Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Hello All!

JerbearJerbear Veteran
edited October 2006 in Sanghas
Hello All,

I wanted to let everyone know what's up. I realize that it has been quite a while since I've been actively involved on the board. As most know, I lost my father this summer and resigned from a job. The job that was supposed to happen didn't for a silly reason, but that is what life dealt me. Due to all that had happened, I decided that I didn't want to pass off my negative attitude on to everyone.

Many of you would disagree and would say "Jerry, why didn't you say something? We would have understoood". Most likely, you all would have and that's one of the great things about our little sangha. Over the years, I've found it easy to pick up someone's attitude from an online conversation. I've done it and realized I didn't want to hand off my less than spectacular attitude to people I do care about here. Basically, I chose to sit in my crappy attitude.

A person on this board sent me a note which actually is starting the process of coming out of this attitude. Their note has done more to help than they will realize. So I need to say a few things for me.

1. I am human. I have this need inside to have all the answers for others when I don't know most of the questions. When I don't have them, I feel at a loss and very uncomfortable. A plague that is part of those in the "helping" professions. I'm not perfect and I don't have all the answers. I'm a fellow person on the path and not a superman. I wish you all knew how much it hurts me to say this. I want to be the one that people can come to all of the time, but I'm realizing that I don't know everything. I need to say less and listen more.

2. Some days, I don't want to be compassionate. I've been realizing that there are times I really want to tell someone something that isn't allowed to be said on this board. I want to roll down my window and tell them what I think of their driving. I want tell someone how rude they are in the pharmacy. I don't go with the flow normally, but I do believe in basic respect for others. But there are times you just want to let someone know what you really think. Those are days I try to keep my mouth shut the most though. You don't know unless you're a nurse how many people tell you about their medical histories. I'm always polite and listen, but "LEAVE ME ALONE!" is sometimes the answer. I do that at work all night long. Sometimes when I'm with my friends, I don't care about their Aunt Gertrude's hernia operation. Just let me eat my General Tso's Chicken and let's talk about the latest movie.

3. Some days, I don't want to meditate. Why sit on the cushion? My back hurts. I can't concentrate. I much rather be listening to one of my heavy metal cd's at 10 and be aggressive. The idea of trying to be in touch with my inner self is less fun than escaping reality.

4. Some days, I wish the First Noble Truth wouldn't smack me in the face. I wish there were less suffering to life. It seems that the more I meditate, the more I'm aware of that suffering. I rather be aware of a pint of ice cream. Food is an escape for me.

I hope you all realize that I still care about all of you and plan on continuing on the path and being here at NB.com. I just needed to say these things as I was starting to feel really fake. I don't like that at all and needed to be a bit more honest. So, how are you all on the path?

Comments

• JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited September 2006
    Hello All,

I wanted to let everyone know what's up. I realize that it has been quite a while since I've been actively involved on the board. As most know, I lost my father this summer and resigned from a job. The job that was supposed to happen didn't for a silly reason, but that is what life dealt me. Due to all that had happened, I decided that I didn't want to pass off my negative attitude on to everyone.

Many of you would disagree and would say "Jerry, why didn't you say something? We would have understoood". Most likely, you all would have and that's one of the great things about our little sangha. Over the years, I've found it easy to pick up someone's attitude from an online conversation. I've done it and realized I didn't want to hand off my less than spectacular attitude to people I do care about here. Basically, I chose to sit in my crappy attitude.

A person on this board sent me a note which actually is starting the process of coming out of this attitude. Their note has done more to help than they will realize. So I need to say a few things for me.

1. I am human. I have this need inside to have all the answers for others when I don't know most of the questions. When I don't have them, I feel at a loss and very uncomfortable. A plague that is part of those in the "helping" professions. I'm not perfect and I don't have all the answers. I'm a fellow person on the path and not a superman. I wish you all knew how much it hurts me to say this. I want to be the one that people can come to all of the time, but I'm realizing that I don't know everything. I need to say less and listen more.

2. Some days, I don't want to be compassionate. I've been realizing that there are times I really want to tell someone something that isn't allowed to be said on this board. I want to roll down my window and tell them what I think of their driving. I want tell someone how rude they are in the pharmacy. I don't go with the flow normally, but I do believe in basic respect for others. But there are times you just want to let someone know what you really think. Those are days I try to keep my mouth shut the most though. You don't know unless you're a nurse how many people tell you about their medical histories. I'm always polite and listen, but "LEAVE ME ALONE!" is sometimes the answer. I do that at work all night long. Sometimes when I'm with my friends, I don't care about their Aunt Gertrude's hernia operation. Just let me eat my General Tso's Chicken and let's talk about the latest movie.

