Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Anyone out there experience this?

HamsakaHamsaka goosewhispererPolishing the 'just so' Veteran
I've been focused upon building samatha or 'concentration' style meditation for several weeks now. After the first two or three weeks, I noticed significant 'new' experiences as my concentration gets better. Last night, I did some vipassana as well, noting the sensation and allowing it to 'be as much as it wants to' and exploring the sensation of it in my body. I haven't done quite this much vipassana before, or maybe I haven't been so darn successful at it. It was really making sense, if you know what I mean, the sensation arises, I feel it fully as possible, and then it falls off and ceases. It was a very productive and positive experience, and I was very pleased afterward.

Then, I thought I might go to bed and fall asleep. Ha.

There are good/useful/pleasant side effects, of course, and I'm glad for those. It's the unpleasant side effects that I have questions about. Either that or I just want to share them with someone who'll 'understand'.

Several nights in the past while I've had very, very unpleasant dreams. Not big scary nightmares with monsters or evil. The dreams are about regular people, often people I know well and see often, but THEY are monstrous and evil. Meaning, they deliberately aggravate me, taunt me, steal from me and destroy my belongings in the dreams. I've had two or three dreams of almost the exact same content; it starts with a present or past 'friend' or loved family member taking on a very cruel aspect and then suddenly more people come in behaving the same way and suddenly there is a crowd of people tearing my house apart, stealing money and victimizing me in some way or another.

The worst dream was last night, and I was fighting back desperately (a new addition; in past dreams, I just screamed and chased and tore out my hair a lot). I had weapons and bombs and at the end of the dream last night, I literally strapped explosives onto my body, and detonated myself in the midst of the crowd of evil revelers. I laughed and laughed as they were destroyed. Well, not all of them were.

Then it took me about two solid hours to 'wake up'. I wasn't asleep, I wasn't awake. My parrot Axel was banging a toy into the dryer (he loves making different kinds of sounds repetitively) and this non-sleep/non-wake state was this physical and emotional pit of discomfort and angst, punctuated by Axel's GOONGGGGG sounds, until I literally wrenched myself upward out of bed (much earlier than usual). I wandered around feeling scared and uncomfortable for about an hour, aware that these dreams and 'experiences' are likely related to the progress of my meditation, and some of these experiences will be unpleasant or even frightening. After a bit of coffee and reading my shredded little self pulled it together and I have a bit of peace now.

For those of you who do similar meditation (or even different) and have had uncomfortable/unpleasant experiences after the meditation in some way, do you mind sharing them? I've read SO much material here and there and over the years, I feel pretty sure this is kind of an expected thing. I don't know what it means, but if it's just part of the development of meditation, I can totally handle it. I don't even necessarily want it to 'stop', I just want to understand and place it in a context that is helpful. Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• jaejae Veteran
    edited January 2014
    Hi Hamsaka, I've had some weird dreams lately, I was wondering if they were related to the 'soul' searching/meditation I've been doing.

I came to a possible conclusion that as I'm opening myself/heart up I'm feeling little vulnerable, all the walls coming down are progress, however digging up the past, contemplating and accepting and slowly moving forward has maybe left my mind a lot of filing to do when I'm asleep.

Sending you love and kindness and a peaceful nights sleep :)
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Over time, maybe my experience has been a little like going into the basement with an eye to cleaning the place up. Box after box needs to be investigated. Some of the boxes offer delightful/blissful surprises. Some of them are full of gritchy, grimy stuff.

I realize that this is hopelessly superficial, but I do think it is par for the course ... gotta address the pleasant stuff; gotta get past the unpleasant stuff. Why? Because it's part of a whole-life practice.

If Buddhism were simply a vehicle for some kind of mindless bliss, we could all go down to the corner and find the fellow selling pills and powders. Likewise, if it were just a way to spend life whimpering and complaining about how awful things were, we could join some self-referential, white-whine festival.

Gently, firmly ... practice. See what happens.

Best wishes.
    anataman
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited January 2014

@Hamsaka
    There is an expression in practice of "not pushing the river." The river represents reality and our separation from it represents our delusive conditioning.

The point of practice is to allow yourself to dissolve into the river, instead of pushing against it's flow.
    The pushing part is a reflection of our conditioned attempts at exerting control (an attempt at acquiring something, even if it is spiritual in our minds) whereas the dissolving part is a reflection of our loosening our hold on ego /self (renunciation).

If you think you are "Pushing the river" in your practice, check to see if you are engaged in acquisition or renunciation, grasping after something or letting go of everything.

