Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism And Science

Comments

• NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran

I am a bit annoyed that one of the communities' biggest contributors has been "jailed" but oh well...

As the Neville Brother say, there's freedom of speech, as long as you don't say too much.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

kashi said:

Hello from jail!! this thread has turned into a very educational one. I love science and buddhism so much!!!

I missed that one. What does it mean?

Nevermind said:

vinlyn said:

Nevermind said:

There is no such thing as a 'Buddhist' Truth and a 'Scientific' Truth.

Neither are actually about capital T Truth. Scientific truths are held to be tenuous or truths that may be revised with further research. Religious truths are about meaning. Religious truths don't have to be true, they only need to be meaningful.
    Although I like the way you put it, it is the perfect example of a slippery slope.

Slippery slope?
    Well, first, you're right about science. And I think even in science, truths should be small case "t". I think where some people make a mistake is thinking that the interpretation of science is infallible or complete. Science is always a journey, and rarely do we reach the end point of the journey. Sometimes we do...I think we can safely say, for example, that our solar system revolves around the sun. But when you look, for example, about the discovery of new drugs...we're always only seeing part of the "truth".

But I really don't think that there is such a thing as a religious truth or a religious Truth. If I'm going to say that someone can discover truth through a mere vision, then I am not going to say only Christ or Buddha or Mohammad has that talent. If I'm going to say that the Bible is Truth, then I will have to also say that Buddhist scriptures and the Koran are Truth. At best, "religious truths" or "religious Truths" are posits.

riverflow
    I think the way it goes is that the Truths of other religions are viewed as wrong, or they're not thought about at all.
    Nevermind said:

I think the way it goes is that the Truths of other religions are viewed as wrong, or they're not thought about at all.

Yeah, that's the way it goes, but that's hardly scientific.

vinlyn said:

Nevermind said:

It doesn't need to be true or scientific, in matters of religion it only needs to be meaningful.
    Nevermind said:

vinlyn said:

Nevermind said:

It doesn't need to be true or scientific, in matters of religion it only needs to be meaningful.
    True, but if that's how Buddhists are going to look at their "truths", then they can't claim that Buddhism is more scientific than other religions.

"You" can't just say you're scientific.

riverflow
    edited May 2013
    vinlyn said:

Nevermind said:

vinlyn said:

Nevermind said:

True, but if that's how Buddhists are going to look at their "truths", then they can't claim that Buddhism is more scientific than other religions.
    For one thing, that's not how religious people look at their Truths. And Buddhism is no more scientific than any other religion.
    "You" can't just say you're scientific.
    I don't know what that's supposed to mean. Anyone may employ the method.

Nevermind said:

For one thing, that's not how religious people look at their Truths. And Buddhism is no more scientific than any other religion.

Now we're in agreement.

• swaydamswaydam Veteran
    edited May 2013
    vinlyn said:

But I really don't think that there is such a thing as a religious truth or a religious Truth. If I'm going to say that someone can discover truth through a mere vision, then I am not going to say only Christ or Buddha or Mohammad has that talent. If I'm going to say that the Bible is Truth, then I will have to also say that Buddhist scriptures and the Koran are Truth. At best, "religious truths" or "religious Truths" are posits.

Did the Buddha have a mere vision? Or was it more than a vision that he had? Do others have the ability to have the same or similar experiences? Maybe, maybe not. Do all the religions contain Truth? Maybe, maybe not? The scientific attitude isn't that complicated. Its mainly about not pretending to know what you don't know.
    swaydam said:

vinlyn said:

Did the Buddha have a mere vision? Or did he have a profound insight into the nature of reality?
    1. We'll never know, but since his profound insights were not completely correct, it's all in question.

2. It doesn't matter, at least in terms of this discussion, which is about science and Buddhism. Even profound insights are not scientific discovery.

riverflow
    swaydam said:

vinlyn said:

Did the Buddha have a mere vision? Or did he have a profound insight into the nature of reality?
    And what about Mohammad, was he a visionary or a prophet and messenger of God?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    vinlyn said:

2. It doesn't matter, at least in terms of this discussion, which is about science and Buddhism. Even profound insights are not scientific discovery.

Agreed.
    Let's stick to topic, thanks.
    edited May 2013
    vinlyn said:

The scientific method could be applied to profound insights. A profound insight could be the beginning of a hypothesis that could be further studied scientifically, depending on the insight of course.

An insight like no-self, for instance, couldn't be studied scientifically because there's no way to test immaterial things.
    swaydamperson
  • swaydamswaydam Veteran
    edited May 2013
    1. We'll never know, but since his profound insights were not completely correct, it's all in question.

