Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhists & Easter

edited December 2005 in Faith & Religion
Okay so a few months ago prime was able to provide a very clear explanation as to why, as a buddhist, christmas is still a time to celebrate (based on who jesus was, what he did, etc). This coming weekend is Easter. Since I was raised catholic, my mother has asked that I come home this weekend for easter dinner with family and relatives. This is no problem to me, I would love to have some home cooked dinner, see aunts/uncles/cousins, do some laundry...

But anyways, I am wondering where, religiously, buddhist stand on this catholic holiday. The issues I see here are that, once again, we are talking about a day celebrating jesus, who we all know did many great things in the world, regardless of who he may or may not have been. However, unlike christmas, this day is specifically aimed at celebrating his reincarnation after his crucifixion. On one hand, that sounds remarkable in line with rebirth and the like. On the other hand, this also has the implication that he was reborn due to the fact that he was the god made human.

I guess I am just curious for an explanation on this one. Prime? help? ;)

Comments

• BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited April 2004
    Easter is strange - even the catholic holiday is sort of a mixed bag (as you know, I was raised catholic as well).

In a strictly religious sense, easter is a holiday celebrating the christ's resurrection, and many christians consider it the most important christian holiday.

However, in a cultural sense, Easter sort of predates christianity, and some scholars speculate that the easter celebration was sort of "tacked on" to pagan fertility celebrations and other springtime rituals. The whole easter egg deal is a remnant of some of these pagan rites.

In a religious sense, Buddhists of course have no reason to celebrate the resurrection of christ because most buddhists don't believe that christ was divine. Many don't even believe that he died on the cross. In a sense, we could say that christ was reborn as all beings are reborn, but there is no reason to celebrate it, being as it is just part of the natural cycle of things.

However, to maintain peace in the family and to walk the middle path, american buddhists should take every opportunity to celebrate any holiday with their family. If it makes grandma and mom happy then there is no reason not to go through all the motions. Only you will know that the motions don't have as much meaning to you.

Although I get the sense that many christians also "merely go through the motions" as well :P
  • edited April 2004
    Thanks brian for the clear explanation... pretty much what i was thinking.

I guess I have taken to "going through the motions" for my family's sake when it comes to catholic religious holidays. I just use the time as an oppurtunity to see family and the like. I still haven't sprung my buddhism on my family because I frankly don't think that they are mature or openminded enough to handle it, so I just go with the flow and don't participate in religious activities (church, prayer, etc). Seeing as how I am used to this, easter should be no problem.
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited April 2004
    ...I'm in a similar boat... except I just told them an hour and a half ago I was Buddhist.

My parents are generally as opened minded as Republicans can be ;) but let me use the fact that I'm typing this at a friend's house as an indication of how well it went. My dad was "flabbergasted" but generally just went along with it. My mom on the other hand had "nothing to say" and is probably still watching TV in the dark downstairs.

How can I present Buddhism to them in a way that will help them see I haven't become some cultist who worships figurines? (Or, more importantly, a way that won't cause them to stop talking to me on religious holidays).

I guess I can rule out going to church with them tomorrow... :unsure:
    edited April 2004
    You should have waited until after Easter :lol:

Look, my grandma was pretty much the same way. Add to your situation the fact that she is very old and "set in her ways", and believe me, I understand what you're going through.

I hope it helps you to know that you're not alone...

Take the middle path - tell them that buddhism is not a religion. Tell them that you still believe in Jesus (that helps a LOT) - you don't need to tell them that you don't believe Jesus was a deity (or maybe you do, I'm not sure.. I personally don't) - but most importantly, let them know that Buddhism does not preclude or invalidate christianity. Tell them that Buddha is not worshipped or prayed to, and that the statues are ultimately meaningless and that you do not worship them. These things are important bits of information to Christians.

