Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

attachement, aversion, "the middle way"...

SillyPuttySillyPutty Veteran
edited July 2013 in Buddhism Basics
I don't know if everyone would agree with me, but I think it's possible to have a real addiction to food, just like to drugs, alcohol, etc. Anyway, assuming you agree with me (or you can use another example here if you wish), how does "the middle way" and attachment and aversion apply here?

For instance, everyone says that you have to eat in moderation to be healthy. But what if you just cannot eat pizza because pizza is your trigger and once you have a taste of it you can't stop eating bad for 2 weeks? (Or, actually, let's put it into a broader spectrum and say: sugar/carbs/etc.-- things we should really eat in moderation to stay healthy.) How can you find moderation/the middle way on something that conjures up such destruction for you? And if that's the case, isn't it just as bad to have an aversion to it as it is to have an attachment to it? Wouldn't that still constitute "not getting the dharma point" in Buddhism? Isn't the ultimate goal just to see the pizza/pasta/rice/bread/potatoes/etc. there and not feel one way or another about it? If so, how on earth do you do that? Cuz I'd love to know. I'm kinda tired of being obsessed with food. :lol:
Invincible_summer

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    For about 2 years I became very sensitive to sodium. Not as bad as some people, but in my case it came on quite suddenly, and if I ate any foods with significant salt my blood pressure would sky rocket, sometimes in a matter of moments. And yet, I love salty foods.

But, since you are asking about the middle way, what I found I could do was to be more mindful about what I was eating throughout the day and try tradeoffs. Okay, if I am going to have potato chips as part of lunch, then tonight I will have to be relatively sodium free. I can have a couple of slices of pizza, but then the rest of the day I can be sodium free.

And, I've tried to think similarly in terms of fats and sugars...although less successfully. But, yesterday in the early afternoon, I stopped at Dairy Queen. But that meant no more deserts for the remainder of the day.

Incidentally, the salt issue has somewhat resolved itself, although I'm not quite sure why. I still have to be a little careful, but not to the extent I did for a while.
    person
  • SillyPuttySillyPutty Veteran
    edited July 2013
    Thanks, @vinlyn, for the tips. After I thought about my post some more, I guess the real question I'm trying to ask here is this: If you have an addiction (whether it be alcohol, sex, internet, collecting spoons-- whatever), and you're dealing with it by avoiding it or having an aversion to it, in Buddhism terms, isn't that considered wrong? Meaning, isn't the goal just to not have the addiction faze you in any manner? In a psychology sense, if you are 15 years sober, that is a success! But in Buddhist terms, you are still waking up every day obsessing and at war with your addiction. Even though you may not be giving into it, you are still attached to it by trying to stay un-attached to it. You know what I mean? So how does one become *mentally* "un-attached" to something, especially if it is physiologically controlling you?
  • wrathfuldeitywrathfuldeity Veteran
    edited July 2013
    Attachment and aversion are the same thing....question is why or what is your understanding of how you came to have it. Ignoring or trying to subdue the attachment or aversion imho, usually makes its worse. Perhaps the middle path is to go into it, BUT with an awake mindfulness so as to investigate and come to understand why it is that you have a reaction to it. Attachment and aversion, kind of presumes by definition, that you are blindly/ignorant of the attachment/aversion. Once you face it, and understand how it works; then you can make a choice and not blindly react.
  • If I want to eat a lot of pizza, that's because I don't feel so good emotionally. So the mind offers an easy, achievable way out in the form of that round pie with cheese and other stuff on it. It's a good thing, really- we need those pleasure centers in the brain stimulated in order to be able to go on with life. The problem is that shortcuts, such as pizza, do not have a lasting effect and have side effects too.

The middle way is to understand that the suffering inherent in such a situation has nothing to do with pizza or lack thereof. It's all about the deep psychological unease that underlies the "addiction". For pizza to become just pizza, I must gain some insight into that unease, reconnect with the emotions that are brewing below the surface. When the insight is gained, pizza is no longer a problem. That is why I practice Buddhism.

