Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What Makes You ( Not ) A Buddhist...

I may be talking to myself here...it is known. " I'm talking to myself here, its causing great concern for my health " 'The Mind Of Love ' kd lang..

But every so often I feel the need to take down from the shelf Dzongsar Khyense Rinpoche's modern masterpiece.
The most important book concerning Dharma in English since 'Cutting Through ' in my opinion...
The title might make it sound negative..I don't think it is. It is a masterful introduction to the Four Dharma Seals...
The authors concern is to address certain misperceptions that have crept into western Buddhist views of Buddhadharma.
A thorough reading of the book in its entirety is strongly recommended..but a brief precis would take the form of four questions.

Can you accept the fact that ALL phenomena are impermanent ? That all compounded things arise and must pass away ?
Can you accept the fact that ALL emotion is pain ? That even in pleasure there is at a deeper, level pain ?
Can you accept that fact that there is no abiding self to be found ?
Can you accept the fact that Enlightenment is beyond all conceptual frameworks and all intellectual understanding ?

If you can answer yes to all four questions then Buddhadharma is making an impact on you.
If you cannot then you are invited to reflect a little more on what the great Buddhist teachers are imparting..

:)

_/\_
FullCircleInvincible_summer

Comments

• zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    Imho, there are two sides to Buddhism. There is understanding the concepts intellectually and then there is actually applying those concepts to your life.

I'm still somewhere in between...
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    I think there IS a stage in between..its moving beyond understanding the concepts with our discursive mind and allowing insight to arise. That is the beginning of prajna. Its both a cause and a result of practice on the cushion.
    zombiegirl
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    So unless your facts are accepted you don't consider anyone a Buddhist?
    Jainarayan
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Nevermind said:

So unless your facts are accepted you don't consider anyone a Buddhist?

That's sorta the way I read the OP, but I decided to wait and see how the thread developed. Perhaps that's not what Citta actually meant.

• CittaCitta Veteran
    Citta was quoting Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche more or less verbatim. You are free to accept his view. You are free to reject it. :) Personally I do accept it.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I'm not sure I agree with the wording of all emotion being pain. I understand where the question is going, but emotional pain itself is still an emotion. All emotion is unsatisfactory works better (imo) because the word pain has so much emotion attached to it already. I don't have a problem with any of the points. I am farther along in understanding some points better than others but they all fall in line with the teaching my teacher does, for the most part. I wouldn't go so far as to say someone who has a problem with/doesn't agree with one or more of the points is not a Buddhist or not a good or right or correct Buddhist. That's no different than saying a Catholic who doesn't believe gay=sin isn't a Christian.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited July 2013
    I dont think it is karasti. These are the Four Dharma Seals.
    They are central to Buddhadharma.
    They are ;
    Anicca
    Anatta
    Dukkha and
    Imponderable nature of Nirvana.

So it is more like saying that anyone who does not believe in the Incarnation is not a Catholic...

Or to put it another way to say that

Anicca is untrue because there is something compounded that does not change, or
    Anatta is untrue because there is a soul. or
    Dukkha is untrue because there are experiences not characterised by a degree of pain or
    Nirvana can be understood by the discursive mind, can each readily be shown to differ from Buddhist teachings.
    personmaarten
    To be frank, it's absurd to suggest that Buddhism can't make an impact without answering yes to those questions. Extreme perspectives of this kind may suggest a grasping mindset, and perhaps the only impact worthwhile might be towards an less grasping mindset.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited July 2013
    Thank you for your view. I think I will however continue instead to give creedence to the views of Dzongscar Khyentse Rinpoche, which are actually mainstream Vajrayana.
    But I will be most grateful if anyone can point me to a refutation of his view, if that refutation comes from a Vajrayana or any other mainstream Buddhist source.
    In other words an accepted Buddhist source that refutes
    Anatta
    Anicca
    Dukkha ( not withstanding different translations )
    And states that Niravana CAN be understood by the discursive mind.
    Over to you.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    Citta said:

Thank you for your view. I think I will however continue instead to give creedence to the views of Dzongscar Khyentse Rinpoche, which are actually mainstream Vajrayana.
    But I will be most grateful if anyone can point me to a refutation of his view, if that refutation comes from a Vajrayana or any other mainstream Buddhist source.

