Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Currently studying Buddhism & Wicca

I ' m currently studying both, I've always have been drawn in by both and I love to learn so I choose to challenge myself. I was baptized Catholic as an infant, I have children of my and believe that they should be given the choice to find their own spiritual path. I refused to inflict, subject them to anything that will mold them into closed minded individuals.
Wicca is splendidly surprising me and I don't know if it 's just my perspective view but I find many similarities, and the combination of what I take in as an individual is really helping me find the sense of peace that I've been searching for within myself.

Comments

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited December 2013
    Hi :)

What similarities? Do you mean Catholic altar work or Buddhist spell craft?
  • No, Not Catholic, I would not be paying either Buddhism or Wicca a compliment in anyway if I were.
    Similarities in Buddhism & Wicca and the respect they have for all living things, all of nature is relative. Everything has it's life force ( energy). In Buddhism enlightenment is to reach that state of Narvana; which is the 5th element in Wicca (Infinite Space), was you finally go through the different plans (reincarnation) and have not faltered, learn all, respect the balance you finally reach that place from where life begins and your energy if it is pure, I believe we move forward to another astro-plane.
    Again I'm only expressing my view from what I've studied thus far on both, and I'm only a year in Buddhism and a month in Wicca. My catholic mother wouldn't allow me to explore.
    sova
  • Understood.
    Watch out for the Catholic crone tendency to roast hedge witches, which you seem to be. You might find being a dakini suits your magical dharma aspirations . . .
    :clap:

I have not yet found the flight manual for the existing Astro Plane. ;)
    FullCircleNiesje
  • BarraBarra soto zennie wandering in a cloud in beautiful, bucolic Victoria BC, on the wacky left coast of Canada Veteran
    The place where I live is a hotbed of Wiccans. When I ran for a seat on our city council many years ago I swear that I won because I had a coven casting spells for me! It is not inconsistent with Buddhism, but doctrinally they are quite different. I think that Wicca is more consistent with Native American earth- based religions.
    Wifemomstudent74MaryAnneInvincible_summer
  • @ Lobster, Yes, I am a solitary practitioner. I live in FL....Surrounded by Christian's; Wicca not to popular here, and the closes Buddhist Monastery is over an hour away.
  • @ Barra, I agree. Yet, Buddhism is up there amongst Earth-Nature based as Wicca & Native beliefs. Many believe Buddha was a Vegan and wasn't, he like the Natives believed in only taking to sustain life and not to be cruel, but to honor the cycle of life.
  • Art piece I'm working on
    MaryAnnesova
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Barra said:

I think that Wicca is more consistent with Native American earth- based religions.

Interesting. Does Wicca work with the 4 elements ( earth, wind, fire, water ), that might be a point of similarity with Buddhism?
  • Surrounded by Christian's; Wicca not to popular here, and the closes Buddhist Monastery is over an hour away.

:wave:

I am surrounded too, we have local covens, monastics, Christians etc.

Fortunately we can now also gain contact through the internet. For example you will find some friendly Wicca practitioners on SecondLife along with Buddhist groups.

Wifemomstudent74
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

Barra said:

I think that Wicca is more consistent with Native American earth- based religions.

Interesting. Does Wicca work with the 4 elements ( earth, wind, fire, water ), that might be a point of similarity with Buddhism?
    I think they have 5 elements. earth, wind, fire, water and "spirit".

Wiccan morality is interesting. It seems to center on not causing any harm. Definitely compatible with Buddhism in that regard. :) They also have beliefs that are similar to karma in "whatever benevolent or malevolent actions a person performs will return to that person with triple force." Kinda similar to karma, somewhat. :)

MaryAnne
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited December 2013
    @Wifemomstudent74

I was a (Dianic) Wiccan for a long long time. Waaay before it became 'hot-n-trendy' in the 1990s. Founded an eclectic coven and even taught Wicca for a time.
    I was also exposed to Buddhist beliefs as a teen and always managed, quite nicely, to incorporate some Buddhism into my Wiccan practice.