Maybe we will never know. Maybe his insights were not completely correct. My knowledge of Buddhism and my knowledge of the nature of reality are very incomplete.

I would have said it this way:
    "I doubt we will ever know, but since his profound insights don't seem to be in agreement with current scientific understanding, it's all in question.

It matters what the source of the Buddhas knowledge/wisdom was, because that could give us an idea of whether its accurate or not. You say profound insight isn't scientific discovery. First of all, "profound insight" isn't well defined, so its something to investigate rather than make assumptions about. Secondly, I don't think we know whether the Buddhas methods of obtaining his insights were scientific or not. I think you may be using a definition for science which restricts it to material investigation, peer reviews, etc. As long as we have different definitions of the word 'science' we are bound to have conflicting views.
    swaydam said:

I would have said it this way:
    "I doubt we will ever know, but since his profound insights don't seem to be in agreement with current scientific understanding, it's all in question.

If you know of any scientific investigations into the Buddhas profound insights please post them, otherwise it would be apparent that the Buddha's profound insights are not in agreement or disagreement with current scientific understanding.
    "profound insight" isn't well defined, so its something to investigate rather than make assumptions about.
    Anattā is well defined.
    Secondly, I don't think we know whether the Buddhas methods of obtaining his insights were scientific or not.
    We know with certainty that they were not.
    I think you may be using a definition for science which restricts it to material investigation, peer reviews, etc. As long as we have different definitions of the word 'science' we are bound to have conflicting views.
    The scientific method is well defined.
    Nevermind said:

vinlyn said:

The scientific method could be applied to profound insights. A profound insight could be the beginning of a hypothesis that could be further studied scientifically, depending on the insight of course.

An insight like no-self, for instance, couldn't be studied scientifically because there's no way to test immaterial things.
    You are correct. Could be the beginning of a hypotheses that could be studied further. But there is no evidence that I am aware of that Buddha took that approach. Hence, it's not science.

And yes, I think I agree that immaterial things can't be tested. Hence, that's not science either. ALthough, isn't the study of psychiatry about immaterial things...and that is a science?

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    vinlyn said:

And yes, I think I agree that immaterial things can't be tested. Hence, that's not science either. ALthough, isn't the study of psychiatry about immaterial things...and that is a science?

This dude seems to think Science and Buddhism could communicate on many levels....
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited May 2013
    fivebells said:

Sabre said:

No, it doesn't. Saying things happen by chance is just that, saying things happen by chance. It is not saying that there is something you don't know that is unknowable. Again, there is no mystery here. Probability is a very simple thing without any magic to it.

In every other application of probability theory that I am aware of, probability distributions represent ignorance (the not-knowing kind, not the I-don't-want-to-know kind.) Why do we say a coin has a 50% chance of landing heads-up? Because we don't know the precise conditions in which it's thrown. If we do, then we can give a more precise distribution. (See fig. 2, p. 67.) In other words, in every other application probability distributions are subjective in the sense that their precision reflects the information used to calculate them. More information leads to more precise distributions.

It's only in the Copenhagen interpretation of QM that probability distributions are seen as having some kind of independent ontological reality, i.e., that the ignorance is swept under the rug as inherently unknowable. (The ignorance implied by the imprecision in the distributions predicted by QM, that is.)
    Sabre said:

But what does this still have to do with Buddhism.. I don't know. So I'll leave it at this for now.

Totally agree, but somehow, I can't put this down. Judging from the thoughts which proceed my coming over here to check for a response, I am showing off and compensating for a deep sense of inadequacy to the job of becoming a valued member of society. It is shameful, and I should go meditate.
    Well that's the point. In everyday life probability describes the outcome of a process, like rolling a dice. In QM, probability is the process. In the usual interpretation there is no need to automatically assume a deeper mechanism, because the model and the maths works so beautifully with probability as the mechanism. That's not ignorance. We could also search for a mechanism behind gravity, but at a certain point it just stops getting deeper because it appears it is just the way nature is - masses attract each other, end of story. Not that I don't support looking deeper, but I think one should also keep in mind that there may not necessarily be any deeper explanation.

