Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism And Science

Its always amazed me how The Buddha actually discovered a lot of things 2000 plus years before modern science. Theres a lot more videos out there and tons of books on the subject but heres something for those who are interested.

part 2

part 3

Comments

• I just think that some people might be interested in the topic. And though it's not so important in the grander scheme of things it shows how science and Buddhism can co exist. Even Albert Einstein said if ever there was a religion that comes close to being a science it would be Buddhism. Also the dalia lama said if science proves something that does not coresponds with Buddhism we should side with science. (quotes not word for word.. .i was too lazy to look them up. Do so if you feel inclined )
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    kashi said:

...Even Albert Einstein said if ever there was a religion that comes close to being a science it would be Buddhism...

But for the record, Einstein was not a Buddhist.

• I know
  • chariramacharirama Veteran
    edited May 2013
    I think Buddhism and Science share a common goal of understanding the true nature of reality.

It should not be surprising that we will find some commonalities along the way.
    kashiJohn_SpencerDakini
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    edited May 2013
    Preaching to the choir a bit, methinks.

And just as a general point, just because Einstein or HHDL said that science and Buddhism could be cool with each other, I don't see why that should make the point more valid. I think what's more important is if we agree according to our own experience.

These videos about quantum physics and all that are wayyyy over my head, so it's difficult for me to even begin to try and connect the dots (not that I really care to). It doesn't really work in my experience, so I'm not really going to make any claims. If anything, I'd personally tout the benefits of meditation.
    vinlynriverflow
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran
    edited May 2013
    I would say that Buddhism is the correct interpretation of quantum mechanics and the only one that works. Some people call it the 'Pondichery' interpretation, after the work of Sri Aurobindo and his group. It's described in detail by Ulrich Morhof who is googleable.

I understand the point about restricting science and religion to their own territory but if the dhamma is true then this has direct implications for science, so I don't think it's possible.

It is possible, and to me it seems likely, that the next major advance in physics will be recognising the elegance and usefulness of Buddhist cosmology. Before that, however, physics has to find out what it is. At this point physicists as a rule do not have the slightest idea, and are staunchly detirmined not to find out.
    person
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    vinlyn said:

There's a great deal of wisdom in Buddhism.
    There's a great deal of knowledge in science.
    Why anyone feels it necessary to combine the two, I don't know.

They are not being combined... They have been separated by fools. Why anyone would want to separate them, I don't know... If religion can't be scientific, it is a waste of time.
    The best advice I can give anyone in any religion is that famous quote: "Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and unto God the things that are God's" (modify slightly for the religion of your choice).
    Neither Caesar nor any deity owns anything that I can give them and so that quote makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever.

John_SpencerkashiFlorian
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    vinlyn said:

kashi said:

...Even Albert Einstein said if ever there was a religion that comes close to being a science it would be Buddhism...

But for the record, Einstein was not a Buddhist.

Those quotes that are going around the internet supposedly by Einstein cannot be confirmed but they are true regardless in my opinion.

edited May 2013
    kashi said:

I just think that some people might be interested in the topic. And though it's not so important in the grander scheme of things it shows how science and Buddhism can co exist. Even Albert Einstein said if ever there was a religion that comes close to being a science it would be Buddhism. Also the dalia lama said if science proves something that does not coresponds with Buddhism we should side with science. (quotes not word for word.. .i was too lazy to look them up. Do so if you feel inclined )

But it is important in the grand scheme of things if the scheme is to end suffering.

Emptiness is form and form is emptiness. That is the key to abundance and abundance will go a long way towards opening the eyes of those of us afraid of running out.

Greed, hunger and war are symptoms of the greatest disease that ever inflicted mankind. Us and "them". This disease can be cured.

Alberts quote can't be confirmed by him but I agree wholeheartedly with both H.H. Dalai Lama and whoever penned that the quotes about Buddhism attributed to Einstein.

ourself said:

The best advice I can give anyone in any religion is that famous quote: "Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and unto God the things that are God's" (modify slightly for the religion of your choice).
    Neither Caesar nor any deity owns anything that I can give them and so that quote makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever.

Perhaps you could outline for me some specific experiments that Buddha conducted using the scientific method, rather than seeing things through a vision. Because, quite clearly, you have no concept of what science really is.

• ourself said:

kashi said:

I just think that some people might be interested in the topic. And though it's not so important in the grander scheme of things it shows how science and Buddhism can co exist. Even Albert Einstein said if ever there was a religion that comes close to being a science it would be Buddhism. Also the dalia lama said if science proves something that does not coresponds with Buddhism we should side with science. (quotes not word for word.. .i was too lazy to look them up. Do so if you feel inclined )

But it is important in the grand scheme of things if the scheme is to end suffering.