Acquisition in a practice comes with all manner of disturbances. Renunciation of what ever you are grasping after, is it's antidote.

anataman
  • Hamsaka said:

I don't even necessarily want it to 'stop', I just want to understand and place it in a context that is helpful. Thanks in advance :)

Dreams and experience reflect our nature, or an aspect of it. Yes had this sort of 'stuff' [a technical term]. It seems you are releasing negative aspects. Personally I would do yoga nidra before sleep, chant myself to sleep. Play mantra or nature sounds very quietly to send me to some Pureland . . . Perhaps if you understand your meditation as Yang, this is the Yin. If you 'soften' your meditation, the dreams with change their nature.

:wave:
    anataman
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    lobster said:

Hamsaka said:

I don't even necessarily want it to 'stop', I just want to understand and place it in a context that is helpful. Thanks in advance :)

Dreams and experience reflect our nature, or an aspect of it. Yes had this sort of 'stuff' [a technical term]. It seems you are releasing negative aspects. Personally I would do yoga nidra before sleep, chant myself to sleep. Play mantra or nature sounds very quietly to send me to some Pureland . . . Perhaps if you understand your meditation as Yang, this is the Yin. If you 'soften' your meditation, the dreams with change their nature.

:wave:
    Twenty years ago I did "dream work" with a Jungian analyst, it was about two months worth of weekly sessions in a group. Though I don't write all my dreams down or analyze them, my dream experiences have a position of significance, even if only to note the feeling tone of them.

So, if these dreams I'm having are reflecting an aspect of my nature, it is an aspect that is all alone trying to get control of a huge group of very uncooperative energies. And it is failing to do so LOL! It is resorting to suicide bombing, unfortunately. Although that alone is kind of interesting . . .

It WAS very intense with frustration, fear and despair. If the dreams are venting the painful sensations, then I'm grateful for them, however ugly. I can wake up, take good care of myself and smooth myself out fairly well. And be glad with the idea some 'stuff' was released.

I will get to this more when I reply to @How, but my tendency when learning can be pressured with lots of exertion. Hmmm. Two Buddha friends suggesting I go a little easier on myself?

I will look into falling asleep with the assistance of some softer Yin energies, just to be kind to myself. I'm thinking about investing in an essential oil diffuser and adding scent into my pre and post meditation routine, so soothing my rumples with gentle sounds fits right in. Thank you Lobster!

Gassho :)

how said:

@Hamsaka
    There is an expression in practice of "not pushing the river." The river represents reality and our separation from it represents our delusive conditioning.

The point of practice is to allow yourself to dissolve into the river, instead of pushing against it's flow.
    The pushing part is a reflection of our conditioned attempts at exerting control (an attempt at acquiring something, even if it is spiritual in our minds) whereas the dissolving part is a reflection of our loosening our hold on ego /self (renunciation).

If you think you are "Pushing the river" in your practice, check to see if you are engaged in acquisition or renunciation, grasping after something or letting go of everything.

Acquisition in a practice comes with all manner of disturbances. Renunciation of what ever you are grasping after, is it's antidote.

Ugh :( I am not getting this!!! Honestly I *think* I'm trying to balance the necessary acquisition of meditative skills (like practicing the piano every day for an hour) IN SERVICE OF renunciation (of grasping and clinging to my meditative skillz )

Is it a balancing act or am I over analyzing it?

I began meditating with what felt like an imperative -- to regain and maintain my sanity. One evening I decided to listen to a Buddhist-ish audiobook I downloaded long ago and was suddenly overcome. I'd spent the day before in therapy (for some trauma issues that are nearly 'resolved') in tears and feeling so helpless and hopeless and lost. My therapist said "Tell me some more about your spiritual stuff" and I said "I sure do need it." and FELT that need very strongly.

So since then it's been a daily (several hours a day) headlong rush into serious practice. Meditation is daily, up to an hour, mostly an hour, plus reading or listening. I take it to work with me, into the barnyard, into the bathroom. Not perfectly but more and more consistently. I live alone with only a parrot and cats to annoy me and have the gift of much time alone with myself with which to study or meditate.

I'm new at this . . . all I know to do is get on the horse and ride. I draw a blank at another 'way' to approach this. I am aware even my thinking and assumptions are skewed and deluded, and am grateful when one more scale falls away.

Sorry for all the blather. I guess I don't know what it means to 'renounce' rather than 'acquire' when it comes to 'dissolving into the river'. I get it that a bare nekkid relationship with reality is the goal, and that it's more about letting things go than building them up to get there. Thank you for your post, I'm definitely impacted by it.

