Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Big Mind?

ZenshinZenshin VeteranEast Midlands UK Veteran
edited September 2013 in Philosophy
So I've been doing a lot of metta practice lately, particularly since I watched a bit of Bhikkhu Samahita's talk about it being a good antidote for depression and it works very well for me in that respect. While I was sitting this morning I started to become aware that the awareness that lies beneath the ego isn't limited by anything - its boundless. The strange thing is I can become aware of it and almost relax into it and feel myself letting go a bit and then oscillating back into the self.

Your thoughts on the subject are as always welcome.
MaryAnnelobstercvalueJeffrey

Comments

• Boundless eh? :clap:
    Who would have thought it? How many are familiar with it? A few more all the time no doubt . . .

Boundless indeed.
    And why not. Keep relaxing into it. Everything is fine. What you will need to do in time is make it more spacious, widen it. Allow it to settle first in its own time . . .
    It sounds like you are meditating, rather than having to deal with a mind bounding all over the boundaries . . .
    cptshrk
  • ZenshinZenshin Veteran East Midlands UK Veteran
    @lobster, are you familiar with Ajhan Sumedho's teachings on the sound of silence that high pitched singing sound that some meditators hear? It seems related to that if I tune to the sound of silence it feels vast.
  • @lobster, are you familiar with Ajhan Sumedho's teachings on the sound of silence that high pitched singing sound that some meditators hear? It seems related to that if I tune to the sound of silence it feels vast.

Not really. I read about it here:
    http://www.budsas.org/ebud/ebmed040.htm

I can here it now and I think it may be related to tinnitus.
    It may be that you are an auditory based person, I am visual based. So I might say, 'I SEE what you mean', wereas an auditory organised brain will say, 'I HEAR what you are saying. So TUNING in to what you are saying, is difficult for me as I have to SEE rather than HEAR vastness . . . :wave: