Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

volitional formation (sankhara)

have you ever noticed that 'the life is just a process of happening' all the time

'the process of happening' is meant by volitional formation

the present experience (getting through eye, ear etc.) is the past volitional formation

ignorance to above creates new volitional formation

(this is the circle of birth and death)

lobsterHamsakaVictorious

Comments

• ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran

nice

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I think I'm getting one of my headaches.....

lobsterBuddhadragon
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

Yes to the first sentence - it is a meditative state, where buddha may be recognised fully in it's entirety.

No to the second sentence - these are your assumptions, and they are based on ignorance.

No to the third sentence - this is what happens when you are ignorant - note well: this word is made up of ignore (look up definition) and rant (also look up definition - it's for you to research this stuff if you are going to comment) - but re ( mental note - what does this prefix mean?) is missing from the conjoining of these 2 words...

Yes or No to the fourth sentence - it doesn't matter what the reply is now because the initial state has been replaced with unfounded assertions and assumptions.

Why have I opposed the 3 subsequent statements? Well because I agree with the first statement, it resonates with me, but the subsequent 'assertions' and 'assumptions' have no basis'. Life has no controlling force IMHO, that you might call volition or might be called 'will', for instance.

Will "will I am' conquer the world - lol

Poetry and semantics!

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

ignorance definitely produces karma. That's exactly how it is stated in the teachings of the nidanas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelve_Nidānas

• upekkaupekka Veteran

thanks friends, for your contribution

i have nothing further to say

dear federica, if you think it is better to close this thread do it, please

loving-kindness and compassion to all !!!

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@upekka said:
    have you ever noticed that 'the life is just a process of happening' all the time
    'the process of happening' is meant by volitional formation

I think the "process of happening" is represented by all 5 aggregates, not just volitional formations.

Jeffrey
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@upekka said:
    thanks friends, for your contribution

i have nothing further to say

dear federica, if you think it is better to close this thread do it, please

loving-kindness and compassion to all !!!

>

Why would I think that?

Don't be so touchy!

:0)

• wangchueywangchuey Veteran
    edited May 2014

saṅkhāra:
    Formation, compound, fashioning, fabrication — the forces and factors that fashion things (physical or mental), the process of fashioning, and the fashioned things that result. Saṅkhāra can refer to anything formed or fashioned by conditions, or, more specifically, (as one of the five khandhas) thought-formations within the mind.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/glossary.html#s

• upekkaupekka Veteran

@SpinyNorman said:
    I think the "process of happening" is represented by all 5 aggregates, not just volitional formations.

you are correct

but

'abhi sankhara sankaranthi' means

'form aggregate' is recreated by volitional formation

'feeling aggregate' is recreated by volitional formation

'perception aggregate' is recreated by volitional formation

'consciousness aggregate' is recreated by volitional formation

'volitional formation' itself is recreated by volitional formation aggregate

JeffreyVictoriousZenshin
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited May 2014

@federica said:

no dear,
    i was not touchy

i thought this thread would make confusion and i did not wanted to make it happen again

• upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited May 2014

@wangchuey said:
    saṅkhāra:
    Formation, compound, fashioning, fabrication — the forces and factors that fashion things (physical or mental), the process of fashioning, and the fashioned things that result. Saṅkhāra can refer to anything formed or fashioned by conditions, or, more specifically, (as one of the five khandhas) thought-formations within the mind.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/glossary.html#s

thanks,
    it confirms what i have seen

thanks again

sova
  • The mind fabricates, fashions or creates meaning out of experiences/phenomenon.

*sankhara [sankhaara]:Formation, compound, fashioning, fabrication — the forces and factors that fashion things (physical or mental), the process of fashioning, and the fashioned things that result. Sankhara can refer to anything formed or fashioned by conditions, or, more specifically, (as one of the five khandhas) thought-formations within the mind.

"Now suppose that a man desiring heartwood, in quest of heartwood, seeking heartwood, were to go into a forest carrying a sharp axe.

There he would see a large banana tree: straight, young, of enormous height. He would cut it at the root and, having cut it at the root, would chop off the top. Having chopped off the top, he would peel away the outer skin. Peeling away the outer skin, he wouldn't even find sapwood, to say nothing of heartwood (this is also like a peeling an onion..no eye in the center).

