Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Any books/movies where one sets off travelling in search of meaning or finding himself etc etc??

So far ive read;

Pilgrimage.

Little buddha.

Compass.

Monk who sold his ferrarri.

Anyone know any more please?

Comments

• robotrobot Veteran
    Try Ghost Rider by Neil Peart.
    After losing his daughter to an accident then his wife a short time later to cancer his grief was very intense. He gave up his music and went on a continent wide motorcycle trip. It's a really good read.
    zenmyste
  • edited April 2013
    Life of Pi kinda fits that mold.
    zenmyste
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    "Siddhartha", by Hermann Hesse.
    "Lion King". :)
    zenmyste
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Into the Wild is like that, guy gives up his inheritance and takes just a few things to live in the wilderness in Alaska.

The Camino, by Shirley Maclaine. This is a really good book and I've read it multiple times. It is her story about hiking the Camino in Spain. The Camino is a spiritual pilgrimage.
    Invincible_summerzenmyste
  • chelachela Veteran
    Ah, I was going to say "Into the Wild" but @karasti covered it. ;)
  • riverflowriverflow Veteran
    edited April 2013
    Akira Kurosawa's IKIRU (1952)

'This is one of the few movies that might actually inspire someone to lead their life a little differently.' ~ Roger Ebert
    Invincible_summerzenmyste
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    Island Etude is supposed to be a pretty good film, a bit hard to find though.

Also, it can be argued that The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien is about self-discovery.

zenmyste
  • Try The Conference of the Birds (Attar). A famous classic tale of the search for one thing and the finding of another.
    zenmystelobster
  • Forrest Gump

He finally found his purpose, like Mama said.
    zenmysteJeffrey
  • Spring Summer Autumn Winter Spring is by far the best Buddhist movie out there
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    "The Razor's Edge"
  • Start a blog or diary of your own journey . . . just an idea . . .
    riverflownenkohai
  • "Man of Steel" theatrical trailer #3.

yea, no kidding.
  • JimyoJimyo Explorer
    I suppose The Alchemist falls into this category. A fantastic and inspiring read however you'd describe it. Soon to be a film too, if rumours are to be believed.
  • lobster said:

Start a blog or diary of your own journey . . . just an idea . . .

I work 6 days a week ! 11 hoursa a day! When i finish work, i eat and sleep!

What could i write about and any suggestions on making it interesting? lol

• I'm surprised no one has mentioned Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance yet, although it has a lot less to do with Zen then you would think but is a good example of a person travelling in search of meaning.

It's been a long time since I read it, but if I remember correctly it it involves a man and his son on a motorcycle trip across America. They guy (who I believe was a philosophy professor) had recently had a nervous breakdown after becoming obsessed with what is "quality" and what is "beauty".

In the book, he explores these philosophical concepts in depth, recovers his mental health, and talks quite a bit about motorcycles.
    person
  • Lee82Lee82 Veteran
    Have added a few of the above mentioned films to my Amazon wish list to pick up at some point, thanks.
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    edited April 2013
    please watch this movie Life of Master Dogen:
    riverflowperson
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    Jitterbug Perfume- by Tom Robbins
  • sndymornsndymorn Veteran
    edited April 2013
    "The Razors Edge"
    Kind of odd but meets your criterion.
    Oh, Vinlyn already suggested this.... I love Sommerset Maugham !
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2013
    Up in Smoke, by Cheech and Chong. haha just kidding around.

riverflow
  • Lee82Lee82 Veteran
    Watched 'Into the Wild' last night, brilliant film, already wanting to watch it again!

Watched Ikiru last week too, was ok but it lost me when it switched from present time to reflecting on the past. Was like they ran of time and just missed out months of the story, spoiled it for me.

Wanting to watch Spring Summer... next but will have to buy cause it's not online or on Netflix.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    rivercane said:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance yet, although it has a lot less to do with Zen then you would think but is a good example of a person travelling in search of meaning.

When I was a young kid, I found this book sitting on my dad's bookshelf. Along with a lot of Foxfire manuals and other things that looked so boring. Funny how as I ge tolder, I'm so like my dad who I felt so unlike when I was younger.
  • GlowGlow Veteran
    One of the most life-changing books I've ever read is an out-of-print gem called Vagabonding In America: A Guidebook About Energy by Ed Buryn. It's a poetic, philosophical, and quirky guidebook about hitch0hiking through the U.S. in the 1970s. It made me see this country in a different light.
  • Lee82Lee82 Veteran
    Kind of related, I watched Seven Years in Tibet last night. Not sure of the authenticity of the goings on in Tibet but was a good insight and some things tied in with the Dalai Lama's autobiography of his childhood years. Worth a watch.
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    He doesn't exactly go traveling, but he certainly seems to find himself. "Alone in the Wilderness" is a documentary filmed entirely by one person, who decided to live entirely alone in Alaska, far from any civilization. It goes through the first year of his life, the building of his cabin, how he lives, personal thoughts, etc. t was filmed on 16mm film in the late 60's, so the quality of the film itself isn't the highest, but, they did a good job of sharpening it up and such.

OH right, a link http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0437806/plotsummary?ref_=tt_ov_pl
  • sndymornsndymorn Veteran
    riverflow said:

Akira Kurosawa's IKIRU (1952)

'This is one of the few movies that might actually inspire someone to lead their life a little differently.' ~ Roger Ebert

One of my favorite movies ever... Such an eye opener.