Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I think my house is haunted...

Let's just start off by saying I never believed in this kind of stuff, but some weird things have been happening the last month in my house. Every night, somewhere after 12 I start hearing "pops" and cracks in the house.

It seems to have a pattern too and appears to go from room to room. At first I thought this was just the house adjusting due to the temperature change at night, but it seems to influence electronic devices around it as well. Like a few nights ago I was listening to the radio and each time it simultaneously switched off when there was one of these "pops" in the room. Like that sound was zapping energy. This also happens with the TV where it will randomly loose signal and I just get white noise.

Just this night I was watching TV with my dad downstairs, and the light's in the kitchen automatically turned on... He was shocked and didn't know what to think, I was just glad finally someone else noticed something strange lol. Anyway these strange noises seem to be happening every single night. Footsteps, objects being moved slightly, even right next to my head as I'm trying to sleep.

I never believed in this stuff but I'm actually a little scared, I really am fishing for obvious explanations for these things but I'm running out of things to explain it. To make it all a little bit more creepy, our parrot has learned a new word recently and it's none of our voices but sounds like a child saying: "hey...". Starting to feel like I'm in a cheap hollywood horror movie.

Comments

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2013
    Cool! Clearly, there's an electromagnetic component to this phenomenon. Did you move into this place recently? Or have you been there for years, and this just started up suddenly, recently? That's a little freaky, though, that it gets close to your head when you're trying to sleep. Does the parrot react in any way when these phenomena are occurring? Animals can be very sensitive to these things.

There are people who know how to chase something like this away. (You have nothing to lose by trying, except the fee they charge.) I wonder if there's a way to measure the energy the thing is putting out? That would be cool. I like to try to get proof of things like this. Is there some kind of meter that could measure the electrical energy in the atmosphere of the room? What if you hid a camera with you in bed, and took a photo when it was messing around above your head? Sometimes weird things can get captured on film.
  • Do an exorcism.
    We had a haunted toilet. Incense, chanting and ritual will placate the unrest.
  • Lived here for years, yes it does really seem to have (or be) some kind of energy. I might try taking a pic when it happens if I remember too. The parrot is acting strange but then again he has always acted weird haha. I do know that he has to hear a word or a voice multiple times before he copies it so that's why it's really weird that he's talking with a strangers voice suddenly. It seems to really move around too which is weird. It'll start by hearing some pops downstairs, and after a few seconds it comes closer to my room, and then suddenly I hear it right next to my bed and stuff like that.
  • matthewmartinmatthewmartin Amateur Bodhisattva Suburbs of Mt Meru Veteran
    There is a mantra for that: http://www.prophet666.com/2011/05/mantra-to-control-ghost.html

Om shreem vam vam bhum buteshwari mam vash kuru kuru swahaa

It's probably a hungry ghost. Give it something to eat and send it on its way.
    lobster
  • Woah93 said:

Lived here for years,

That's very interesting, that you've lived there for years with no problem, then suddenly this starts happening. I think you should start doing a search for people in your area who deal with hauntings. I would interview them, to try to figure out which ones are likely to be the real deal. I'm curious as to why this =whatever= has chosen to visit your house right now. Usually, this kind of thing is a case of someone who passed away in the home, and is hanging around, still attached (emotionally) to the place. But to have someone/something arrive out of nowhere like that seems a bit different.

Anyway, it's usually a matter of telling the spirit to go on its way, to go to the "other side".

• MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited December 2013
    First thing I would do is call the electric utility company and tell them you are having unexplained power surges, lights flickering or turning on, and hearing popping noises, etc. Ask them to come out and check the meter outside, the inside circuit box and the interior wiring for any electrical "leaks", hot spots, etc. Even if they come up empty, at least you can rest assured it's not something electrical that might start...well, lead to other issues.

What kind of heat do you have (If you're in a cold enough climate to need heat)?
    We have hot water baseboard heat, and it's getting to the point that it needs to be flushed or something, because every winter, it gets noisier and noisier. It clicks and pops, and frequently there's the sound of water bubbling through the pipes, etc. And it does sound like it starts in one room and moves through the house room to room as the heated water travels...
    We have one register that rumbles and rattles something awful from time to time, loud enough to wake me up at night, two rooms away! (My landlord was supposed to flush the system and check it back in September, but we both forgot).

