Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Quantum physics proves that there IS an afterlife, claims scientist...

BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
edited December 2013 in General Banter
Physics is like magic to my mind, but I'm like Forest Gump when it comes to mathmatics lol, it amazes me how people can use physics and math equations to come up with stuff like a multi-verse...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2503370/Quantum-physics-proves-IS-afterlife-claims-scientist.html

Robert Lanza claims the theory of biocentrism says death is an illusion
He said life creates the universe, and not the other way round
This means space and time don't exist in the linear fashion we think it does
He uses the famous double-split experiment to illustrate his point
And if space and time aren't linear, then death can't exist in 'any real sense' either

This statement should be interesting with regards to the concept of rebirth, and reminds me of Einstien's comment about energy not being destroyed, just changed.

Lanza, instead, said that when we die our life becomes a 'perennial flower that returns to bloom in the multiverse.'

If I don't reach the deathless in this life, maybe it's off to another universe for me, hopefully I can practice dhamma there :P.
sovaEvenThirdcvalue

Comments

• DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    Anything's possible I suppose, but I'm pretty skeptical of this finding; since the sentence is "Quantum Physics proves...", instead of "Quantum Physics could indicate...".
    lobster
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    On the one hand, I think it's an interesting perspective to take. One reason is that being open to ideas like biocentrism helps to open us up to different possibilities, keeping us from having theoretical blinders on which themselves can make us see what we want to see, or else what we're conditioned by the ruling ideology to see. On the other, these kinds of articles often exhibit a lack of understanding when it comes to stuff like quantum mechanics, and overstates (and even misstates) certain concepts to make their points, undermining their usefulness.
    vinlynlobsterZero
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    I've always been bad with big equations but fascinated with the multiverse ideas.

@Jayantha, have you ever read The Dancing Wu Li Masters by Gary Zukav or The Tao of Physics by Fritjof Capra?

They're a little dated but still fairly relevant.
  • Yeah well that experiment-repeated many times, over several centuries is pretty amazing. I think what it shows is that we still don't understand some pretty deep down stuff. Right now physics is flying blind and deaf. Using math as an (algorithm) to tweak experimental evidence is a dead end-it's not honest. Drawing conclusions from a mystery just makes more mystery. And this stuff sure is mysterious-every time you hit a zero your data runs out to infinity.

And, I would like to point out that inherent emptiness means whatever you the person
    are carrying around with you now, that is going to end up as just more goo in the paste.
    So Maybe awareness is universal (I think it is) and maybe it is eternal (I think it is),
    but that is no reason to think the person who is me is going to be around when this body evaporates. That Science-really just conjecture-certainly doesn't prove that I, as a person with this mind, am going to be around tomorrow.

I recommend sticking with the basic books and basic techniques and maintaining
    composure about wild tangents-they can get mean and misleading.
    And yes I know that Einstein thought nothing ever dies so immortality of something makes sense. But he didn't conjecture what that something might be. I read Albert's
    books between 1963-68 and he didn't guess about that-wisely. But he looked and I suggest meditation is a good way to do that.
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    edited December 2013
    The daily mail has a poor reputation in the UK for reporting news.
    Lanza has a book out.
    The headline and article are probably deemed the best way to sell to the daily mail's target audience.
    Dennis1federicaTheEccentric
  • The headline is terrible.
    The article isn't much better.
    If there is an afterlife, the Daily Mail is not how we'll find it.
    Dennis1DairyLamafedericaTheEccentric