Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

the Zen of Nihilism

I would like your thoughts on this please. I have never been grand at explaining myself so i hope i get my msg across.

After so much study and meditation i came to a feeling of emptyness or sunyata. A description of Nihilism fit what i was feeling bang on. Furthur thought lead me to think if there is no inherent purpose, meaning or morality no one can be right or wrong in the way of conceptual truths. I then thought that we all live under a veil of subjectivity. This seems to be leading towards non-duality.

I would like to know if anyone has experienced anything similar and how they went from here.

Comments

• Sunyata is not "nothingness"--even emptiness is empty. Nonduality and nihilism are not the same thing at all. This is something Nagarjuna repeatedly warned about falling into such a mental trap.

Emptiness is not a metaphysical substratum underlying all reality. To say so would be to say Emptiness CAUSES form. Instead, form is emptiness and emptiness is form. They are not two. The existence of everything is entirely relational, there is no essential metaphysical foundation to say "THAT is REAL reality as opposed to 'mere appearances.'"

Emptiness is not how things REALLY are because that would be to rest in a concept. The emptiness of emptiness is to push you out of conceptual thinking altogether.

So if you are thinking "Everything is REALLY empty" then your understanding of emptiness is partial. The wisdom of emptiness and the compassion of no separation are one and the same--which is a far cry from nihilism.

Unfortunately I have work, but please read this:

http://www.emptinessteachings.com/index.php

And also I would suggest Thich Nhat Hanh's brief commentary on the Heart Sutra, The Heart of Understanding.
    Wisdom23Invincible_summerFlorianMigyur
  • Nihilism is not the same as emptiness. You are not empty of anything.

Nihilism is a feeling, or interpretation, it is a way of experiencing the world. There is a sutra on this that maybe someone will access for you . . .
    riverflowWisdom23
  • The real question is "Empty of what"?

HERE is something that might help from Thich Nhat Hanh:

http://www.thebuddhadharma.com/web-archive/2012/8/5/the-fullness-of-emptiness.html

Wisdom23
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Not having an inherently solid foundation for morality doesn't mean that there is no morality.

Not getting punched in the face is better than being punched in the face.

What Buddhists take as a foundation is the relative notion that beings would rather be happy than to suffer. So human happiness and flourishing is a good place to start our moral considerations from.
    Wisdom23
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    person said:

So human happiness and flourishing is a good place to start our moral considerations from.

Is there another place to start from?
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    If you're feeling gloomy and depressed about it, that's not it.
    If you're feeling assured and savvy about it, that's not it.

Take a tip from the Internet and "Please try again."

Or, put another way, get over yourself.
  • Then learn dependent origination, dependent arising.

Emptiness negates a specific thing, which is inherent existence.

It doesn't negate everything into oblivion, just inherent existence.

And in emptiness teachings causality is a reality. Conventional reality functions, provides meaning, etc. People and things exists conventionally, but are free from labels of nothing and something.

Its a very subtle insight and its best to even study an intellectual view on this.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_20/175-8406008-6628156?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=how to see yourself as you really are&sprefix=how+to+see+yourself+,aps,232&rh=i:aps,k:how to see yourself as you really are&ajr=2

This is a great book to start!
    riverflow
    edited April 2013
    taiyaki said:

Then learn dependent origination, dependent arising.

And in emptiness teachings causality is a reality. Conventional reality functions, provides meaning, etc. People and things exists conventionally, but are free from labels of nothing and something.

Causality is just an idea, or as you are fond of putting it, just a projection. A projection no different in nature than the SELF. :eek:
    riverflow said:

The wisdom of emptiness and the compassion of no separation are one and the same--which is a far cry from nihilism.

The problem here seems to be that ignorance and cruelty are also empty. OOPS! :o
    Nevermind said:

person said:

So human happiness and flourishing is a good place to start our moral considerations from.

Is there another place to start from?
    Well, this idea of a relative basis for morality stands against theistic religions which cite God as the foundation of morality.
    God's not into human happiness and flourishing?
  • riverflowriverflow Veteran
    edited April 2013
    Nevermind said:

That would depend largely on the god in question!

imageimage
    Nevermind said:

If often works out that the two moralities coincide, but not always.

If you asked many Christians about teaching morals in school and told them that you were basing the curriculum on human happiness and flourishing and not God you would very quickly see a distinction.

riverflow
    person said:

Nevermind said:

Two moralities? What two moralities?
    Nevermind said:

person said:

Nevermind said:

Here's a good article on it.

http://www.secularhumanism.org/index.php?page=kurtz_21_3&section=library
  • EnigmaEnigma Explorer
    edited April 2013
    "It is" is a notion of eternity. "It is not" is a nihilistic view. Therefore, one who is wise does not have recourse to "being" or "non-being."

