Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I didn't find it, my soul did.

CoryCory Tennessee Veteran
My life has been hectic up until a few months ago. I was just browsing around my local library and just this one book stood out to me. I wasn't sure what to expect, but when I opened it up It changed everything. The book was called Power Freedom and Grace, by Deepak Chopra. If you know who he is than I know what you are thinking, "But he is Hindu."

After I turned in the book, I found a book by the Dalai Lama and Victor Chan called Wisdom of Forgiveness. I am still reading it now and am almost finished. My life is taking a serious turn around, and I don't know what would have happened if I didn't find that first book. To me it was destiny that I found it. I have taken some of those Hindu teachings and integrated them well with my buddhist beliefs.

Has anybody else had an instance where you were drawn to something for an unknown reason (at that time), that changed your life positively?

TheEccentric

Comments

• Yes... I have found great teachings in books that had seem to jump out at me. And, these teachings were always spot on with the issue I was dealing with at the time.

This is also how I found my teacher... but that in itself is a long story...
    Cory
  • edited February 2013
    When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.
    Invincible_summer
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran
    Things jumping out are things resonating.
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    Recently I have read several books by Tibetan Monk and founder of the New Kadampa Tradition; Geshe Kelsang Gyatso and I have noticed changes in my life already, the mediatations he has pescribed in his books are helping me stay happy often when external conditions are bad and have improved the way I look at people. Buddhism in general has changed my life in a very positive way.
    Bunks
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran

I'm ready for Yoda to appear but he wont!!! no fair.

Invincible_summerCoryTheEccentric
  • CoryCory Tennessee Veteran

This reminds me of Fire in the Heart: A Spiritual Guide for Teens.
  • Jayantha said:

I'm ready for Yoda to appear but he wont!!! no fair.

We don't choose the teacher, the teacher chooses us.

lobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Cory said:

Has anybody else had an instance where you were drawn to something for an unknown reason (at that time), that changed your life positively?

This is what absolutely knocked me for six and hurtled me into Buddhism without so much as a backward glance...
    My mother - a devout, church-going Roman Catholic woman, gave me the book, "The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying" by Sogyal Rinpoche.
    I was absolutely and utterly, completely convinced that this book had been written with the sole purpose of being read by me. It was just waiting for me to open the cover.
    I read it non-stop (it's a big book!) but it completely changed my life overnight.
    CoryBunks
  • edited February 2013
    I had no idea what Buddhism really consisted of before it found me. I was going through a rough patch in my life/marriage and was in Portland, OR for a conference. I happened to check out Powell's Books while there on a whim (4 stories, a full city block) and after spending more than 3 hours browsing through over a million books I walked out purchasing only HHDL's "Little Book of Wisdom". There is no such thing as coincidence.
  • PS- life and marriage is good.
    I wrote a poem to describe, In a nut shell, what The book taught me. I made a discussion about it but it's not getting much attention lol.

Behind the wall lies an eternal fire,
    break down the wall to let it out.
    The flame will never go, so take your time,
    sit patiently outside the wall with your heart open wide.

The only power that can break down the wall,
    is the ability to believe you can do it.
    The wall is your ego, and the flame is your soul,
    your mind is a sledge hammer, and your belief is your strength.

Bunks
  • I_AM_THAT said:

Yes... I have found great teachings in books that had seem to jump out at me. And, these teachings were always spot on with the issue I was dealing with at the time.

This is also how I found my teacher... but that in itself is a long story...

I, for one, would be interested in hearing it.

Cory

I, for one, would be interested in hearing it.

I can only chose one, but I want to say lol and awesome!
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited February 2013

“Mano pubbangama dhamma: all the dhammas (phenomena) have the mind as its chief (or master).” Dhammapada

Aka "The Law of Attraction"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_attraction