I'll have more advice later, but I have to go celebrate Easter with my family now... :lol:
    edited April 2004
    Originally posted by Brian@Apr 11 2004, 04:20 PM
    You should have waited until after Easter :lol:
    Yeah... I think I got that... :rolleyes:

My main issue is that they expected me to go to church and take communion and the whole nine yards. I've been playing this game for a long time now and I'm finally at a place where I have enough self-confidence that I don't want to pretend anymore. I shouldn't have to pretend to make my parents happy when it's screwing me up.

I did explain that Buddhism does not involve worship and does not preclude Christianity. I did tell them, though, that I have problems with the deification of Jesus and the model of God as a moralizer who would send us to hell and yet is said to have unconditional love for us. I told them I still believe in a loving god, just not in the same terms as Christianity likes to put it.

The main issue is my mom sees it as a personal failure and the end of traditions and that sort of stuff... I explained how neither of those things is true, but she just needs time I guess. My dad doesn't have much invested in it and just went with it it seems. :unsure:
    edited April 2004
    Yeah, the end of tradition... It's a funny thing.

Today at Easter dinner, the whole family just started eating, no "grace".... My dad (of all people) said "Jeez we don't even say grace anymore" and everyone just gave a nervous giggle.

I think the deep down truth is that none of them really believes, because there are just too many hypocrisies and contradictions within Catholicism... I think that none of them has the courage to admit it.

Even my grandmother one time told me that deep down inside, she doubts that the catholic church is a "good" organization ... She still gives them her money, but deep down, she wonders what they are doing with it.

It's too bad. The Catholic church ruined christianity for a good many people.
  • edited April 2004
    Oh man, so many things i could say...

Matt: Oh man, I applaud you for having the strength to tell them. I'm impressed. I have still not told anything to my parents, although I never go to mass and I put up a HUGE fight whenever they (my mom) tries to make me go. Once my step-dad interrupted me meditating after we had had a fight about something, so I think maybe he has some clue. Luckily for me, Easter was quite enjoyable this year. My mom didn't even make an attempt to get us all to mass, so that potential sore spot was avoided. I dunno when I will tell them, but I can imagine that it will probably go about as well as it went for you. Mostly I have put it off because I don't think that they are open-minded enough to handle it, and why bother rocking their world when I will be moved out for good in a matter of months. I think that the main problem faced with telling parents is exactly what you ran into: Their belief in "god" and the alternate stance that you and me and any other buddhist may take.

Brian: Exactly, the church certainly did ruin christianity for a lot of people. I would like to suggest, if you guys haven't already read it, The Da Vinci Code. Excellent book! Firmly cemented my long-held belief that the church as an organization is a bad thing. I was posed with the question while talking about the book with someone, "Would you take down the church if you had that oppurtunity?" After a little thought, however, I said no for the simple reason that while the church has done a number of bad things along the way and is certainly an organization with many problems, on the whole having a world full of people believe in something and using that as direction for a good life is a very good thing. Now, granted, thats not my religion, but I do feel that it is better to have some religion than no religion (unless your religion encourages you to kill other people :( )
    edited April 2004
    I was home again this weekend, and everything was 100% normal with no mention of religion at all. I guess that's a good thing... :unsure:
    edited April 2004
    Expect the next step to be:

"Matt's just going through a silly phase right now. Soon he'll come to his senses" :P

Two years now, and my grandmother is still in that phase :blink:
  • edited April 2004
    One of my aunts knows about my issues with the catholic church and that I do not go to mass... I heard the comment "Well you young kids will all come back to the church when you are older and more mature." She got a blank stare and an abrupt about-face from me on that one
    edited April 2004
    Well, it's easy to understand their viewpoint. They are afraid, and they are saddened by what they perceive as a loss of their traditions. It's hard to make people understand that this can be considered an evolutionary step as opposed to a revolutionary one. Especially when those people are the family elders and they've got 30,40,50, 60 + years of tradition and indoctrination built into them.
  • edited April 2004
    I agree completely... Their traditional roots is exactly why I try to avoid any and all discussions/debates on religion, politics etc with my relatives... Nothing good would ever come of a conversation like that... While I would like them to understand my own beliefs and to accept that I have them, sometimes I feel that it isn't worth the time or effort to try to convince them of that. Also there is something to be said for allowing people who have lived with their traditions all their life to just continue to be ignorant of other ideas... At least they won't worry so much about it, they can live their ignorant lives in peace.

(that probably sounds worse than i mean it to, but i don't know how else to say it)

Oh and prime, thanks for the congrats message on my grad school thing... I never got a chance to get back to you :D
    edited April 2004
    You're welcome :)

As with all things, the best path is the middle path. :)
  • edited April 2004
    Originally posted by Brian@Apr 26 2004, 08:53 PM
    As with all things, the best path is the middle path.  :)
    Agreed
  • edited December 2004
    Quick note... many historians have linked the Easter holiday to the Germanic tribes celebration of their goddess Ester. The festival was a Spring planting and fertility event.

Ester's avatar was the rabbit... or bunny... I.E., Ester's Bunny or Easter Bunny.
    edited December 2004
    Yeah, both Christmas and Easter have as much pagan and mystic tradition in them as they do Christian.
  • edited December 2004
    I just love that Jesus was born in the summer not the winter, but hey, plan a party around someone elses party... sounds good to me. Two for one.....
    edited February 2005
    I'm sticking this thread as a good example of what people can expect when they announce to their families that they are exploring the buddhist path :D
  • edited March 2005
    my parents really weren't too interested or upset after learning about
    my choice to practice the middle path.my mom tries to relate to me by buying
    me different Buddha statues(which she refers to as a girl)
    and by printing off buddha pics from her computer and giving them to me.
    she even bought a meditation kit! this was for herself though. it contained cards
    with different topics to meditate on and the box even turned into a little altar-
    with a glossy pic of the buddha. needless to say she never used it .she's really not
    interested in learning about Buddhism,i've tried to share the basics with her.only because
    i want to see her happy.but it's too abstract to her. she apprectiates the images,the asian motiff and other products but not the teachings.(like most westerners)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2005
    Hello folks,
    Easter is just about as on shaky a ground as any festival could be... A brief 'nutshell' diatribe....
    The word Easter is derived from the greek OEstros meaning fertile. This is where we get our word Oestrogen from.... so the Christians did hyjack this festival from the pagans. hence Easter EGGS....symbols of fertility, abundance and heavy waistlines... Furthermore, the Christian Easter weekend is calculated according to the phases of the moon (the second full moon after the vernal equinox, I think....!) Very Holy!
    The word Pasqua (Italian) and Paques (French) are derived from the Jewish word for 'Passover' when the Angel of Death spared the Jews from the Heavenly wrath and cull of firstborns. They ate mutton to celebrate. that's why traditionally, Easter lunch should be roast lamb.
    So if anyone feels entitled to comment on your Buddhist faith, tell them that at least it's less confusing.....! :lol:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2005
    hello, everyone,
    I'd just like to take this opportunity to wish everyone who celebrates Easter to have a really happy one, and to enjoy and revel in whatever ways you choose to celebrate. It's a time to be reborn, leave the 'old things' behind and to start anew. This is taken by many to be the real beginning of the Christian year, so hope you have a wonderul one. Any resolutions? remember what they say about chocolate: a minute in the mouth, an hour in the belly and two years on the hips..... :lol:
  • edited April 2005
    I'm just noticing this thread on easter - i'm a little slow sometimes. I am pretty busy during the week so I don't have much time to get on the computer then. Last Sunday, we celebrated easter and I didn't really have any qualms about it (which now that i'm thinking about it seems odd). My daughter is 4 years old and we colored Easter eggs and I snuck outside to hide them and after she found them all she got treats and her easter baskets and then we had a roast beef for lunch. I guess it helps that my significant other's parents brought all the food and his mother cooked it (something i just don't do). But I guess, as an American, this is a holiday that I enjoyed because of the easter eggs and candy more than I ever thought of it as a religious holiday anyway. I knew what the meaning of it was, but never thought about it unless reminded. So this year, I wasn't even thinking of Jesus. I guess I don't want to take away Christmas and Easter from my