What could we as Buddhists learn from this? In the suttas we also see the Buddha saying some questions are inappropriate. Who am I? What will I be? Those questions are incorrect because they assume something that is not there. To wonder "what is the mechanism behind QM probability?" for now seems to be a similar question. And as I said before, I think that is beautiful because it makes us accept we don't understand nature by intellect. We just accept her as she behaves. Getting to know Dhamma is similar to me. At a certain point questions end and answers don't exist.
    riverflowperson
    vinlyn said:

Psychiatry is the medical specialty devoted to the study, diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of mental disorders. Apparently it's more akin to religion, in being a belief system, than to science.
    federica said:

vinlyn said:

This dude seems to think Science and Buddhism could communicate on many levels....
    Good communication includes the ability to listen and possessing an open-mind.
  • I think this discussion might benefit from a look at the etymology of the word science:

"c.1300, "knowledge (of something) acquired by study," also "a particular branch of knowledge," from Old French science, from Latin scientia "knowledge," from sciens (genitive scientis), present participle of scire "to know," probably originally "to separate one thing from another, to distinguish," related to scindere "to cut, divide," from PIE root *skei- (cf. Greek skhizein "to split, rend, cleave," Gothic skaidan, Old English sceadan "to divide, separate;" see shed (v.)).

I think, at least on this basis, you can say Shakyamuni was 'scientific'.

Then there is a nice quote:

"Science, since people must do it, is a socially embedded activity. It progresses by hunch, vision, and intuition. Much of its change through time does not record a closer approach to absolute truth, but the alteration of cultural contexts that influence it so strongly. Facts are not pure and unsullied bits of information; culture also influences what we see and how we see it. Theories, moreover, are not inexorable inductions from facts. The most creative theories are often imaginative visions imposed upon facts; the source of imagination is also strongly cultural. [Stephen Jay Gould, introduction to "The Mismeasure of Man," 1981]"
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran
    Sorry Vinyl and Nevermind but I can't agree (yet). Religious truths do not change, no kind of truth ever changes. This is why it's called a truth. If it can change then it is not a truth. And Buddhist 'visions' are no different to scientific observations. In both cases they acqaint us with empirical facts. Yes, we can misinterpret our observations, and we can confuse deceptive visions with facts, and that's why we must be scientific and continually check our facts and our interpretations. The Buddha did not rely on visions. A vision requires a vision and a seer of the vision. This is two things, which is one too many for a direct knowledge of truth.

I can imagine a scientist in the Matrix arguing that his/her observations are facts. In reality they are naive and false visions, while Neo's insights into reality are empirical, more profound and more true.

The suggestion seems to be that Buddhists can never be certain that the theories they form from the visions they have are actually true. But this is to make a mockery of Buddhism.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the point being made. The idea that religious truths don't have to be true seems just plain daft to me. If a truth is not true it is not a truth, and I'm not even sure I can distinguish between a scientific and a religious truth, or why anyone would bother.

• FlorianFlorian Veteran
    vinlyn said:

Oh. I didn't know this. Which bits did he get wrong?

How can an incorrect insight be called an insight? I would call it a failure to have an insight.

Florian said:

vinlyn said:

How can an incorrect insight be called an insight? I would call it a failure to have an insight.

I'm going to give you an unsatisfactory answer. I can't remember what I read back in the 1980s that led me to that conclusion, although I do remember thinking that it was all sort of nebulous and not able to be substantiated.

But something that I have read more recently that I really think helps explain this aspect of Buddha's teaching is at: http://www.westernbuddhistreview.com/vol4/was_the_buddha_omniscient.html

edited May 2013
    Florian said:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the point being made. The idea that religious truths don't have to be true seems just plain daft to me. If a truth is not true it is not a truth, and I'm not even sure I can distinguish between a scientific and a religious truth, or why anyone would bother.

Vinlyn addressed this succinctly by pointing out how different religions have different Truths. For example, according to Hinduism there is ātman and according to Buddhism there is anātman. How can both be true? Why doesn't it matter?

Stories don't need to be true to be meaningful.
    I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I was bringing to question the whole concept of "religious truths" because I don't feel any religion has the right to claim they own the truth.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited May 2013
    Sabre said:

That's not ignorance. We could also search for a mechanism behind gravity, but at a certain point it just stops getting deeper because it appears it is just the way nature is - masses attract each other, end of story. Not that I don't support looking deeper, but I think one should also keep in mind that there may not necessarily be any deeper explanation.

You mean like how Einstein investigated it more deeply and developed the General Theory of Relativity? If he had only shared your attitude, we might not be burdened with this knowledge today. :)

But I agree with you that there may not be any deeper explanation, I just think it's inaccurate to pretend that we know there's none, which is what the Copenhagen interpretation does.
    Sabre said:

Those questions are incorrect because they assume something that is not there. To wonder "what is the mechanism behind QM probability?" for now seems to be a similar question.