It was working for me up until several years ago - when I had become disillusioned with Paganism, and I realized that I needed to evolve further along my personal path. I needed to shed the religious/ritual/magickal thinking, and commit wholly to (Secular) Buddhism.
    Very happy now, totally feel this is where I need to be....

Invincible_summersovaNiesjeanataman
  • Intriguing, Wifemom and MaryAnne. Makes me wonder if part of the attraction of Buddhism for some is its novelty compared to the primarily Christian culture. I suspect that's part of it for me: "Think Different." Do you find yourself interested in other non-mainstream pursuits? I do.
  • What is the purpose of the wiccan? What goals do they promote? Are they cohesive?
    Are they insulated? Are they like Aliester Crowley-the beast who wants power for self and promotes some pretty strange ways to accomplish? Would you please explain?
  • @ SteveB, Buddhism is novelty for some as with all things; it can be a just a temporary trend for some, but I'm a child of the 70's and my Dad was a big hippie type ( despite his Catholic up bringing) It was he who molded me to the open minded individual Iam today, he was the first to introduce me to Buddha, He said Buddha was not a god just a man who was just pure at heart and like our Native relatives believed in the circle of life.
    Wicca was introduced to me by a friend in H.S. It was a Fad for her, goth clothes and all, but even then I was drawn to it sincerely but I lost my Dad young and surrounded by Hypocritical catholic mother , so it's now as an adult that it has recently been reintroduced into my life and it's in sincerity that I devote my time & energy in my studies in both. Combined they are finally giving me the sense of peace and whole-ness.
    I have an associates degree in Healthcare, I worked in the Medical field for over 14 years, someone referred to me as a "Hedge Witch", funny how what I do for a living is so relative by definition.
    sova
  • MaryAnne said:

@Wifemomstudent74

I was a (Dianic) Wiccan for a long long time. Waaay before it became 'hot-n-trendy' in the 1990s. Founded an eclectic coven and even taught Wicca for a time.
    I was also exposed to Buddhist beliefs as a teen and always managed, quite nicely, to incorporate some Buddhism into my Wiccan practice.

It was working for me up until several years ago - when I had become disillusioned with Paganism, and I realized that I needed to evolve further along my personal path. I needed to shed the religious/ritual/magickal thinking, and commit wholly to (Secular) Buddhism.
    Very happy now, totally feel this is where I need to be....

I'm happy to hear you're in a better place, That is exactly what I am searching for and again I think that my studies in both are helping me be a better me...I am learning to let go of inner demons and replacing them with what brings me comfort.

Both teach that, Buddhism has the 8 Fold Path & Wicca has the 13 Goals some are similar in context.
    sovaMaryAnne
  • Barra said:

Yes, It does and the 5 which is hardly ever mentioned is Infinite Space...In Buddhism is Nirvana
  • Maybe this thread would be better off in the "Comparing Religions" area? Seems like it might be somewhat confusing for someone "new" to Buddhism....
    BhikkhuJayasara
  • Perhaps, but I suspect many who are new to Buddhism have traveled these exact same paths.
    Niesje
  • Wifemom, we've traveled partly parallel paths. I grew up in the 60's/70's but my Dad was definitely not a hippie-type. He was an ex-military, conservative, airline pilot, but I naturally gravitated toward the arts and free expression. I learned about Buddhism in a comparative religion class in college in the 70's, and it resonated with me (as does Hinduism, a little bit). I worked for many years as a paramedic in a very busy ER/Level 1 Trauma Center, though I no longer work in the medical field at all (doesn't keep me from having intense opinions about healthcare reform, though).
  • Thank you for your answer. Very well. Well, if pagan means prior to Christian than I guess Buddhism would be pagan. If it means religion connected to the Earth I don't think so and if Pagan means worshipping many Gods then definitely not. Buddhists don't worship any Gods. Pagan is a sort of multi-use word. Wicca seems interesting.
    I am a devout Buddhist so I won't be switching over but I wish you the best in your dual
    devotions.
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    Thanks for opening up my eyes to Wicca, I just had funky thoughts about it since i never really investigated what it was about for myself -- it seems that the core principles form a solid foundation for spiritual practice and living. rejoicing in the wholesome and healthy paths of all involved =)

is there a focus on self-reflection and training like there is in the buddha's teachings?