To give an example, someone rather close to me used to suffer from compulsive eating. At the same time, they were stuck in life, not sure what they were doing, spending too much time alone. Then they found their way, went to school, found more friends. Compulsive eating disappeared off the radar almost immediately. Eating became a non-issue as a more sustainable way to feel good had been found. What is that way for you? Reflect on that and the whole problem may appear in an entirely different life.Best of luck!
    personJeffrey
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I don't think avoiding something/not partaking of something means it has to be an aversion. If that was the case, then how could an argument be made for the precept of abstaining from alcohol? Wouldn't abstaining from anything be an aversion? What about the ordained and sex? Sex is such a huge biological drive, yet they have to find ways to resist it because they are basically supposed to be averse to it, at least to start.

There are things I avoid for the reasons you describe. When I drink certain things or during certain events, I'll drink way more than I should. So I avoid those things and those situations, not out of aversion but out of self-care and protection. I avoid eating too much sugar. I avoid drinking vodka. I often crave meat yet have to work hard not to eat it every time I want it. I consider it all acts of taking care of my body and my mind.
    riverflowkarmablueslobster
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    I heard of a diet recently that someone was undertaking, he called it vegan before 6. Basically, everything he ate before 6 pm was healthy vegan food, but then after 6 he was allowed to eat anything because eating out and socializing as a stand alone vegan was too hard.

I have issues with cholesterol, my body produces a lot of it, so I stick to a low cholesterol diet 6 days a week but allow myself one cheat day where I can splurge. I also relax if I'm being cooked for.
  • karasti said:

Wouldn't abstaining from anything be an aversion? What about the ordained and sex?

I guess that's what I'm trying to ask here. For instance, many people in AA are living a constant battle. Every morning they wake up, it's a struggle to not give into their desires (or it could be argued, physiological urges) to drink.

This is my question: isn't this attachement (or you can call it aversion) of trying to be un-attached to alcohol wrong? Doesn't that make us stuck in samsara and doomed to keep coming back?

Like I said before, in a social, psychological point of view, being able to fight your urges is considered a great success. However, in Buddhist terms, we should go further; be pushed even more to reaching a state of not even having the alcohol beckon to us each morning.

I think that's what I'm trying to ask. Maybe I'm not being clear because maybe I'm misinterpreting what is "successful" in Buddhist terms. Just trying to figure out how addictions play into this. When we see someone like Trungpa, then it starts to all fall into this "crazy wisdom" area where it gets even more confusing.

So you can use pizza or alcohol or anything-- I was in a sense asking for tips/advice, but more so in how to not let the obsession of food rule my life. Even though I may succeed and lose all of my weight and conquer the temptation every day, isn't simply thinking about it every day still considered an attachment and keeping me from enlightenment and glued to samsara (i.e. in my next life maybe I'll come back as someone who is an obsessed body builder... I dunno).

Does everyone kinda get what I'm asking now, or am I still just making no sense? :lol:
  • attachment/adversion/addiction...there are levels...spectrum....
    genetic....dna propensity/risk,
    biological...physical neurotransmitter receptor site,
    energy....?
    social....need to fit in,
    emotional....feel more brave or courageous or as an escape due to issues of self worth
    psychological...as a crutch. maladaptive coping mechanisim, for dis-inhibition
    and perhaps spiritual...karmic

Having an understand of what is at play or influence...then one can deal with/intervene at a more effective level with an appropriate technique. And understanding how all the levels are at an influence is even better.
  • Do not kill... ...in moderation...? :wtf:
    SillyPutty
  • riverflow said:

Do not kill... ...in moderation...? :wtf:

You got me there, @Riverflow.

HOWEVER... I don't go around thinking about killing people all day (unless I'm driving in Delaware). I'm sure there may be sociopaths that do this, but I'm talking about your world revolving around some form of addiction. Even though you're not giving into said addiction, it still consumes you, which is an attachment, right? So... how does one overcome THAT part of it all?

person said:

I heard of a diet recently that someone was undertaking, he called it vegan before 6. Basically, everything he ate before 6 pm was healthy vegan food, but then after 6 he was allowed to eat anything because eating out and socializing as a stand alone vegan was too hard.