Emptiness is form and form is emptiness. That is the key to abundance.

Alberts quote can't be confirmed by him but I agree wholeheartedly with both H.H. Dalai Lama and whoever penned that the quotes about Buddhism attributed to Einstein.

Emptiness is form and form is emptiness....
    This is one way buddhism is scientific!!!

also, i was not actually aware that the quotes were attributed to Einstein, I thought he actually did say such things. But the Dalai Lama did actually mention what I said a number of times on video and books.

Im in total agreement with him.
    edited May 2013
    vinlyn said:

ourself said:

Perhaps you could outline for me some specific experiments that Buddha conducted using the scientific method, rather than seeing things through a vision. Because, quite clearly, you have no concept of what science really is.

His intuition is being proven correct by science. You aren't making any sense.

I would suggest Hawking's The Grand Design except when he says "nothing" think of emptiness.

kashi said:

ourself said:

kashi said:

Emptiness is form and form is emptiness. That is the key to abundance.

Emptiness is form and form is emptiness....
    This is one way buddhism is scientific!!!
    That is exactly true. Particle physics and vacuum creation science confirms it.
    also, i was not actually aware that the quotes were attributed to Einstein, I thought he actually did say such things. But the Dalai Lama did actually mention what I said a number of times on video and books.

Im in total agreement with him.
    Me too. His book The Universe in a Single Atom sums it up quite nicely.

kashi
  • What about the fact that Buddha said all things in the universe contract and expand?
    this "vision" as you call it has been proven...2000 years AFTER buddha already explained it
    @vinlyn
    ourself said:

I would suggest Hawking's The Grand Design except when he says "nothing" think of emptiness.

No. It doesn't matter what somebody's intuition is, even if they turn out to be correct. Intuition is not science.

riverflowInvincible_summer
  • I like to think of it as enlightenment vs intuition...aka seeing things as they really are....and if science shows things as they really are, even without giving credit to the buddha, you have "seeing and showing".... pretty obvious there is a connection there
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2013
    My teacher's husband Rigdzin Shikpo (RS) is both the head of the longchenpa foundation and a (former?) physicist. She says he is trying to work out how the dharma is related to math and science I guess on his spare time. He (RS) admires the work of Roger Penrose which is similar to RSs (take on the 'matter' - pun intended). I hope he is able to investigate this as he is in a unique position. I can understand chemistry, but I am not sure how to relate it to Buddhism. I can relate a chemisT to Buddhism because a chemist is a being who wants to be happy,
    kashi
    vinlyn said:

ourself said:

No. It doesn't matter what somebody's intuition is, even if they turn out to be correct. Intuition is not science.

Again, nobody said it was. You seem to be defensive about the topic.

To put it bluntly, without intuition, there would be no science.

ourself said:

vinlyn said:

ourself said:

Again, nobody said it was. You seem to be defensive about the topic.

To put it bluntly, without intuition, there would be no science.

That I can agree with, in the sense that a person's intuition may lead him or her to approach that intuition from a scientific standpoint. But that's not what you have been saying.

And yes, as a person who is degreed in the sciences, and who taught science for years, I am defensive about science because the integrity of science must always be protected. And I'm not being a bit more defensive about the integrity of science than you are being about the all-knowingness of Buddha (and yes, I realize that is not a real word).

• SabreSabre Veteran
    edited May 2013
    These videos always make me a bit itchy. One can always easily take some religious quotes out of contexts and parallel them with science. Similar videos exist for Islam, Christianity, Atheism and other views as well. So those kind of videos mainly serve to reinforce ones faith, whatever that faith is. There are no real arguments in the video as far as I've seen, only parallels. Incorrect parallels at that. This is not a ground of faith I think the Buddha would've recommended. He always talked about observation of mind, not of particles or something. To say the Buddha discovered things science only now discovers, I think is incorrect because the Buddha's wisdom and science are totally different things. This video talks about emptiness of matter is not important because Buddhism is about emptiness of mind. There is hint the Buddha knew anything about quantum science, yet the video is full of it.. again, only drawing parallels and not proving anything.

Sure, as soon as science disproves certain Buddhist ideas, they should be discarded. But to go the other way, use science as a mean to 'prove' Buddhism does injustice to both Buddhism and science, and is not particularly useful for individual practitioners. All of this in my humble opinion.