Barra said:

Yes, It does and the 5 which is hardly ever mentioned is Infinite Space...In Buddhism is Nirvana
    In the suttas there are references to the 6 elements, ie earth, wind, fire, water, consciousness and space - some Buddhists use this as a structure for meditation. I think this is quite a useful way of looking at the "world".
    Wifemomstudent74
    MaryAnne said:

Basic Beliefs of Wicca:

* The Divine is present in nature, and so nature should be honored and respected. Everything from animals and plants to trees and rocks are elements of the sacred. You'll find that many practicing Wiccans are passionate about the environment.

*The Divine has polarity -- both male and female. In most paths of Wicca, both a god and goddess are honored.

*The Divine is present in all of us. We are all sacred beings, and interaction with the gods is not limited just to the priesthood or a select group of individuals.

Interesting stuff. How do think about the "Divine"?
  • I don't consider Buddhism as a pagan religion, as A matter of fact I don't consider Wicca or Buddhism as religions but more a way of life, just respectful spiritual choices...I just can relate to both & Native American spiritual beliefs above all else.
    Hamsaka
    edited December 2013
    ^^ Well, many people claim their religions are not really religions, just "a way of life"... but in fact they are religions, by definition. ::: shrugs:::

As for Buddhism being a pagan religion, it does fit most of the criteria.
    And there is a Buddhist pantheon of gods as well. They may not be "worshiped" like other religion's gods or as the Christian God is 'worshiped', but they are prayed to, offerings are made to them, and rituals honor them.
    With the volumes upon volumes of suttras / suttas and all the cultural traditions adhered to for thousands of years, and the fact that it's not Christianity, Islam or Judaism, I think it's safe to say, in general, Buddhism in its non-secular entirety, is a 'pagan religion'.
    Invincible_summer
  • Some follow that Wicca historically predates Christianity, and others follow that it is a modern religious movement that has established specific organized religious practices based upon speculative ideas regarding the religious practices of disparate cultures that have long since vanished without leaving detailed descriptions of those practices.
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited December 2013
    Silouan said:

Some follow that Wicca historically predates Christianity, and others follow that it is a modern religious movement that has established specific organized religious practices based upon speculative ideas regarding the religious practices of disparate cultures that have long since vanished without leaving detailed descriptions of those practices.

It's both.. the roots are very ancient, the "religion" is fairly modern.

As for the topic at hand, back in my "student of all religions, practitioner of none" days I studied some Wicca and have some wiccan friends to this day. I'm not sure I can see a grand comparison between the two traditions, but I can see how someone could take parts of both and meld them together.
    edited December 2013
    @Silouan
    I don't know of anyone with at least the most basic knowledge of Wicca who claims it's anything other than a specific, "modern" (1950's) tradition encompassing a compilation of parts from a few different pre-Christian Pagan traditions; generally from the western areas of Europe.
    If I hear someone say "Wicca predates Christianity" I have to assume they've got almost no clue what Wicca is, or is confusing it with "Paganism" because it's a pagan tradition.

SilouanEvenThird
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    MaryAnne said:

encompassing a compilation of parts from a few different pre-Christian Pagan traditions

Not sure if you are agreeing with my statement or saying I have no clue what I'm talking about, but this is what I meant by ancient roots.
    edited December 2013
    Jayantha said:

MaryAnne said:

encompassing a compilation of parts from a few different pre-Christian Pagan traditions

Not sure if you are agreeing with my statement or saying I have no clue what I'm talking about, but this is what I meant by ancient roots.
    LOL Sorry!! Your comment popped up between my comment and Silouan's. I edited my comment (took out the ^^ ) and clarified it to speak directly to Silouan!
  • OP, I have been drawn to paganism recently myself, and am yet to find anything that suggests it's incompatible with my Buddhist practice. :) For me, there is nothing evil or grasping about it (Crowley does not represent the nicer parts of it, that's for sure. And he died broke and addicted to drugs). Just a respect for nature and a desire to live a simple life and have a connection to the earth and my fellow beings, both human and animal. I'm vegan as well, so that respect for animals comes naturally to me. It's not something I have to work on.
    MaryAnne
  • @MaryAnne Thanks for sharing your insight.