(Nagarjuna, Mulamadhyamakakarika 15.10)

Emptiness is proclaimed by the victorious one as the refutation of all viewpoints; But those who hold "emptiness" as a viewpoint — the true perceivers have called those "incurable" (asadhya).

(Nagarjuna, Mulamadhyamakakarika 13.8)
    personriverflowInvincible_summer
    person said:

Nevermind said:

person said:

Nevermind said:

From the article:
    What they [critics of secular humanist morality] overlook is the fact that humanist ethics is so deeply ingrained in human culture that even religious conservatives accept many (if not all) of its ethical premises-though, like Molière's Bourgeois Gentilhomme, who was surprised when he was told that he spoke and wrote in prose, many people will be equally surprised to discover this.
    Are you surprised, Person? :p
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2013
    But emptiness is form.

Oh and don't forget feeling, perception, habits, and conscious.

This is dynamite. You should get a teacher if you go this way. There are numerous warnings not to teach anyone about emptiness who doesn't have support of a teacher/sangha. It's part of the bodhisattva vows of shantideva for christ sakes. Emptiness is dynamite. Even by posting here I am giving readers the credit that they will make an informed sensible decision about where to base their practice (or find a teacher).
  • Thank you for clearing this up peeps.
    edited April 2013
    Nevermind said:

person said:

Nevermind said:

person said:

Nevermind said:

From the article:
    What they [critics of secular humanist morality] overlook is the fact that humanist ethics is so deeply ingrained in human culture that even religious conservatives accept many (if not all) of its ethical premises-though, like Molière's Bourgeois Gentilhomme, who was surprised when he was told that he spoke and wrote in prose, many people will be equally surprised to discover this.
    Are you surprised, Person? :p

No, in fact I said as much earlier.
    It often works out that the two moralities coincide, but not always.
    I really don't agree with your point that an absolute morality that comes from God is identical to one based on human values. I think there are many examples of ways that an absolute morality has deviated from humanist ethics, all the instances of violence justified by religion for example.
  • @Wisdom23, these are valuable thoughts, if they lead you in the right direction. In and of themselves, they are not emptiness or non-duality, nor are they particularly useful. Emptiness is most crucially a mode of perception which enables insight meditation. It is not an intellectual idea, but a skill. However, realization of intellectual ideas can lead you in the direction of the skill, as long as you don't take the ideas as the goal.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    edited April 2013
    Nevermind said:

taiyaki said:

Causality is just an idea, or as you are fond of putting it, just a projection. A projection no different in nature than the SELF. :eek:
    Nevertheless just because its an idea, it doesn't deny its function, practicality and usefulness.

Not sure what you're getting at or what your intention is. Can you clarify please?
  • Nevermind said:

riverflow said:

The wisdom of emptiness and the compassion of no separation are one and the same--which is a far cry from nihilism.

The problem here seems to be that ignorance and cruelty are also empty. OOPS! :o
    Yes, thus they function.

If they weren't empty they could not be cruelty or ignorance.

One truly understands emptiness as causality and freedom from views. Intellectually it allows for a wider point of view. Experientially it opens the being so that there is room for love and compassionate action.
    person said:

I really don't agree with your point that an absolute morality that comes from God is identical to one based on human values.

Well, they say God created us in his own image. Maybe that means God's values are at least similar to ours? I would certainly expect that they would at least be somewhat similar.
    I think there are many examples of ways that an absolute morality has deviated from humanist ethics, all the instances of violence justified by religion for example.
    Lol, we both know that people don't need religion to wage war.
    edited April 2013
    edited April 2013
    taiyaki said:

Nevermind said:

taiyaki said:

Nevertheless just because its an idea, it doesn't deny its function, practicality and usefulness.
    So you agree that causality (cause & effect) is what you would call a 'projection' from us?

taiyaki said:

One truly understands emptiness as causality and freedom from views. Intellectually it allows for a wider point of view. Experientially it opens the being so that there is room for love and compassionate action.

You seemed to agree that causality or cause & effect are views, "projections" from us as you might put it. If you do agree with that then we are locked in cause & effect views. That's not freedom from views.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    Even our brightest minds sometimes have trouble with this. Stephen Hawking says the universe could have come from "nothing" but when pushed, it seems the definition of the word has been changed. Whatever is there doesn't seem to take up any space but it still cannot be considered to be nothing in my opinion.