I have issues with cholesterol, my body produces a lot of it, so I stick to a low cholesterol diet 6 days a week but allow myself one cheat day where I can splurge. I also relax if I'm being cooked for.

That's interesting. In a sense I do that, although not exactly by plan. I rarely have any meat other than dinner. And even then I may have pasta once or twice a week, often without meat.

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    SillyPutty, I think what you're talking about is fairly advanced as far as practice goes, not the technique but the attainment.

Basically if you look at a craving like a fire, whenever we engage with it positively or negatively we give it energy (like throwing a log on the fire). When we practice in meditation letting go when our mind engages it is like watching the fire until it dies out. Eventually the fire goes out and then even the embers die out, at that point even if we throw a log on the fire the fire won't start up again.

Speaking for myself and I imagine others here who have done periods of extensive and prolonged meditation. I've seen many even strong cravings diminish when engaged in intensive practice. When I've let up I've seen them come back though so I guess the embers were still there.

Over a long period of time with just my everyday sort of practice I've been able to slowly reduce my attachments. Research on meditators says kind of the same thing, expert meditators show big results but even beginners quickly show some results.
    lobsterriverflowSillyPuttyJeffrey
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    You practice. You change. Attachments lessen. Still attached to wasting time? :orange:
    ShigoSillyPutty
  • Sounds like you believe you have a food addiction, right? And can't stop? Not all alcoholics and drug addicts go to AA and places like that. Who'd want to go day-to-day with that hanging over their head?? Have you ever heard of Rational Recovery? Google them, they have a site. Sounds like you need help with an addiction you're fighting and not being successful doing it this way. I had a short duration drinking problem but haven't had a drink for 20ish years, don't ever feel the urge or even think about it.

Check out Rational Recovery. It isn't an AA type thing or a 12 step thing. I don't believe you end an addiction with having to think about it every day being afraid you'd fail! But not really fair as that's the only way some people can quit addictions. I'm just not one of them. After you get a handle on eating then will you still have to deal with losing weight?

Hoping for the best for you, and lobster is right, ATTACHMENTS DO LESSEN!
    SillyPutty
    edited July 2013
    person said:

Over a long period of time with just my everyday sort of practice I've been able to slowly reduce my attachments. Research on meditators says kind of the same thing, expert meditators show big results but even beginners quickly show some results.

So basically all psychological and physiological attachments can be overcome by meditating. That's how one day we will end up looking back on our struggle with, let's say, alcohol, and realize that it no longer consumes us either by desires or aversion. We wake up one day and just go, "Wow... I don't care if a bottle of vodka is in front of me. Not only do I not care to drink it, but it also won't be on my mind the entire day." So it's as simple as that then, eh? Well, not *simple*, but the explanation is simple (i.e. just meditate!).

It just makes me wonder why AA programs and Weight Watchers and all of these places just don't institute meditation as a practice then. It doesn't have to be labeled religious or spiritual. Meditation is about as neutral as walking or crocheting in terms of it's affiliation. Well, maybe AA does suggest it... I dunno. Never been to meetings to find out. I know they utilize a lot of 12 step practices and reliance on higher powers, but that's about all I know. And I wouldn't expect weight loss places to institute meditation, actually, considering they're in it to make money, not give you a real tool that helps you solve the problem once and for all.

Anyway, okay, I guess if that's what it takes, that's what it takes. I guess I just don't believe it's possible since I've been literally obsessed with food/diet/exercise/weight loss/weight gain my entire life. To have the attachment dwindle into nothingness would be fantastic. To be able to wake up and not constantly think to myself, "Okay, today is another day in which I will battle with eating and exercise" would be awesome. It's literally like my life has constantly been centered around this. Even when I'm at an adequate weight/in shape, it's even worse, because then I'm obsessed about *not* eating things I shouldn't. It's like my brain/mind cannot have a rest or reprieve from this attachment. Having an addictive personality, it's hard to think of life as any other way. I can only imagine how people who have severe alcohol, drug, and sex addictions get through the day. I have a hard enough time with food. And it worries me that I can't be neutral when it comes to this and diminish the attachment, because that means I will be anchored in samsara, even though on the outside it may appear that I have the attachment beaten due to having a slender body and the sort. But in my mind, it's a constant battle/obsession. I guess that's the issue... how does it become... effortless? Or is it never supposed to be effortless and I'm missing the point?
  • lobster said:

You practice. You change. Attachments lessen. Still attached to wasting time? :orange:

Hahaha... yeah... well, I guess no time like the present to start, eh? And I'll be damned if french fries and pizza are going to keep me coming back here over and over again. :D
  • Admittedly the following is some quickie 'armchair psychology' about food and issues with food. I'm not approaching this from a Buddhist POV because I don't view the OP as a problem with "cravings and/or addictions" or even aversion - in the spiritual sense. But of course- YMMV

@SillyPutty

Pizza ( itself ) isn't making you eat badly for the next two weeks.... you are eating badly for the next two weeks because in your mind you have already "failed" resisting something "bad" (the pizza) and therefore feel defeated, conquered, and yeah, maybe even worthy of punishment. This isn't about "an addiction to pizza", it's about clinging to a mindset that pizza is "bad"....

There are no "good" or "bad" foods - in moderation.
    And once you cross the moderation line with ANY food, it becomes problematic; AKA "bad". That's why one of the most often repeated advice is "everything in moderation is the best way to go..." Because it's TRUE.

When it comes to food- severely restricting or eliminating certain "bad" foods becomes the goal in most 'diet plans' or mindset. Once that food is placed on the No-no List, it takes on a power it normally wouldn't have- if you had given yourself permission to indulge -in moderation. Or to bring this back around to a Buddhist perspective; The Middle Way. :D

Forget calories, forget 'weight loss goals'.... eating healthy has little to do with dieting to lose weight. Eating healthy is to keep your body nourished and functioning at its best level- THAT is health, not the numbers on the scale.

Once you start eating healthy /healthier, losing weight may happen as a side effect, but then again it might not happen (much) at all. But if it doesn't, that still doesn't mean you haven't greatly improved your HEALTH, because you most likely have, (according to exams and blood work) and that is what counts.

SillyPutty
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited July 2013
    Sillyputty,

Sometimes others help us find self acceptance and self love through sharing. 12 step programs are great at helping people break down the isolation and build strength. Its not much different than a specialized sangha, which is one of the jewels or pillars.

Perhaps for sillyputty the fight with weight isn't an addiction to the food or thinness, but an addiction to the fight. It gives you something to do and not be bored with "yes, eating again, exercising again". This makes life very serious work! Perhaps more silly is needed in the putty. :) When we forget to play, we forget the gentleness of the heart. There is a reason why the Buddha is always depicted with a smile.

With warmth,
    Matt
    edited July 2013
    MaryAnne said:

Pizza ( itself ) isn't making you eat badly for the next two weeks.... you are eating badly for the next two weeks because in your mind you have already "failed" resisting something "bad" (the pizza) and therefore feel defeated, conquered, and yeah, maybe even worthy of punishment. This isn't about "an addiction to pizza", it's about clinging to a mindset that pizza is "bad"....

I do agree with what you wrote in your post, @MaryAnne. But I also do believe that some people can have a physical addiction to some of the food.

I've been researching Candida overgrowth in the body. (This is where my whole theory of a "physiological food addiction" comes into play!) Even though I agree that the majority of addcitions stem from a psychological one like you've stated, after reading about Candida illnesses, I feel like I, at least, have this problem. This is why I am struggling.

I was told I may have this problem many years ago by a doctor. To have a doctor even suggest such an issue is kinda quackery, since there is a lot of debate around Candida overgrowth and adrenal fatigue. Many people you talk to would claim it's an imagined illness, like fibromyalgia.