3. Some days, I don't want to meditate. Why sit on the cushion? My back hurts. I can't concentrate. I much rather be listening to one of my heavy metal cd's at 10 and be aggressive. The idea of trying to be in touch with my inner self is less fun than escaping reality.

4. Some days, I wish the First Noble Truth wouldn't smack me in the face. I wish there were less suffering to life. It seems that the more I meditate, the more I'm aware of that suffering. I rather be aware of a pint of ice cream. Food is an escape for me.

I hope you all realize that I still care about all of you and plan on continuing on the path and being here at NB.com. I just needed to say these things as I was starting to feel really fake. I don't like that at all and needed to be a bit more honest. So, how are you all on the path?

P.S. For all you metal fans, get Nevermore's "This Godless Endeavor" and Dragonforce's "Inhuman Rampage". Just phenomenal albums if you ask me!
  • questZENerquestZENer Veteran
    edited September 2006
    Hey, Jerbear. Good to see you're alive and kicking! There has been concern for your well being. I'm sorry to read of your dad. More importantly, this is such a frank, brutally honest message. To answer your question literally: One of the precepts has been ringing in my ears lately: I will use all the ingredients of my life. This is the practice of not being stingy. I will not foster a mind of poverty in myself or others. I go through periods where I sit everyday and I go through periods where I don't. I'm in the latter right now. It's mostly because of laziness and excuses I tell myself! But this is also practice. Practice is not fun not is it pretty. If practice doesn't slap you in the face, it's not practice.

Take courage, Jerbear. Thanks for posting. Be gentle with yourself.
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited September 2006
    Dear Jerry,

well said.

respect to you-I hope YOU feel better soon.

Xray
  • edited September 2006
    Jerry,

I can relate. Thanks for letting us know what was going on. It's good to hear from you.

Adiana:usflag:
  • edited September 2006
    Jerbear,

It's great to see you have come back. My thoughts are with you in losing your father, I didn't know of this and am sorry to hear it. All the points you hit on are definitely there with us all I think. It's part of the struggle of being human, and us all being interconnected feel these same emotions. As a matter of fact I was just reading something in a book and HH said that if he took a job that most of us normally work and get frustrated at he would as well. He said he would throw things, scream, maybe break some stuff. I laughed when I read it because he, like the rest of us is human. We all have emotion, whether it be negative or positive, we all feel things that the rest do. I don't mean to babble, just was hoping to make your day a little better.

Not meaning to sound like and AA meeting but keep coming back, it was great to read all your posts when you came more frequently.
  • edited September 2006
    posted by Jerbear: P.S. For all you metal fans, get Nevermore's "This Godless Endeavor" and Dragonforce's "Inhuman Rampage". Just phenomenal albums if you ask me!

Saw this in your other thread. I am a huge Nevermore fan. I have "Dreaming Neon Black" and "Dead Heart In A Dead World". If you liked "This Godless Endeavor" you will love the two discs I mentioned. I listen to them at least a few times a week and have been trying to mimic Warrell Dane's vocals, but to no avail. Have you heard of his previous band Sanctuary??
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2006
    You've just been elected spokesman.....!!

Welcome back, Jerry.
    We missed you.

Now if we could just convince that old rogue ZM to pop his head up over the parapet, and Comicrelief to come in and give us some.....

We could really party - !!
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2006
    Good to see you, Jerbear.

Good to have someone speaking for those of us who want to shout "F*CK THE WHOLE W*NKING LOT OF YOU - MAY YOU ROAST IN YOUR OWN HELLS"!

This is a favourite poem of mine. Written by Father Thomas Merton, the loquacious Trappist:
    WHETHER THERE IS ENJOYMENT IN BITTERNESS
    Thomas Merton (Pre 1957)

This afternoon, let me
    Be a sad person. Am I not
    Permitted (like other men)
    To be sick of myself?

Am I not allowed to be hollow,
    Or fall in the hole
    Or break my bones (within me)
    In the trap set by my own
    Lie to myself? O my friend,
    I too must sin and sin.