Why post on a Buddhist forum if there is no knowledge to be gained from those who haven't written a mainstream Buddhist book? Personally, I think there is a lot of wisdom to be gained from the members on this forum, perhaps just in books that have yet to be written...
    karasti
    Citta said:

Citta was quoting Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche more or less verbatim. You are free to accept his view. You are free to reject it. :) Personally I do accept it.

Okay, I reject it. Krasti and Nevermind state my objections well...no need to repeat.

• CittaCitta Veteran
    If anyone can refute that the central premise of Buddhadharma is Anicca/Anatta/Dukkha from their own knowledge I would be most interested.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited July 2013
    vinlyn said:

Citta said:

Okay, I reject it. Krasti and Nevermind state my objections well...no need to repeat.

Thats OK too. My first sentence was ' I may be talking to myself here '..I meant it.

_/\_
    Citta said:

If anyone can refute that the central premise of Buddhadharma is Anicca/Anatta/Dukkha from their own knowledge I would be most interested.

Although I agree with others that you might be a little too black and white here, I don't object to your original questions, so I will leave it to some of those who have chosen to disagree to provide insight if they would like.

My point was simply that although I agree with your points intellectually and can say "yes" quite easily, that doesn't mean that I don't sometimes backslide with my instinct. I don't think the intellectual aspects are the hardest part of Buddhism. Although, in your second point (That all emotion is pain) I admit I interpreted that as not so much "pain" (like others have objected to) but more as impermanence.
    Invincible_summer
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited July 2013
    Impermanence is Anicca.

I feel honour bound to point out again that these are not 'my' ideas.
    They are from a book well received in Buddhist circles called
    ' What Makes You (Not ) A Buddhist ' by the Buddhist teacher and filmmaker Dzongscar Khyentse Rinpoche.
    I was reminding myself of the purport of the book and thought others might be interested.

Thats all.

:)
    edited July 2013
    I know impermanence is anicca, but that wasn't the wording in your original post. I just realized I missed your post in the middle where you responded to that. Sorry.

Whether it's from a book or your own mind isn't relevant to me. I don't care if it's "well received" or not. Please don't take offense to this as none is meant, but Mein Kampf was also well received at one point. The point is, to just quote something and cite a title on an author (titles which may not mean anything to your audience) is not very meaningful. It's like when people tell me being gay is wrong because it's in the Bible, which is also quite "well received". I just... don't care. I hope this doesn't sound combative, I really don't mean it that way... just a note on your pitch, I suppose.
    vinlynSillyPutty
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    So you would prefer that I did not quote from books by well-known teachers ? You do not think that they are a suitable subject for discussion...?

OK.
    edited July 2013
    Citta said:

So you would prefer that I did not quote from books by well-known teachers ? You do not think that they are a suitable subject for discussion...?

OK.

That's not what I meant. What I mean is, you can't just respond to questions/concerns with, "Hey, I read it in this book by _____ and many people agree that it's right." That is how I perceived several of your comments, including the last one. It seemed to me like a cop out on discussion. I might be wrong, so I apologize if so. I just felt like you were placing too much importance on the who/what said it rather than the content. Does that make sense?
    vinlynSillyPutty
    @Citta I know Christians who don't believe Jesus was born of a virgin birth and other core parts of what most consider to be Christianity. It still doesn't mean they aren't Christian. Not everyone who is just starting out in Buddhism is far along enough in the study to have gotten to the four seals, or to be able to fully grasp them. It takes time. A beginner Buddhist who is still trying to grasp what suffering means to them is likely to not have come across the four seals, but it doesn't make them not Buddhist. It might make them not an advanced Buddhist, or not a Buddhist novice. But it doesn't make them not a Buddhist.
    Jeffrey
  • All except the last one, I don't accept that anything that a human can experience is beyond intellectual understanding. In my experience, when people say something cannot be explained it's because they haven't experienced it to be able to explain it.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited July 2013
    @karasti thank you for your views on Dzongscar Rinpoche's views.

