Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Why do we crave stimulation?

I can understand people craving for material things - tv, gadgets, etc. - they have tangible benefits, plus it gives some people a sense of accomplishment. But why do we love stimulation so much? What's the reason - in terms of evolution (is it a survival mechanism?) or in Buddhism (perpetuation of consciousness)?

Animals and insects can do without it. What is it about humans that makes us desire constant stimulation (and not merely material things)?

Comments

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    @betaboy
    We are the inertia of a lie that we are inherently separate from everything else.
    Our identity is the responding support structure for this lie. Dependent Origination will lay out the manner or the reason why stimulation arises and how this cycle keeps perpetuating itself.
    It will also show where these cycles can be unravelled as well.
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    It's fun . . . but addictive . . .

It is partly an evolutionary impact and development of childrens play, which is about exploration and hence being open to new potential survival niches . . .
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited July 2013
    We crave stimulation because it makes us feel alive. Without any sense input we are as if dead. That is why all beings doesn't like being imprisoned, not just people. The untrained mind creates its own stimulus in the form of hallucinations. http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/10/donald-o-hebb-effects-extreme-isolation

"I remember one occasion waking up and having to squeeze my face and my chest and thinking to myself 'Am I still alive?'" http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/7199769.stm
    "Monks, the All is aflame. What All is aflame? The eye is aflame. Forms are aflame. Consciousness at the eye is aflame. Contact at the eye is aflame. And whatever there is that arises in dependence on contact at the eye — experienced as pleasure, pain or neither-pleasure-nor-pain — that too is aflame. Aflame with what? Aflame with the fire of passion, the fire of aversion, the fire of delusion. Aflame, I tell you, with birth, aging & death, with sorrows, lamentations, pains, distresses, & despairs.

"The ear is aflame. Sounds are aflame...

"The nose is aflame. Aromas are aflame...

"The tongue is aflame. Flavors are aflame...

"The body is aflame. Tactile sensations are aflame...

"The intellect is aflame.
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn35/sn35.028.than.html
    Jeffrey
  • we don't desire constant stimulation...it waxes and wanes

spend some time in a sensory deprivation/flotation tank and it might change your thoughts/perspective about evolution, consciousness, and ideas of stimulation.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Dependent origination:

With Sense Gates as condition, Contact arises
    With Contact as condition, Feeling arises
    With Feeling as condition, Craving arises
    With Craving as condition, Clinging arises

Ajahn Sucitto states:

However, taṇnhā, meaning "thirst," is not a chosen kind of desire, it's a reflex. It's the desire to pull something in and feed on it, the desire that's never satisfied because it just shifts from one sense base to another, from one emotional need to the next, from one sense of achievement to another goal. It's the desire that comes from a black hole of need, however small and manageable that need is. The Buddha said that regardless of its specific topics, this thirst relates to three channels: sense-craving (kāmataṇhā); craving to be something, to unite with an experience (bhavataṇhā); and craving to be nothing, or to dissociate from an experience (vibhavataṇhā).

Walpola Rahula states:

It is this "thirst", desire, greed, craving, manifesting itself in various ways, that gives rise to all forms of suffering and the continuity of beings. But it should not be taken as the first cause, for there is no first cause possible as, according to Buddhism, everything is relative and inter-dependent. Even this "thirst", taṇhā, which is considered as the cause or origin of dukkha, depends for its arising (samudaya) on something else, which is sensation (vedanā), and sensation arises depending on contact (phassa), and so on and so forth goes on the circle which is known as Conditioned Genesis (Paṭicca-samuppāda)... So taṇhā, "thirst", is not the first or the only cause of the arising of dukkha. But it is the most palpable and immediate cause, the "principal thing" and the "all-pervading thing". Hence in certain places of the original Pali texts themselves the definition of samudaya or the origin of dukkha includes other defilements and impurities (kilesā, sāsavā dhammā), in addition to taṇhā "thirst" which is always given the first place. Within the necessarily limited space of our discussion, it will be sufficient if we remember that this "thirst" has as its centre the false idea of self arising out of ignorance.
    karmablues
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Some people seem to crave/desire stimulation more than others. They cannot tolerate being alone with themselves or just being in silence. They go absolutely stir crazy. When I was visiting my sister, her city had some bad storms and they lost power for several days. My sister and her girlfriend were fine, the other roommate was going crazy with nothing to stimulate her. She could not just sit and enjoy just being wherever she was. She had to have something to do, and in her case it was all electronic-based and when it was taken away to her there was nothing else. People don't like to be alone with themselves, it scares them.

