manner of organized groups and/or gatherings. I would love to go to a Buddhist temple for the experience, but I don't think I'd ever get involved with a study group, sangha, or anything like that again.
    It's difficult anyhow, because the only 2 or 3 sanghas or temples in NJ are hours away from where I am ...
  • So start with your aversion...
  • Citta said:

So start with your aversion...

Why? I really don't feel as if I'm missing out on anything.
    I'd like to go to a temple just for the experience of going to a temple. My aversion to groups doesn't keep me from doing that... my aversion to traveling in a car for hours does! ;) (So do my arthritic knees!)

One of the plusses for me for meeting with a group is that you learn to stop judging people based on your impression of what they are wearing and such. When I first met them, I did the same thing. But having people to practice with was more important, and I found that all those "weird" people were actually really good, nice, people with neat life stories and many things to add to my practice. The guy who was overly huggy and talked weird, is a very loving man who survived throat cancer, and now has a grand baby who was born at 25 weeks and is struggling to live. Instead of avoiding his hugging personality, I seek him out now. The "over the top new age woman" is a totally lovely person who teaches Qi Gong to elderly people for free. When you don't bother to get to know someone because they don't meet your ideals of what someone should be like, usually you are the one missing out on what they could bring to your life.

I'm sure plenty of people judged me when I showed up at the clinic this morning in my sweat pants, dearfoam slippers and a flannel shirt. But if they don't like it, they could come over and try to get my jeans over my canteloupe sized knee and my feet into shoes when I couldn't bend over, lol. You just never know what someone is going through when you judge them ;)
    lobsterMaryAnne
  • edited December 2012
    genkaku said:

Since there are dangers no matter what the venue, I suppose the best anyone can do is keep on practicing.

I get lazy when I'm alone... but then again, any time I light insense in my room my parents think that I'm summoning demons... so that might be part of why I'm adverse to practicing at home. I'll study, but I almost compleatly neglect my practice. I prefer to be with a group because I stress out that I'm going to do something wrong... and have to unlearn things. :(

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited December 2012
    "I would love to go to a Buddhist temple for the experience, but I don't think I'd ever get involved with a study group, sangha, or anything like that again."

@MaryAnne -- I hear you, sister. :)

Although I don't know your tradition or practice, I would vouch for the experience of sitting silently with a group. Something happens, but what that 'something' is doesn't open itself to frothy conversation, Buddhist or otherwise. Not that it's some kind of Magical Mystery Tour or something, but it is worth the time. The first time I walked into a meditation hall full of silent people, it scared the crap out of me. But I also knew something true was going on ... at least for my purposes. So I hung around a bit more and the initial scaries turned out to be not so scary ... there were other scaries that had much more meat on the bone. :)
    MaryAnne said:

Back in my Pagan days, I was always involved in Pagan study groups, festivals, gatherings, group rituals, etc.... Even taught classes in Wicca for a bit.
    I was the founding head of an eclectic tradition coven for a few years, and even threw a successful public gathering once, which is impressive because it was done in an area not known for religious 'diversity' and acceptance. Yet, it went really well!

About 98% of my experiences with all these kinds of groups and gatherings were positive, and fun learning experiences.
    It was heartbreaking and devastating for me. Took me a long, long time to get over it - for the most part.
    What I am left with is a strong aversion to all manner of organized groups and/or gatherings. I would love to go to a Buddhist temple for the experience, but I don't think I'd ever get involved with a study group, sangha, or anything like that again.
    It's difficult anyhow, because the only 2 or 3 sanghas or temples in NJ are hours away from where I am ...

@MaryAnne, you a Jersey girl? Where abouts? I'm in Ocean County.

genkaku said:

I get lazy when I'm alone... but then again, any time I light insense in my room my parents think that I'm summoning demons... so that might be part of why I'm adverse to practicing at home. I'll study, but I almost compleatly neglect my practice. I prefer to be with a group because I stress out that I'm going to do something wrong... and have to unlearn things. :(

you do not need incense to practice... or anything else, including an altar.. so don't feel you HAVE to do/have these things to practice. All you need is mindfulness :)
  • Jayantha said:

MaryAnne said:

Back in my Pagan days, I was always involved in Pagan study groups, festivals, gatherings, group rituals, etc.... Even taught classes in Wicca for a bit.

Hey neighbor! I'm in Toms River... Holiday City to be more specific. Yeah, I know, I'm an old bat, (56). But my husband is the real "senior" at 65. We moved to H C a few yrs. back because you get so much more house for the $ and also to live as close to my elderly parents as possible. We're only a block & a half away.
    MaryAnne said:

Jayantha said:

MaryAnne said:

Hey neighbor! I'm in Toms River... Holiday City to be more specific. Yeah, I know, I'm an old bat, (56). But my husband is the real "senior" at 65. We moved to H C a few yrs. back because you get so much more house for the $ and also to live as close to my elderly parents as possible. We're only a block & a half away.
    also in Toms River. I started a meetup group called "Ocean County Buddist Meditation", with the intent to create a local sangha with people from all traditions to come together and meditate and talk dhamma. Feel free to join if you'd like, there are 14 people so far - http://www.meetup.com/Ocean-County-Buddhist-Meditation/

right now I'm trying to figure out a place for us to gather and meditate indoors, since I'm the only silly person who probably meditates out in the cold. I'm gonna apply to use a room in the OC Library maybe.
  • Jayantha said:

Citta said:

When I first got involved in Dharma there was two monasteries in the whole of the UK. I had no car..I was a medical student. I used to hitch to one of them for instruction every Sunday.

oh don't get me wrong,I agree,which is why I drive the 5 hours to West Virginia every other month for a group or personal retreat. Others may have more responsibilities then myself, like children, a wife, and a family( you know.. fetters :P) so they just couldn't take that time commitment.

No..but I do know him..
    Citta said:

Jayantha said:

Citta said:

No..but I do know him..
    similar name... England.. sort of connected so I figured i'd ask. thanks.
  • karasti said:

One of the plusses for me for meeting with a group is that you learn to stop judging people based on your impression of what they are wearing and such. When I first met them, I did the same thing. But having people to practice with was more important, and I found that all those "weird" people were actually really good, nice, people with neat life stories and many things to add to my practice. The guy who was overly huggy and talked weird, is a very loving man who survived throat cancer, and now has a grand baby who was born at 25 weeks and is struggling to live. Instead of avoiding his hugging personality, I seek him out now. The "over the top new age woman" is a totally lovely person who teaches Qi Gong to elderly people for free. When you don't bother to get to know someone because they don't meet your ideals of what someone should be like, usually you are the one missing out on what they could bring to your life.

I'm sure plenty of people judged me when I showed up at the clinic this morning in my sweat pants, dearfoam slippers and a flannel shirt. But if they don't like it, they could come over and try to get my jeans over my canteloupe sized knee and my feet into shoes when I couldn't bend over, lol. You just never know what someone is going through when you judge them ;)

No, seriously, that chick's t-shirt was awful. I could never be friends who thinks something like that is remotely interesting or appropriate. And dreadlocks? Why would I want to be friends with someone who doesn't wash their hair? Dreadlocks can have bugs in them. Imagine you stood near someone and then a bug dropped off their hair on to you. I would just die. And they absolutely stink. They smell so rancid. They don't need meditation courses, they need hygiene 101.

Some people don't like the way I view people. That's cool with me. Frankly, I'm not going to start up a conversation with dreadlock man or dumb tshirt girl because I know I have nothing to say to either of them. The nice Australian guy? His clothes didn't look expensive or flashy, but they fit him well and they were clean and pressed. He has enough self awareness to be appropriate in society. He's not so narcissistic that he requires a hairdo or style of clothing that screams "look at me! Pay attention to me".

Because that's what I see when I see weird clothes and weird hair. I see an expression of their own narcissism and a childish need for attention. When they say they are expressing themselves, I couldn't agree more.