daughter because most other kids celebrate them and they are fun for kids. She probably will not contemplate the real religious meaning that much either (just like me). I don't even think we have told her why we celebrate Christmas or Easter because I guess it was never that important to me. I feel a little guilty for that but my beliefs have always been a little different. I hope it is okay to celebrate these holidays even though we don't celebrate them for the religious reasons. It is hard combining American culture w/ buddhist beliefs. I would like to celebrate buddhist holidays also - hopefully they aren't as commercialized as Easter and Christmas. Any ideas on that? I am starting to introduce a little bit of Buddhism to her and I would rather her learn about that than jesus. Like last night, she asked about my mala beads and I tried explaining chanting and she tried it for a little bit (it was very cute by the way), that felt right but when she tries to say grace because that is what they do at daycare - that seems weird to me. Plus I am reading her children's stories about Buddha and she seems to enjoy them. I guess I have started ranting now but I just hope that I am doing the right thing by introducing buddhism to her instead of the traditional christian values that were forced upon me as a child. I just want what is best for her. By the way, my significant other thinks it is a good idea to introduce buddhism to her even though he is not buddhist (he is very accepting and supportive of me).
    edited April 2005
    Amanda wrote:
    I'm just noticing this thread on easter - i'm a little slow sometimes. I am pretty busy during the week so I don't have much time to get on the computer then. Last Sunday, we celebrated easter and I didn't really have any qualms about it (which now that i'm thinking about it seems odd). My daughter is 4 years old and we colored Easter eggs and I snuck outside to hide them and after she found them all she got treats and her easter baskets and then we had a roast beef for lunch. I guess it helps that my significant other's parents brought all the food and his mother cooked it (something i just don't do). But I guess, as an American, this is a holiday that I enjoyed because of the easter eggs and candy more than I ever thought of it as a religious holiday anyway. I knew what the meaning of it was, but never thought about it unless reminded. So this year, I wasn't even thinking of Jesus. I guess I don't want to take away Christmas and Easter from my daughter because most other kids celebrate them and they are fun for kids. She probably will not contemplate the real religious meaning that much either (just like me). I don't even think we have told her why we celebrate Christmas or Easter because I guess it was never that important to me. I feel a little guilty for that but my beliefs have always been a little different. I hope it is okay to celebrate these holidays even though we don't celebrate them for the religious reasons. It is hard combining American culture w/ buddhist beliefs. I would like to celebrate buddhist holidays also - hopefully they aren't as commercialized as Easter and Christmas. Any ideas on that? I am starting to introduce a little bit of Buddhism to her and I would rather her learn about that than jesus. Like last night, she asked about my mala beads and I tried explaining chanting and she tried it for a little bit (it was very cute by the way), that felt right but when she tries to say grace because that is what they do at daycare - that seems weird to me. Plus I am reading her children's stories about Buddha and she seems to enjoy them. I guess I have started ranting now but I just hope that I am doing the right thing by introducing buddhism to her instead of the traditional christian values that were forced upon me as a child. I just want what is best for her. By the way, my significant other thinks it is a good idea to introduce buddhism to her even though he is not buddhist (he is very accepting and supportive of me).

To my kids, christmas and easter are simply cultural holidays instead of religious ones. My family, even though they are catholics, all but ignores the religious aspects of the holidays anyway. We haven't said a prayer or grace or even mentioned jesus at either holiday in a very, very long time. I choose not to participate in the hypocrisy, so I do not pretend to my children that we are celebrating the resurrection of Jesus at easter. I tell them easter is a celebration of spring and the rebirth of all life. Christmas is a celebration of family and the spirit of giving.