• Hamsaka said:

I've been focused upon building samatha or 'concentration' style meditation for several weeks now. After the first two or three weeks, I noticed significant 'new' experiences as my concentration gets better. Last night, I did some vipassana as well, noting the sensation and allowing it to 'be as much as it wants to' and exploring the sensation of it in my body. I haven't done quite this much vipassana before, or maybe I haven't been so darn successful at it. It was really making sense, if you know what I mean, the sensation arises, I feel it fully as possible, and then it falls off and ceases. It was a very productive and positive experience, and I was very pleased afterward.

you should have continued what you had been doing for further a while instead of stopping it and go to sleep

anyway, that was something in the past

next time make an effort (Right Effort) to continue a bit further

you would get answers to your questions

if you do the meditation (vipassana) when walking (walking meditation) and pay attention to the sensation get through feet

that would be more productive

because
    you wouldn't need to go to sleep
    instead
    you can sit and continue the sensation meditation further
    until
    you find a miraculous Experience

pleasant and successful meditation!!!
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2014
    Remember that the dreams are just empty clouds flowing by awareness. If they came up in meditation would you think that you had to 'do something?'

Oh. I love aroma lamps.
    Hamsakapegembara
  • I've experienced similar things. Back off from the vipassana. Use the samatha as your home base. Establish a stable state of mind, do a bit of vipassana from that state of mind, come back to samatha when it gets disturbing. Never end with vipassana, always do at least ten minutes of samatha at the end. As far as possible, when doing vipassana avoid straying into areas of stress where your samatha skills are insufficient to maintaining a stable state of mind. That threshold will vary over time, as the strength of your will and positivity varies, and it is useful to be sensitive to what you can handle at the moment.

I would also stick to more explicit forms of vipassana for the time being: more 4NT-style "Where/what is the stress? How do I release it?", less "noting the sensation and allowing it to 'be as much as it wants to,'" because you don't know where that's going to end up.
    anatamanJeffreyHamsakaInvincible_summer
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    @Hamsaka
    Sorry for all the blather. I guess I don't know what it means to 'renounce' rather than 'acquire' when it comes to 'dissolving into the river'. I get it that a bare nekkid relationship with reality is the goal, and that it's more about letting things go than building them up to get there. Thank you for your post, I'm definitely impacted by it.

I think you got it right with your posted return to Lobster. Be gentle with yourself. Rather than striving for a result, try to just relax into the practice. Acquisition just infers the idea that there is something to be acquired (which is usually often ego bound) whereas renunciation is just about learning to soften our tight grip on all that maintains our identity.
    Hamsakalobster
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Just my take:The word "renunciation" is certainly popular in spiritual culture. But I have to say that, as a practical matter, it makes my teeth itch.

First of all, "renunciation" seems to exude a 'good' quotient ... you really will be a better, shinier person if you take up renunciation as a tactic. Second, it carries with it the suggestion that renunciation is better than acquisition or holding on to something. And third, renunciation suggests trading in of bad old habits for improved new ones ... I think I'll so some meditation instead of going out and getting drunk.

What makes my teeth itch is the same thing that makes my teeth itch about believing and disbelieving: Believing and disbelieving amount to the same thing because they both posit the existence of something and hence give it force and substance. Renunciation in its most popular sense is just acquisition wearing other clothes.

I'm not trying to criticize so much as to question the practicalities. Does it actually work? Does something else work better? I suppose everyone answers such questions in their own ways in their own time. But to me, it is probably a better course simply to observe -- to be attentive to whatever it is that may seem to deserve "renunciation." Just watch and keep on watching. There is nothing good about it ... it's just a practical matter of practice. Watch and watch and watch some more.

The upshot of watching is that whatever is being watched -- once it is watched long enough and patiently enough -- will pack its bags and leave of its own accord. "I" don't need to throw it out of the house ... it just leaves. Might it come back again? Of course it might ... at which point the skills are in place to watch and watch and watch some more. This is not an exercise in virtue ... it's an exercise in what actually works.

If any of that makes much sense.
    jae
  • @genkaku, I think that's an advanced perspective which comes from having developed a capacity for stable attention while watching potentially destabilizing defilements. If you have that capacity for a particular defilement, great, it's probably the best way. If you don't, it's good to have more primitive tools to reach for before the defilement destroys your intention to watch altogether by sucking you into its associated becoming. For instance, if you have a sufficiently strong fear that someone is screwing you over, pretty soon all your attention is on maneuvering for advantage rather than watching your thoughts, and then the whole exercise was pointless. Much better in that case to have the skill to, say, talk yourself out of the fear or adopt a perspective in which the underlying attachment is meaningless to you.
    Jeffrey
  • @Hamsaka. Meditation is a mighty dredge. Whatever forms appear they arise,decay and pass away. Friend,for and neither are all part of the show. Talk to Axel.
    Hamsaka
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    @genkaku
    @fivebells

I find the concepts of renunciation to be no fancier than allowing phenomena to ebb and flow without trying to control it,
    whereas the concept of acquisition is just the intent to control phenomena.

No need for pronouncements of hell and damnation or calls for it representing deep or shallow understandings. Just any moment of meditation.
    lobster
  • @how, what I see as renunciation is renouncing all the ego games. It's not like renouncing 'x' things, like lent. Rather it is rejecting the whole samsaric view.