I can relate, as I make a similar assessment when I hear what others claim Christians supposedly believe or not that is contrary to the common faith of the fathers and mothers of the Church.
    MaryAnne
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    Just my individual take on it after reading what everyone has contributed to this thread; a 'spiritual' path ought to be naturally inclusive, not exclusive. What sense is there in picking n' choosing which spontaneously occurring phenomenon in this great wide world is exclusive to Buddhists, Hindus, Christians or Wiccans? It's nonsensical to be a Buddhist, and keep certain 'things' out because 'they aren't Buddhist', I mean, who gets to decide?

If another human being, even a venerable Teacher decides for you, you are abdicating your personal responsibility to check it all out for yourself (as Buddha told the Kalamas).

Chopping up this great wide world into bits and pieces of 'not Buddhist' (for instance) is IMO indulging in our monkey mind's predilection for dualism THUS missing half or more of the damn picture! I wasn't there when Gotama wandered the world (or others like him) teaching (well, maybe I was lol, hmmm) but taking his teachings as a whole, they encouraged inclusivity as a frame of mind.

Even the poor, misunderstood Jesus taught inclusivity. I'm sure he's bald as an egg by now, tearing out the last of his hair over some of his buttheaded followers centuries ago.

Like @Jayantha I was a student of religion practicer of none from my teens until my recent commitment to focus upon the Buddhist path. I remember reading about the Christian mystics in particular, and in my current study of suttas and Buddhist teachings, when it comes to the Divine (be it ultimately sacred or ultimately mundane) all well fleshed out religious paths who birthed mystics tell us just about the same thing.

Perhaps we are all winding up the same mountain peak but from far distant valleys and foothills. We'll all arrive on the same summit having 'path'd' different ways, and maybe wearing different traditional garb.

Along the way, there will be plateaus with groups INSISTING they've reached the summit, there's no where else to go, they've found the Truth and if you leave them you'll surely fall down the mountain or be eaten by predators or have your soul sucked out to dare leave them behind and go further up.

There are Buddhist plateaus, Christian plateaus, Jain, Jewish, Secular, Atheist, Agnostic plateaus (imagine the Agnostic plateau . . . people be hanging from ropes above and below, comfortably 'nowhere' but doubting it). Reaching a plateau after lonely mountain climbing can sure be a relief, it's no wonder many stay once they hear "this is it! Your travails are over!"

Those who seem to get the the summit and send word down . . . they sound the same to me. If we humans are not truly individual, then it's likely religious or spiritual beliefs -- supremely human -- are not truly separate, in essence, either :)

Gassho :)
    lobsterJainarayan
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2013
    @wifemomstudent74, nirvana is not space. It could be but there is a lot more to it than Nirvana being a composite fiber of the world. Nirvana is losing grasping. This includes non-grasping towards mental states where space is present. Thus the idea that Nirvana is space requires some unpacking. But Nirvana has a quality of space but I wouldn't say Nirvana IS space because all 6 (earth etc) are qualities of awareness.

However, there are five Buddha energies and space corresponds to "wanting to be"

The other four Buddha energies are: vajra - wanting to know, ratna - wanting it all, padma - wanting to feel, and karma - wanting to do.

But in general the awareness is the nirvana rather than the EXPERIENCE. Since space refers to an experience it is only passing. That said there is always a quality of space to awareness. There is openness (like space), clarity, and sensitivity.