I too must hurt other people and
    (since I am no exception)
    I must be hated by them.

Do not forbid me, therefore,
    To taste the same bitter poison,
    And drink the gall that love
    (Love most of all) so easily becomes.

Do not forbid me (once again) to be
    Angry, bitter, disillusioned,
    Wishing I could die.

While life and death
    Are killing one another in my flesh,
    Leave me in peace. I can enjoy,
    Even as other men, this agony.

Only (whoever you may be)
    Pray for my soul. Speak my name
    To Him, for in my bitterness
    I hardly speak to Him: and He
    While He is busy killing me
    Refuses to listen.
  • edited September 2006

Good to have someone speaking for those of us who want to shout "F*CK THE WHOLE W*NKING LOT OF YOU - MAY YOU ROAST IN YOUR OWN HELLS"!

LOL, Simon. That's especially funny coming from you. :)

Jerry...it's so good to have you back and I completely understand what you are saying. I am sorry that job didn't turn out for you, but maybe there is something better coming around the corner. Hang in there and know that we are all here for you, and you don't NEED to be a superhero all the time! We are all just human, trying to make it through this crazy life.

I've missed you!

Your Friend,
    Kim
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited September 2006
    Simon,
    I need to read that poem daily until I have it memorized. Though I'm not of the Christian persuasion, I can truly relate to the sentiment.

Kim and Fede,
    Thanks. This seems to be a time for me to be more honest with myself. The last time something like this happened was the beginning of a tremendous emotional growth spurt. If I let it, it just might happen again.
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited September 2006
    LFA,
    Yes, I've heard of Sanctuary. Not heard any of their stuff yet. I really am starting to like a band called Trivium. Some fans are torqued that the guy isn't screaming anymore and sound like James H. of Metallica. I find it interesting that metal fans are really resistant to change in their bands. I know I didn't like Turbo by Priest and thought they went soft. "Sell out" is used to easily.

I still have your stack of books and hope to get them out to you next week. Send me your most recent address/p.o. box so I can get them to you.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2006
    Good to have you back, Jer. I can't speak for anybody else, but I don't think anyone here had you pegged for having all the answers - or anyone else, for that matter. We're just here to share our own experience to try to help each other out. Why, I even have heard it suggested that I may not always be right! Imagine that! (Oy!)

So c'mon, crawl into the back of the bus with all the rest of us bozos, and let's go!

Palzang
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited September 2006
    Palzang,
    I didn't think anyone thought I knew everything, but I FELT that I should. That was the problem. Too much hitting at once. Good lesson. But, I decided to start sitting again. Nothing forced either!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited September 2006
    Hi, sweetie!! It's so lovely to see you back on the board! I've missed you. Great post full of honesty. As Palzang said, we're here at the back of the bus whenever you wanna hang out with some crazy people and don't worry, we'll remind you that you don't have all the answers as often as you like! lol! By the way, have I ever told you about my father's hip surgery...?

Love,
    Boo
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2006
    federica wrote:

Now if we could just convince that old rogue ZM to pop his head up over the parapet, and Comicrelief to come in and give us some.....

We could really party - !!

Well, Comic showed up....! One down, one to go.....

Pop in and out as you see fit, Jerry....Just remember to touch base with us once in a while. We mums worry, ya know...?!
    edited September 2006
    Palzang wrote:
    So c'mon, crawl into the back of the bus with all the rest of us bozos, and let's go!

Palzang

Anyone know any really good Rugby songs....?!
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited September 2006
    Jerry,

I have to say that your entire post got a good chuckle out of me.

I think it's good to have these sorts of thoughts. I think it's great to recognize some ass on the freeway that doesn't know how to use a turn signal while they've got a damn cell phone plaster to the side of their head. Or rude people in the pharmacy.

You know why? Because these feelings are real.

I didn't start on this Path to pretend or "act" like I am one thing while inside I'm really something quite different. I have a vision of what I want to be (skandhas or no) and it really doesn't do any good to live behind a facade. You know... like some of the Christians you may have known in your life who's entire veil of Christianity was just a facade - and they were miserable. Not to dis on Christians - this can happen with any belief.