_/\_
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited July 2013

Citta said:

OK.

That's not what I meant. What I mean is, you can't just respond to questions/concerns with, "Hey, I read it in this book by _____ and many people agree that it's right." That is how I perceived several of your comments, including the last one. It seemed to me like a cop out on discussion. I might be wrong, so I apologize if so. I just felt like you were placing too much importance on the who/what said it rather than the content. Does that make sense?
    Well I have a problem @zombiegirl..you see I don't think my subjective views on matters of doctrine are at all important.
    I have clear views on a range of social and artistic and political matters and express them freely..I have done so on this very forum.
    But I have no views on matters of doctrine. I sit at the feet of my teachers. Which does not imply that I think others should. But I am a Dzogchen student . Which revolves entirely around the student/teacher relationship
    On reflection, as pointing to the words of my teachers is all I have to offer on doctrinal matters, and as that clearly does not meet the expectations of the forum community I shall have to think carefully about any future involvement. Believe me the last thing I want is to gatecrash a forum where I am unable to contribute in a way that is acceptable.

with Metta

_/\_
    Chaz
    Citta, can you explain what Dzongscar Rinpoche means by the suggestion that Buddhism can't have an impact without saying yes to those questions? Perhaps we need to read the book ourselves ... or we need to be enlightened? Indeed, how can anyone answer the last question without being enlightened? or is the suggestion that Buddhism is only effectual to those who can say yes without knowing, feeling, or experiencing yes. Buddhism is effectual only to yes-men and yes-women?
    SillyPuttyJeffrey
  • SillyPuttySillyPutty Veteran
    edited July 2013
    Citta said:

Thats OK too. My first sentence was ' I may be talking to myself here '..I meant it.

_/\_

No, not passive-aggressive at all.

(I'm going to make sure to sign off with loving kindness as to counteract my provocative reply.)

With Metta,

Namaste,

With Metta-like Namaste,

Namaste squarred,

_/\_

Invincible_summerwrathfuldeity
  • Citta said:

Well I have a problem @zombiegirl..you see I don't think my subjective views on matters of doctrine are at all important.
    I have clear views on a range of social and artistic and political matters and express them freely..I have done so on this very forum.
    But I have no views on matters of doctrine. I sit at the feet of my teachers. Which does not imply that I think others should. But I am a Dzogchen student . Which revolves entirely around the student/teacher relationship

I'm not intending this as being a smart aleck, but isn't "sitting at the feet of your teachers" just another view on doctrine? It naturally frames your own understanding of it.

All you can do is articulate your own experience--with the assistance of a teacher. And there is nothing wrong with that either. No one can give you anything-- it comes out of your own real-ization, no one else. It is all we can do. Agreeing (or disagreeing on doctrines is ultimately beside the point. The problem lies in hanging on those views in some sort of final expression of the matter-- a problem we all get stuck on all too often.
    Invincible_summer
  • riverflowriverflow Veteran
    edited July 2013
    To address the OP
    Citta said:

Can you accept the fact that ALL phenomena are impermanent ? That all compounded things arise and must pass away ?
    Can you accept the fact that ALL emotion is pain ? That even in pleasure there is at a deeper, level pain ?
    Can you accept that fact that there is no abiding self to be found ?
    Can you accept the fact that Enlightenment is beyond all conceptual frameworks and all intellectual understanding ?

In all fairness, the thread title comes from the book title (which the author-- or publishing company-- used to catch the prospective reader's attention). In the OP itself however, @Citta , you wisely say this: "If you can answer yes to all four questions then Buddhadharma is making an impact on you. If you cannot then you are invited to reflect a little more on what the great Buddhist teachers are imparting." I don't think anyone (including myself!) should think what you intend as a matter of "what makes a REAL Buddhist."

The word "accept" seems (to me) to make this more a matter of belief. But, to be charitable in understanding your intentions (rather than getting stuck on MY assumption) I think perhaps you mean "accept" in the more existential sense, an acceptance that comes from practice, not merely assent to a intellectual proposition.

