Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Should I be a Buddha or Bodhisattva?

Can we progress in Dharma without renunciation?
is a question Sharonsaw asked in another thread. As someone destined to become a Buddha in 2013, I have to consider the options of renunciation.
Did the Buddha become a Bodhisattva after his enlightenment? Certainly seems that way.
Obviously for the sake of all beings (including the fish) I will have to renounce any renunciation to not become.
One of the vows of a Bodhisattva is to save every 'blade of grass'. I have noticed there is a lot of grass. :-/

What I may need is a dharma lawn mower? Every Buddha has to have a vehicle.

Maybe a grass seeder would work as well . . .

May all beings gain awakening.
Me especially.
:om:

Comments

• A bodhisattva is a path to renounce peace and go into love. The path leads to full nirvana rather than peaceful nirvana. Full nirvana is liberation from staying to ourselves and recognizing that you cannot do other than liberate beings.

So peaceful nirvana is a waystop and Buddha eventually calls on you to set out and complete the journey. The six paramitas are studied with resolve and wisdom. They are perfections in that they are non-grasping endless Buddha activity.

Some traditions say otherwise and this is off the top of my non-monk head.

But it is like a parent who could have peace but they take someone else into their heart and labor to make things the best for their kids. This has the side benefit of destroying ego. The bodhisattva path is the path to destroy ego and it is a path to become a Buddha.

I think it's a myth that a bodhisattva puts of becoming a Buddha without the distinction of peaceful and full nirvana. It's a myth just like telling the Theravada is only/mostly for monks which my 1970s encyclopedia had said is true.
  • edited February 2013
    Becoming a Bodhisattva takes a lot of commitment to the vows. Not that I have taken such vows, though I have read of them. Keep in mind however, that a Bodhisattva takes these vows out of compassion for all sentient beings. With that said, a "blade of grass" is also a sentient being. It is up to you though to decide which path you wish to follow.
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited February 2013
    being an Arahant is a good goal to "not" strive for to me ;)

One of these lifetimes I will state the victory cry of the Arahants -

"Birth is ended, the holy life fulfilled, the task done. There is nothing further for this world."
    Tetruss
  • @Jayantha, you are a very wise and insightful being my friend.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    lobster said:

Every Buddha has to have a vehicle.
    :om:
    @lobster, your vehicle is quite obviously poetry. Unfortunately for the layman, we cannot always follow very far...

Hey, but many, many thanks!!!
    :rocker: :om:
    Begin_Being
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    If you get a riding lawn mower please don't use it at 5am.

I found your post interesting @Jeffrey. My teacher (Tibetan) explains it as Bodhisattva's being those who basically choose to not be enlightened until all beings can also be enlightened. They take vows to work specifically on behalf of others, not just themselves. I went to a retreat with Lama D. Dorjee and he basically said the same things. I found interesting that you stated it as renouncing peace in favor of love. I have never heard it described that way so it's something I am pondering. My teacher has said more than once that Bodhisattvas work towards the liberation of all beings. Of course, no one can liberate anyone else. I took it to mean, as far as he was saying anyhow, that they usually become teachers to help people along. It is up to me to liberate myself, but I am not sure I would have gotten very far in my practice without my teacher. Whether he is, or is working towards Bodhisattva and has taken vows, I do not know.
    Renouncing peace in favor of love?
    What does that mean?

........................................................................................................................................

(If I weren't averse to posting double posts, I'd have stopped there and then reposted this post in its entirety.)

Letting go of surety and abandoning yourself to loving all things? All creatures? I don't mean to narrow the scope here, though.

I think I understand Rumi's "Sell all your cleverness and pursue bewilderment," but I've also heard it said that those who know don't speak and those who don't know do speak.

The reason I mention Rumi's words here is that I think embracing bewilderment is embracing everything, which is love.
  • Both my wife and I have taken the vow of the Bodhisattva receiving the initiation from His Holiness the Dalai Lama. These vows require a specific daily practice that must be followed and tended too with the strongest intent and with the deepest heart. This practice is about bringing yourself to enlightenment so that you become a vacuum that brings everyone in contact with you into the light of truth and freedom; so that they can seek their own fulfillment. His Holiness was quick to point out that the words Buddha and Bodhisattva are just that, words; or labels that we humans need to use. The truth is in the practice and in the faith of your practice... finding what truly resonates within you.