In conclusion, space as an EXPERIENCE is not Nirvana but space as a dimension of awareness could be nirvana.

Undoubtedly the space as a category of composite reality is NOT Nirvana. And space as an experience such as the space jhana is not the space of Nirvana.

Space as a quality of awareness which is never gone IS also a quality of Nirvana.

So I agree and disagree.
    Jeffrey said:

And space as an experience such as the space jhana is not the space of Nirvana.

Yes, the experience of infinite space is the 1st form-less jhana, not Nirvana. And space as one of the 6 elements is effectively the absence of form, again not Nirvana.
  • Hamsaka said:

...a 'spiritual' path ought to be naturally inclusive, not exclusive. What sense is there in picking n' choosing which spontaneously occurring phenomenon in this great wide world is exclusive to Buddhists, Hindus, Christians or Wiccans? It's nonsensical to be a Buddhist, and keep certain 'things' out because 'they aren't Buddhist', I mean, who gets to decide?

There is a raging debate on another forum about picking and choosing elements from different religions. The original poster asked if one could practice multiple religions at the same time. My answer is a qualified 'yes'. There are elements of all religions that have a common basis. Being the theist (actually, deist) I am, I subscribe to prisca theologia. There is cross-pollination of religions, spiritual paths and philosophies all over Asia and the Middle East, even into Europe. Zeus and Dyaus Pitr (the ancient pre-Vedic deity) are cognate in name and function. In short I think one should choose elements of religions that are meaningful to oneself, and further spiritual growth. There's too much dogma in the world.
    MaryAnne

• This may be a really weird analogy, but to me, blending two (or more) different religions or traditions is like ... well... breeding dogs.

You have two different, long-established, very beautiful breeds.
    One dog is an exceptional runner, one dog has exceptional scenting skills. Can't make up your mind, so you find someone who breeds these two types of dogs together, with the idea you'll get the best skills from each dog in one. :)

Sometimes it really works! Sometimes it doesn't, but let's go with it working. :)

A pup is born and it grows into a fast running dog with excellent scenting/hunting skills. Woohoo!
    OK, it's not as pleasing to look at; most of the well-known identifying markings, coat, muscle tone and structure of each breed is now blending into something... well.... different.
    Is it "bad" just because it's different from the two originals?
    Some say "yes" ... some say "no". (I'm on the fence, myself)

Now more and more breeds are blended and mixed and matched.
    Eventually, you'll come up with pups that aren't even recognizable as coming from any of the old specific breeds.
    Well, then they become their own breed! What's wrong with that?
    Some people say "nothing"... some say "everything".
    (I'm on the fence, myself)

Soon everyone wants a "designer dog"... specifically bred between 2 or 3 or 4 chosen breeds according to what traits one wants pick and choose to develop.

After a time, all the old, long-standing traditional breeds - that took many, many (dog) generations to 'perfect' - disappear, and all we are left with is a mish-mash of mutts... I mean... 'designer dogs', all with new health issues, defects and behavioral problems, etc. that need to be worked/bred out.

Ultimately, was it worth it?
    Some will say "yes"... some will say "no". (I'm on the fence, myself)

Soon, all our individual, time-honored religious and cultural traditions will be blended into a mish-mash of 'designer cultures' and 'designer religions.'

All the old ways will be lost: All the traditional foods & religious feasts, holy days, cultural dress, all the gods & goddesses will be mixed and matched, all the culturally specific ceremonies and rites will be blended into a chaotic confusion of .... whatever.
    So things that stayed the same, for literally thousands of years, with only the most minor adjustments along the way for 'modern' interpretations and our technological world, will all change -drastically- in a couple of hundred years or so. Wow.

Is this ok? Is this just the natural progression that can't be avoided?
    Some will say yes...some will say no.