I say this because yesterday at the monastery, I heard the phrase (more than once) about "practicing" non-self. "Practicing" not "believing." Certainly there has to be some degree of trust in Buddhist doctrines. But it ultimately comes down to practicing doctrines, not believing them. One doesn't believe the usefulness of a hammer or screwdriver-- one must USE the hammer or screwdriver to truly realize how it may benefit someone (priovided of course, that one uses the tool properly!). Belief, at best, can only serve a provisional purpose to be replaced by actual existential real-ization. Perhaps that sense of the word lies behind the word "accept"? If so, I can relate more to that myself.

And so if I do understand that correctly, then I can answer these questions in a partial affirmative. I have had some insight on occasion and, if comparing where I found myself at even a year ago, then, yes-- to a limited degree.

As long as we are taking steps in a direction that brings some small measure of wisdom and compassion...
    Vastmind
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited July 2013
    Agreeing with all the points would certainly make you a Tibetan Buddhist. The "all emotions are pain" in particular would get a snort or two from many Buddhist Teachers.

As for Enlightenment being "beyond conceptual framework"? I'd say rather that Enlightenment is nothing special but most Buddhists confuse that statement as meaning Enlightenment is not rare and precious.
    Invincible_summer
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    I think its important to remind ourselves of what distinguishes and characterizes Buddhist teachings from other doctrines, and alternatively the 3 seals or 4 seals if you include the last, are the defining characteristics of Buddhism. Today we have access to all sorts of beliefs and religions. Not that we can't benefit from learning about them or that we will only relieve our suffering by strict adherence to Buddhadharma, but we should also be clear about whether what we are following is indeed Buddhist thought. Buddhism has been passed down with thought and consideration and experience of the effectiveness of its teachings, we're allowed to stray and pick and choose, I'm of the opinion that its important to be aware of the path one walks on.
    JeffreyCitta
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited July 2013
    I like the comparison with Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism. Trungpa was trying to point out how we can adopt Buddhism as just another lifestyle a new set of clothes instead of really taking the teachings to heart.

What makes one a Buddhist imo isn't about what we call ourselves its about whether we follow the Buddhist teaching or not. We don't have to be a Buddhist or follow the teachings strictly to gain benefit but if you follow a belief that is opposed to the 4 seals of Buddhism you're not really following the Dharma and as per my definition earlier you would not really be a full fledged Buddhist.

[nerd metaphor]You can call yourself a trekkie and like watching the shows but if you go to a convention and tell everyone 'May the force be with you', how much of a trekkie are you really?[/nerd metaphor]

Edit: I should also say that its not that one has to have perfect view and have taken all these things totally to heart but that one should at least understand and be trying to do so.
    Citta
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    Cinorjer said:

Agreeing with all the points would certainly make you a Tibetan Buddhist. The "all emotions are pain" in particular would get a snort or two from many Buddhist Teachers.

Which ones?
    Why should it matter to any of us what another person who identifies as Buddhist, believes about the core of Buddhist teachings? Shouldn't we only be worried about our own beliefs in the teachings instead of trying to define who else is a proper Buddhist? I think it is fine to pose the questions and for one to think about how they honestly feel. But I don't think it's terribly appropriate to say someone else is not a Buddhist, regardless of how you feel. "Oh, you don't know the 4 seals, or aren't sure how you feel about them? NO BUDDHISM FOR YOU!" It's a practice, and a lifelong search. Everyone gets there at a different pace and from a different direction. Isn't it enough work to practice in our own lives than to bother putting together argument for why others aren't doing it right?
    Very good post, Karasti!

Or let's say a noted Theravadan teacher were to say, "If you don't agree with Theravadan teachings, then you are not a real Buddhist."

In many aspects of life, I respect self-selection.
    Jainarayan
  • GlowGlow Veteran
    Chaz said:

Cinorjer said:

Which ones?
    Anyone who has read the Dighanaka Sutta:
    "There are these three kinds of feeling: a pleasant feeling, a painful feeling, and neither-pleasant-nor-painful feeling. On the occasion when one feels a pleasant feeling, one does not feel either a painful feeling or a neither-pleasant-nor-painful feeling. One feels only a pleasant feeling on that occasion. On the occasion when one feels a painful feeling, one does not feel either a pleasant feeling or a neither-pleasant-nor-painful feeling. One feels only a painful feeling on that occasion. On the occasion when one feels a neither-pleasant-nor-painful feeling, one does not feel either a pleasant feeling or a painful feeling. One feels only a neither-pleasant-nor-painful feeling on that occasion.

