Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Putting Buddhism Into Action

edited February 2013 in Buddhism Basics
I was skiing with a friend this past Monday (cross-country) when I hit a patch of ice on a twisty hill, hit the deep snow and tore my left knee up. We were a couple of miles from our cars and fortunately had cell service and were able to call 911 for rescue. As I was sitting in the snow waiting for the rescue team (about an hour) I meditated. It was getting colder and windier out, I wasn't sure what I had done to my leg (I couldn't stand on it- thought it might be broken), and, to top it off, we had seen fairly fresh cougar tracks on the trail not far away. My practice helped me maintain calm throughout the whole ordeal (including the 5 hours I spent in the ER after getting to the hospital after an ambulance ride)
I think I am going to get lots of opportunities to continue my practice, including embracing pain, over the next few weeks. Will be having surgery (tore my ACL's, MCL's, mensicus, and "a bunch of other stuff" (as per the ER doc after looking at the MRI I had) after the swelling goes down. Glad I have a lot of sick leave saved up. Don't think I'll be sitting in full lotus, however...
ThailandTomInvincible_summerBhikkhuJayasaraCoryBrian

Comments

• Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    Hope you heal up! Glad to know you came out of it safe. Great application of practice too!
    lamaramadingdong
  • :bawl:

Sad. Happens.
    Get well. Try and inspire us with your words of wisdom, whilst your vehicle is impounded [so to speak] . . . :wave:
    lamaramadingdong
  • Ooff... get well soon mate.
    lamaramadingdong
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran

I was skiing with a friend this past Monday (cross-country) when I hit a patch of ice on a twisty hill, hit the deep snow and tore my left knee up. We were a couple of miles from our cars and fortunately had cell service and were able to call 911 for rescue. As I was sitting in the snow waiting for the rescue team (about an hour) I meditated. It was getting colder and windier out, I wasn't sure what I had done to my leg (I couldn't stand on it- thought it might be broken), and, to top it off, we had seen fairly fresh cougar tracks on the trail not far away. My practice helped me maintain calm throughout the whole ordeal (including the 5 hours I spent in the ER after getting to the hospital after an ambulance ride)
    I think I am going to get lots of opportunities to continue my practice, including embracing pain, over the next few weeks. Will be having surgery (tore my ACL's, MCL's, mensicus, and "a bunch of other stuff" (as per the ER doc after looking at the MRI I had) after the swelling goes down. Glad I have a lot of sick leave saved up. Don't think I'll be sitting in full lotus, however...

Sadu Sadu Sadu :)

lamaramadingdong
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    Look at that lama leg!
    I'm assuming you don't do crafts, hahaha,
    so like Lobster, I will be expecting more
    posts while you're sucking up all your sick leave.

Pain management will teach you alot.....
    believe me.
    Hang in there! You will come
    out appreciating things like never before.
    lamaramadingdong
  • Owee!! I feel for ya brother....

I took a wicked fall at the beach years ago, my one leg got sucked down into soft sand in the undertow, while the entire rest of my body spun around and got pulled the other way! Yeeesh! Same kind of injuries as yours I think... torn meniscus, pulled tendon at the back of my knee, sprained the crap out of the ankle on the same leg.... Ooooh I feel for ya brother....

(I was on crutches for 6 weeks... but no surgery)

I hope you feel MUCH better real soon!!

:)
    lamaramadingdong
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    edited February 2013
    Who do you think you are, Adrian Peterson? ;) Ouch! best wishes to you! I injured my knee bowling in December and had surgery on it 3 weeks ago. Still recovering and possibly looking at more surgery in the future. They do amazing things with surgery now, you'll be back at it before you know it. Plus it's a great reason to catch up on other things, like reading and puzzles and video teachings. It'll try your patience like you won't believe, or at least it did (and still does) mine. More mentally than physically once the initial pain subsides from the injury and then from the surgery. I'm sure you'll find Buddhist practice helping you out quite a lot. It did me. I hope your surgery and recovery go smoothly.
    lamaramadingdong
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

Didn't anyone warn you that Lamas are notoriously poor cross country skiers? Something about it being strictly a bipedal sport.
    Was this cross county or telemarking?
    Were you with a friend or a yahoo?
    At 58, I have fearless friends (yahoos) that I no longer ski with because my job's version of sick leave is just leave with no pay.

My sympathies man, that swelling looks nasty..
    lamaramadingdong
  • Impressive that you were able to remain so calm. That's a painful injury. I hope that the doctors take good care of you and that you heal up good as new.
  • Thanks all for the concern and laughs- nice balance. The trail was beautiful and in great condition until the freezing mist/rain started- iced the trail up in a hurry. Seeing an orthopedist on Friday.