Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Legend of Abe.

Why do create heroes out of ordinary people?

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I would disagree that people like Lincoln are ordinary (though they are far from perfect people).
  • jlljll Veteran
    Lincoln was an ordinary man who made mistakes and had his fair share of prejudices.
  • Any person can accomplish great things, yet still be imperfect.
    The world is a very beautiful place, but yet, somewhere, at any time at all, there is something going 'wrong'...
    doesn't make the world any less beautiful as a whole.
    riverflow
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    jll said:

Lincoln was an ordinary man who made mistakes and had his fair share of prejudices.

I think this is an accurate assessment. Humans throughout history have deified leaders. "history" cannot be an unchanging thing, it is always changing and when new facts and perspectives arise they must be analyzed.
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited November 2013
    My first post in this thread was made before watching the video presented...

Then, after a time, I decided to go back and watch it. I stopped after the first 10 minutes or so. Not interested.
    I would give this presentation much more credence IF the groups and individuals speaking out against Lincoln (his policies and presidency) were more... shall we say.... 'diverse' -- and not members or leaders of anti-civil rights groups, anti-government groups, Tea-baggers and other confederate flag- waving nitwits.
    Their narrow-minded agenda negates their credentials as impartial critics of Lincoln. They are merely spinning things their way. Which is always what people do on any side of any issue.... spin it, and then try to convince the majority that their spin is the 'truth'.

And as for the few people of color jumping on the anti-Lincoln bandwagon in this video, it doesn't seem that they are complaining much about what he did or accomplished, (although some blamed Lincoln himself for 'starting the civil war'), but rather was he REALLY for equality, or merely a political opportunist?
    Who cares at this point, is what I say- the end results are the end results. Slavery ended, and our constitution was made/understood to uphold that change.
    The South (or at least some people in the South) just can't accept who 'won' and who 'lost'... this is another example of their mindset. JMO

• robotrobot Veteran
    edited November 2013
    Actually the video was more balanced than the first 10 minutes would have you believe. Slightly more balanced. In fact, at the end one of the women said pretty much what you just did. That he got the job done and you can't argue with success.
  • ^^ Well see? Then I didn't need to watch it to the end anyway. ;)
    half the country holds him up as a god, the other as satan, the truth is somewhere in between, as it always is.
    MaryAnne
  • Never hurts to hear both sides of the story.
    BhikkhuJayasara
    edited November 2013
    I'm about half way through now, wont be able to finish it before work. What I will say though is that so far I think this does a good job of presenting both sides. Lincoln DID trample over the constitution during the war, of course he is hardly solitary in doing so even up to today(Bush did it and Obama continues to ramp it up).

I also never learned in the history books the specifics about the complexity of slavery, like it hurting free white laborers(which got Lincoln into the issue in the first place) and there being a separation in thought between slavery and racial equality(which today seems absurd but makes perfect sense looking back considering it took nearly 100 more years for it to come). It's quite interesting.

There was also the one section where they read the words Lincoln said in a political debate, which to our ears today sound quite racist, but even the one guy says look at it through the context of the culture and debate back then and chalked the words up to political survival.

any time we look at history, we need to look at it through the lens of the time and culture of the time, we cannot do so by looking through our own lens.

I will finish this up later today.
    jll said:

No. Lincoln did not have the average level of accomplish of the average man. Hence, he was not ordinary.

MaryAnne
  • hermitwin said:

Why do create heroes out of ordinary people?

Aspiration. I found the documentary insightful. In the UK we don't hero worship in the same way. In fact we sometimes build up and then expose flaws to show the great and mighty are as flawed as us low life's (speaking of myself).

We build maverick rabbi carpenters into offspring of God, Prophets into unmentionable perfections, wayward princes into enlightened god teachers and bespectacled journalists into aliens from planet Krypton. What strange creatures we are.

I like my Buddhas to be human. Speaking as a wer-lobster I can aspire to be more human.

