Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I want to draw like this guy does.

No - They are NOT photos.
    Jeffreyzombiegirl
  • Incredible...
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    edited February 2013
    Sweet. Here's my rendition of emptiness...

Lee82zombiegirlBonsaiDoug
  • Note to those who care:
    I'd like to share this with you all because for myself this is the reason why I exist on this earth. This is my life calling and this letter sums up everything my life has been for and will be for in the future.

Dharma Art-Genuine Art: A letter written on the occasion of the Naropa Institute's first summer program, July 1974. . From the book entitled, "True Perception-The Path of Dharma Art, written by Chögyam Trungpa Rinpoche.

"The term dharma art does not mean art depicting Buddhist symbols or ideas, such as the wheel of life or the story of Gautama Buddha. Rather, dharma art refers to art that springs from a certain state of mind on the part of the artist that could be called the meditative state. It is an attitude of directness and unself-consciousness in one's creative work.

The basic problem in artistic endeavor is the tendency to split the artist from the audience and then try to send a message from one to the other. When this happens, art becomes exhibitionism. One person may get a tremendous flash of inspiration and rush to "put it down on paper" to impress or excite others, and a more deliberate artist may strategize each step of his work in order to produce certain effects on his viewers. But no matter how well-intentioned or technically accomplished such approaches may be, they inevitably become clumsy and aggressive towards others and towards oneself.

In meditative art, the artist embodies the viewer as well as the creator of the works. Vision is not separate from operation, and there is no fear of being clumsy or failing to achieve his aspiration. He or she simply makes a painting, poem, piece of music, or whatever. In that sense, a complete novice could pick up a brush and, with the right state of mind, produce a masterpiece. It is possible, but that is a very hit-and-miss approach. In art, as in life generally, we need to study our craft, develop our skills, and absorb the knowledge and insight passed down by tradition.

But whether we have the attitude of a student who could still become more proficient in handling his materials, or the attitude of an accomplished master, when we are actually creating work of art there is a sense of total confidence. Our message is simple one of appreciating the nature of things as they are and expressing it without any struggle of thoughts and fears. We give up aggression, both towards ourselves, that we have to make a special effort to impress people, and towards others, that we can put something over on them.

Genuine art-dharma art-is simply the activity of nonaggression."
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    federica said:

He's like Chuck Close with a pencil. :) Close has always been one of my favorite artists because he didn't even let being paralyzed from the neck down stop him. If anything, his work just became even more amazing.

@taiyaki Very interesting. Do you have any links for techniques for developing this type of skill?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2013
    Chuck close is extraordinary. Both artists are phenomenally talented and their individual work is breathtaking...
    zombiegirl
  • federica said:

He's like Chuck Close with a pencil. :) Close has always been one of my favorite artists because he didn't even let being paralyzed from the neck down stop him. If anything, his work just became even more amazing.

@taiyaki Very interesting. Do you have any links for techniques for developing this type of skill?
    Pick up the book true perception.

Techniques? I'd say practice any art form really as they all deal with the mind.

But some great techniques is doodling. Google doodling. The surrealistic technique called automatic drawing. And learning to draw from observation.

I'd say really any form of creativity. Where you are thinking, developing new ideas, solutions, and just overall using your body as the medium. When we use our bodies we are out of our heads. We paint with our bodies, we live as the body, we eat, we sleep, we talk, we walk about. Our body is the purest expression of art. And from that arises confidence and an outward flow of expression which can be channeled into anything.

I once read a story about a dancer whose main practice was to work at a bar. He said that was where he learned to dance and the performance was just icing on the cake.

Something like that.