Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

shamata, concentration, and mindfulness

How do these terms relate to each other?

Comments

• ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    Maybe you should ask your teacher this one. Tried it yet?

You'll get a dozen or more different answers here and no two are likely to be the same. How to know which is right?

Get an answer that is praised by the wise. Ask your teacher.
    Jeffrey
  • shamatha is concentration.

concentration is focus on one object and building the momentum towards more and more focus leading to the absorption states.

mindfulness is a general focus on various objects. this too builds the momentum of concentration yet that isn't necessarily the emphasis. the emphasis being different dependent upon the intention and view of the individual implementing the practice.

the metaphor of contour drawing verse say drawing in general is what i'd use as the difference and similarity of concentration and mindfulness.

concentration being contour drawing. a specific focus on the outline of an object as you draw it. whereas mindfulness is the general principal of attention on object or objects.

another way to discuss this would be concentration focuses on say the tip of the nose. coming back the that specific spot continually as one gets distracted. this gradually becomes easier and easier and one develops the muscle and discipline.

whereas mindfulness could focus on the whole breathing process. in breath cold nose to neck to chest inflating and stomach jetting outwards to stomach moving towards spin chest and shoulders move downward and breath leaves nose as warm air. then one could even be mindful of the various sensations, thoughts, feelings, visuals, audios, etc. It's a more fluid process and can tend to be more expansive in nature.

mindfulness could also have a specific intention. say you have the intention to learn about impermanence. so you bring the view of impermanence to what you experience. and all experience has the context of impermanence, which leads to more and more letting go, relaxation, etc.

when both fuse into one activity then we have meditation (expansive awareness and focused awareness). kind of like being able to see the whole composition of an artwork and then also see how the different objects are separate and relate to each other.

the point of all this is insight and letting go. so one can start to see how attention builds the arena of perception. linking and unlinking. one can start to tease out the variables/condition that factor into building perception. by seeing how perception is built then one can automatically see how perception is unbuilt.

one needs both focus that is like a laser and can hold an object. and also a focus that is wide and expansive. tight and loose all at once.
    lobsteranatamankarastiJeffrey
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    @Chaz, I don't think it's really fair, in my opinion anyhow, to just repeatedly tell anyone who asks a question in the forums to find a teacher. For example, I have a teacher, but he is not always available, sometimes he is gone many months. So I ask questions here. That is what the place is for, after all.

@Jeffrey, just wanted to say that Trungpa Rinpoche's book goes into this. ALOT. There is an entire like 150 page section just on Shamata. Excellent book. "The Profound Treasure of the Ocean of Dharma Volume One: The Path of Individual Liberation." It's just too much information for me to attempt to put in my own words. But well worth reading.
    Jeffrey
    karasti said:

@Chaz, I don't think it's really fair, in my opinion anyhow, to just repeatedly tell anyone who asks a question in the forums to find a teacher.

@Jeffrey already has a teacher. Talks about her all the time. Same practice lineage as my teacher, actually.

His question is a perfect question for a teacher and probably one of the worst to post to a forum.

My teacher and I are apart all the time, but I can still send an email. He has wisely set up a network of senior teachers I can call upon and our resident lama is always available for consultation. For a question like Jeffrey's I'd go to my Practice Instructor first.

You'll probably notice I don't pose many practice or study questions here. There's a reason for that. I have teachers who will give me straight, honest and consistent answers in keeping with our study and practice lineage. Every. Single. Time. These are people who know me and my practice and study history personally. I don't see any point in fielding a dozen different answers when an appropriate answer is a phone call or email away.

I will continue to recommend that people find a similar arrangement. It can be done, even if you live in Flin Flon, Manitoba. The blessings cannot be measured.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    You assume that every question a person posts is because they are seeking for someone to give them an answer. Many times, people post questions just to see what others think. Nothing wrong with that. I know @Jeffrey has a teacher which is why I'm unsure why you are automatically assuming he has not, or is not already planning to, discuss the question with her.

