Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I'm going to a talk by the Dalai Lama!

This Friday afternoon in New Orleans. I can't believe it! I'm so excited!

I never thought I would be able to see the Dalai Lama, and feel like this is a once in a lifetime opportunity for me. Both events have been sold out for months but I was able to get a ticket for cheap through someone I met at the dharma center I've been going to.

I was going to mention something earlier but wanted to make sure everything went through but I was able to get my ticket today. It still seems unreal! And I think it's great that he's coming to this area, a place so desperately in need of healing.

After the talk, a procession of monks will carry a sand mandala down Convention Center Boulevard to be released into the Mississippi River. How cool is that?
lobsterriverflowkarastiKundoInvincible_summerJohn_SpencerCinorjerJoyfulGirlVastmindkarmabluesMaryAnne

Comments

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    Awesome. I have seen the effects of sand mandalas, it was used to turn a maximum security courthouse used for the IRA, into a sanctified dharma centre.

Have a great time.
    The Dalia Lama is an emanation of Chenrezig
    http://www.chenrezigpuja.org/

OM MANI PEME HUM HRIH
  • Thanks, I'm reading through the web page right now.

I had just heard of Chenrezig earlier today. According to NOLA.com, the Dalai Lama is a reincarnation of the "Buddhist God Chenrezig". To their credit, I'm surprised they didn't say reincarnation of Buddha, but I wanted to ask you: was Chenrezig a Buddha?

I always thought the Dalai Lama was a reincarnation (or emanation I guess one should say) of the Buddha of Compassion. Then someone else told me that he was the reincarnation of the Bodhisattva of Compassion!

Is Chenrezig considered a Buddha? I'm still very new to all this!
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Chenrezig is Avalokiteshevra or Kuan Yin and is a Bodhisattva.
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

In Lamaism, Tantric, Shingon Buddhism etc, the Teacher is considered an emanation of enlightening being. A bit like the Catholic Priest during mass representing Christ at the last supper during mass. This will explain how some of the scandals you hear occur.

This is why we expect such high standards from our parents, teachers but most importantly our spiritual elders.

Fortunately the emanation of the Logos is pure and Absolute.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logos_(Christianity)

So too is Chenresig. You can pray to either the Dalai Lama or Chenresig and your purity is the key to benefit, connection and attunement.

This is not the way in Theravadin or Zen but an enlightened, attained, developed teacher is very important.

The idea of an incarnate Absolute principle is very strange to many of us. However the Chenrezig practice/sadhana is very powerful at purifying or attuning our mind stream to Buddhahood.

You are going to see a living Buddha. How cool is that?
    Kundo
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    LOL
    I see Raven is already here . . .
    My hour of chanting to Chenresig is dedicated to those unifying inner and outer teachers.
    Go Rivercane. Go Raven. Go Frederica. Go Dalai. Go Tara.

http://yinyana.tumblr.com/post/32936018897/migtsema
    Lobster Gone.
  • Jeffrey said:

I think that's what had me confused. I'm familiar with Quan Yin, and thought she was the Bodhisattva of Compassion. Then I heard the name Avalokiteshevra.

Is this considered the same emanation, just with a different name in some countries? I know that a deity may be male in one part of the world and considered female in another.

Would Chenrezig be considered a combination of the two?

• lobster said:

You are going to see a living Buddha. How cool is that?

Are you sure?

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    Are you sure?
    I am certain.
    However that does not mean the Dalai Lama is anything more than a 'humble monk' as he describes himself.

Bodhisattvas are beyond gender. They may appear in different forms. Like the Dalai Lama they are points of veneration, just like my Ipad.

:clap:
    TheEccentric
  • lobster said:

Are you sure?
    I am certain.
    However that does not mean the Dalai Lama is anything more than a 'humble monk' as he describes himself.

Fair enough.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited May 2013
    rivercane said:

Jeffrey said:

I think that's what had me confused. I'm familiar with Quan Yin, and thought she was the Bodhisattva of Compassion. Then I heard the name Avalokiteshevra.

Is this considered the same emanation, just with a different name in some countries? I know that a deity may be male in one part of the world and considered female in another.

Would Chenrezig be considered a combination of the two?

This is a really interesting question. Some scholars think that the Bodhisattva of Compassion was originally female (hence: Kwan Yin), but morphed into a male form in the more patriarchal Buddhist traditions of TIbet and, I guess, India, becoming Chenrezig. Whatever the case, they're both considered to be the same deity, or principle.

P.S. OP, could you post about the talk after it's over? That would be great. :thumbsup:

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    It's amazing, isn't it? We have the largest US population of Tibetans in MN so he visits here pretty regularly on his tours (not every time though, except for his stop at Mayo for his checkup!) and it never gets old. I did not go last time he was here, but my son went with my sister. He said the echo was so bad it was hard to hear well but that you don't need to hear to know what is being said.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited May 2013
    rivercane said:

After the chanting, the mayor of the city gave a short, somewhat awkward speech where he tried his best to say something wise and spiritual. It was kind of amusing, but at least he tried. After awhile, he gave up and introduced the Dalai Lama.

lol!
    rivercane said:

Everyone rose to their feet and His Holiness bowed to us and with a nonchalant wave of his hand, motioned for us to sit back down, as though he wasn't that important. He then began to speak and the first thing I noticed is that it appears HH may be working too hard. It did seem that he was somewhat tired and I wonder if his schedule isn't too demanding. He seemed to falter somewhat at first when first speaking but was still relaxed and casual and quickly began to warm up. I also found that it is much easier to understand the Dalai Lama on video than in person and was unable to make out some of the things he said.

He is, indeed, working too hard. His schedule has been too demanding for many years, yet he insists, in spite of the recommendations of his doctors, on going on lots of speaking tours. Also, he's old. He's in his 70's. He just can't keep up the pace of his youth. But he feels that his role as a lama is to give teachings, so he does.

My experience, having attended the first lecture he gave in the US (he used to be prohibited by Congress from entering the US, back before the US recognized the PRC as the official China, and kicked Taiwan to the curb, so to speak), is that the DL is at his best when he speaks in Tibetan and uses an interpreter. Though his English has improved over the years, so at least he's more spontaneous in English than he used to be.

What a fascinating talk! Very different from most of his lectures. Thanks for sharing.

• MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    @rivercane Thank you SO much for describing your experiences seeing the DL in person. I hope to be so fortunate some day....
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    This may sound bizarre, but I began to feel a kind of other worldly effect, as though I were under the influence of a drug. I don't know how to describe it except the vibrations of the chanting seemed to entrain my brain waves. I felt high and kind of lost in reverie. At one point, everything began to take on a wavy kind of appearance. I also experienced this later while the Dalai Lama was talking.
    Perfectly normal. The Dalai Lama is a benign intoxicant.
    I am glad you have made this connection. It will inspire and protect your practice.
    http://m.wikihow.com/Practice-Tibetan-Buddhism

You can inhale . . . fully . . . :clap:
    Invincible_summerVastmindkarmablues