But, you can consider almost anything a form of stimulation. Some things are forms that distract us from anything going on inside of us, our emotions, our fears, and so on. Other things are simply things that our senses pick up because that is what the human body does. Some of it is just how we function biologically, it's how we learn about the world around us and make decisions with regards to that world. But in many cases we seek stimulation to escape parts of ourselves we are incapable of or too afraid of dealing with.
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    betaboy said:

I can understand people craving for material things
    But why do we love stimulation so much?
    What's the reason - in terms of evolution (is it a survival mechanism?) or in Buddhism (perpetuation of consciousness)?
    Animals and insects can do without it. What is it about humans that makes us desire constant stimulation (and not merely material things)?

In a sense the material things too are a source of stimulation.
    We naturally detect and react to stimulation within the natural order of things.
    I doubt there is a single reason or if there is, it would be faceted far beyond what might be considered reasonable causality in the human context.
    I'm not sure it stands that animals and insects do not react to stimulation, rather the opposite is held for them to be classified alive.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Many, many animals need stimulation. Stimulation activates the neurons in our brains, it is how our brain makes connections which allows us to learn and understand things. That is why at zoos, animals always have different play things and partners and such, because they need that stimulation. I'm sure that other animals need it too, it's just not as obvious to us. Birds need the stimulation of being pushed out of the nest to learn to fly, for example. Bears play A LOT. They play with each other, and their cubs, and so on. Play is a normal part of their day (for many animals) and it's all part of stimulation. If beings sat stagnant it would be much harder for those connections to be made in the brain.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    When I find myself with a craving for stimulation, it's because there is something going that I do not want to face or accept. Stimulation is the immediate lay over payment plan for anyone not willing to pay for their dhukka right up front.
    pegembara
  • betaboy said:

I'm not sure that's true, if you've ever had a pet cat or dog you'll know they seek out attention from their owners and become bored and restless if they're deprived of interaction.
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited July 2013
    Our brain is designed for interaction and for overcoming difficulties. Solitary confinement is a form of torture. Maybe living in Paradise is torture too.

Anyways we crave for using our brain; the whole complex of experiencing anything at all, feeling the emotions that come with it and being puzzled about things. I suppose this craving is part of evolution. We need keep the brain in shape and for that we need to use it on a regular basis.

In meditation we use our brain in various ways; which makes it not such a torture to many of us.
    Part of it is that we zoom in, we become more sensitive. We experience very small things but they make a bigger impression. Maybe an important part is the fixed posture of meditation. I suppose it is the cause of endorphin production in the brain.
    When we meditate we are not "above" craving for stimulation. We train our brain to find the stimulation very nearby.
    Cinorjer
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    Henry David Thoreau wrote, "Most men lead lives of quiet dissatisfaction ....|
    We all have this inner angst, this restless dissatisfaction. And keeping busy drowns out the "noise" of our dissatisfaction.
    This is why meditation is so hard .. we no longer distract ourselves from ourselves, but instead turn and face it.
    And this is why meditation is so effective in solving the dilemma of how to be happy with life.
    pegembara
  • wrathfuldeitywrathfuldeity Veteran
    edited July 2013
    craving stimulation...is the craving to reach the boundary of the self...

one is defined by boundary...what one can feel, think, imagine, dream, etc...

beyond the boundary is "no self"

by diving in to the self...one becomes boundless

by diving in to everything else...one dances among the jewels

dancing among the jewels...one dances upon the dead with wild abandonment
  • edit...should read

craving stimulation...is the craving to reach the boundary of the self...

one is defined by boundary...what one can feel, think, imagine, dream, etc...

beyond the boundary is "no self"

diving in to the self...one becomes boundless

diving in to the boundlessness...one dances among the jewels

dancing among the jewels...one dances upon the dead with wild abandonment

Jeffrey
  • footiamfootiam Veteran
    betaboy said:

I can understand people craving for material things - tv, gadgets, etc. - they have tangible benefits, plus it gives some people a sense of accomplishment. But why do we love stimulation so much? What's the reason - in terms of evolution (is it a survival mechanism?) or in Buddhism (perpetuation of consciousness)?

That could be due to our highly developed sense organs. Animals and insects do not have a big brain like us and have thus, not such a big ego which need to be stimulated and satisfied.