So what is the samsaric view? Gain, loss. Pleasure, pain. fame, infamy. Praise, blame.
    lobsterjae
    fivebells said:

I've experienced similar things. Back off from the vipassana. Use the samatha as your home base. Establish a stable state of mind, do a bit of vipassana from that state of mind, come back to samatha when it gets disturbing. Never end with vipassana, always do at least ten minutes of samatha at the end. As far as possible, when doing vipassana avoid straying into areas of stress where your samatha skills are insufficient to maintaining a stable state of mind. That threshold will vary over time, as the strength of your will and positivity varies, and it is useful to be sensitive to what you can handle at the moment.

I would also stick to more explicit forms of vipassana for the time being: more 4NT-style "Where/what is the stress? How do I release it?", less "noting the sensation and allowing it to 'be as much as it wants to,'" because you don't know where that's going to end up.

Thanks as always @Fivebells :)

I've done vipassana off and on for the entire few months I've been meditating, but last night something 'clicked'. I witnessed the arising and cessation and knew it. I've been wondering what that looks like for quite a while, and lately my mind is quiet enough at times so that last night I felt like I saw it for the first time. I know I'm talking real beginner stuff here, so I haven't arrived or accomplished anything but being quiet enough to see what's really happening.

Last night wasn't particularly intense or uncomfortable DURING the meditation but obviously it churned stuff up, as per rough time falling asleep and killing people in my dreams. I experienced my meditation as 'stable' last night, and that is in comparison to the early weeks where I sat through a lot of painful stuff like dread and grief. Those sensations have mellowed so much, thank goodness. That relative stability made room for more stability (and thus improved concentration). With this in mind, I spent some time going over Jack Kornfield's vipassana teachings and those were what I used last night. I spent maybe 20 minutes doing samatha and when the quietude felt well established, I did the vipassana. Ironically it was a very 'positive' experience, like I said, I feel like I got it, finally.

FWIW I've done some deep dynamic type work in therapy in the last year, and have had huge relief and resolution. It's not my first rodeo to deal with what's in there. That said, meditation is likely much more of a deep cleaning. I believe my expectations are realistic (in that I don't have any strong ones). I definitely don't want to over-do anything, it's not kind or compassionate toward myself and I do have to function!

I'm going to back off the intensity of the vipassana tonight and revisit it in a few days. That seems wise.

lobsterjae
    grackle said:

@Hamsaka. Meditation is a mighty dredge. Whatever forms appear they arise,decay and pass away. Friend,for and neither are all part of the show. Talk to Axel.

I definitely will :D. He listens to whatever dharma teaching I listen to, and when it's time for me to meditate, he has to go to bed too (I really don't want the house burned down).
  • @Hamsaka, the risk with good vipassana experiences like that is that they can entrain your mind to turn towards the stress, the first part of the first noble truth, even when you don't have the capacity for the duties associated with the other NTs. The resulting focus on stressors which you don't know how to release can be quite distressing. Sandwiching the vipassana between samatha (which is basically a turning away from stress) can help with this tendency.
    Hamsakalobsterpegembara
    how said:

@genkaku
    @fivebells

I find the concepts of renunciation to be no fancier than allowing phenomena to ebb and flow without trying to control it,

No need for pronouncements of hell and damnation or calls for it representing deep or shallow understandings. Just any moment of meditation.

That description of renunciation makes sense to me. It's a job to turn off the Judeo-Christian assumptions that rise up with that word, ie, renunciation = deny yourself something you enjoy/want/think you need.

This applies to the control I might want to have over the phenomena breezing (or clamoring) through my awareness during meditation. I'm paying attention right now to how I have no control over it at all (I still think I do).

• how said:

I don't fundamentally care about fancy, deep or shallow, I care about what works. But different people have different capacities, and a lot of people make recommendations based on what works for them personally because of capacities they've developed for years. Those recommendations often aren't effective for other people unless they also put in that intense foundational work.
    lobster
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    bare nekkid!! love! :D

you know. the content don't matter all that much. if you can (and you definitely can) be completely and effortlessly present in your body (space) as falling-asleep happens. this is a deep meditation itself. "watching" how it unfolds and happens.

happy you're getting deep into it (i think?) Lama Zopa said once, and i subsequently read once, that when stuff like that happens you can rejoice because "it's over with now" like the rotten apple got bit into and you spat it out and now you can get back to picking apples and dissolving into the soil and whatnot.

i read recently on kevin mcLeod's site unfettered mind that he tends to tell his students to "correct the imbalance" rather than strenuously maintain the balance when starting out.

dreams are wonderful! :) glad you have good recall. in many spiritual traditions of the world the "dream realm" was a place of resolution and discovery. try setting some wholesome and introspective intentions before drifting into the rhythmic heartbeat of the earthbodymindcosmos and just be.

keep on studying and reflecting, but also don't neglect actually living life and being available to help others. cultivate the two roots, and achieve the great aim of yourself and others.
    Hamsaka
  • I've done vipassana off and on for the entire few months I've been meditating, but last night something 'clicked'. I witnessed the arising and cessation and knew it. I've been wondering what that looks like for quite a while, and lately my mind is quiet enough at times so that last night I felt like I saw it for the first time. I know I'm talking real beginner stuff here, so I haven't arrived or accomplished anything but being quiet enough to see what's really happening.