• CittaCitta Veteran
    edited July 2013
    Clearly Dzongscar Rinpoche was not using a Sutric model @Glow...But if we transpose what he was saying to such a model then he was not referring to vedana ( feelings in general ) he was referring to the cycle of saarajati and byaapjjati I would suggest.
    Bhikkhu Bodhi says
    " The word vedana does not signal ' emotion' " ( which is what the Rinpoche is talking about ) " but the bare affective quality of an experience ".
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited July 2013
    Chrysalid said:

All except the last one, I don't accept that anything that a human can experience is beyond intellectual understanding. In my experience, when people say something cannot be explained it's because they haven't experienced it to be able to explain it.

What the Buddha says in words attributed to him in the Majjhima Nikaya in a conversation between he and one Vaccha, when the latter has asked him if the Tathagata arises after death is;
    ' Arises does not apply. Does not arise does not apply.' And why does he say this ?
    'Because....( Nirvana ) is deep,
    difficult, subtle, and BEYOND DIALECTICS '

Which I would suggest is what the Rinpoche is saying in his 4th point.

_/\_
    riverflowGlow
    Citta said:

Citta said:

OK.

On reflection, as pointing to the words of my teachers is all I have to offer on doctrinal matters, and as that clearly does not meet the expectations of the forum community I shall have to think carefully about any future involvement. Believe me the last thing I want is to gatecrash a forum where I am unable to contribute in a way that is acceptable.

with Metta

_/\_
    Thank you for clarifying, Citta. That does explain a lot.
    Different strokes for different folks, I suppose. :) I hope you have a good teacher.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    My ' root guru ' ( The teacher one first takes Vajrayana teachings from ) was the late Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche, @zombiegirl. My current teacher is Chogyal Namkhai Norbu...

May a thousand flowers bloom and find the sun...

_/\_

Well there's one place we can find some common ground. I found a lot of insight in "The Myth of Freedom" :)
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    Me too. Try ' Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism' by the same author.. :)
    zombiegirl
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran
    @Citta - I can agree with the view you've expressed. It seems to me that to answer 'no' to any of your four questions would mean rejecting the teachings, regardless of the school to which we belong or endorse.

However, I'm not sure that it is possible to be so cut and dried about any intellectual understanding of enlightenment being impossible. At the limit, yes. At the limit there would be no understander present to understand anything, as the Upanishads stress. But in important ways I suspect it can be understood. For example, it is beyond the dialectic, yes, but it is possible to understand how it can be beyond the dialectic.

Still, except for this quibble I would agree that if we answer no to any of your four questions we have not yet accepted the teachings in full.

I cannot see why this is about the Vajrayana in particular. AFAIK these four questions would have the same answer in all traditions. They seem to be the basic building blocks of the entire doctrine.

I would probably disagree that we must accept these four answers in order to be called a Buddhist. I accept them, (with the aformentioned proviso) but even so would not call myself a Buddhist. This is because my practice is not sufficiently commited or serious. Just accepting some intellectual ideas does not a Buddhist make, which is a pity since that's the easy bit. I would be as likely to call myself a Taoist, Sufi or advaitan. In my interpretation they would all give the same answer to your questions.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited July 2013
    There is certainly imo a deeper question to be asked about the 'ist' part of BuddhIST...I think that may be a western construct. To address your last point first.

It is not clear to me how something can be 'beyond the dialectic but that we can still understand ' how it is beyond the dialectic '...Surely in the reported words of Shakyamuni he is saying that at that point concepts, and the verbal formulae that frame those concepts, trail off into silence..?
    You see I don't think that it takes a lofty and subtle idea like Nirvana to illustrate the limits of thought and language. I don't think words and concepts can even capture the essence of our reaction when we stand in front of a great work of art..for example. Or listen to Beethoven's late quartets..for example ( please supply you own musical example :) ).
    riverflow
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran
    Not a fan of the late quartets but I know what you mean. Prefer Haydn quartets myself.