Ever since I was a kid, I've had a weight problem, psoriasis, allergies, food sensitives, fatigue, you name it. When I hit my mid-20's and went through a really super stressful period in my life, everything became worse. Actually, when I turned 20 I had my gallbladder out. Then the health problems just snowballed from there. Everything from sinusitis to depression and anxiety to kidney stones to crippling fatigue and low energy to digestive problems to horrible menstruation to cysts to bizarre skin problems to hair loss to night sweats to severe trouble losing weight to eyes changing to a green color! (just learned this is a definite sign of Candida overgrowth) to super sensitivity to light/the sun to joint pain to super cold/numb hands and feet (and nose) to YOU NAME IT, I HAD/HAVE IT! Everyone would blame the excess weight and my diet. Or they would go, "You sure you don't have a thyroid problem?" And then I would go see a endocrinologist and he'd just tell me that I was stressed and my blood work showed nothing. (I know Dakini recommended a specialist to see, and I'm still considering that, but for now I'm going to try the Candida detox/diet once more and see if that helps since I still have the whole money/insurance issue to contend with.) And, logically, I would think, "Ummm, yeah. It's just my fault. I need to have more willpower. Obviously I have all of these health problems *because* of my weight."

However, after reading about Candida overgrowth, I feel like I've been sick for a very, very long time and haven't even realized it. My addiction to foods that are high in yeast, fungus, and sugar is not a coincidence. It is literally a physiological addiction more so a mental one. It's taken years of trial and error to finally come to this realization. If you read up on Candida overgrowth, it makes sense. And seeing how my father used to give me anti-biotics every time I sneezed when I was a child, as well as giving me milk that I always seemed to have a horrible reaction to, it makes sense. I've just always been a very sickly kid, but people just blamed it on the weight. But the thing is, the weight was a product of cortisol and hormonal imbalances, thus this underlying issue with my body being out of balance.

So anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say here is, I believe the reason why I've always had a problem with moderation with food is because it's not possible *UNTIL* I have healed my digestive issues/leaky gut syndrome/hormonal imbalances. It is literally like if I have anything my body craves in terms of sugar/fried/salty foods, I become a dope fiend and can't stop thinking about it and the Candida-- which is a living organism-- craves it and makes you sick until you feed it what it wants. Seriously. I actually started a Candida detox a few weeks back but stopped because I made the mistake of eating something I shouldn't have eaten yet (and by yet, it takes years to heal this for some people.... :( ), and it totally threw me off kilter. Now here I am once more, making plans to start the detox tomorrow, and then in a week, start the strict diet once again.

Now, about the Buddhist part of this, I think I was asking because I don't see how meditation can help someone with a physical addiction. I just don't see how it's possible. I think the only way meditation can help someone become less attached to an addiction that is more physical than psychological in natures, is by helping to give a light bulb moment of how to take the steps to overcome the addiction. You know what I mean?

So, yeah... that's where I am right now. I've been beating myself up all of my life thinking it was a question of willpower or moderation. It really isn't. I have something severely wrong physiologically speaking that needs to be addressed. Then and only then will I feel and become healthier. I think meditation will keep me on the right track, yes. I think it will help me *DURING* my detox/Candida diet to overcome the attachments I have to certain foods. Oh yes. But I think if I didn't take the time to reflect on this issue of mine and really try to get to the core of why I always feel so sick and depressed and tired and have such a hard time losing weight, that I would still be going around in circles, no matter how much I tried to tell myself that moderation is key. Moderation can come *after* I have healed internally, yes. But I just think it's so sad that there are probably SO SO SO many other people in this world suffering with the same symptoms/issues as me, and constantly obsessing as to why they can't overcome their demons.

Okay, that was my rant. Thanks for all of your advice, everyone. I'm going to up the meditation and work on that, along with trying my very best to stick to this Candida detox/diet. It's so painful to go through, too. The die-off symptoms-- even with the supplements that are supposed to protect your organs-- are horrible. After 2 days of taking out the sugar and starches I was developing rashes and migraines and oh my it was just horrid. :lol: So if I'm dead to this forum for awhile, you'll know why. I have a long, painful road ahead of me.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Certain foods are engineered with a certain balance of ingredients to encourage people to crave them. One book has even said that some cravings and addictions to foods (as a result of how they are engineered...notice few people have addictions to spinach or strawberries or other natural foods) are as strong as crack addiction as far as the effect they can have on how the brain operates.