:D
    riverflow
  • lobster said:

In the UK we don't hero worship in the same way.

Certainly not politicians, usually.

No, the UK reserves its most toe-curling sycophancy for the royal family. And what a bunch of ordinary people they are.
  • poptart said:

lobster said:

No, the UK reserves its most toe-curling sycophancy for the royal family. And what a bunch of ordinary people they are.
    I was living in England during the Princess Diana's Royal Wedding when the entire country shut down and everyone had huge block parties. I imagine everything shut down again for the funeral.

We do elevate ordinary people into something more than human. Jung would say we look for examples of archetypes of the savior and noble warrior and so forth, and pound square pegs into the round holes of our collective psyche as needed.
    BhikkhuJayasaraMaryAnne
  • Lincoln was the American Gandhi (fully clothed, though).
  • Cinorjer said:

I was living in England during the Princess Diana's Royal Wedding when the entire country shut down and everyone had huge block parties. I imagine everything shut down again for the funeral.

The Diana phenomenon was extraordinary, at times approaching mass hysteria.
  • poptart said:

Cinorjer said:

The Diana phenomenon was extraordinary, at times approaching mass hysteria.
    Then again, she was a big deal in the US too-- I remember ALL three major networks pre-empted all their programs to televise her and Charles' wedding. I can understand celebrities based on what they do (though their talent may still be up to debate!) but not based on who you are.
  • riverflow said:

Then again, she was a big deal in the US too-- I remember ALL three major networks pre-empted all their programs to televise her and Charles' wedding. I can understand celebrities based on what they do (though their talent may still be up to debate!) but not based on who you are.

We live in an age where celebrities and public figures have taken on the role once filled by ancient gods, providing roll models whose lives are endlessly fascinating to the population at large. When Diana died people took to the streets in an unprecedented outpouring of public grief despite never having even met her. They identified so strongly with her it was as if they had lost a loved one. I don't think it matters who the object of this worship is, since people project an identity onto them anyway.
    riverflow
  • I have always found the Diana reverence fascinating.
    The Royal Family as a whole? Eh, not so much.
    But Diana.... come on... it's not hard to see. She is the Cinderella, the Snow White, and every other Disney style "princess" who came up from the lower levels of society because she won the heart of a Prince.

Diana's family may have had royal titles bestowed on relatives past, but in real life, she was "just a school teacher"; shy and reserved, attractive, but not exactly 'stunning'.

But she lived the fairy tale story nearly every little girl in England, America and most of Europe grew up on.
    I think she was very much resented by the Queen Mother... Diana was never quite 'good enough' and didn't have quite enough of the Blue Blood in her to make the QM really happy. But Q-Mother pursed her lips and muddled through!

Diana was miserable for most of her time as a Royal. The only joys she truly had were her two sons. She had broken away from the Royals and was just beginning to come into her own as an independent woman.... when it all ended.
    Again, (classic) tragedy befalls the (classic) heroine.
  • MaryAnne said:

I have always found the Diana reverence fascinating.
    The Royal Family as a whole? Eh, not so much.
    But Diana.... come on... it's not hard to see. She is the Cinderella, the Snow White, and every other Disney style "princess" who came up from the lower levels of society because she won the heart of a Prince.

Diana's family may have had royal titles bestowed on relatives past, but in real life, she was "just a school teacher"; shy and reserved, attractive, but not exactly 'stunning'.

But she lived the fairy tale story nearly every little girl in England, America and most of Europe grew up on.
    I think she was very much resented by the Queen Mother... Diana was never quite 'good enough' and didn't have quite enough of the Blue Blood in her to make the QM really happy. But Q-Mother pursed her lips and muddled through!

Diana was miserable for most of her time as a Royal. The only joys she truly had were her two sons. She had broken away from the Royals and was just beginning to come into her own as an independent woman.... when it all ended.
    Again, (classic) tragedy befalls the (classic) heroine.