Last night wasn't particularly intense or uncomfortable DURING the meditation but obviously it churned stuff up, as per rough time falling asleep and killing people in my dreams. I experienced my meditation as 'stable' last night, and that is in comparison to the early weeks where I sat through a lot of painful stuff like dread and grief.
    Stuff "came up" because the mind has attained a degree of stillness. The mind sees what was buried beneath (kilesas) all the time.
    Just as if there were a pool of water in a mountain glen — clear, limpid, and unsullied — where a man with good eyesight standing on the bank could see shells, gravel, and pebbles, and also shoals of fish swimming about and resting, and it would occur to him, 'This pool of water is clear, limpid, and unsullied. Here are these shells, gravel, and pebbles, and also these shoals of fish swimming about and resting.' In the same way — with his mind thus concentrated, purified, and bright, unblemished, free from defects, pliant, malleable, steady, and attained to imperturbability — the monk directs and inclines it to the knowledge of the ending of the mental fermentations.
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/dn/dn.02.0.than.html
    Hamsaka
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    fivebells said:

how said:

I don't fundamentally care about fancy, deep or shallow, I care about what works. But different people have different capacities, and a lot of people make recommendations based on what works for them personally because of capacities they've developed for years. Those recommendations often aren't effective for other people unless they also put in that intense foundational work.
    @fivebells
    And that wool coat on your avatar is really just for warmth huh?
  • I took that avatar because a moderator on a now-defunct board warned me that a Theravadin participant had complained that I was leading people astray. :) (He called himself Element at the time, Dhamma Dhatu later, you may remember him.)

I was sincere then, though, and I'm sincere now. Not sure whether that protestation addresses your comment; if not, feel free to be more direct/specific.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Hamsaka said:

For those of you who do similar meditation (or even different) and have had uncomfortable/unpleasant experiences after the meditation in some way, do you mind sharing them? I've read SO much material here and there and over the years, I feel pretty sure this is kind of an expected thing. I don't know what it means, but if it's just part of the development of meditation, I can totally handle it. I don't even necessarily want it to 'stop', I just want to understand and place it in a context that is helpful. Thanks in advance :)

I think meditation can stir up suppressed emotions, and make us more aware of stuff simmering beneath the surface. For example I've experienced a lot of fear over the years, or more accurately become more aware of it because of meditation and mindfulness. So yes, at times the journey of exploration can be uncomfortable, but it's also very worthwhile.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    fivebells said:

I took that avatar because a moderator on a now-defunct board warned me that a Theravadin participant had complained that I was leading people astray. :) (He called himself Element at the time, Dhamma Dhatu later, you may remember him.)

I was sincere then, though, and I'm sincere now. Not sure whether that protestation addresses your comment; if not, feel free to be more direct/specific.

@fivebells
    The joke was, that an avatar of a wolf in sheeps clothing is suggesting that someone else maybe leading others astray.

Some folk think what "works" is graduated steps in understanding, each one built on the previous one, where others think that what works is simply a steadfast Ego diet that the meditation provides.

I speak for a simple meditation, available to all, where capacity is irrelevant. The when & how & where & why of it is unfolded by the meditation, each to the capacity of an individuals willingness to surrender to it.

Schools with prescribed stages of progression and understanding remain understandably skeptical of schools that have a different approach.
    Your concern that someone here might not have the capacity to understand the accumulated understanding of anothers past efforts in practice, reflects your schools approach.

I don't share that concern because my meditation remains as happily unrefined today as it was 40 years ago. Anyone concerned about their capacity to not understand is free to choose the path that best suits that issue.

Respectfully
    H
    Jeffreylobster
  • Telling someone to just go on an ego diet after they've gone through an experience like Hamsaka's is like telling a fat person to just stop eating and exercise more. Those are the necessary actions, but that advice ignores the emotional and structural factors which support the tendency to overeat in the first place.
    lobster
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited January 2014
    @fivebells

If you actually revisit my comments to Hamsaka you'll see we both suggested that she could be be more gentle with her practice and temporary ease up on the intensity of her focus.