Sometimes I think it's the worst thing that can happen culturally and religiously, and other times I think - hey, that's the inevitable future (of religions and cultural traditions). So I'm still on the fence....
    Invincible_summer
  • matthewmartinmatthewmartin Amateur Bodhisattva Suburbs of Mt Meru Veteran
    The Wiccan rede has some similarities to ahimsa (non-harm). A brief google shows that the Wiccans have the same epic arguments about v*ganism as the Buddhist do-- if you want an arguement for Buddhist v*ganism, read Phelp's "The Greatest Compassion", if you want an argument against Buddhist v*ganism there are many persuasive blog posts on the net, many made more persuasive by the sheer anger, rage and fury that they martial to make their point.

At one point I read a lot about American Asatru/Heathenism (which borrowed liberally from Wikkanism & sort of has overlapping audiences)-- and in the compare-contrast the noted that the Wiccan Rede (if it is indeed the only ethical rule), is a pretty anemic moral system, 1 rule away from moral nihilism. (However, none of these, including Buddhism entail Abhrahamic-like rule systems, i.e. rules written by some god that you just have to follow because, well, god)

Another similarity between *American* (and maybe European?) Wicca, Asatru and Buddhism is the urge to figure out what the ancient thought-- Wicca is derived from scholarship about pre-Christian traditions (sometimes bad scholarship) and a good chunk of US Buddhists are trying to figure out what "paleo-Buddhism" was, because you keep hitting these chapters in the books about Zorastrianism, Bon, Hinduism, Shinto, Chinese ancester worship and so on mixed in with Buddhism. For some the mixing is just super, for me, well, that stuff is why I'm not a Christian, so why should I bother with the historically recent mix-ins.
    MaryAnne
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    Maybe the traditional distinctions only get lost at the summit, within the individual?

We are so nostalgic . . . when I thought about the blurring and disappearance of grand old traditions into modern mish mash it felt like a huge loss, too.

What an example of impermanence!

Re: breeding dogs; I had dairy goats for several years (now *stolen* by my daughters) and their breeding was quite an ornate thing, with breed standards, milk production and lactation lengths. I did a lot of research during that time and found the downside of intense breeding for characteristics was stupid goats, goats prone to every worm and parasite, prone to birthing issues, deadly vitamin deficiencies and so on. I'm sure it's the same for 'overbreeding' the dogs, isn't it Boston Terriers who can't give birth normally, must have C sections?

Either extreme gets us into hot water; meaning lost in mish mash, overindulgence and lack of focus, and dissipation of the beautiful and sacred versus inbreeding, weakness, rigidity and no forward growth.

Gassho :)
    MaryAnne

There is a raging debate on another forum about picking and choosing elements from different religions. The original poster asked if one could practice multiple religions at the same time. My answer is a qualified 'yes'. There are elements of all religions that have a common basis.

I think it can be difficult trying to make sense of conflicting belief systems. On the other hand a pragmatic exploration of spiritual practices from different traditions could well be worthwhile.
    BhikkhuJayasara
  • My great grandmother was a Buddhist Wiccan. I've never met another one. I dabbled in Wicca a bit when I was young and thought it looked cool, but it just doesn't feel right. But I've always considered myself a Buddhist just because of her influence, but I was never really a "practicing Buddhist" until recently. She made it work rather well, it felt right to her. Mainly, she focused on working ritual into her daily life. She prayed to different Buddhas and she was devoted to Athena. I hope it works as well for you as it did her.
  • I think it can be difficult trying to make sense of conflicting belief systems. On the other hand a pragmatic exploration of spiritual practices from different traditions could well be worthwhile.

Yes, I agree.
  • I ' m currently studying both, I've always have been drawn in by both and I love to learn so I choose to challenge myself. I was baptized Catholic as an infant, I have children of my and believe that they should be given the choice to find their own spiritual path. I refused to inflict, subject them to anything that will mold them into closed minded individuals.
    Wicca is splendidly surprising me and I don't know if it 's just my perspective view but I find many similarities, and the combination of what I take in as an individual is really helping me find the sense of peace that I've been searching for within myself.

Sometimes when we are at peace, we'll see that a religion or any other ideology at all has similarities with our thoughts.