Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I'm "seeing" things while meditating?

Woah93Woah93 Veteran
edited July 2013 in Meditation
It reminds me of the stuff I used to see when nearly falling asleep. Geometric patterns start moving gently across my vision and at other times it starts with a speck of color, usually green or blue and expands until all I see is bright blue or green and it starts to change colors. This only happens when my mind is extremely quiet and I have my eyes closed but I thought it was pretty interesting. They are distracting though, meditating while your vision is like a disco. Anyone experienced these sort of visual input? Is there a scientific explanation for them?

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    I haven't experienced them and I don't know what science would call them. I believe Zen calls them 'makyo' and they are caused by a mixture of awake (in the buddhist sense) and still asleep/delusion.
  • DobsDobs Maine, USA Explorer
    I often experience this myself. Occasionally a face or animal will appear which can be startling.
    check out this link:

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-phosphene.htm

metta
    Sabre
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Allow your eyes to rest and simply receive whatever info is coming in without actively searching for or avoiding anything. Its the same for all your sense organs..

Have you considered meditating with your eyes open?
    riverflow
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited July 2013
    Since how long are you meditating? I've had these things too but they don't last forever. The mind will loose its interest in them eventually. (and it will find something new to distract you haha). Although some people use them to still the mind and it seems to work quite well for them, but I think the breath is more reliable.

So I'd say, don't worry.
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    edited July 2013
    Since a child I've been able to see swirling red dots. It starts with a speck and then expands, appearing to come forward. I can see it at any time actually, if I think about it, with eyes open or closed. Only one swirl at a time which only last a few seconds and then fades away after expanding. I've wondered if anyone else has this experience. Looks kind of like the attached picture.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Woah93 said:

It reminds me of the stuff I used to see when nearly falling asleep. Geometric patterns start moving gently across my vision and at other times it starts with a speck of color, usually green or blue and expands until all I see is bright blue or green and it starts to change colors. This only happens when my mind is extremely quiet and I have my eyes closed but I thought it was pretty interesting. They are distracting though, meditating while your vision is like a disco. Anyone experienced these sort of visual input? Is there a scientific explanation for them?

Yeah, these are phosphenes. Nothing unusual, mystical, spiritual or magical about them. They're just an optic reaction.

• footiamfootiam Veteran
    Woah93 said:

Just take note. Colours. Colours colours and they will disappear.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited July 2013
    Honestly, OP, this sounds like some Kundalini energy is coming up for you, when you still the mind. It means you're doing a good job of meditating. :) But don't get wrapped up in it. As @footiam says, just make a note of it, and keep practicing your technique, whatever it is (following the breath, or whatever), and over time your practice will evolve. There might be a neurological explanation for those colors, (kind of like a kaleidescope, no?), something to do with the right hemisphere of the brain, maybe, but I don't know of one. Just take it as an acknowledgement that you're on the right track. :thumbsup:
    Lionwing
  • maartenmaarten Veteran
    It only happened to me once, a long time ago. I saw geometrical patterns, like animated wireframes of tunnels and surfaces, moving in front of my (closed) eyes for a few minutes before falling asleep.
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    how said:

Have you considered meditating with your eyes open?

Far too simple a solution surely . . .
    :buck:
    What if 'I see dead people'?

. . . and now . . . Time for me to sit and watch the colour show, the mind arisings, the memories, the thoughts of things that never were, the ghost of Christmas Past, the . . . well enough about me in the first few minutes . . . hopefully the mind will settle . . . if not . . . not to worry . . .
  • poptartpoptart Veteran
    lobster said:

What if 'I see dead people'?

I'd worry more about seeing Bruce Willis. :hair:
    lobstermisterCope
  • misterCopemisterCope PA, USA Veteran
    I've experienced something like this, but only when my eyes are open.
  • possibly hypnagogic and hypnopompic hallucinations during the transition phases of falling asleep or waking up...respectively
  • Yeah I am noticing some other unusual things while meditating too. Sometimes my heart seems to start beating irregular/slower, and it almost feel like I can physically feel it pump the blood around with every beat, and a secondary pulse becomes apparent, where it feels like every 5 seconds or so a wave of energy is released which makes me very warm and sweaty and between the pulses it feels like I become faint/sensation of falling. Maybe these things get really pronounced because I don't normally pay attention but still. Remarkable things happen when meditating :)
  • People who take drugs see things too.
  • Yeah, and most of them take drugs 24/7 as well. :)