All this proves is that you have swallowed the popular myth. Did you know her? No. How can you therefore know with such certainty that she was miserable or that she was resented by the Queen Mother? And more importantly, why do you care about a woman you never even met?

I guess the real question here is -- what is ordinary?

There have been a total of approximately 545,000,000 Americans throughout our history. And 44 presidents. Therefore, to say any president is an ordinary man is folly.

So I would say the thread topic needs to be refined.

Even if you just want to use the term "hero"...again, what exactly is that definition? And is it a narrow definition that all people can even agree on?
    MaryAnne
  • "All this proves is that you have swallowed the popular myth. Did you know her? No. How can you therefore know with such certainty that she was miserable or that she was resented by the Queen Mother? And more importantly, why do you care about a woman you never even met? "

Why are you assuming *I* swallowed the myth?
    I said I found the reverence for Diana fascinating. Not that I found Diana fascinating.
    You implied through your post you couldn't 'get' why people adored her, and then mourned her as if they knew her personally.

I was explaining to you what *I* thought some of the reasons would be. She representing something to them.... just like certain celebrities 'represent' something to people through the roles they choose, and the way they carry themselves through life.

Why would people around the world shed tears - yes, real tears - when the president is assassinated, or when thousands of 'strangers' were killed in the 9-11 attack? The day that the Dalai Lama dies, no matter by murder, accident, or old age... many people around the world will shed some tears. Yet they don't 'know' him personally.... it's what he represents to them that matters.

I don't know about you, but sometimes, when I see a news report about the loss of life and devastation I often cry - for a tragedy that touched no one I know.

Why do you seem so...... annoyed by it all?
    Would you rather humans felt no connection to others?
    vinlyn
  • MaryAnne said:

Why do you seem so...... annoyed by it all?
    Would you rather humans felt no connection to others?

I am not annoyed, and I don't know why you think so. I asked the questions to stimulate some reflection on the subject.

The death of any person is sad of course, but what interests me is why people identify with certain public figures to the extent that they treat their death like the death of a loved one. The near hysteria that followed Diana's death went far beyond empathy. That in itself gives pause for thought.
    betaboy
  • poptart said:

lobster said:

Indeed.
    The last politician to achieve mythic status was Guido Fawkes, the renowned anti parliamentarian and crypto terrorist. A man dedicated to profound change of the political criminal class. Mind you I believe he wanted to promote the 'Divine Right' of Kings and Dalai Lamas to misrule.
  • That is the beauty of the American system , ordinary people can become president. Even george w bush.

vinlyn said:

I guess the real question here is -- what is ordinary?

There have been a total of approximately 545,000,000 Americans throughout our history. And 44 presidents. Therefore, to say any president is an ordinary man is folly.

So I would say the thread topic needs to be refined.

Even if you just want to use the term "hero"...again, what exactly is that definition? And is it a narrow definition that all people can even agree on?

But if they reach that level of accomplishment, then they're not ordinary. Definition -- "what is commonplace or standard".

Maybe for some who want to think people like Washington or Jefferson or Lincoln or FDR were just "ordinary" men, it's just jealousy. They live their ordinary lives doing their ordinary jobs and accomplish little of lasting value beyond their own and their family's existence.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Cinorjer said:

Yes, it wasn't a good time to be a republican.
    ;)
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    lobster said:

But there is the awful cult of celebrity.
  • Contemplating the lives of both Lincoln and Diana (what a juxtaposition), I find I think of their works more than their personal frailties. Lincoln may have wished mightily that the slavery question was not on his plate, yet he dealt with it, kept the Union together and in the end abolished slavery. Diana seemed a fatuous fashion-plate with no talent for marriage, but she brought attention (turning the tide of compassion) to those stricken with AIDS. Wasn't she the first to embrace or kiss a child with AIDS, publicly, or something to that effect. Her causes weren't popular or easy ones. By their works ye should know them.
    MaryAnnevinlynriverflow