As for AA and weightwatchers...honestly, if you look at it closely they do advocate a form of meditation. not necessarily seated meditation...but mindfulness. By digging VERY deep into yourself and learning and understand where the things come from that cause you to overeat and have issues with food. My sister's gf is in the midst of AA and is working on her fearless moral inventory step. It's intense. REALLY intense. i've known several people who have done it, and it is no less intensive than advanced meditation and what comes out of it. It is learning the same information in different ways. They may well find that adding meditation helps with this. Maybe @Tosh can elaborate on the combination. But I think the intense learning and knowing of ones challenges and how to handle them is quite like what you learn about managing your life in meditation, as well as daily mindfulness. As well as the support of a sangha. That is one thing that AA and WW and other programs also stress-community support.

It's not so simple as meditation can fix everything, and I think you know that. It's *what* meditation does for you as you go deeper into it that makes the difference. There is nothing magic about sitting on a cushion for 15 minutes or 5 hours. It's what comes OUT of it that matters. The same as working the steps in AA. The same in following the curriculum in WW. It is *all* about learning about yourself, in the end, and how to manage your demons in a way that makes your life livable, peaceful, enjoyable and whatever else.
    SillyPutty
  • Forgive me if this seems rude? *not intentional *
    but it seems like with all these lengthy comments (very good ones no question) there is a very simple important underlining issue here....that your making a mountain out of a mole hill.

What Im getting at is the more you dwell on this, the more time your wasting when you can simply "put it down".
    A famous monk, thich nhat hanh uses the term "throw away" which is more powerful. There is a zen saying "eat when hungry, sleep when tired. nothing more then that."

So, take back your power. Pizza, cake or whatever only becomes more powerful then you unless your mind can "throw it away" and then you "eat when hungry."

Attachments become an issue when your ego is yammering at you about analysis over stuff and then you end up with lengthy threads about a mole hill.
    I sincerely hope you see the deeper teaching here.

with respect and metta.
    blu3ree
    edited July 2013
    Shigo said:

Forgive me if this seems rude? *not intentional *
    but it seems like with all these lengthy comments (very good ones no question) there is a very simple important underlining issue here....that your making a mountain out of a mole hill.

What Im getting at is the more you dwell on this, the more time your wasting when you can simply "put it down".
    A famous monk, thich nhat hanh uses the term "throw away" which is more powerful. There is a zen saying "eat when hungry, sleep when tired. nothing more then that."

So, take back your power. Pizza, cake or whatever only becomes more powerful then you unless your mind can "throw it away" and then you "eat when hungry."

Attachments become an issue when your ego is yammering at you about analysis over stuff and then you end up with lengthy threads about a mole hill.
    I sincerely hope you see the deeper teaching here.

with respect and metta.

Well, the fact that you replied with what you wrote, you obviously did not read a single word I said. Either that, or you are too stubborn to empathize what I've been going through all of my life. Yes, it is rude for you to reply with this. You have no idea how much of a struggle this has been for me. How much of a struggle this has been my entire life. For you to write what you wrote above, it proves that you do not want to see my side of it. You think that *YOU* have the answers to a problem *I* have been suffering with for as long as I can remember. This is exactly what has driven me crazy my entire life; people like you trying to tell me there's a simple solution that I'm not seeing because YOU cannot empathize what's going on inside MY body and mind. Not validating my emotions and my pain does not help and only adds to my neurosis. I am looking for support; not someone to tell me to get over it and I'm basically imagining the suffering I am experiencing.

I sincerely hope you learn some compassion and realize that the "molehill" I'm creating is done in order to figure things out... to desperately search for a solution. I hope that you don't ever have to go through with what I have been living with all of my life. You wouldn't have the patience nor the resilience to deal with it.
  • Hi SillyPutty,

If you really believe Candida overgrowth is the source of your problems, then the only thing I could recommend from a scientific point of view would be to drink a couple of those probiotic yoghurts everyday. If the antibiotics you were exposed to did allow for yeast to out-compete your native gut flora then these yoghurts should help replace that yeast with commensal (friendly) bacteria. Also, lots of fibre will help move things along and clean out any long standing colonies. If you like broccoli, eating a lot of that is good for the intestine.

I'm rather skeptical of the idea of the yeast moving from the gut into the blood and around the body because, well, you'd pretty quickly get multiple organ failure and die if that happened. But intestinal problems can cause a lot the symptoms you mention (apart from the eye colour thing, that's new to me) so it's possible yeast is the culprit in that sense.

I have had problems with alcohol in the past, so I get where you're coming from, the old "once you pop, you can't stop" syndrome. My personal experience was that it was entirely in my mind, which is much harder to deal with than a biochemical addiction, I'd be willing to bet food addiction is similar but there's no easy solution to that, we need to eat. Buddhism might help in that regard, but I doubt it's something you could work through alone.

You also mention you had your gallbladder out? The gallbladder is important in that it helps digest fats, if you're having trouble digesting fats because of the lack of bile from the gallbladder it could be another reason you're craving fatty/surgery foods, for the energy they give. Undigested fat might also be the cause of your "leaky gut syndrome". It's the same principle that some diet pills use, they stop you absorbing fat, but the consequence is the fat just passes straight through with... unpleasant results.

I also get where you're coming from when you talk about getting addicted to the solution to problems. I'm similar when it comes to diet or lifestyle changes I come across, I quickly take things to an extreme, so that whatever I've changed becomes the new focus of my attention, as opposed to the thing I'm trying to make better, just shifting the addiction really.

Good luck with everything, here's hoping your detox does what you hope it will. :)
    SillyPutty
  • @SillyPutty
    I was simply trying to give more of a "buddhist " perspective on the subject and as best as I knew how, saying "you CAN get your power back"

I think you are to upset to see my intentions.
    edited July 2013
    Thanks, @Chrysalid. I appreciate the input. Yeah, I agree-- the Candida thing is controversial, like I stated above. We are supposed to have it in our body, but it's claimed that when an imbalance is created we experience all of my aforementioned symptoms, then some. So I'm desperate. I've seen a lot of success stories with this, so I'm hoping it's the answer. Many people have reclaimed their health by trying things like The GAPs diet and this Candida diet, so I figure what have I got to lose? Nothing else has worked so far.
  • P.S. if I had "no compassion" I would not have even bothered.
    edited July 2013
    Shigo said:

P.S. if I had "no compassion" I would not have even bothered.

You didn't write that out of compassion. You wrote that out of ego; to feel superior and tell me to basically get over myself. If you had such "compassion" as you state, you wouldn't have said I was yammering and making a mountain out of a molehill. Sorry, but I have been very sick for many, many years. If I had cancer, would you still have replied the way you did? What if I was an alcoholic? Would your reply/wording have changed?

Yeah. Thought so.
  • And when you say "noYou wouldn't have the patience nor the resilience to deal with it."
    your assuming *YOU* know what *I* can or can not handle.
    are YOU me? no?.... so how do you know if I said what I did out of compassion or not?
    I guess your calling me a liar then. As well as assuming how I would answer possible future issues that have absolutely nothing to do with your post whatsoever.
    Clearly you have more issues then food. Anger and assuming things being 2 more.
    edited July 2013
    Shigo said:

And when you say "noYou wouldn't have the patience nor the resilience to deal with it."
    your assuming *YOU* know what *I* can or can not handle.
    are YOU me? no?.... so how do you know if I said what I did out of compassion or not?
    I guess your calling me a liar then. As well as assuming how I would answer possible future issues that have absolutely nothing to do with your post whatsoever.
    Clearly you have more issues then food. Anger and assuming things being 2 more.

I've admitted plenty of times on this forum I have issues with anger. But trying to act like you are being Mother Theresa and trying to help me is a flat out lie. Yes, you are a liar. It is evident by your posts-- especially this last one. Your agenda is to kick me while I'm down. Now leave me alone. You are only making me more upset and I can't block you on this site, sadly. I don't wish to interact with you anymore.
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited July 2013
    *Sigh* Is it ME- or is Mercury in retrograde or something??
    Inc88
  • MaryAnne said:

*Sigh* Is it ME- or is Mercury in retrograde or something??