Find your way and follow it with all your heart... Open your mind to all possibilities and be mindful, and the Truth will be presented to you...

NirvanaJeffreyInvincible_summer
  • I'd have to say that from a certain point of view being a Bodhisattva sounds insane.

But actually the real bodhisattva path starts once two fold emptiness is realized. Because then the individual mindstream recognizes that actually one's life is the activity of compassion and that all things are already in completion. This life is the Buddha and the five skandhas are the activity of enlightenment. Then one gladly work towards Buddhahood by working on the paramitas/bhumis.

From another view point there is only one bhumi. Either you realize Buddhahood or you don't. But still we must assert a progressive path because of our karmic seeds of the past. It is empty but the appearances still manifest as the activity.

So what does this all mean in easy, simple talk?

It means everything already is accomplished if we stay in the knowledge of this. And it isn't something we can just fake, we must intuitively touch this fact of existence. And the path required of one will manifest as ones life.

But that is an idealistic view and for the most part not practical for most individuals.

The Buddha became the Buddha because of his countless lives as a Bodhisattva.

One suggestion I have is:

why? and what is this "I". And more importantly how is the "I" constructed?
    NirvanaInvincible_summer
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited February 2013
    Heresy alert! The title of this thread, spawned this one.

I often see this as a "How many Angles can dance on the head of a pin" kind of issue, since those discussing it never look like they are currently in a position to choose either..

Where are the boundaries between self and other that even allow for a distinct Buddha or Bodhisattva. Choosing either, as an identity, is my definition of spiritual hubris.
    Has anyone here really found themselves on the cusp of that fork on the spiritual path?
    IMHO, Buddha and Bodhisattva are just two teachings to embrace within this very moment.
    It's not Peace or love. It's about how not to choose one over the other.

Mostly I see Bodhisattva teachings as admonishments to practitioners to not stray towards Prechekka Buddha tendencies just as buddhahood teachings are the admonishment that says that only by transcending the self can you really help others.

In my studies, Bodhisattva teachings arose at the same time that large Buddhist centres were having problems with those who had became too comfortable with their own spiritual achievements. The Bodhisattva teaching was the perfect kick in the ass for those so afflicted.

NirvanaInvincible_summer
  • Mahayana was also a reaction against the early schools of Buddhism.

Basically emptiness of phenomena and the compassion aspect was being neglected in the early schools. The early schools posited a thing that is remained after one attains the emptiness of self. The highlight of this would be an Arhat who attains individual nirvana all while the world burns and crumbles.

The view inherent in such schools is dualistic. Freedom is always apart and independent from everything. Samsara and nirvana do not touch.

The view inherent in Mahayana is nondualistic. Samsara and nirvana are the same. Individual freedom is only relevant to help the broader world's vehicle towards freedom, all while maintaining the realization that everything is completed thus infinite lifetimes as a helper is all one can do.

I do think they both lead to the same arena which is freedom from suffering. But they are stylistically different and different individuals will feel drawn towards each vehicle based on their karma.

But anyone who has practiced the dharma understands that the differences are completely conceptual.
    Invincible_summer
  • TakuanTakuan Veteran
    edited February 2013
    Bodhisattvas don't become Buddhas because they already are Buddhas. So... if you're a Buddha, then you are a Bodhisattva. If you are a Bodhisattva then you are already a Buddha. My momma always said, "Buddha is as Buddha does."
    Tetruss
    @taiyaki, your post two above this confuses me. Not saying that my view of the great universe is in any way predicated on samsara, but I simply don't understand how anyone can maintain --even for a minute-- that samsara and nirvana are the same --in any Buddhist conceptual framework.

The way I understand it, in classical Indian/Asian terms samsara is a great recycling circle through which even gods get recycled into worms and such until nirvana/extinguishment frees the being from this endless round of being chained to either a bodily or other confining existence.
    Therefore nirvana is the ending of samsara, or the escape from it.

• nirvana is non-grasping. samsara is grasping. they are not the same just as non-jumping is not jumping.

But I think taiyaki was saying that nirvana is transformed samsaric conditioning (is that right word?) resulting in nirvana which is complete wisdom and compassion.
  • Nirvana said:

The way I understand it (rightly or wrongly, feel free to correct me), is that 'nirvana' is the cessation of dukkha (suffering) while 'parinirvana' (pari- I believe meaning 'complete') is the escape from samsara (cycle of death and rebirth).

The Buddha reached nirvana under the Bodhi tree at the approximate age of 35. If nirvana was the end of 'being chained to either a bodily or other confining existence', as you put it, then surely he would have simply ceased to be at that point? However, the story goes that he lived to the age of 80 and it was then that he was released from the cycle of rebirth (parinirvana).
    Nirvana
  • YaskanYaskan Explorer
    edited February 2013
    Nirvana said:

@taiyaki, your post two above this confuses me. Not saying that my view of the great universe is in any way predicated on samsara, but I simply don't understand how anyone can maintain --even for a minute-- that samsara and nirvana are the same --in any Buddhist conceptual framework.

My apologies for the double post, but I missed the edit time limit and I just remembered something I wanted to add.

About samsara and nirvana being the same, I recall that being a part of the Two Truths Doctrine, specifically taught in Mahayana Buddhism (?). The doctrine also being taught in Theravada, but not in relation to nirvana and samsara being the same.
  • Nirvana said:

The way I understand it, in classical Indian/Asian terms samsara is a great recycling circle through which even gods get recycled into worms and such until nirvana/extinguishment frees the being from this endless round of being chained to either a bodily or other confining existence.

Imagine a figure 8. Where the two circles meet is our life. Now the circles spin and if we focus on a thing we see movement around the circles. But if we don't see a thing we see that each movement is actually another figure 8.

You cannot understand this intellectually, the dualistic mind won't allow it.

But it is something one can experience and realize through practice and immersing oneself in this instant with total trust.

I cannot give you an adequate answer but the metaphor above should do.
    Invincible_summer
  • Another way to frame it in a more Buddhist way.

The five skandhas apprehended as inherent existent or having independent existence is the cause of samsara.

The five skandhas apprehended as empty of inherent existence is the cause of nirvana.

The activity of enlightenment is the skandhas when correctly apprehended.

Becoming a Buddha is just releasing an imaginary hand that believed that there were imaginary objects. No coming and going, no arising, unborn, unfabricated appearances.

This is very difficult to accept if one follows a dualistic vehicle.

The very heart of longing is both the seed of enlightenment and the seed of ignorance.

This is the view of Mahayana and Vajrayana but those are built on the view of Hinayana.

So I understand your confusion and conflict.
    Invincible_summer
  • For those interested in the difference between vehicles by Robert Thurman:

Thanks, @Yaskan, for refreshing me. Gosh, I can't even quote well-known verses from Rumi aright when I get on the old Ube-Tube (Purchase Bewilderment, I meant above.).
    Nice.
  • Thanks guys for your advisement. It has certainly made my efforts to be a new type of premature Maitriya Buddha more farcical. At this rate of development I could become a Buddha without anyone, including me, knowing. I may be releasing my first wheel turning sermon, from a pre-Buddha vantage, which might make it more acceptable to the Samsarians, such as myself:
    something along these lines perhaps . . .
    There may be trouble ahead
    But while there's moonlight and music
    And love and romance
    Let's face the music and dance
    Nirvana
  • My thought and personal philosophy is to continue on in Dharma progress ( in whatever tradition and form of practice is a good fit ) and all is revealed in due course ....or perhaps just focus on the temporary enjoyment and hope for the best as lobster suggests above
  • If you are Buddha, then be a Buddha. If you are a Bodhisattva, then be a Bodhisattva. You have to be yourself.
  • First, become yourself :)
  • First, become yourself
    A little time with Mr Cushion, makes me fully aware, there is no such animal, being or independent soul.

oh the humanity ;)

So the emergence of Buddha, Bodhi or 'Super-cructacean' is something to give up.
    . . . Gosh such wisdom . . . I could almost be a Buddha . . . :wave:
    Nirvana
    Ah, lobster, you're such a poet!

Peace Be on You!