But I guess it's all ok if we treat it skillfully and don't grasp at it.
    vinlynriverflowInvincible_summer
    And I would go a bit further, Sabre. It's really a part of the "my religion is better than your religion" syndrome.
  • edited May 2013
    vinlyn said:

And I would go a bit further, Sabre. It's really a part of the "my religion is better than your religion" syndrome.

Just make sure your not putting words in my mouth and well be fine. I don't have a "syndrome"

Kashi, I didn't mention anyone specifically. I'm talking about a general behavior that I often see.
    Invincible_summer
  • vinlyn said:

Kashi, I didn't mention anyone specifically. I'm talking about a general behavior that I often see.

Yes, @kashi - that's what I think @vinlyn meant to say.

• Thats cool. personally I don't view buddhism as just a religion to start with. But thats another topic Ill avoid here, unless i change my mind.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited May 2013
    Perhaps. But I think the discussion "my view is better than yours" can be useful. But not really with these videos, because I think they miss the point.

If I were to draw parallels between the Buddha and science, it wouldn't be the topics of these videos, but about how the Buddha was willing to challenge anyone and anything until he found his answers. Science ideally does the same. In this way, Buddhism is science of the mind. To get deeper and find out what's happening in there and why, that's what we as Buddhists should do. And not believing because somebody says it be it a scientist or a sutta, but only when we can replicate it and really belief it is it true. This was also how I was taught as a scientist, to even check the most simple assumptions in a test. In this respect science and Buddhism can teach other world views a lot.

I think many people who make videos of parallels between Buddhism and scientific topics haven't really tested or studied either of them and are just relying on texts. That's not Buddhism and that's not science as I see it.

All that aside, I'm not going to argue at all the wrong things I see in these videos as a scientist and a buddhist. I admit I just skipped through, but one thing I think deserves some attention. The 'observer' in the double slit experiment is a device, not a mind.. So again a false parallel drawn there. Quantum physics works perfectly without having to define something like a mind. And so, it doesn't, at least not in mainstream physics or I wouldn't heard about it.

To quote Heisenberg, which the video also is very willing to quote - but of course not the quote below:
    "Of course the introduction of the observer must not be misunderstood to imply that some kind of subjective features are to be brought into the description of nature. The observer has, rather, only the function of registering decisions, i.e., processes in space and time, and it does not matter whether the observer is an apparatus or a human being; but the registration, i.e., the transition from the "possible" to the "actual," is absolutely necessary here and cannot be omitted from the interpretation of quantum theory."
    So, another point why I think these videos do injustice towards both science and Buddhism.

riverflowInvincible_summerperson
    I think it's wise to remember how we react when a group -- such as some fundamentalist Christians -- tries to co-opt (as in "to take or assume for one's own use") science, such as in the concept of intelligent design. All religions of which I am aware -- Christianity, Islam, and I believe Hinduism -- have certain beliefs which are based on visions. And that's fine...as a matter of faith and religion. It is not fine in terms of science.
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    vinlyn said:

Yes, the most important Buddhist insights are psychological. Buddhism’s description of physical reality is not so brilliant. I think I remember reading how the Dalai Lama admitted that the world is round in spite of what his scriptures say. Different hells and heavens and magical notions about karma and rebirth have no thorough scientific support.

I do like the idea behind “codependent arising”; the understanding of phenomena in their context, as processes and basically denying their “inherent existence”. It sounds like a modern philosophical approach to me.

vinlynriverflowInvincible_summer
  • How about something a bit more straight forward....The Buddha said when the end of the world comes (Please, if you believe science and buddhism you know nothing is permanent so dont think im talking apocalyptic fairy tales) the earth will be burned up by 7 suns.
    Yes right now that is yet to be proven, but in 2012 a planet was discovered having 2 suns in its orbit.
    Dont you think its interesting the buddha was really the first one to say something that probably seemed so bizarre during that time in history, and now that very thing is very logically possible?

Yes Buddhism is about the mind...no doubt...but to dismiss anything scientific within buddhism when things have been proven? why not dismiss the whole thing?? he talked about the universe AND the mind.
    this is nothing new people.
    So, Kashi, how are things at Sumeru?
    Invincible_summer
  • Sumeru hospital?
    Sumeru software?
    Sumeru art of living?

All 3 are going well. Thanks for asking
    You know that I'm asking you about Buddhist cosmology and the mountain at the center of the world.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited May 2013
    kashi said:

How about something a bit more straight forward....The Buddha said when the end of the world comes (Please, if you believe science and buddhism you know nothing is permanent so dont think im talking apocalyptic fairy tales) the earth will be burned up by 7 suns.
    Yes right now that is yet to be proven, but in 2012 a planet was discovered having 2 suns in its orbit.
    Dont you think its interesting the buddha was really the first one to say something that probably seemed so bizarre during that time in history, and now that very thing is very logically possible?