This analogy is highly ironic, because the role of appropriate attention is to foster greater awareness of the causes and conditions of the current moment of karma so that karma can evolve more skillfully in future, and eventually cease. "What conditions caused this particle to pass through the diffraction slit at that angle?" is a perfectly appropriate question. "The angles follow this probability wave distribution" is an answer, but to pretend we know it's the complete answer is ignorance on roughly the same scale as "I'm angry about half the time, and it's just the way I'm wired."
  • Florian said:

vinlyn said:

I find myself agreeing with @Florian.

If it's an insight into the nature of reality it's just that. It's true.

Same with scientific insights into the nature of reality.

If it's an insight - it's true. That's what defines insight.

I have more faith that the Buddha saw things truly than I do any scientist (controversial?)

I have more faith that the Buddha saw things truly than I do any scientist (controversial?)

Ah, but note your word -- faith, rather than fact. Which is okay.

If it's an insight - it's true.

Why? or true in what sense?
  • vinlyn said:

Ah, but note your word -- faith, rather than fact. Which is okay.

Yup. That's why I chose it. :)
  • Nevermind said:

Insight literally means "to see into something".

If you see into something you see the truth in that 'thing'.

Realising that 2+2 = 4 is insight into the nature of reality.

True in that sense.

Insight in that sense.

Nevermind said:

True in that sense.

Insight in that sense.

Are you suggesting that it's impossible to make mathematical errors? :wow:
  • John_SpencerJohn_Spencer Veteran
    edited May 2013
    Nevermind said:

Nevermind said:

True in that sense.

Insight in that sense.

No, sure you can still make mathematical errors (ie believe that 2+2 = 5) but it wouldn't be seeing the truth and so couldn't be called 'insight'.

edited May 2013

Nevermind said:

Nevermind said:

True in that sense.

Insight in that sense.

No, sure you can still make mathematical errors (ie believe that 2+2 = 5) but it wouldn't be seeing the truth and so couldn't be called 'insight'.
    You're basically saying that insights are true until proven otherwise. (anyone might not know they've made a mistake)
    edited May 2013
    Nevermind said:

You're basically saying that insights are true until proven otherwise. (anyone might not know they've made a mistake)

No - I'm saying an insight into the nature of reality can never be proven other than true.
    Alright, prove atman true.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited May 2013
    fivebells said:

Sabre said:

That's not ignorance. We could also search for a mechanism behind gravity, but at a certain point it just stops getting deeper because it appears it is just the way nature is - masses attract each other, end of story. Not that I don't support looking deeper, but I think one should also keep in mind that there may not necessarily be any deeper explanation.

You mean like how Einstein investigated it more deeply and developed the General Theory of Relativity? If he had only shared your attitude, we might not be burdened with this knowledge today. :)

But I agree with you that there may not be any deeper explanation, I just think it's inaccurate to pretend that we know there's none, which is what the Copenhagen interpretation does.
    Sabre said:

Those questions are incorrect because they assume something that is not there. To wonder "what is the mechanism behind QM probability?" for now seems to be a similar question.

This analogy is highly ironic, because the role of appropriate attention is to foster greater awareness of the causes and conditions of the current moment of karma so that karma can evolve more skillfully in future, and eventually cease. "What conditions aused this particle to pass through the diffraction slit at that angle?" is a perfectly appropriate question. "The angles follow this probability wave distribution" is an answer, but to pretend we know it's the complete answer is ignorance on roughly the same scale as "I'm angry about half the time, and it's just the way I'm wired."
    I was never taught general relativity because it was unimportant for my profession, therefore I forgot about it. Thanks for correcting me there. But the point was the analogy. I could draw the same analogy with general relativity as the mechanic. For now there seems to be nothing deeper there, if I'm correct.

It's not about not knowing there is some deeper mechanic, it's about not needing one. For now there are no experiments that need the explanation of a deeper mechanic. If it's complete as is, then it is complete as is. You may think that's inaccurate and that's fine, I applaud that view. But that's something else than calling it arrogant. A scientific point of view is not about having an attitude like that. I don't say things must be this and that way, that's exactly what I argued against before. I'm open for a deeper mechanic, but if there is no need for it, I won't automatically assume it. Call it ignorant if you wish, but it aint.

Your question may be 'inappropriate', if there is no condition that causes the particle to land at a certain location. But in terms of science it's a fine question. That's where the analogy loses it strength I agree, but analogies only go so far. I think you drew it between things that I didn't intend to.

At some point in science perhaps there will never be any answers for deeper mechanics. It can't keep going forever with a mechanic behind a mechanic. For now that mechanic seems to be chance, however hard to accept for some, but perhaps that mechanic is something else and then what? Then we don't understand the why of that. So at the very least people have to accept that we don't understand the why behind everything. And we just have to accept. Like the Dhamma. That was the main analogy. I think that's where science and Buddhism can also learn from each other.
  • Nevermind said:

I can't. It's not.