No one directly told anyone to just go on an ego diet. That would better apply to the two of us.
    jaelobsterpegembara
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited January 2014
    @Hamsaka just something I read earlier and thought I would share with you as it is relevant here. It is from a book titled 'Handbook For Mankind' written by Buddhadasa Bhikkhu' It states:

It is not a case of the mind's being rendered silent, hard, and rock-like. Nothing like that happens at all. The body feels normal, but the mind is especially calm and suitable for use in thinking and introspection. It is perfectly clear, perfectly cool, perfectly still and restrained. In other words, it is fit for work, ready to know. This is the degree of concentration to be aimed for, not the very deep concentration where one sits rigidly like a stone image, quite devoid of awareness. Sitting in deep concentration like that, one is in no position to investigate anything. A deeply concentrated mind cannot practice introspection at all. It is in a state of unawareness and is of no use for insight. DEEP CONCENTRATION IS A MAJOR OBSTACLE TO INSIGHT PRACTICE (the caps are actually in the book). To practice introspection one must first return to the shallower levels of concentration; then one can make use of the power the mind has acquired. Highly developed concentration is just a tool. In this developing of insight by the nature method, we don't have to attain deep concentration and sit with the body rigid. Rather, we aim at a calm, steady mind, one fit for work that when it is applied to insight practice, it gains right understanding with regard to the entire world. Insight so developed is natural insight, the same sort as was gained by some individuals while sitting listening to the Buddha expounding Dhamma. It is conducive to thought and introspection of the right kind, the kind that brings understanding. And it involves neither ceremonial procedures nor miracles.
    pegembara
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    edited January 2014
    What about bad deams around the time of the full moon? Anybody notice this phenomena? The full moon plays havoc on my system and chaotic dreams seem like the norm during this cycle. I have become more in touch with this in the last few years, the same same few years when meditation has become more prevelant in my life. Coincidence?
  • @ThailandTom, my teacher says the same thing about statue-like mindfulness being insensitive.
  • What about bad deams around the time of the full moon? Anybody notice this phenomena? The full moon plays havoc on my system and chaotic dreams seem like the norm during this cycle. I have become more in touch with this in the last few years, the same same few years when meditation has become more prevelant in my life. Coincidence?

I don't pay much attention to the moon but I seem to have vivid dreams 5-6 times a week and out of those nights 2-3 are often negative and what most would call nightmares I assume. I am used to it now though and almost enjoy it as I know it is only a dream and it is almost like going to the cinema.

@Jeffrey can you expand on what your teacher says about it or is it kept that simple :p ? In that book he goes on to talk about how the right concentration can be discovered in daily activities and people were said to become Ariyan's back when the Buddha would simply give sermons, also before these breathing techniques were established and put in place. I think there is this form of concentration to be found in many activities yet we often seem to overlook it or not realize we are in such a state of concentration.
  • What about bad deams around the time of the full moon? Anybody notice this phenomena? The full moon plays havoc on my system and chaotic dreams seem like the norm during this cycle. I have become more in touch with this in the last few years, the same same few years when meditation has become more prevelant in my life. Coincidence?

The moon has a strong effect on human anatomy. For me increased libido. Monks often stay up to meditate at this time. I do not have bad dreams but I would play a calming mantra very quietly to lull the subconscious into a real sense of security . . . Playing mantra whilst drifting into sleep or awakening is a blessing . . .
    Awareness training makes us aware, no coincidence :)
  • The moon is very prominent in Buddhism in Thailand and this the entire culture and holidays in Thailand.
    i'
    lobster said:

What about bad deams around the time of the full moon? Anybody notice this phenomena? The full moon plays havoc on my system and chaotic dreams seem like the norm during this cycle. I have become more in touch with this in the last few years, the same same few years when meditation has become more prevelant in my life. Coincidence?

The moon has a strong effect on human anatomy. For me increased libido. Monks often stay up to meditate at this time. I do not have bad dreams but I would play a calming mantra very quietly to lull the subconscious into a real sense of security . . . Playing mantra whilst drifting into sleep or awakening is a blessing . . .
    Awareness training makes us aware, no coincidence :)
    ah yes, the libido is enhanced for me too. especially in those dreams. thats not the bad part of the dream, though
    . :lol:
  • @Jeffrey can you expand on what your teacher says about it or is it kept that simple ? In that book he goes on to talk about how the right concentration can be discovered in daily activities and people were said to become Ariyan's back when the Buddha would simply give sermons, also before these breathing techniques were established and put in place. I think there is this form of concentration to be found in many activities yet we often seem to overlook it or not realize we are in such a state of concentration.
    My teacher was urging not to cling to shamata. If you get too much she said it could create karma for an animal rebirth even.

