Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Grounding

As we all know, serpents/nagas/kundalini factors can lead to wisdom or its crazy shadow.
How do you remain grounded? I have known developed meditators who must medicate and druggies who must have their daily meditates.

Karasti mentioned barefoot walking meditation. Good plan. I avoid any tendency to fast or avoid sleep. This is the straight down the Middle Way. My sister feels twitter drove her doolally. We have to know ourselves. Know the signs.

Personally I find yoga and daily meditation is a base, an essential ground.

Om mani PEME hum

Comments

• ZeroZero Veteran
    'Ground' with every breath.
    Though the phrase doesn't resonate well with me - I have all too often observed it abused to compensate for self-harm / self-doubt / fantasy.
    lobsterInvincible_summer
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    It's not a practise of mine but I do know folks who adopt the earth witness meditation posture when grounding becomes difficult.

I think all meditation is a grounding practise.
    If an additional need for grounding arises, it's just a teacher showing me that somewhere I'm insulating myself from something.
    It's a notice of warning telling me to search out whatever that may be and to more directly address my attachment to it.
    Invincible_summer
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    I think all meditation is a grounding practise.
    Eventually. Agreed.

Meditation can in the early years, induce or exasperate psychosis. Some tantric practices are little more than controlled and in some cases uncontrolled insanity. That is incidentally why Tantra is a led practice - open practices are fine too initially - I only do open practices . . . which these days includes a lot of crazy stuff . . . ;)

Sex is grounding. Yet some would restrict its Buddhist use to rinpoches and nuns . . . Too much unsupervised meditation can lead to emotive and other arisings that require unravelling in a meditative and grounding environment. Depressed or mentally ill people should not use meditation as an alternative but as a a complimentary and eventually transcending option . . . How many crazies are in the sangha? . . . don't think every sangha member is able to help you, some can barely help themselves . . . and they are . . . How many crazies are talking here . . talking to reflective aspects of themselves? [lobster raises a claw hand] . . .

There are fortunately individuals practicing both psychiatry and dharma, Sufi psychology and others aware of the dangers of 'spiritual psychosis'.

Unusual mind states are unnatural. Always remember that, the genuine is very natural.

Meditation is not for fluffy bunnies, hoping for a quick fix to their latest dharma drama. The word practice has more to do with 'commitment'. If you don't commit to it, you might be committed - then you can practice grounding . . .

So knowing work, exercise, loving sex, regular food, diet and sleep, can keep us balanced and centred in the Middle Way is important. Stay sane guys. We are all on a long walk . . . together . . .

Think I will chant for our well being for a while . . . :clap:

OM YA HA HUM
    Have a Nice Day. Be kind to the Fish.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    Just fall. Its okay, there is no ground anyways.
    lobsterriverflow
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    Just came across this old ground from one of my old sites
    The 4 Noble Truths of Gardening :)
    http://web.archive.org/web/20031025042128/http://pages.britishlibrary.net/lobster/buddha/garden.htm
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    @lobster
    That should have been prefaced with a visual alert.

whether Dharmic or not, that coloring was pretty much like night blindness for me.
    riverflow
  • how said:

@lobster
    That should have been prefaced with a visual alert.

whether Dharmic or not, that coloring was pretty much like night blindness for me.

Virus alert.
  • Nek777Nek777 Explorer
    lobster said:

Sex is grounding. Yet some would restrict its Buddhist use to rinpoches and nuns . . . Too much unsupervised meditation can lead to emotive and other arisings that require unravelling in a meditative and grounding environment. Depressed or mentally ill people should not use meditation as an alternative but as a a complimentary and eventually transcending option . . . How many crazies are in the sangha? . . . don't think every sangha member is able to help you, some can barely help themselves . . . and they are . . . How many crazies are talking here . . talking to reflective aspects of themselves? [lobster raises a claw hand] . . .

Very nicely said ...

My wife keeps me grounded - she will tell me "That sounds crazy" and I have to think, "Is it?"

My dog definitely keeps me grounded - if I am up past bedtime the pooch will come, find me and herd me towards the bedroom.

Of course, the baby is very grounding - the other day, the main topic of conversation and concern was the baby being constipated - little guy must have been greatly suffering and that friends is a very earthy concern. (Luckily, Grandmom's remedy worked!)