Yes Buddhism is about the mind...no doubt...but to dismiss anything scientific within buddhism when things have been proven? why not dismiss the whole thing?? he talked about the universe AND the mind.
    this is nothing new people.

So is it or isn't it proven? With all respect. Don't want to come across harsh. :)

To prove solar systems can have more than one sun (I thought it was proven many years ago?) doesn't say anything about the correctness of that sutta about the seven suns burning the earth. Apparently it takes just 5 to dry up the oceans...

The only thing that could be special is the sutta talking about more than one sun. I'm not a historian, but I just think that's not something unique to Buddhism in ancient literature.

Since the Buddha apparently also said he wouldn't teach anything that didn't lead to the end of suffering makes me think suttas such as these were added later and are not part of the Buddha's teachings. Even if they were, no need to take them literal anyway.
  • Its not unique to just buddhism. Never said it was. But to turn the tables a bit without saying that "my religion is better" dont you think that it is better to have religious groups who support science, vs some christian groups (as example only ) who cringe at the word science? who want to just lop it all off as "god made everything"?
    My ex was like that, one of the reasons she broke up with me was because I converted to buddhism and started to support science.
    So....I support science!!
  • swaydamswaydam Veteran
    Its odd to hear scientists talk about separating science and religion since most scientists will accept or deny religious claims based on whether the claims are scientific or not.

When science is divorced from spirituality, you get lots of advances in technology but little advancement in other regards.

kashiperson
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2013
    Speaking of sumero my teacher has a story of when she was a nun. The dharma teacher was explaining how mt sumeru was at the center of the earth. Someone, a westerner, said 'no there is no mt sumeru'. The guru asked others for confirmation and they agreed with the first student. Then without any argument he just said "aha so it is" (or something like that). He didn't argue and wasn't attached to his belief.
    person
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran
    edited May 2013
    ourself said:

vinlyn said:

They are not being combined... They have been separated by fools. Why anyone would want to separate them, I don't know... If religion can't be scientific, it is a waste of time.

@ourself - I couldn't agree more enthusistically. 'Separated by fools'!! Brilliant. The comment 'If religion cannot be scientific it is a waste of time' represents my view also. I simply cannot understand how we could draw a line between science and religion, or why we'd want to do it. Everybody's studying the same universe.

Davidperson
  • Im not attached to my belief either. I stated the support of what the dalai lama said that if science proves something that is contrary to buddhism, we must side with science.

• Buddhists - interested in the fundamental nature of reality
    Scientists - interested in the fundamental nature of reality

Difference: one search ends suffering, the other doesn't?
    kashiInvincible_summer
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran
    edited May 2013
    Nor it seems, does HHDL, who calls Buddhism a science of mind. This was after he met Popper briefly, whose ideas he obviously knows. Science is about empiricism and rigour. So is Buddhist practice. Seeing visions is for dreamers. Seeing reality is for Buddhists and scientists.

kashiDavid
  • John...you summed up the whole thing in most direct way. Kudos
    swaydam said:

Its odd to hear scientists talk about separating science and religion since most scientists will accept or deny religious claims based on whether the claims are scientific or not.

When science is divorced from spirituality, you get lots of advances in technology but little advancement in other regards.

At university, in my geosciences/paleontology courses, based on conversations in classes and during field experiences, all of my professors believed in and taught evolution. They were also Christian church-goers.

It is certainly possible for a man to separate his religious beliefs with his scientific knowledge. There are times the two may intersect.

• FlorianFlorian Veteran
    Jeffrey said:

Speaking of sumero my teacher has a story of when she was a nun. The dharma teacher was explaining how mt sumeru was at the center of the earth. Someone, a westerner, said 'no there is no mt sumeru'. The guru asked others for confirmation and they agreed with the first student. Then without any argument he just said "aha so it is" (or something like that). He didn't argue and wasn't attached to his belief.

Perhaps he was just conceding that there are two ways of looking at it.
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran
    edited May 2013
    At university, in my geosciences/paleontology courses, based on conversations in classes and during field experiences, all of my professors believed in and taught evolution. They were also Christian church-goers.

It is certainly possible for a man to separate his religious beliefs with his scientific knowledge. There are times the two may intersect.