For there to be duality, there must be something to divide. Hawking shows that the total energy in the universe could equal out to be zero but that isn't really true if we look at the big picture. He even explains it as a pile of dirt being made. Now, for there to be a pile, there must also be a hole of equal measure. Positive energy and negative energy cancelling each other out to equal zero. However, that would make the dirt "nothing"... This causes a problem because without the dirt, there can be no pile or hole.

For something to exist in space/time, I think it has to exist in at least two dimensions so there is distance of some sort but we don't even know if this space/time continuum is the only one of its kind... Whether there is one that expands then contracts or dissipates or whether there are countless numbers going off all around us.

Nothing would have no qualities whatsoever and so would lack the potential for anything to arise. We know even empty space is not nothing from particle physics and vacuum creation science. Sub atomic particles are pulled out of space itself to protect it from being a complete vacuum. Space/emptiness cannot exist without form and form cannot exist without space/emptiness.

Dawkins says that we simply cannot comprehend something from nothing and he is right. The reason though is because there is no such thing as nothing and when he says nothing what he really means is nothing that takes up space. I think potential itself should not be dismissed as nothing since no thing can predate its own potential to exist... Conditions must be met in some way or another.

It seems to me that they key to awakening within and exploring the universe open the same door ultimately.

The reason I think it is dangerous to mistake emptiness for nothingness is not only does it foster nihilism, it obscures the fundamentals and the discovery of abundance.

If Buddha wanted to say Nothingness is form and form was nothingness he would have.

Migyur
  • Nevermind said:

taiyaki said:

Nevermind said:

taiyaki said:

So you agree that causality (cause & effect) is what you would call a 'projection' from us?

Yes but its much more than a projection. Signs depend on referents and referents on signs. Saying things are a projection from us is a pedagogical tactic, not an absolute statement.
  • People only have trouble with this when they take it out of context. The Buddha's teachings on emptiness are practice instructions, not ontological positions, and are easy to understand, though difficult to hew to.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    As far as meaning and morality is concerned I think compassion is the best thing we have going for growth so it seems like common sense rather than an emotional ideal. Working together we can do so much better than if we keep warring over this one planets resources and we don't need somebody to come down from some heavenly realm to tell us this.

Meaning and purpose can come after as they could be things that are made rather than found.

It seems we are the ones we have been waiting for all this time.

Sorry for the rant, lol.
  • Nevermind said:

taiyaki said:

You seemed to agree that causality or cause & effect are views, "projections" from us as you might put it. If you do agree with that then we are locked in cause & effect views. That's not freedom from views.
    There is a distinction between experiential knowledge verse inferred, intellectual knowledge.

In Buddhism dualistic ideas are taught to get to an experience or experiential conviction. Causality in the Buddhist sense is taught as a view and deconstructed via meditative experience. Freedom from views is a meditative experience and realization. Not the absent mindedness of "no view". Dependent Origination or Buddhist causality is a view, but is also points to a no view.

Anyways I'm not sure what your intention is here? Are you trying to affirm that Buddhism denies causality? Or that I deny causality because it is merely a view?

From the point of view of an intellectual none of this makes sense. How can dependent origination as a view be freedom from views? Everyone gets form is emptiness but how can emptiness be form?

A view can liberate if used in conjunction with practice. The Buddha taught the three seals not as final insights but rather a way of seeing which brings freedom.

TLDR: Difference between intellectual understanding and experiential realization. Both feed into each other and both cannot be totally separated either.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    edited April 2013
    @Nevermind

What are you proposing in response to OP?

Is Nihilism what the Buddha pointed to in your opinion?

And is Nihilism the Buddha's emptiness?

How do we relate that with the teachings of Dependent Origination or Buddhist causality?

I'd love to hear your view and opinion rather than hear what I have to say because I already know what views I hold and practice with.

Would be really nice to hear your actual opinion.
  • fivebells said:

People only have trouble with this when they take it out of context.

This was a response to @ourself.
    edited April 2013
    fivebells said:

fivebells said:

People only have trouble with this when they take it out of context.

This was a response to @ourself.
    Thanks, I missed it because I was writing the next and it takes me a while to type.

I completely agree but what is it practice for? Discovering the truth within?

There is a thin line between in and out and it does seem to me that it is also practice for finding the truth about the universe. I don't mean the beginning because I don't think it makes sense to posit a true beginning.

The universe isn't just a place we happen to be in.

edited April 2013
    taiyaki said:

@Nevermind

What are you proposing in response to OP?

