Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

This one is for dhammachick

edited May 2013 in Arts & Writings
The Medicine Buddha mantra.
I chanted this as well as Om Mani Padme Hum every day when my mom was in the hospital, she was in the ICU for a week and we didn't know if she was going to live. Shes alive and well. Im not going to say I believe in magic or something, but I did put all my focus and love into chanting this and now Im a firm believer in it. And, its been proven medically that your mind set affects your body and health. As for my mom, I chanted this for her, so it was my energy that was the main factor (docs and nurses help is a given)
Anyway, try it out if you want. Its a beautiful mantra if nothing else.
Metta to you, and all beings.

lobsterkarastiBeejDaftChrisLucy_Begood

Comments

• carolanncarolann Explorer
    I could do with some mantra suggestions right now , my mum is in hospital tonight after scans showing shadows and nodules in her lungs x
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    I found when my mom was in the hospital that meditation helped a lot to ground the vertigo of even considering losing someone. I wanted to do something positive. I will wish the merit of my meditation tomorrow to NB members in need. It's all I can do.
    Also to be honest I chain smoked, but I didn't drink.
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    This honestly has to be my favorite mantra.
    Kundo
  • carolann said:

I could do with some mantra suggestions right now , my mum is in hospital tonight after scans showing shadows and nodules in her lungs x

Ill chant some for her.

carolannJohn_Spencer
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited May 2013
    Thank you @kashi - that is very kind of you.

This is without a doubt my favourite mantra. I haven't been chanting it as often as I like, so this is a timely cosmic slap :)

In metta,
    Raven
    kashi
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    Forgive my typos - it's part of the illness. My coordination is a bit "off
  • No need for sorry. We all do that
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Lovely thread, @kashi.

Thanks.
  • @federica it's not often I seem to get on your good side so I'm happy it happened today. Its such a nice mantra isn't it? :)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    It's a wonderful one, and it also, I am convinced, 'worked' for both my parents when my father broke his back, and my mother contracted shingles (due to excessive stress) as a result....

I flew over to Italy to see them and stay with them for a month... to support, help out, be company to my mum... and i could see how debilitating the whole situation was to her. She was my father's carer, and he had several other conditions which needed attention.... so the whole situation was desperately stressful.

After one particularly stressful and difficult day, I sat up in bed that night, and chanted six Tara mantras, and six Blue Medicine Buddha mantras, over and over, one 'group' after the other, until I must have fallen asleep....

In the morning, my mother had definitely turned a corner, and felt better.
    My father was more chipper, and a few days later, was able to sit up for the first time in 4 months.

And I practise Theravada...... :D

If something works - don't knock it.

Mantras are how Buddhists 'pray'.

Never, ever under-estimate the power of prayer.

:)
    lobstercarolannKundo