Ah. If we're talking about speculative religious beliefs then they must be separated from science. But if we're talking about facts then they cannot be separated. It is no use Buddhists claiming to know how the universe arose and then hiding from physicists because it's a religious view. It's supposed to be empirically detirmined and verifiable fact, one that scientists can never refute.

Those who oppose evolution are not members of any religion that I recognise, but some bowdlerised and profoundly unscientific version of Christianity. A straw man in this discussion. Only in the US is evolution a big issue, and it's all a bit odd. If you're saying that we should separate such unscientific approaches to religion from science then yes, I'd be all for it.

But really I feel that to link Buddhism, or religion more generally, to science it is better to go via metaphysics. It is easier to start by identifying the implications of a religious views for metaphysics, and then identifying the implications of the resultant metaphysics for physics. Going direct is tricky.

It is telling , I think, that science has not yet refuted or falsified even one statement made by Nagarjuna in his Fundamental Wisdom, despite their boldness and astonishing implications for theoretical physics. This suggests that he did not depend on unreliable visions but checked his facts.
    person
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited May 2013
    kashi said:

Its not unique to just buddhism. Never said it was. But to turn the tables a bit without saying that "my religion is better" dont you think that it is better to have religious groups who support science, vs some christian groups (as example only ) who cringe at the word science? who want to just lop it all off as "god made everything"?
    My ex was like that, one of the reasons she broke up with me was because I converted to buddhism and started to support science.
    So....I support science!!

Sure. I'm not saying science is bad. I'm not saying I don't support it. Heck, I have an msc. It's just that Buddhism and science work on a different level 's all.

Also @swaydam I'm not saying separate the two totally. I think there areas where they can work together and there are areas where they don't. Areas where the two might work together, like current studies on the benefit of meditation, are very promising.

But these videos are about totally different things, atoms and universes. Apart from some phrases, the Buddhist scripture's descriptions of the universe are not really in line with scientific understanding. Also, the Buddha never taught quantum physics and quantum physics doesn't need a 'mind' or 'consciousness' to work. So no need to equate the two, or draw parallels that imply too much.

Take this example to clarify: Consciousness exists. That's 100% clear to us, because we experience it. But did any scientific test ever have the capability to prove this? No. And I predict it will not happen, simply because one can't measure it.

And can your meditation prove insight into the nature of sub-atomic particles? No.

So I guess to summarize my opinion, to respect and know the boundaries of both science and Buddhism, I think is important. These videos do not represent this. If anything, they represent pseudoscience. And that can be deceiving.
    Invincible_summerJeffreyDavid
    Sabre said:

So I guess to summarize my opinion, to respect and know the boundaries of both science and Buddhism, I think is important. These videos do not represent this. If anything, they represent pseudoscience. And that can be deceiving.

Yes, and that is one of the great misdirects of mankind -- over-reach.

• FlorianFlorian Veteran
    edited May 2013
    Yes. Consciousness is the problem that may finally tip science over the edge and bring it into line with Buddhist doctrine. It was this problem that led me to Buddhism, since my investigation found it to be the only solution that works. It is not a scientific problem, however, since there is no intrasubjective method for establishing that there is such a thing.

What about nonlocality? I can see no other explanation than to suppose extension is an illusion of some kind. It's not an uncommon view in science. Indeed, one physicist calls our idea of extended time and space a 'mystical illusion'. Predictably, he misses the fact that according to mysticism it is a scientific illusion.
    kashi
  • swaydamswaydam Veteran
    edited May 2013
    vinlyn said:

swaydam said:

Its
    odd to hear scientists talk about separating science and religion since most
    scientists will accept or deny religious claims based on whether the claims are
    scientific or not.
    When science is divorced from spirituality, you get lots of
    advances in technology but little advancement in other regards.

At university, in my geosciences/paleontology courses, based on conversations in
    classes and during field experiences, all of my professors believed in and taught
    evolution. They were also Christian church-goers.It is certainly possible for a man
    to separate his religious beliefs with his scientific knowledge. There are times
    the two may intersect.
    Like a business person who is able to set aside family roles while at work, and vice versa. Yet the ideal business person and ideal family person can combine both roles when desired, thereby running a business that isn't strinctly only about money, and being able to fulfill family roles but be able to be impersonal at times and not be taken advantage of. (probably could have used a better metaphor, sorry)
    kashi
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran
    edited May 2013
    That makes sense. But it misses the fact that Buddhism may be useful to science, and vice versa, so even if a person can find a non-arbitrary way of distinguishing between them I'd suggest spending some of the time doing both.

Sorry, too many posts. It's a hobby-horse of mine.
    kashi