And I say this as someone who once had a shaved head and a Mohawk and every color of the rainbow hair. I say this as someone who associated solely with people with wild clothes, political t-shirts and dreadlocks for years. Thankfully, I grew out of it, but not everyone does.
  • @Jayantha

All signed up! :)
    RebeccaS said:

This one chick had one of those t-shirts where it's the symbols of all the religions spelling out peace or some shit and I was just like, gimme a break.

in my experience going to the theravada monasteries people are highly encouraged to only wear plain clothing.. with no markings or anything like that on them.Imo that is how it should be.
  • Jayantha said:

Citta said:

Jayantha said:

Citta said:

No..but I do know him..
    similar name... England.. sort of connected so I figured i'd ask. thanks.
    Cittasanto is an Anagarika attached to Amaravati Monastery.
    @RebeccaS I'm not trying to change your mind, just offering a different perspective. I certainly said you don't have to be friends with them. People are who they are, it would be an ugly and boring world if we all dressed and looked the same.
    MaryAnne
  • Together.
  • Jayantha said:

RebeccaS said:

This one chick had one of those t-shirts where it's the symbols of all the religions spelling out peace or some shit and I was just like, gimme a break.

in my experience going to the theravada monasteries people are highly encouraged to only wear plain clothing.. with no markings or anything like that on them.Imo that is how it should be.
    That's how it was supposed to be at this place... Guess she wasn't too concerned with the rules or why they're there. More narcissism ;)
    karasti said:

@RebeccaS I'm not trying to change your mind, just offering a different perspective. I certainly said you don't have to be friends with them. People are who they are, it would be an ugly and boring world if we all dressed and looked the same.

That it would :)
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    I have found that practising alone and together has been of secondary importance to a willingness to be present and open in this moment.
    I have also been profoudly greatful for the contributions both provided to teach me this.
    lobster
  • Karasti said: "When you don't bother to get to know someone because they don't meet your ideals of what someone should be like, usually you are the one missing out on what they could bring to your life. "

Ah... so true! You probably can't find a more outrageous and goofy looking group than a group of hard core pagans of various traditions gathered for rituals or festivals-
    everything from rainbow hair, mohawks, body piercings and modifications, tattoos, head-to-toe tie-dye clothing, (tie dye NEVER goes out of style with pagans! LOL), string bikini tops with jeans and thigh high leather boots, vegan friendly organic robes and gauzy style peasant dresses, togas and togs, kilts and saris, etc. You'll see both men and women wearing tons of make-up or body paint, and others who insist on being scrubbed clean head to toe. You'll see men with beards down to their navels and some with dreads, and men shaved bald everywhere. (and I mean everywhere).
    You'll see men wearing skirts, and mumus, too. Nakedness is also common when it's a clothing optional event.
    From the outside looking in, it's all outrageous and outside the box of society's conventional looks.
    But from the inside, one will find some of the most intelligent young, middle aged and old university professors, lawyers, bankers, writers, artists, musicians, teachers, etc, one can imagine amongst the most outrageous looking. Not saying there are no goofball batshit crazy types... because there are, just as there are in ANY group - no matter what the common thread may be for that group.

• @RebeccaS

A person with dirty or smelly dreads is a person who would probably be dirty and smelly without dreads. Don't blame the dreads. :-)

Dreads can be and should be washed 1-3 times a week. They even make special shampoos for dread hair that rinses squeaky clean, leaving no residue. Probably better than the shampoos most of us commonly use.
    There are many myths about dreadlocks and those that wear them. The majority of those myths originally stem from racism due to the color of dreadlocks wearing people's skin, which is almost always brown to black....

http://www.howtodread.com/dreadlock.html

Vastmindlobster
  • GuiGui Veteran
    The next person you see with dreadlocks might be a buddha. You just never know.
    MaryAnne
  • Some people who might complain about dreadlocks would think nothing of kissing their cat or being licked by their dog.
    If you can sit on a bus or hold the rail on an escalator then a few dreadlocks should not be a problem for you.
    MaryAnne
  • RebeccaSRebeccaS Veteran
    edited December 2012
    I'm speaking from my experience with dreadlocks. I watched one girl get hers cut out and her head had lice just crawling all over it as well as other dirt and debris.

So gross.
    RebeccaS said:

I'm speaking from my experience with dreadlocks. I watched one girl get hers cut out and her head had lice just crawling all over it as well as other dirt and debris.

So gross.

nothing beats a shaved head for male or female, don't waste any time preparing or caring for it and you don't have to worry about lice.. At least head lice anyways.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Anic said:

... I am thinking about attending a local monastery to help further my practice and experience with Buddhism.

Definitely worthwhile!