Agreement. :)
    Is Nihilism what the Buddha pointed to in your opinion?
    I'm disappointed that you could even ask a question like this. Do you know what nihilism means? Religions don't teach nihilism. :buck:
    And is Nihilism the Buddha's emptiness?
    The Buddha's emptiness? are there various kinds of emptiness?
    How do we relate that with the teachings of Dependent Origination or Buddhist causality?
    You mean to ask how does emptiness relate to causality in Buddhist doctrine? Essentially no different than any other religion. Salvation is linked to moral conduct.
    @Nevermind I've said a couple times now that a relative morality based on happiness and an absolute one based on God have many similarities. I don't agree that they are the same though, do you have anything more than we were created in God's image because that's not enough of an argument to move me off of my position.

• fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited April 2013
    ourself said:

Thanks, I missed it because I was writing the next and it takes me a while to type.

No worries, I was just clarifying because I hadn't noticed the post in between ours until after the 15 minute edit limit had expired.
    ourself said:

No, that's too reified. The Buddha advertised his method as a way to end suffering. In the suttas ontological views are evaluated in terms of their contribution to this goal by encouraging the practitioner to think and behave in a manner consistent with this goal. To the best of my knowledge there is no definitively "true" ontological position espoused there.
    riverflow
    person said:

@Nevermind I've said a couple times now that a relative morality based on happiness and an absolute one based on God have many similarities. I don't agree that they are the same though, do you have anything more than we were created in God's image because that's not enough of an argument to move me off of my position.

The only way they couldn't be the same, the same in basic origin that is, is if there were actually a God or God's with a substantially different value system. I don't believe that myself, but I suppose it's possible.
    Nevermind said:

person said:

The only way they couldn't be the same, the same in basic origin that is, is if there were actually a God or God's with a substantially different value system. I don't believe that myself, but I suppose it's possible.
    That makes some sense (I don't think I'm completely convinced that "divinely inspired" moral codes are always concerned about human happiness and flourishing) but even so the main difference I think is more in that a humanistic moral system has some flexibility to it and is able to adapt to situations where an absolute one is rigid. So I think that sense of flexibility or rigidity makes a relative system better able to handle complex situations.

I think the objection that those who hold to an absolute moral system is that they feel a relative one means anything goes. I suppose in some cases that is true but I don't think it is with Buddhism. Buddhism also incorporates a sense of wisdom of what brings true happiness and a long term outlook that looks past immediate concerns.
    riverflow
    @person, you're using the term "absolute moral system," as though it only applies to other religions but not Buddhism. What exactly does an absolute moral system mean to you? and why doesn't it apply to Buddhism as it applies to other religions?
    I'd define an absolute moral system as one that says things are good or bad based upon a divine or supernatural law that supersedes human norms, in practice it seems to be something handed down from God such as the 10 commandments.

The OP was talking about lack of meaning or morality if emptiness means nothing has an inherent existence and that there can be no right or wrong under a veil of subjectivity. I responded by saying that Buddhism has an ethical system that is based on the notion that every being wants to be happy and doesn't want to suffer. There is a right and wrong here but its not based on a set of rules that need to be followed but a principle of avoiding harm and bringing happiness that allows for an individual to use their own sense and wisdom to implement an action that would accomplish that based upon a particular situation.

Maybe another way to put it is Buddhism isn't a rules based system. It teaches us to be kind because its better than being cruel not because God says so but because it increases happiness and flourishing. So Buddhism gives us the skills and wisdom to decide for ourselves what is the moral action at a given time.
    Nevermind said:

Looking back on this now I'd say that one I don't really think there is a God. And two there doesn't have to be a substantial difference for there to be a difference. God could tell us to love our neighbors and that would agree with a humanistic moral system. But he could also tell us to kill the heathens and infidels, under an absolute rule based system handed down from above that would be moral but not agree with morals based on human happiness. That kind of religiously inspired violence has certainly occurred and continues to occur.
    riverflow
    edited April 2013
    person said:

I'd define an absolute moral system as one that says things are good or bad based upon a divine or supernatural law that supersedes human norms, in practice it seems to be something handed down from God such as the 10 commandments.

