Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Shame - how to deal with it?

Shame is a terrifying emotion - you feel like the ground could swallow you, your body revolts, some people have even killed themselves.

This emotion is very powerful. How to deal with it? Note that I am not talking about regret/guilt.

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    1. Examine the shame. Is it justified? What led up to it? How could you have acted differently? How did it arise from your belief system?

2. Put it in perspective. Where does it belong in the scheme of your everyday life and your view of who you are?

3. Are there things you can do to undo, or at least mitigate, the situation as it affected others and yourself.

4. How do you get beyond it?
    BhikkhuJayasaraDaftChrisInvincible_summer
  • I'm not sure I've ever experienced just shame without regret and guilt. Let me think of things I've felt ashamed for:

1. Lying
    2. Avoiding paying child maintenance.
    3. Stealing
    4. Having affairs which led to a divorce.

Probably lots of other stuff. I don't feel shame for them now because where possible I've tried to make amends to those I've harmed. And I have modified my behaviour and also do my best to practise compassion which gives me a different concept of myself than I used to have.

If this is you that's feeling ashamed of something, can you find a trusted friend and discuss it with them? Getting another perspective on a problem is always a good thing to do.
    zenffrobot
  • Tosh said:

I'm not sure I've ever experienced just shame without regret and guilt.

Me neither. What kind of shame are you referring to, @betaboy?
  • You have some solid advice already betaboy, but just our of curiosity why are all of your threads negative? Is life that full of suffering for you? If it is I would consider it a very fertile soil to grow in, to know suffering fully is a great teaching in itself.
    vinlyn
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited December 2013
    It depends - I think – on what the reason is for being so ashamed.
    But one point of attention must be the size or the importance of whatever is the reason to be ashamed.
    “Some people have even killed themselves”? Who knows, but they were certainly overreacting!

The person who’s ashamed – very likely -is blowing things out of proportion. Test what people think about what you (or someone else) is so ashamed about. Good chance they hardly noticed it. People tend to have enough problems of their own and basically don’t care. :)

There is a huge danger of projecting. I can put my judgment on myself into other people’s heads.
    So maybe don’t be too hard on yourself to begin with and then don’t fill in what other people think and feel.

Remedy one is; loving yourself a little bit more. And remedy two is not projecting thoughts and feeling in other peoples’ heads. Ask them if you must, but don’t fill it in for yourself.

Hope that helps?
    jae
  • I am not at all familiar with it. However, I suggest staying away. It sounds horrible.
    Of course the way to do that is to practice the Paramitas. Stay cool.
  • poptart said:

Tosh said:

I don't see how guilt and shame are even remotely connected. Let's say you're fat and people around you make comments - you may feel ashamed of your body. Or if you're poor and rich folks around you say things - you may feel ashamed. And so on.
  • betaboybetaboy Veteran
    edited December 2013

You have some solid advice already betaboy, but just our of curiosity why are all of your threads negative? Is life that full of suffering for you? If it is I would consider it a very fertile soil to grow in, to know suffering fully is a great teaching in itself.

A vale of tears ... that's what existence is. So I am trying religion (not just Buddhist religion) to go beyond it.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    betaboy said:

A vale of tears ... that's what existence is. So I am trying religion (not just Buddhist religion) to go beyond it.

Really? How much time do you spend crying? (And that is a serious question).

• betaboy said:

poptart said:

Tosh said:

I don't see how guilt and shame are even remotely connected. Let's say you're fat and people around you make comments - you may feel ashamed of your body. Or if you're poor and rich folks around you say things - you may feel ashamed. And so on.
    In both those examples you are choosing to feel shame. There is nothing inherently shameful about how you look or how much money you have.
  • poptart said:

betaboy said:

poptart said:

Tosh said:

In both those examples you are choosing to feel shame. There is nothing inherently shameful about how you look or how much money you have.
    I'm trying to think of a time when it would not be a choice to feel shame if what you are saying is true.
    Sometimes rape victims feel shame. They haven't done anything wrong but the feelings remain.
    You could say that it is their choice to feel that way. It doesn't make it better though.
  • It's the mismatch between what we think should be and what is. The should be is an illusion, a projection of our clinging mind, and that is the source of our suffering.
    robotMaryAnneTosh
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    Learn from it but let it go
  • Learn from it but let it go

Basically this, short and sweet but damn true. Sometimes we learn from our mistakes after making them one time, other times it may require 100 mistakes of the same thing, but you should learn eventually.

I have some shame from last night, I went to a gathering with many people and I got really really drunk and at the end of the night got into a fight with an old friend. So today I had to deal with the regret and shame, make amends, say sorry etc and move on. What's done is done and the only thing you can change is what you will do next.

poptart
  • This emotion is very powerful.
    Pah! I have had more powerful for breakfast, along with my four shredded wheat.
    Conflicted emotive states are natural arisings from agitation aka distress aka a duck called dukkha.
    Abuse and use your shame, shamelessly. Don't you intend to make use of all these powerful feelings to become 'borne free'? Shame on you.

PS. don't kill yourself, that would be a shame :o