I have feelings like you described quite a bit. Not as much as I used to but, instead of relishing in the fact that I told that dumbass off - I try to realize just what exactly is behind my rage or anger or pain or hurt and remember that these are just feelings. Just like happiness, joy, love, being kind are feelings too. When I look at my responses to people it, sometimes, allows me to recognize it and just let go of it.
    The person that cut me off or was rude to me - do they really play any importance in my life? Did they matter in my life mere minutes before I had a confrontation with them? No... not really. Not to say that they're not important - but that it was just an instance in time and eventually we might be able to just let these things go.

Maybe you need to lay off the metal. It does have the capability of raising one's aggression - especially if they're looking to blow off a little aggression. Maybe you should get the 2 cd set of the Carpenter's Greatest Hits.

It's good to see you back :)

-bf
    edited September 2006
    Ahem...

I thought I posted a thread on here to Jerbear - but it's not showing up...

So... it's probably going to wind up on some other thread and not make any sense at all.

But then... that's not unusual for me, is it?

Good to see you back Mr. Know-It-All. :)

-bf
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2006
    federica wrote:
    Anyone know any really good Rugby songs....?!

What is this rugby thing you keep going on about? :tonguec:

Palzang
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2006
    Jerbear wrote:
    Palzang,
    I didn't think anyone thought I knew everything, but I FELT that I should. That was the problem. Too much hitting at once. Good lesson. But, I decided to start sitting again. Nothing forced either!

Yeah, I know, Jer. That's the way our minds work. We create our own little realities/dramas based on nothing but our own misperceptions. Crazy, ain't we?

Recently my teacher told me to go on a diet and lose weight or I'd die. Of course, the crazy thing is I already knew that perfectly well. It's just the craziness of my sentient being mind that I have to be told something by an enlightened being that I already know before I'll hear it! It's crazy! And yes, I'm on the Atkins Diet and doing well.

But you're right also that it was a good lesson. Really the only way we ever learn anything is to have everything fall apart on us. It's truly the blessing of the guru. Otherwise we'd just sit around fat (in my case anyway) and happy and we'd never change, just keep revolving on the old Wheel...

Palzang
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    Maybe you should get the 2 cd set of the Carpenter's Greatest Hits.
    -bf

I'd also recommend this collection for anyone who doesn't believe in the hell realms. :eek:

Palzang
  • edited September 2006
    LOL Palzang! I was thinking the same thing.

Why don't you go get an Abba cd or something instead? ;)
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited September 2006
    The Carpenters hits?!

That would be a single wouldn't it?

(Actually I LOVE the Carpenters-although Karen was more like a splinter than anything....) Oh did I just write that?

Poor taste, sorry.
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited September 2006
    Speaking of Karen Carpenter, I had heard of an overweight female impersonator doing an impression of KC after her death. The impersonator was throwing Oreo cookies in the audience. A couple of the patrons got upset (gay men for ya!) and a fight broke out. FUN HUH?

Palzang,
    I'm doing low fat/low cal. I'M SO HUNGRY!!! I'm lying, I'm not. Be careful with Atkins though. I've talked with people who gained the weight right back after going off of it. Maybe because they ate like they were starving. I'm not sure.

And by the way, dear one. Why not walk a mile or two a day! That does help get weight off and keep it off! I'm starting back to it myself. We could be svelte together. Okay, this side of the good year blimp together.
    edited September 2006
    Palzang wrote:

I'd also recommend this collection for anyone who doesn't believe in the hell realms. :eek:

Palzang

Ha ha ha ha ha... me likey.

-bf
    edited September 2006
    Ack!

Don't talk to me about weight. I think that when I hit 39 - my metabolism went on strike. I'm working on getting back into the mindset of working out at lunch (after taking the summer off to be with my boy) and running 3 miles 3 times a week.

I still feel like I'm hauling a pony keg around with me.

-bf
  • edited September 2006
    Palzang wrote:

And yes, I'm on the Atkins Diet and doing well.

Palzang

Palzang...I agree with Jerry. Please be VERY careful with the Atkins diet. I do not recommend this diet to anyone! It's REALLY hard to stick with and most people do gain the weight back - and worse than before because once you start to eat carbs again, your body will store every bit of them because it needs carbs. I could go on and on....but I'll spare you! There are lots of other better "diets" out there!