Then a man with good eyesight would see it, observe it, & appropriately examine it. To him — seeing it, observing it, & appropriately examining it — it would appear empty, void, without substance: for what substance would there be in a banana tree?

In the same way, a monk sees, observes, & appropriately examines any fabrications (volition formations/mental formation) that are past, future, or present; internal or external; blatant or subtle; common or sublime; far or near. To him — seeing them, observing them, & appropriately examining them — they would appear empty, void, without substance: for what substance would there be in fabrications?

Phena Sutta -Foam

Victorious

@upekka said:
    'abhi sankhara sankaranthi'

I'd be interested to know the source of this - and are we sure that sankhara here refers specifically to the formations aggregate, or to the wider meaning of formations as anything which is conditioned?

• upekkaupekka Veteran

@‌ spinyNorman

following source for 'abhi sankhara sankarothi':

1).  samutta nikaya Book 3) , kandha vagga - 8. kajjaniya sutta

and

2).  in  petokopadesa -several places where bavasrava is mentioned

(one of my friend gave me those source)

tell you the truth, i did not read them

that is because most of the time i listen to dhamma sermons given by teachers and meditate on them to see the truth in them

answer to the next part of the question:

there are three category of sankhara namely citta, vacci and kaya sankhara

citta sankhara has 1). punnabhi sankhara (skilful volition), 2).apunnabhi sankhara (unskilful volition) and 3).anenjhabhi sankhara (impertable volition -5th, 6th, 7th,and 8th jhana)

vacci sankhara has all 1)., 2)., and 3).,

kaya sankhara has all 1)., 2)., and 3).,

so

you can say formation aggregate as well as wider meaning of formations

Out of interest @upekka do you think we need to go, or can we even discuss, beyond the 4th jhana?

• upekkaupekka Veteran

@anataman said:
    Out of interest upekka do you think we need to go, or can we even discuss, beyond the 4th jhana?

we do not need to go beyond 4th jhana to understand Dhamma (to get the Right View/sotapanna/First stage of Dhamma knowledge)

we can not discuss jhana beyond 4th jhana because they are states of the mind of a person who experience them

Yes I agree with your comments. Thank you.

@upekka said:
    we can not discuss jhana beyond 4th jhana because they are states of the mind of a person who experience them

That applies to all jhanic states, doesn't it?

@SpinyNorman said: That applies to all jhanic states, doesn't it?

Thank goodness you said that. Believe it or not, I was thinking the same thing, but actually thought such logic was somehow too basic and thus, flawed!
    But it really is a valid point....

• upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited May 2014

@SpinyNorman said: That applies to all jhanic states, doesn't it?

yes and no

yes,

because all jhanas are the mind states of a person who do meditation

they are different states of calmness of the mind

no,

because for the first four jhana can be diferenciate with their qualities namely,

first jhana has vitakka vicara, piti, suka, ekaggatha ( someone who knows english terms could provide them for the benefit for who doesn't understand pali terms, please)

second jhana has pithi, suka, ekaggatha

third jhana has suka, ekaggatha

4th jhana has ekaggatha (upekka)

when one's mind is calm, one can verify whether one has such qualities in one's mind

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

The Buddha did say that the range of a meditater in Jhana is an imponderable. That is probably different from knowing which jhana they are in. Not sure what 'range' here means.

• upekkaupekka Veteran

@Jeffrey said:
    The Buddha did say that the range of a meditater in Jhana is an imponderable. That is probably different from knowing which jhana they are in. Not sure what 'range' here means.

imponderable

because looking at a person who is in meditation, no one can say in which jhana state he is or just he is thinking all the rubbish he collected before he sit for meditation

range is in between 'meditation calmness as we gain when we are meditating' and 'calmness of the mind state that has no sanna (perception) vedaitha (feeling)'

so range includes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 jhanas

instead of thinking about these different jhana states, it is more important to get a calm state of mind by using any of meditation objectives like breathing, loving-kindness, buddhanussathi etc.