Actually, many planets are right now. But that doesn't mean I've misinterpreted his post.
  • SillyPutty, I am more then happy to have nothing to do with someone who thinks they know everything about a complete stranger. Now my "agenda" is to kick you when your down?
    wow...get some help.
    Good luck with your severe and multiple mental issues I hope you find peace in your life.
    Calm down, folks.
    riverflow
    edited July 2013
    Shigo said:

SillyPutty, I am more then happy to have nothing to do with someone who thinks they know everything about a complete stranger. Now my "agenda" is to kick you when your down?
    wow...get some help.
    Good luck with your severe and multiple mental issues I hope you find peace in your life.

I won't lie. That really hurt. I hope you feel good about yourself now. Congratulations.
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited July 2013
    Well I just left another thread in a completely unrelated forum across town, (the internet), and HOLY COW! I was attacked by a few like I was a pedophile caught in a playground!
    All because I DARED to address someone's issue they were having with family members from the family members' point of view. The more I gently tried to explain myself, the angrier they got, and they ended up calling me passive-aggressive, and....a protector/sympathizer of CHILD ABUSERS! :eek: WTF?? They don't even know me! But hey, I didn't spout the party line 100%, so I guess I'm the enemy.

I left there in disgust and came here and found this thread. Makes me feel.... sad....
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited July 2013
    Respectfully, it does appear that there is some projecting into Shigo going on. Set down the hot coal of anger and it may be simpler to resolve, friend.

With warmth,
    Matt
    Shigo
    edited July 2013
    aMatt said:

Respectfully, it does appear that there is some projecting into Shigo going on. Set down the hot coal of anger and it may be simpler to resolve, friend.

With warmth,
    Matt

Okay, whatever. Shigo is right. I am wrong. I should just get over it and stop yammering.

Sorry, everyone. Won't happen again. Promise. Hope you all stay healthy and never have to experience anything like I have. Ever.

Bye.

P.S. I asked @Lincoln for the thread to be deleted. So if any more of you want to get your cheap shots in, now's the chance.

• come on.... now you are really being unfair. :(
    vinlynShigo
  • Shigo said:

SillyPutty, I am more then happy to have nothing to do with someone who thinks they know everything about a complete stranger. Now my "agenda" is to kick you when your down?
    wow...get some help.

I won't lie. That really hurt. I hope you feel good about yourself now. Congratulations.
    I apologise. You took it wrong. Sometimes out of compassion The Buddha would simply be silent when an issue came up. Perhaps I should done this in this situation.

• Hey silly putty.. I've spent a life dealing with a love/hate relationship with sugar,exercise and weight. Not fun, but apparently it's one of my practices in this life. And it does get better trust me:) Mindfulness is my number one tool- and self judgment has to be seen and let go of. Shinzen Youngs former wife, Shelly Young, wrote a good book you may like called Break Out of the Sugar Prison. Best wishes- plz remember there's nothing inherently wrong with you! One day at a time:)
  • Ps just realized the 'inherently wrong' comment could be misconstrued- sorry- I said that because I used to believe there was something truly Wrong with me that I couldn't 'just eat' and not obsess like 'normal people'- and it took me a long time to realize that it wasn't true;)
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    Shigo said:

Forgive me if this seems rude?

For future reference, if you feel the need to preface a post with that, you should either delete it or spend more time editing.

Either that, or you are too stubborn to empathize what I've been going through all of my life. Yes, it is rude for you to reply with this. You have no idea how much of a struggle this has been for me. How much of a struggle this has been my entire life. For you to write what you wrote above, it proves that you do not want to see my side of it.

No, it proves he's young and doesn't understand yet.
    Shigo said:

wow...get some help.

That was truly a jerk way to reply. When someone responds in anger, you back away, you don't poke them harder.

Okay, whatever. Shigo is right. I am wrong. I should just get over it and stop yammering. [...] if any more of you want to get your cheap shots in, now's the chance.

The martyr bit is not becoming. That isn't how this place works.
    Shigo said:

I apologise. You took it wrong.

It's not an apology if you blame the listener.

When things escalate, you stop talking and come back later. Please work on that for next time.
    riverflowJeffreyInvincible_summerThinGentlement
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    I have banned Shigo. He was in fact kashi, who re-registered some time after being banned and requested a second chance. I was dithering about my decision when he made up my mind for me (here, yes, but also elsewhere in discussions both public and private).
This discussion has been closed.