My teacher is gone for 6 months at a time in Asia, mostly unreachable by email. There are other teachers who fill in and senior students who can help as well. But he encourages us to discuss and debate with each other as well. Often times, we find we learn the most when we are giving answers to others. So, it is helpful to think of questions the same way. We might learn more in attempting to answer the question ourselves. So I, for one, am glad everyone doesn't take the difficult questions just to their teachers because there are a lot of them I'd never hear. I appreciate questions that make me think about what my answers would be, even though I am not ready to offer them as an answer yet.
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited March 2014
    shamata = samatha, concentration = samadhi, mindfulness = sati

Samatha is a form of meditation or mental cultivation that leads to calm and composed as opposed to vipassana(when yoked to samatha) which gives rise to wisdom or insight into reality. The mind that is in samadhi is focussed and composed.
    "Monks, these are the four developments of concentration. Which four? There is the development of concentration that, when developed & pursued, leads to a pleasant abiding in the here & now. There is the development of concentration that, when developed & pursued, leads to the attainment of knowledge & vision. There is the development of concentration that, when developed & pursued, leads to mindfulness & alertness. There is the development of concentration that, when developed & pursued, leads to the ending of the effluents.

"And what is the development of concentration that, when developed & pursued, leads to the ending of the effluents? There is the case where a monk remains focused on arising & falling away with reference to the five clinging-aggregates: 'Such is form, such its origination, such its passing away. Such is feeling, such its origination, such its passing away. Such is perception, such its origination, such its passing away. Such are fabrications, such their origination, such their passing away. Such is consciousness, such its origination, such its disappearance.' This is the development of concentration that, when developed & pursued, leads to the ending of the effluents.
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an04/an04.041.than.html
    The word sati, which we translate ‘mindfulness’, means ‘memory’, and was originally used by Brahmans in the sense of memorized Vedic scriptures. To effectively recall large bodies of text, you get into a zone of clarity and presence, free of distractions. This was one of the influences in developing what we today call ‘meditation’.

The Buddha adopted this Brahmanical usage, and used sati to for both ‘memory’ (of texts) and ‘presence of mind’ in meditation.

Modern teachings on mindfulness are almost exclusively derived from a peculiar 20th century interpretation of one text, the Pali
    Satipatthana Sutta. This doctrine, the vipassanavada, says that satipatthana is a practice of ‘dry insight’, where the meditator, without previous practice of tranquility meditation, is ‘mindful’ of the changing phenomena of experience. This alone is sufficient to realize enlightenment.

When we carefully consider the range of teachings found in early Buddhist texts on mindfulness, it becomes clear that this doctrine does not hold up.

http://sujato.wordpress.com/2011/01/18/a-brief-history-of-mindfulness/
    Jeffrey
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2014
    @Chaz, I can see your point and the point I see is that this particular question would be a good one to ask (to Lama Shenpen). As opposed to another question. I would be unsure how many questions I should ask Lama Shenpen. She is in semi-retreat. So I am trying to assess this particular question. Trying to flesh it out until in my mind it is the question that can help me.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Jeffrey said:

How do these terms relate to each other?

If you're using English for concentration and mindfulness then it might be useful to think about an English term for shamata. In the suttas samatha is often translated as "tranquillity", which I think gives a food feel for the quality involved.

These 3 terms are closely related but not synonymous.

• Slightly OT: I have a student I was supposed to be teaching statistics/machine learning to, but he's more interested in talking about Buddhism. A couple of weeks ago, we spent about an hour nailing down the differences between concentration and mindfulness.
    Jeffrey said:

@Chaz, I can see your point and the point I see is that this particular question would be a good one to ask (to Lama Shenpen). As opposed to another question. I would be unsure how many questions I should ask Lama Shenpen. She is in semi-retreat.

You should ask as many questions as you like. I don't know what a "semi-retreat" is or why you can't send a email with a question. What's the worst that can happen, Lama isn't reading email? Has lama-la appointed any senior teachers? Does your sangha have meditation instructors?

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2014
    @Chaz, if you cannot offer assistance, fine. But please quit advising people to go some place else and to pose their questions to a teacher. If they want to, they will, but while they're here, it's presumably where they want to ask first, or as well. So either answer or don't. But let them be. OK? Thank you .
    JeffreyInvincible_summerlobster
  • @Chaz, I don't live in England where my Lama lives. I only ask questions that I cannot answer for myself. She went into semi-retreat because she was feeling bad or sick. That's kinda humanizes a guru that they actually can get feeling bad. Doesn't it? I haven't talked to my 'contact person' in maybe 4 years. Just lost touch with him.
  • :buck:

I'm too stoopid to know the difference. I thought concentrate was a form of undiluted drink.
    Maybe I need to be more mindful.

Shamatha???

Isn't that where you casually sit around, wondering when it will be time for a nice drink of tea?
    Wait that may be 'sham at tea time' . . . oh I dunno
    :scratch:

. . . sounds like you iz becoming a 'serious practitioner' @Jeffery. Don't let it effect your innate Doofus Nature (similar to Beginners Mind but more like 'Toddlers Mind') :vimp:
    Jeffrey