@Hamsaka just something I read earlier and thought I would share with you as it is relevant here. It is from a book titled 'Handbook For Mankind' written by Buddhadasa Bhikkhu' It states:

It is not a case of the mind's being rendered silent, hard, and rock-like. Nothing like that happens at all. The body feels normal, but the mind is especially calm and suitable for use in thinking and introspection. It is perfectly clear, perfectly cool, perfectly still and restrained. In other words, it is fit for work, ready to know. This is the degree of concentration to be aimed for, not the very deep concentration where one sits rigidly like a stone image, quite devoid of awareness. Sitting in deep concentration like that, one is in no position to investigate anything. A deeply concentrated mind cannot practice introspection at all. It is in a state of unawareness and is of no use for insight. DEEP CONCENTRATION IS A MAJOR OBSTACLE TO INSIGHT PRACTICE (the caps are actually in the book). To practice introspection one must first return to the shallower levels of concentration; then one can make use of the power the mind has acquired. Highly developed concentration is just a tool. In this developing of insight by the nature method, we don't have to attain deep concentration and sit with the body rigid. Rather, we aim at a calm, steady mind, one fit for work that when it is applied to insight practice, it gains right understanding with regard to the entire world. Insight so developed is natural insight, the same sort as was gained by some individuals while sitting listening to the Buddha expounding Dhamma. It is conducive to thought and introspection of the right kind, the kind that brings understanding. And it involves neither ceremonial procedures nor miracles.

I have heard of Buddhadasa Bikkhu but am unfamiliar with his teachings or writings.

In my very limited experience, as my concentration grows in strength, my awareness does not decrease or go dim and fuzzy. It is possible, of course, and there are some 'warnings' in the suttas and from various modern teachers about not floating away into a haze during deep concentration. There's so many phenomenal things happening in that state with the body and mind perception it's definitely an issue.

I say this knowing I don't have enough practice experience to say it but here goes anyway; I don't agree that deep concentration is an obstacle to insight practice, not in my own experience (what of it there is) NOR does it make logical sense, to me, in my current level of grokking meditation work. Disagreeing with an experienced bikkhu is not something I'll do lightly, and while I disagree, I will definitely consider his words and do some reading to get a better idea of what he means.

If concentration work goes wonky and a person just goes on a mental slip n slide instead of remaining mindful and investigating the state, yeah, I'd agree with his statement wholeheartedly. Then again, he could be referring to states of concentration so deep and profound I can't begin to imagine them.

But thank you for sharing that anyway, really, and I'll put Buddhadasa on my list of reads.

• ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited January 2014
    It is a good book and that is stripped right out of a full chapter which I am not going to type out :P So it may be a little out of context. But also I think that one shouldn't jump to an extreme here, he did suggest that such concentration is merely a tool, and I suggest also that meditation itself is just a tool. As with all tools they should be picked up, used and put down again without much worry after being used. I think that is one of the main issues, as Jeffrey pointed out, becoming attached to such states of mind and creating a whole new wheel of samsara within mediation. I consider it to be one of the greatest hidden forms of attachment there is
    Hamsaka
    Yes! Becoming attached to the stuff happening in meditation will only lead to suffering, it's no different than any other attachment. This is very important, I agree.

It's a healthy reminder, and that is the way I'm taking it :)

I've lately gone past a bottleneck (or whatever) in my meditation, and the 'fruits' of calmness of mind have pursued me into real life, and work for the last week or so. This reinforces me that I am making progress and to continue doing what I am doing. I'm also experiencing, in meditation, phenomena that I've read about, some like road signs, which is also reinforcing that I'm making progress. At the same time, I'm keeping in mind (not perfectly but often-ish) that these phenomena are JUST sign posts, not things in and of themselves, not 'fruits' in an of themselves.

In another thread(s) I mention my ADHD, which has a up-side that I didn't realize would help my meditation. Along with the inability to focus comes a hyperfocus ability, but it is no more controllable than the other -- until recently. During meditation only, so far. I can get extremely absorbed in activities to the point time distorts and everything disappears. This has NOT been a good thing, it has a compulsive element to it, an addictive element. Yet now I am beginning to deliberately CONTROL my attentiveness in meditation, via absorption/samatha, for the first time in my life. My ADHD is an issue but I've lived with it for 50 years and found a million ways to work around it, it's never been an excuse for anything. But to discover, within myself, a method to HARNESS the little 'gift' the curse carries with it is very encouraging.

Fortunately I haven't had to 'deal with' a ton of phenomena to distract me or fascinate me. I get body rushes that are mildly pleasant, and after 30 minutes or so of good concentration on the breath, there is a pleasant, mild pleasure to 'be' within, perhaps the first jhana. The only really weird stuff is hypnogogic crap happening that tells me I'm sliding into sleep rather than meditating. I hear people yelling my name, or various other bizarre and meaningless things, see dancing lizards and ugly faces. Erm, that's when I open my eyes or end the session (like I did last night). I meditated too late, and inevitably this is what happens, esp after having worked that evening.

