Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

alfresco meditation

Yesterday I meditated in the open air. Quite near to me is a common, there is a secluded bit partially fenced off. Inside is a small area used by local drinkers, possibly to get drunk. Few cans about. Ivy covered trees and a dried grass drinking area. It might be the modern Western equivalent of a charnel ground . . .
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charnel_ground
( . . . must be a daka/tantrika fetish . . .)
I was visited by a shy wren and chirpy robin whilst sitting in this alcove . . .
around me early city sounds
Also kept my eyes open - been meditating with eyes closed lately . . .
Normally when meditating outside, a secluded bench and a relaxed version of the 'Egyptian pose' prevails
http://www.wildmind.org/posture/chair

Do you meditate alfresco ever? Graveyard? Bench? Bus stop?
riverflow

Comments

• Lots. I have a log that I sit on in my back 40. Too buggy in the summer, but I use it a bunch the other three seasons.
  • TakuanTakuan Veteran
    I've meditated on the bus in the past. People shoot me weird looks, but it's metropolitan public transportation... everyones a little weird. lol
    KundomisterCope
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    "When am I not Meditating?".....
    lobsterKundoZero
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    federica said:

I hope that is true.

When I meditated full time, formal sitting was no different to 'normal' activity.
    I just remembered my teacher did once attend a formal public sitting with me. I never saw so much mindful fidgeting from him, in my life. Others were confirmed in their 'advanced' stillness, I nearly burst out laughing several times . . .

Fun times.
    :wave:
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    It seems I got some of my best results when I meditated in my back yard full of cedar trees. Instead of focussing on the breath, I'd focus on the sound of the wind in the trees. very nice. Nice fragrance, too. :)
    lobsterDandelion
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited July 2013
    @Lobster
    Zen Buddhists tend to try to make their practice one unending meditation period.
    Sometimes, with such a practice, it's near impossible to find a place that's not alfresco.
    lobster
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    I can't meditate with my eyes open no matter how I try,. I have meditated in past jobs in courtyards. People just referred to me as that "hippie Buddha chick" :)

Currently I am blessed to be near the water and I go down to the end of the pier and sit and meditate. No matter what time of day it is, people just naturally seem to disperse when I go down there and I have the pier to myself (awesomesauce) and the fish usually come by to say hi after I'm finished (they look like koi fish except they're brown)

In metta,
    Raven
    maarten
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    Moving from static to ever present mindfulness as @how suggests is not always a priority but of course it can be . . . zen or no-zen . . .

I love the listening to the wind meditation and the carp arriving meditation . . . maybe I will keep returning the attention to the breath as I go about my days daze gaze . . . :wave:
  • misterCopemisterCope PA, USA Veteran
    I've always really enjoyed meditating on a beach. You don't need a cushion, just move sand around where you need it. You can feel the sun on your face and hear the ocean moving in and out. It's like listening to the world breathe.
    Dandelion
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    federica said:

now
    lobster
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    I've meditated on the beach also. Calming ocean sounds and cool sea breezes! oh yeah.
    misterCope