I'd rule out all logical explanations before thinking a house I'd lived in for years was (suddenly) haunted. :) But honestly, I'd get the electrical checked, because it sounds like that might be a possibility more than heating noises....

robotSilouancvalue
  • I once had the water from the sink dripping down when I was just early 20s. I smelled a smell I think it was burning stone. Eventually I went down the stairs and water was dripping onto the electric box. Kinda neat that it was right below the sink, huh? Anyhow water was setting and putting out slow fires.

I also had a electrical power outlet in my laboratory in chemistry school make a big sound when my hand was about 2 feet away (lucky for me). So yeah check if it is some dangerous electrical problem.

As far as paranormal I am schizophrenic which means that it depends what context you are in as far as if it is paranormal or mundane. In a medical context I have a mental disease. But it can also be true to have a spiritual context for everything that happens. When I explained to my guru what my state of mind was when I had my mental break she said it sounded like a close encounter with the dharma. (no I am not sculpting my mashed potatoes - movie reference 'close encounters of the third kind'
  • I have seen some weird shit. Not sure if it is like an unveiling of the paranoia unveiled to me in this universe in particular. But I have seen some odd things happen. If I analyzed them there is probably a rational explanation, but in the actual experience of my life, then sure, there are paranormal things happening.
  • And yet, paranormal things DO happen. But it's a good idea to get all the electrical stuff in the house checked.
    Invincible_summer
  • It's not.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited December 2013
    I don't really put much stock into these kinds of things, and generally lean towards a more mundane explanation of phenomena such as this; but the Theravada tradition does have a selection of chants/discourses that are thought to have the power to protect people from harm, spiritual or otherwise. One in particular, the Ratana Sutta, is believe to be especially good for appeasing/exorcising malicious spirits. It couldn't hurt to chant this or else invite some monks to chant it for you. Or you could even play a recording of it and see if that helps if an electrician doesn't.
    Jeffreysndymorn
  • This sounds fascinating, @Woah93.
    I think it's wise to check out all the explainable factors first, you don't want to end up having huge electricity bills as I've heard of greedy poltergeists supping wildly on the mains electricity. One fellow had such huge power bills the company couldn't explain how he was apparently using thousands of pounds worth of electricity in the space of a few days.
    This sounds more like poltergeist activity than a haunting, and is harder to deal with because it tends to be more random. Do you have a local paranormal group or there might be a local university that studies paranormal activity? They might be able to help. In the UK there is also the Society for Psychical Research, and I assume there is an equivalent wherever you live. It might be worth getting in touch with someone with expert knowledge. Don't start mucking about with exorcisms unless you know what you're doing, it's not a game and can have nasty consequences.
  • This may sound silly @Woah93 but have you any experience with generating or using chi in a certain way?
  • Woah93 said:

I never believed in this stuff but I'm actually a little scared, I really am fishing for obvious explanations for these things but I'm running out of things to explain it.
    To make it all a little bit more creepy, our parrot has learned a new word recently and it's none of our voices but sounds like a child saying: "hey...".
    Starting to feel like I'm in a cheap hollywood horror movie.

The horror / haunting concept is playing with your fight:flight response - you're reacting to an unseen predator - if you can deal with the psychological and physiological responses then calmness will descend no matter what.
    Two things help me in these situations; The fight:flight response is limited, your body only has a certain amount of the necessary chemicals, if you saturate yourself in the stimulus, the response will abruptly end and also 'die today or die tomorrow'... in many ways, the safest place to be is in a prison cell! So taste a little and worse case, go out with your face melting, indiana jones style.
    Where houses are concerned, it probably pays to check plumbing and electricity etc to make sure it's not something to be addressed.
    Beyond that... investigate if you feel it warrants it - a mystery in your own house sounds delicious in some regards (I'm sure it won't come to face melting).
  • SilouanSilouan Veteran
    edited December 2013
    I would follow @MaryAnne's sound advice. Get everything in the house checked out. It could be faulty wiring and you definitely don't want an electrical fire, but in addition you also shouldn't wait to take action of a spiritual nature either.

If it is indeed something else it is announcing its presence and if unchecked it will only escalate its activity feeding off of your fear. By not doing anything it is like you are inviting it to take charge of you and your home. In either case you need to take charge of your home.

I didn't believe in these kinds of things until many years ago while working as a stock clerk at a drug store. It started out with small occurrences in our upstairs warehouse and then increased to the point where the power of its presence that it revealed was an indescribable flash of light, like the fabric of the space in front of me being ripped open that stunned me for an instant and then a screw fell on me. It did this three times in a row (3 screws total) and I then told it what to go do with itself and fled.