Anyway @ThailandTom, I am going to spend time reading Buddhadasa's stuff, I'm open to all of it. I have an internal compass that I trust, and it is guiding me and so far so good. Meditation and samatha/vipassana is square in the viewer, with samatha as a foundation for vipassana. I'm still in the building foundation stage, to Buddhadasa's warnings go contrary to the obvious fruits I'm experiencing.

I'm only just beginning, and so over the years it makes sense that if I stay rigidly where I am today, it would be unskillful.

ThailandTom
  • jaejae Veteran
    @TheBeejAbides the moon/mood relationship fascinates me.

I think personally I'm affected during a full moon, I get emotional and sometimes just need to cry, this seems to sort it out (the body is made up of what 80% water? Think about how the moon affects the tides?) Just my thoughts btw.

Anyway I've worked as a receptionist in A&E I'm not a nurse and have no medical qualifications but there was always an increase in calls/visits from public with mental health issues during a full moon @anataman and @Citta you are both medical professionals? What are your thoughts?

As for dreams I have lots of vivid dreams but I put that down to the Prozac I take and the later I take it the more vivid the dreams are.
    Beej
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    @Jae at your age your and sex you are only about 50% water by now (when you were born you were probably mostly water, however as a female in the age bracket you profess to be in: http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/33/1/27.full.pdf+html - don't read it it is just a reference article - you are approximately 50% water!
    Full moon at the hospitals I've worked at are always marked by higher census (more admissions). When I worked in purely psychiatric settings, there seemed to be mild or moderate 'worsening' of the already present psych issues.

What I notice during full moon is that I *feel* a jagged edge in the moment-to-moment. A kind of discomfort like I get when I toss hay or straw and it gets into my bra. On edge. And when things do go wrong, as they do, they go wrong *worse* or more flamboyantly.

The house supervisors in my hospital are RNs, and I've gotten close(r) to a couple of them, and they talk about these really creepy cycles they see around full moons (more patients in the psych holding area) but worse are the bigger cycles that occur more on a yearly basis or with changes in the weather.

Up here in the Pacific NW, we get huge barometric swings in the fall, high to low pressure in a few hours, and suddenly the emergency room is full of people having strokes or other cardiovascular issues :eek: . Another darkly fascinating thing one told me is about how all the weak and very old die in mid to late winter. She said to look at history, and how this has always happened wherever there is a period of inclement weather (monsoons and rain in the more tropical areas). Winter/inclement season tends to . . . well, clean up the population to to speak. Ya can hardly call it an unpleasant thought when it is so obviously true and has been since, like, forever.

Wow, I sidetracked my own thread!! I can't help it, it's fascinating stuff.

As for dreams during moon phases, I've not noticed anything noticeable (that's what I mean to write above, but o great shock, I derailed myself).

It's not really a derailment, though. The causes of particular phenomena ought to be pondered, I want to ponder it along with feedback and guidance about meditation. It's all artificially separated out and made dualistic and pluralistic by our brains anyway.
    @jae - yeah i have made that connection before, too. there are "tides" within us, being pushed and pulled like the oceans during the moon cycles. its remarkable that we share this water relationship with our planet, both being composed of 70-80% water. Why wouldn't we be effected by the moon? Its interesting that many ancient belief systems were often tied to the moon phases. i often feel compelled to meditate at strange hours during the immediate days leading up to the full moon. bah! i much prefer the "waining" over the "waxing". and i notice it more so during the winter months. we just had a particularly fierce full moon last friday and my dreams were bat-shit crazy. :lol: i'm not going to pretend i understand the female menstrual cycle, but i know what its like to feel irrationally irratable once a month. oh boy.... i fear i've said too much. :)
    jae
    Part of PMS (premenstrual syndrome) is water retention. A long time ago some doctor (a psychiatrist resident I worked with) said that the irritability of PMS is partly due to being waterlogged. The brain is highly sensitive to fluid levels and the slightest bit of too-high pressure in the skull creates a full-body sense of irritability and over-sensitivity mental and physical. He may have been FOS, but then I thought about the over the counter remedies like Midol (here in the states) that has a bit of aspirin or acetaminophen and a DIURETIC in it. And bloating, yes, check that experience as well as the irritability and the few days in my cycle I was sure everyone was out to piss me off on purpose.

If the full moon makes the tides swell upward, why wouldn't it's gravity yank upward on our bodily fluids? Maybe a little increased intracranial pressure hmmm? No need to be female to experience that.
    Beejjae
    edited January 2014
    @Hamsaka- thank you for that info. thats what it can feel like for me during the full moon. over sensitivity, for sure. i actually mentioned the full moon and dreams because your OP reminded of that feeling. also, i looked at the date of your OP and guessed maybe you had just had some wild full moon dreams, too. that may not have been the case for your crazy dreams but i am sure glad you inspired me to ask about it. thanks! :thumbsup:
This discussion has been closed.