Buddhist doctrine about various realms, karma, rebirth, etc. are not supernatural or moral based?
    There is a right and wrong here but its not based on a set of rules that need to be followed but a principle of avoiding harm and bringing happiness that allows for an individual to use their own sense and wisdom to implement an action that would accomplish that based upon a particular situation.
    In the Eightfold Path there is right intention, right view, right... There is also wrong view, etc.
    Buddhism gives us the skills and wisdom to decide for ourselves what is the moral action at a given time.
    Buddhists have normal skills and wisdom. Moral actions are not decided by individuals as morality is necessarily a social phenomena. Given that, what you say would be rather alarming, if it were true.
    God could tell us to love our neighbors and that would agree with a humanistic moral system. But he could also tell us to kill the heathens and infidels, under an absolute rule based system handed down from above that would be moral but not agree with morals based on human happiness.
    It's completely human to be manipulated by leaders of all kinds, not just religious leaders. Any ideology or religion can be used to manipulate people. Buddhism is not immune, as you may know.
    edited May 2013
    fivebells said:

ourself said:

No worries, I was just clarifying because I hadn't noticed the post in between ours until after the 15 minute edit limit had expired.
    ourself said:

No, that's too reified. The Buddha advertised his method as a way to end suffering. In the suttas ontological views are evaluated in terms of their contribution to this goal by encouraging the practitioner to think and behave in a manner consistent with this goal. To the best of my knowledge there is no definitively "true" ontological position espoused there.
    The key to abundance will go a long way in ending greed and much of our suffering. Buddha may not have intended it to be an ontological position or maybe he did. He would not have called it truth either way since there was no way to test it back then and he didn't want to be taken on faith.

However, quantum mechanics is implying that it is precisely the pattern.

An eternal dance with emptiness becoming form and form becoming emptiness.

I only bring it up because the distinction between emptiness and nothingness is a fundamental point not only within but without.

Zero is just a made up concept.

Buddhism teachings that all things are dependently originated and therefore relative. Things don't have any goodness or badness, thisness or thatness in and of themselves. I think I've made my case the best I can, I'm not sure what else I can say, I haven't convinced you, you haven't convinced me, so I'm bowing out of this debate @Nevermind.

person said:

I haven't convinced you, you haven't convinced me.

There's nothing to be convinced of my friend. Let me show you...
    Things don't have any goodness or badness, thisness or thatness in and of themselves.
    Indeed this is true in all religions. Nevertheless, when we are naughty we are reborn in the hell realm, or as an arthritic dung beetle. That's just cause and effect of course, the way the universe works. It's the same in other religions. Naughtiness causes bad people to go to hell. Virtue causes good people to go to heaven. As you say, it doesn't have anything to do with "goodness or badness," as if those things existed in and of themselves. It's simply how the universe works or cause & effect.
  • Wisdom23 said:

After so much study and meditation i came to a feeling of emptyness or sunyata. A description of Nihilism fit what i was feeling bang on. Furthur thought lead me to think if there is no inherent purpose, meaning or morality no one can be right or wrong in the way of conceptual truths. I then thought that we all live under a veil of subjectivity. This seems to be leading towards non-duality.

I would like to know if anyone has experienced anything similar and how they went from here.

People tend to misunderstand Nihilism, they tend to think it means "nothing exists" or "nothing is real", which is one form it can take but is not the totality of the philosophical position.

The best translation I feel for sunyata is not emptyness but instead hollowness, phenomena exist but there is nothing at their core that is permanent, stable or possessing "self-ness". A rock has no "rockness", a tree no "treeness" and a person has, in reality, no coherent or stable personhood. Everything is flux. Energy exists, it changes form, that is all.

Nihilism, in the sense that the universe lacks any inherent existential meaning/purpose or objective moral framework is spot on. The Earth could be roasted by a massive coronal projection tonight and the universe would not notice. Cthulhu himself could devour each and every man, woman and child and the universe would not care.

The universe is non-dual of course, we each experience our own imaginary version of it, processing sensory input with our giant-monkey brains and giving certain temporary forms certain names, but in the end reality is what it is - and what it is is what it isn't, because all things are but energy in flux.

If you understand this you can understand how best to live. Your car will break down, your teeth will break and fall out, you will get sick, your family will die as will you. That's the nature of the world, and it doesn't matter. Nothing you can do will change this fact, worrying over spilt milk won't unspill it.
    So, there's no point to your existence, you will get sick and old and die. What now?

Well, you could wallow in depression, anxiety and anomie.
    Or, follow what the Buddha said and live your pointless mortal blip of a life in contentment.

End transmission.
    riverflow
    Well said, Chrysalid.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    'emptiness is no other than form'

'...and no attainment'
    'thus the bodhisattvas abide free from fear'

Everything starts, manifests its being, and then falls apart. But don't forget the first two along the way, birth and manifestation.