Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

what's your most important thing?

genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
My take:

Important and unimportant are not the important part.
Theswingisyellow

Comments

• TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    Simply to see and not believe my stories.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2013
    @genkaku
    Ever held your breath before?
    See if your ideal matches the actual
    5 minutes down the road.
    Ficus_religiosaVastmind
  • zenmystezenmyste Veteran
    edited June 2013
    My most important thing is my 'mind'

Seen as i believe 'everything' stems from within my mind I try to nurture it as best as possible!

Just as i would nurture my garden, my mind is a garden of thoughts!

What i THiNK , i become!!!
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    I don't think it matters so much what we think is important or unimportant. What we feel important or unimportant is probably not so much under our control.
  • Obtaining wisdom in this lifetime.
  • Nevermind said:

I don't think it matters so much what we think is important or unimportant. What we feel important or unimportant is probably not so much under our control.

A feeling could be a false emotion

To feel something 'usually' requires the heart, and that can be misleading!

To 'think' is pure mind!!!
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    zenmyste said:

Nevermind said:

A feeling could be a false emotion

To feel something 'usually' requires the heart, and that can be misleading!

To 'think' is pure mind!!!
    A feeling can well be inappropriate to the circumstances of course, if that's what you mean, but this only underscores the point that such things are not under our control.
  • SilouanSilouan Veteran
    edited June 2013
    Me, Myself, & I.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited June 2013
    It's impossible to pick one thing and label that "the most important", but I go with food.

I know it sounds very unspiritual, but without that there is also no reasonable possibility to cultivate the mind. Even a Buddha would die without food. It's the most basic thing all living beings need to survive. And it saddens me to know people on this earth are still dying from hunger while there is enough capacity to feed everyone.
    zenmyste
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Totally depends on the context.
    Overall, discovering what is already there. To realize that I don't need to seek to know, that I already know, somewhere.
    Right this minute, putting my feet up. It was a crazy, crazy day and my foot is sore after twisting it last night walking in the dark. It needs some rest and some ice.
    Last night, laying in the wet grass and watching an amazing northern lights show overhead and just taking in all the sights and sounds around me. Nothing feels like more like being an actual part of the universe than lying under the stars.
    In the morning, making sure that what my grandma needs done, gets done.
    What's important evolves on a regular basis.
    riverflowlobster
  • At the moment: more consistent mindfulness. Whatever comes from that is bound to be beneficial (and not just for "me").
  • To get my priorities right.
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    to live my life, by being in here and now - not able to do it till now, but still trying to do it.
    riverflow
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    The Buddha dharma is the most important thing. :)
    rivercane
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    Your answers are my most important thing . . . :clap: - now if only I can remember what the question is . . .

@genkaku, when you say 'thing', do you mean quality/attribute/focus?
    . . . or are you thinking of something else?

If something else
    I would say 'my thing' is always something else, neti-neti or 'not alighting' or putting it another way, alighting with a thud . . .
    :wave:
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited June 2013
    zenmyste said:

My most important thing is my 'mind'

Seen as i believe 'everything' stems from within my mind I try to nurture it as best as possible!

Just as i would nurture my garden, my mind is a garden of thoughts!

What i THiNK , i become!!!

"I used to think the most beautiful thing about a person was their mind. And then I thought-- Look what's telling me that!!"
    --Emo Phillips

The most important thing to me is healing. We need to wake up.
    lobsterriverflow
  • betaboybetaboy Veteran
    They say you cannot know the importance of good health until you lose it. I would also add metta to this - this isnt something I lost. this is something I never had ... and desperately need.
    lobster
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Confidence in the deep sanity and intelligence of the mind.
    lobster
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    To me, my most important thing is my honor. It sounds funny I know, but I take great lengths to maintain it. To be a shining example of humanity and all that. To defend those that cannot defend themselves, and to be a voice of reason. And yes, I would rather die than have my honor taken from me. I almost have.
    lobster
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran
    To be ready for death.

lobsterkarmablues
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    betaboy said:

They say you cannot know the importance of good health until you lose it. I would also add metta to this - this isnt something I lost. this is something I never had ... and desperately need.

The more metta practice and generation, the more it arrives. Promise. I will send some your way, I am kinda selfish that way . . . I ask others to join me . . . in this case you can not have too much of a great thing. Metta Orgy! ;)