Kim
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2006
    Yes, I know the Atkins Diet is controversial and some people have trouble with it. However, it was recommended by my lama who has had good success with it, so that's the one I'll do. If she recommended I eat nettles and broken glass, I'd do that too. Following the lama's instructions, whatever they may be, are much more important than weighing the pluses and minuses of the instruction. If you follow the instruction as best you can and right away, you'll always experience a good result. If you think it's a waste of time or whatever or hem-and-haw around, then the opportunity will be lost. That's just the way it works.

And no, she would never tell me to eat nettles and broken glass. I was just using that as an example. Though, come to think of it, Milarepa ate nettles, and he did all right! Turned green though...

Palzang
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2006
    Jerbear wrote:
    And by the way, dear one. Why not walk a mile or two a day! That does help get weight off and keep it off! I'm starting back to it myself. We could be svelte together. Okay, this side of the good year blimp together.

Unfortunately I have osteoarthritis in both knees, so that kind of limits walking. I have been taking glucosamine-chondroitin-MSM, and that has helped. As I lose weight that'll also help.

Palzang
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited September 2006
    YogaMama,
    I have Gold and More Gold by Abba. And if Palzang says he doesn't like them, I'm taking his little pink card away.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2006
    OK, where do I send it (the card, that is)? :cool:

Palzang
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited October 2006
    I'm so shocked, Palzang. Actually, I'm not. I never really thought much of Abba being a metal fan. Then I watched the Australian films "Muriel's Wedding" and "Priscilla, Queen of the Desert" and got hooked. So you may keep your card. You may be more spiritually developed and realize how crappy it is and I don't being blissfully ignorant of such facts.

Or you just might think they stink!
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited October 2006
    I have two interesting pieces of information for you.

Do you know who was Sid Vicious' favourite band?

I want you to all think about it, when I get a few replies I'll tell you all.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited October 2006
    Uh....Abba?
    edited October 2006
    Victor Sylvester, on 78 r.p.m. records.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited October 2006
    Simon,

My father has a huge collection of 78s that were handed down to him by his father. We got a bunch of them out recently and realized we had nothing to play them on so we had to go out and actually buy a turntable! What fun! I've never felt the same about records since everything's been switched over to tape and digital. Give me vinyl and a good turntable anyday. I'm still awaiting permission to go through the stacks and play them. lol!
    edited October 2006
    At home, as a boy, we did not get a machine capable of playing 45s, 33s or 16s (remember them?) until I was in my teens so I grew up with shellac and winding up the gramophone.

When I read this thread, I had a silly attack of the giggles at the thought of Sid Vicious having a secret passion for strict tempo ballroom dance music of the '40s and '50s!

BTW, I once borrowed from the local library and listened to, at one sitting, Wagner's Ring cycle on v-e-r-y long-playing records. That was a couple of weeks after we got the new gramophone (as we still called it).
    edited October 2006
    I wanna know who Sid's favorite band was.

-bf
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited October 2006
    Correct Brigid.

It was ABBA!
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited October 2006
    There are many ABBA fans around the world-really famous people as well. As evidenced by an unlikely Sid Vicious.

There was an element of percieved wankerism about fans of abba in the seventies-all of a sudden we're all friggin legends!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited October 2006
    If you listen to a fair portion of Abba music and maybe do a little research you'll find that they were actually consummate composers, musicians and producers. They're pop image is in stark contrast to the reality of their musical genius. I know, I can imagine many of you rolling your eyes but just listen to a couple of their songs and you'll hear near symphonic qualities to them. Check out "Waterloo" for instance. Among popular composers and songwriters of the 70's, Abba were held in very, very high esteem.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2006
    Bah, ABBA isn't even a good rhyme scheme!

Palzang the tone deaf
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited October 2006
    LOL!!
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited October 2006
    Well, I must share an ABBA memory then. My mom loved a few of their songs in the '70s. One of them is "I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do". One time she played it and asked me to dance with her. As an adolescent male, it was like "NO WAY, MOM!", but I gave in. Now it is one of my fondest memories of my mother.

Also, when Mike gets grumpy, I'll start singing it. I'm not sure if he laughs because my singing is horrible (which is definitely a possibility) or because he knows what that song means to me. And as pop music goes, they wrote good pop songs. Even though I'm a headbanger, I will give credit where credit is due.

Now on to the musical talents of Britney Spears........

Couldn't think of anything.
  • edited October 2006
    LOL!!!! I was just going to say: "I didn't realize that she had any!".
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited October 2006
    LOL!!

That's a beautiful story, Jerry!