I expect we're just using 'understand' differently. It is not too difficult to understand that reality extends beyond the duality of opposites. But it is difficult to understand what this really means by just thinking about it, and impossible in a full sense. Still, I grasped that reality must outrun dialectic logic before I knew anything about Buddhism. So did Kant and Hegel.

It is really not too difficult to see that something can be beyond the dialectic or 'beyond the coincidence of contradictories', and even understand to some extent how this is possible. Logic allows us to see the limits of logic, and nonduality can be understood as a logical principle even without any direct experience to bring it to life. George Spencer Brown recounts how he discovered this principle while working on electrical switching circuits for the railways. Of course, it took him many more years to turn this into a realisation and thus into something that might be called an understanding in a full sense.

• CittaCitta Veteran
    Alongside intention intention intention a suitable trio might be realisation realisation realisation in the most literal sense. It seems to me that Buddhadharma isn't merely to be understood..but to be realised, to be made real in the world via us.
    riverflow
  • Chaz said:

Cinorjer said:

Which ones?
    Oh, just about any Zen Buddhist will be told to treat emotions similar to thoughts. In fact the two are interconnected, in that certain thoughts trigger certain emotions. You are not your thoughts and you are not your emotions. There are wholesome, healthy emotions and unwholesome, unhealthy emotions. Just like there are healthy thoughts and unhealthy thoughts. By meditation you learn to deal with thoughts and emotions as a small part of what you are.

Buddhas are not emotionless robots. Any human being, unless their brains are diseased or damaged, has emotions. Saying "emotions are pain" is like saying "life is suffering". It's not at all useful or what the Buddha taught.

In order for you to feel joy, you must be able to feel sadness. Eliminate the emotion of grief from your mind and you will be unable to feel compassion also.

That's the Zen Buddhist "mind only" take on emotions.
    MaryAnneriverflow
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    This is what Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche says from a Dzogchen perspective...

' All emotions are pain, all of them ! Because all emotions depend for their existence on duality.
    They all arise from the sense of subject/object. Our original mind has no such duality. We have feelings and emotions and we do not suppress or deny them..we do not need to.
    We rest in our original mind. Our emotions are then from that perspective a sparkling display of pain and pleasure.'
    riverflowChazpersonGlow
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    See, I understand the principle behind all pleasure holding the potential for pain but I think it is a mindset brought on by duality. As soon as we take on a point of reference, we have good and bad or up and down. We see there is an up and so we look down. We can see the good and so we automatically create the bad.

Beyond this duality however, lies a simple joy that couldn't possibly have an opposite because this joy is born of being free of the notion of any true opposite.

Sure in the Sukha Sutta and other places it specifically says feelings are deceitful but then what about the smiling face of Maha-Kashapa? He found it all pretty funny when he received the mind-stamp of Buddha...

It always comes down to that fine line again. Once it is seen, it's hard to take sides.

JMO
    riverflow
  • Good and bad, pain and pleasure aren't opposites, but rather the whole.
    riverflow
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    Cinorjer said:

Chaz said:

Cinorjer said:

Which ones?
    Oh, just about any Zen Buddhist will be told to treat emotions similar to thoughts.

That doesn't answer my question. In fact, I'd consider you're response to be evasive.

I'd like to know, specificlly, what teachers you are refering to here ......
    would get a snort or two from many Buddhist Teachers
    I would also like specific citations of other teachers the offering "a snort or two" over the teaching Dzongsar Khyense Rinpoche offers in his book.

If other reputable teachers are teaching against DKR's offering, I want to know who they are and what they're saying about it.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    I think the reason they snort is because it could seem as if happiness is a bad thing.

Taken in that context, it does seem a bit funny, no?
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    Who snorts ?

I think it unlikely that any Zen teacher would snort at the suggestion that emotions whether 'positive' or ' negative ' have their origin in subject/object duality.
    As they themselves teach the same.

This discussion has been closed.