It was a personal being and on one occasion I played hide and seek with it in the warehouse thinking it was the other stock guy who was actually downstairs (2 flights) mopping the floor at the time.

I hated going up there alone, but my manager didn’t want to hear the protests. The hair on my body would always rise when making the trek up the stairs.

I wasn't the only one experiencing these things. The other stock guy and I brought out the Ouija board and tried to communicate with it. We asked who was up here and the response was “You”. My friend was an assistant manager and would hear the chairs in the upstairs conference room moving around at night from her office below.

The district manager heard about all the activity and called in psychics, and three of them came but didn't charge, as they said it was their duty because of the gift they were given. They said two entities were there and that the warehouse needed a cleansing, and they were really angry that we used the Ouija board. I don't know what ever happened in the end because I got a different job shortly after, but I do know the store eventually closed down and the building was vacant for several years after.

If you are interested this is an excellent podcast on the topic that might give you some insight.

ancientfaith.com/podcasts/aftoday/demons_exorcism_and_the_paranormal

Dakini
  • Well I don't have much experience with chanting, chi's or exorcism. Really the only thing I know relating paranormal activity is watching ghost hunters... hehe.

Last night was horrible. I had a terrible nightmare and it involved something inherently evil. I woke up from it and I couldn't move my body, then a huge surge of vibrations started coming over me and I started to "float" out of my bed, I tried to walk but it felt like I didn't have any weight and just started to drift upwards.

Then in a flash I was back in bed in the exact same position, still unable to move, after a few minutes of getting random surges of "electricity" or "vibrations" I started to slowly gain control of my limbs and legs and was able to move again and I was now fully awake.

It's been multiple years since I have experienced sleep paralysis this severe but in the past it has happened before. Maybe this haunting hasn't appeared so "suddenly" but I'm just paying more attention to it now... I don't know.

It may be an electrical problem concerning the sounds but that doesn't explain the sound coming out of objects itself, where no electricity is present.
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    Don't worry you were just having the experience of waking up in a dream within a dream within a human mind and body. I've had that too.

What's worse is that you can be awake and then suddenly wake up in a dream knowing you were just awake in the 'real' world...
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited December 2013
    Imagine waking up from a 'weird' dream, opening your eyes, sitting up in bed and still seeing the dream continue, like a movie projection (or a hologram) right before your opened eyes -- with the real wall, window, curtains, etc there behind it! Yep, happened to me, not that long ago. Very odd.

I think your anxiety is getting the best of you.... take a deep breath, and try not to let your imagination get too far off track. One step at a time, rule out the mundane and practical possibilities first.......

BTW what kind of parrot do you have? I Loooooooove parrots, used to have several... got into fostering and rehoming parrots for a local rescue. Don't have any for the last 4 years or so. Really really miss having one... :(
  • Well I'm not anxious at all when these things happen and I was fully awake when I was unable to move. Literally paralyzed and the vibrations physically hurt... Anyway I'll give it a few more days. The noise comes from random objects but seem to affect electronic devices around it. It's not coming from the heater as I recognize those noises and we generally turn it off at night. These things also never appear during day but always appear when it's past 12 and seems to happen only around me for some reason.
    Hey @Jeffrey - any suggestions for @woah93?
  • Wow! this stuff is really great for a Halloween party!
    Invincible_summer
  • Haha, I do get the humor in it, I actually feel like one of those highly superstitious people when I try to explain these things :') Like I said in the OP it really feels like a cheap horror movie. The only thing missing is a teenage friend googling some random object on the internet and finding out it's some ancient artifact used in indian burial sites lol.
    cvaluelobster
  • I don't really have any advice in this case. The noises are just arisings in awareness. Even if a poltergeist is real, still we can regard it as empty of self and just empty sounds. Of course check the electrical things; Tie your camel first, then put your trust in Allah so to speak a traditional saying in Islam.
  • Like I said in the OP it really feels like a cheap horror movie
    and address it as such . . .

When I exorcised the toilet. Yes I really did, when informed it was 'haunted', possessed by a spirit of naughtiness:
    Burnt incense, chanted eviction notice mantra, generally took it very 'seriously' for a few days.

Naughtiness flushed away. Toilet resumed to normal duty.

anatamancvalue
  • So it's bout 2 am here and my bedroom door just opened by itself... Yeah im trying that excorsist thing tomorrow...
  • Could it be not the house that is haunted, but you?
    Seriously. This seems worrisome, and perhaps worthy of attention from someone in addition to people on the internet.
  • Haunt right back and tell it to go away-works every time.
    Statement: Ghosts are not real @Whoa93
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    anataman said:

Statement: Ghosts are not real @Whoa93

That pretty much sums it up
  • Well, I'm really curious to see how the OP's situation turns out. I hope we get an update.
    Invincible_summer
  • NamadaNamada Veteran
    edited December 2013
    He should try to contact a medium or what we call it...the medium could clean up the place...and bring the ghost towards the other side/light (if ghost exist?)...