turn that calm mind to analysis (dhamma-viccaya) the dhamma we have read or listen to gain the Right View (Noble Right View)

once we get that so many questions will be solved

@upekka said:

The formless jhanas also have attributes that can be differentiated - see for example this extract from MN111 which describes the qualities of the first formless jhana, infinite space:

"....perceiving, 'Infinite space,' Sariputta entered & remained in the dimension of the infinitude of space. Whatever qualities there are in the dimension of the infinitude of space — the perception of the dimension of the infinitude of space, singleness of mind, contact, feeling, perception, intention, consciousness, desire, decision, persistence, mindfulness, equanimity, & attention — he ferreted them out one after another".

Sorry to go off topic!

upekka

Your post contains the word "jhana". AFAIAC, you're on topic...

• upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited May 2014

@SpinyNorman said:
    Sorry to go off topic!

as federica said you are not going off topic

all formless jhanas are aanenja sankhara -imperturbable volitional formations

however discussing them -infinite space, infinite consciousness, nothingness and neither-nor-perception states- is fruitless

they (including first four jhanas) are to be experienced, not just for discussion

it is fruitful if one can discuss them with one's teacher with the experience one gets through one's meditation

• upekkaupekka Veteran

Tipitaka

Anguttara Nikaya
    Cetana Sutta: An Act of Will
    translated from the Pali by
    Thanissaro Bhikkhu
    © 1997

"For a person endowed with virtue, consummate in virtue, there is no need for an act of will, 'May freedom from remorse arise in me.' It is in the nature of things that freedom from remorse arises in a person endowed with virtue, consummate in virtue.

"For a person free from remorse, there is no need for an act of will, 'May joy arise in me.' It is in the nature of things that joy arises in a person free from remorse.

"For a joyful person, there is no need for an act of will, 'May rapture arise in me.' It is in the nature of things that rapture arises in a joyful person.

"For a rapturous person, there is no need for an act of will, 'May my body be serene.' It is in the nature of things that a rapturous person grows serene in body.

"For a person serene in body, there is no need for an act of will, 'May I experience pleasure.' It is in the nature of things that a person serene in body experiences pleasure.

"For a person experiencing pleasure, there is no need for an act of will, 'May my mind grow concentrated.' It is in the nature of things that the mind of a person experiencing pleasure grows concentrated.

"For a person whose mind is concentrated, there is no need for an act of will, 'May I know & see things as they actually are.' It is in the nature of things that a person whose mind is concentrated knows & sees things as they actually are.

"For a person who knows & sees things as they actually are, there is no need for an act of will, 'May I feel disenchantment.' It is in the nature of things that a person who knows & sees things as they actually are feels disenchantment.

"For a person who feels disenchantment, there is no need for an act of will, 'May I grow dispassionate.' It is in the nature of things that a person who feels disenchantment grows dispassionate.

"For a dispassionate person, there is no need for an act of will, 'May I realize the knowledge & vision of release.' It is in the nature of things that a dispassionate person realizes the knowledge & vision of release.

"In this way, dispassion has knowledge & vision of release as its purpose, knowledge & vision of release as its reward. Disenchantment has dispassion as its purpose, dispassion as its reward. Knowledge & vision of things as they actually are has disenchantment as its purpose, disenchantment as its reward. Concentration has knowledge & vision of things as they actually are as its purpose, knowledge & vision of things as they actually are as its reward. Pleasure has concentration as its purpose, concentration as its reward. Serenity has pleasure as its purpose, pleasure as its reward. Rapture has serenity as its purpose, serenity as its reward. Joy has rapture as its purpose, rapture as its reward. Freedom from remorse has joy as its purpose, joy as its reward. Skillful virtues have freedom from remorse as their purpose, freedom from remorse as their reward.

"In this way, mental qualities lead on to mental qualities, mental qualities bring mental qualities to their consummation, for the sake of going from the near to the Further Shore."

• mmommo Veteran
    edited May 2014

@upekka said:
    yes and no

First jhana
    vitakka = applied thought
    vicara = sustained thought
    piti = rapture
    sukha = happiness
    ekaggata = one-pointedness

Second jhana
    pithi, suka, ekaggatha (Same as above)