Nevermind said:

I can't. It's not.
    How do you prove it false?
  • You can't.

Insight can't 'prove' itself to someone else.

Someone else has to develop insight.

You can't.

Person A's insight is atman.

Person B's insight is anatman.

Both are meaningful. Neither must to be true.
    John_Spencer
    edited May 2013
    Nevermind said:

You can't.

Person A's insight is atman.

Person B's insight is anatman.

Beautiful - Nagarjuna himself never put it better.

pegembara
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited May 2013
    @Sabre, I think we agree on the points I care about.

Just want to note, though: GR came straight from Einstein's head. There were no experimental results motivating its development, and there was no experimental support until roughly a decade after he'd published it, and then only because people were specifically looking to test his theory. An inquisitive attitude matters for these kinds of developments. If he'd just said, "Well, the world just prefers inertial motion, that's just the way it is. How wonderful the universe is, how wonderful that I can't know these things about it!" it might have taken much longer for GR to be developed.

It was probably a pretty miserable form of samsara for him, though.
    Sabre
    edited May 2013
    fivebells said:

@Sabre, I think we agree on the points I care about.

Just want to note, though: GR came straight from Einstein's head. There were no experimental results motivating its development, and there was no experimental support until roughly a decade after he'd published it. An inquisitive attitude matters for these kinds of developments. If he'd just said, "Well, the world just prefers inertial motion, that's just the way it is. How wonderful the universe is, how wonderful that I can't know these things about it!" it might have taken much longer for GR to be developed.

It was probably a pretty miserable form of samsara for him, though.

Yeh - ALL of Einstein's stuff came straight from his head.

Then he went and investigated it.

(It can't work the other way round).

• @John_Spencer: Actually, his work on the photo-electric effect, which introduced the notion of quantized energy states and for which he won the Nobel prize, was addressing a paradox in experimental results. The same for his work on Brownian motion. Even his work on special relativity was motivated by the results from the Michelson-Morley experiment.
  • fivebells said:

@John_Spencer: Actually, his work on the photo-electric effect, which introduced the notion of quantized energy states and for which he won the Nobel prize, was addressing a paradox in experimental results. The same for his work on Brownian motion. Even his work on special relativity was motivated by the results from the Michelson-Morley experiment.

What I was trying to say was that the paradox he addressed was in his head. That's where the paradox starts not 'out there' in reality.

Everything starts with mind.

pegembara
  • Nevermind said:

You can't.

Person A's insight is atman. [Existence]

Person B's insight is anatman. [Non-existence]

But Anatta is not non-existence.

"By & large, Kaccayana, this world is supported by (takes as its object) a polarity, that of existence & non-existence. But when one sees the origination of the world as it actually is with right discernment, 'non-existence' with reference to the world does not occur to one. When one sees the cessation of the world as it actually is with right discernment, 'existence' with reference to the world does not occur to one.

[What I was trying to say was that the paradox he addressed was in his head. That's where the paradox starts not 'out there' in reality.

Everything starts with mind.]

"'Everything exists': That is one extreme. 'Everything doesn't exist': That is a second extreme. Avoiding these two extremes, the Tathagata teaches the Dhamma via the middle: From ignorance as a requisite condition come fabrications."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn12/sn12.015.than.html
    riverflow
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran
    Nevermind said:

Florian said:

Vinlyn addressed this succinctly by pointing out how different religions have different Truths. For example, according to Hinduism there is ātman and according to Buddhism there is anātman. How can both be true? Why doesn't it matter?

Stories don't need to be true to be meaningful.
    Wow. I had no idea Buddhism was held in such low regard by Buddhists.

Of course, not all religious doctrines are true. When they are not true they are not truths. A religious truth is called this becasue it is true. If it is not true then why would anyone call it a truth? I really struggle with the idea that there are truths that are not true.

What seems to be being said here is that Buddhist doctrine is not true, but it's meaningful. I would happily argue against this pernicious idea all day an night, and am amazed to hear it being said here. Why would anyone want to practice if not to discover truth?

But at least this explains how it is posible to argue for a division betwen science and Buddhism. If the method leads to a false doctrine then science must reject it. First. however. there is the task of showing that it is not true. Difficult when Nagarjuna proves it is true.

It is certainly no good just stating that it is not true. I'm sorry to be so hard-nosed about this @vinyl, but to say that the Buddha's 'visions' were incorrect and then not to be able to justify this with examples is just about as unscientific an approach to the issues as I can imagine.

This is weirdest discussion I've seen on this wonderful forum.