I saw few episodes from a tv program wich is very popular in my country (many believes its just a joke, but the families are real and the program really helps them). Its about Families with a huge problem with paranormal activities in their houses. They often feel headache, are more sick then normal, relatives dont want to sleep there. Things moves and they hear baby screams and other voices and sometimes they can see people from a different century walking around. This program helps them to get the house quiet. A medium can confirm what is happening there, and say who it is...after she bring the ghost to the other side. After a few weeks they meet the family again, sometimes the medium didnt help much and the hungry ghost is still there, but most of the time it helped and the family are very happy for this, finally they could live normal and didnt need to sell the house...so maybe its worth a try to contact a medium? :)
  • Woah93 said:

Let's just start off by saying I never believed in this kind of stuff, but some weird things have been happening the last month in my house. Every night, somewhere after 12 I start hearing "pops" and cracks in the house.

It seems to have a pattern too and appears to go from room to room. At first I thought this was just the house adjusting due to the temperature change at night, but it seems to influence electronic devices around it as well. Like a few nights ago I was listening to the radio and each time it simultaneously switched off when there was one of these "pops" in the room. Like that sound was zapping energy. This also happens with the TV where it will randomly loose signal and I just get white noise.

Just this night I was watching TV with my dad downstairs, and the light's in the kitchen automatically turned on... He was shocked and didn't know what to think, I was just glad finally someone else noticed something strange lol. Anyway these strange noises seem to be happening every single night. Footsteps, objects being moved slightly, even right next to my head as I'm trying to sleep.

I never believed in this stuff but I'm actually a little scared, I really am fishing for obvious explanations for these things but I'm running out of things to explain it. To make it all a little bit more creepy, our parrot has learned a new word recently and it's none of our voices but sounds like a child saying: "hey...". Starting to feel like I'm in a cheap hollywood horror movie.

I heard a Western monk saying that in a case like that he would send good thoughts to the ghosts, telling him or her to go on in his or her journey, that this is not the world for him or her . I also know of a person who just packed his belongings and go. Well, I don't know what you'll do but if you have done all the good things in the past, and have not harm anyone, don't worry. You'll end up well.
  • Dakini said:

Well, I'm really curious to see how the OP's situation turns out. I hope we get an update.

Well here is the update, a few nights ago I just stood there in my room and actually spoke out loud saying whatever it was I didn't want it there, after saying that a few times I sprinkled some salt in the room. Oddly enough I didn't hear anything strange this night and last night, it seems like it actually worked.

Very strange thing is I talked to a good friend who I've known for a very long time and she experienced the same things (waking up at night not being able to move etc).

Very odd considering we always have been pretty close and this exact thing has been happening to us without knowing it was happening to me/her.

Anyway I hope it stays away so I can enjoy some good nights sleep :)

Dakini
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited December 2013
    @ Woah93
    In addition to having the house main & pole electrical connections checked out....

My approach at addressing such things is to treat them as you would any other phenomena in meditation.

Don't push them away or grasp after them. They have there reasons for existing just as you do. Freedom and equanimity results from simply allowing them to freely arise, live and fade away without trying to manipulate their existences.

If you are willing, you may notice that the delusions that empowers their existence, also empowers yours, and in meditatively practicing here, not only will your concepts of Sangha widen, but the delusions separating self and all others can become much less substantial.
    lobster
  • Just a thought but if I was hearing voices I would question my sanity. Do you have other symptoms of disorders involving thoughts?
  • Cool, @Woah93! Thanks for the update. How did you come up with salt as a treatment? That's a new one to me. Good work, though!
  • Jeffrey said:

Just a thought but if I was hearing voices I would question my sanity. Do you have other symptoms of disorders involving thoughts?

Actually I never mentioned I heard voices. I have always been a very intense dreamer though. Hell I still remember plenty of dreams from when I was 4 years old with a lot of detail.
  • Sounds a little bit like borderline ambiguous narcolepsy.
    poptartWoah93
  • Why not leave all your doors and windows in your home wide open too?

If someone else enters and takes up abode uninvited and attempts to disrupt your home just ignore them.