It's fun seeing how kids try to imitate mom and dad with meditation and chanting. I don't pretend that my kids are ready to understand meditation yet (they are 7 and 5), but at least they are becoming familiar with the motions :)
    edited April 2005
    Forgive me if I appear to be playing 'Devil's Advocate' (which on reflection may not be the most appropriate term - !) but by denying, preventing, avoiding or ignoring the religious aspect of what after all are national - if not virtually global - celebrations, are we not subscribing to the very behaviour we feel uncomfortable about, when other religions 'dismiss' Buddhism?
    My personal angle would be to educate the children roundly on what the festivals are about, mention also the Pagan origins if appropriate, but give them the whole picture, in as complete a way as they can absorb, age-wise, and give them the credit for being curious, and making up their own minds? As a Buddhist, it goes without question as to where my loyalties lie. But I would never take it upon myself to just give my side of the argument to impressionable minds..... :)
    edited April 2005
    Well, perhaps I should clarify. My kids are too young to really understand the whole story at any rate. It is impossible for them to NOT know about Jesus and christianity in general, members of my family try to indoctrinate them sometimes, not to mention the fact that we live in a very predominantly christian country, and so whether or not you want to avoid it, they know about god and jesus from school, friends, friends' parents, advertising, churches every block, etc. There's no avoiding it, so we definitely DO tell the kids what the celebrations, holidays, and festivals mean to christian people. For example we say "christians believe that Jesus came back to life today and this is why they celebrate easter"... That's why I tried to make clear:
    Brian wrote:
    ...I do not pretend to my children that we are celebrating the resurrection of Jesus at easter...

Because my kids know that I do not believe that jesus rose from the dead. My seven year old especially has asked many pointed questions about jesus and god. We teach them to respect other people's beliefs, but also let them know that mom and dad do not share those beliefs. When they are of age, they will be allowed to choose whatever path suits them. One thing I respect a lot about my parents is that they allowed ME to choose my path when I was a teenager. They did not force me into christianity, and I will not force my children into buddhism, especially since that would be antithetical to the very core purpose of the buddhist path.
  • edited April 2005
    Federica that is a good point that I should not only show her one way because that is what I want her to believe. When I say I haven't explained the meanings of the holidays it doesn't mean she hasn't heard them. I think if she asks questions I should always be open to explaining them even though I don't choose to follow that path. I would like to be very open w/ her and that way she can follow her heart and feel at peace w/ whatever decisions she makes about beliefs and religion. We were just watching a special about the pope on television. I try not to put down others for their beliefs because that is their situation and their business. Also a lot of times it has to do with how a person is raised or brought up. I just hope to offer her some guidance and it would make me very happy if she shared some of my beliefs. But you are right, that we should not minimize the importance of other people's beliefs.
    edited April 2005
    Thank you for that folks! You can always trust me to put my little wooden spoon in and give it all a good stir! I thought we were getting set for a good, all-round controversial, animated and lively discussion, but it appears that we're all sensible, well-rounded, educated and broad-minded people after all....*sigh*...! :lol:
    edited April 2005
    My mother who is Italian and now in her seventies, has always practised Catholicism, because that's what she was taught, and that is how she was raised. She is by now probably a bit too advanced to 'change her spots', but nevertheless, her innate curiosity and thirst for knowledge has stood her in good stead.
    She is a fully qualified Aromatherapist and Reflexologist, and is an avid student of Yoga. These different disciplines have brought her into close contact with other streams of thought & beliefs, many of which she has adopted and taken on board, as complimentary to her own personal angle on her Faith. She and I have had many long and fruitful discussions on all things spiritual, and while at times we have agreed to differ, she has never voiced objections or opposed my personal stance.
    As for Catholicism, she fully recognises the man-made flaws perpetuated by those in authority; she helps at church by reading and serving during mass, but joked with the priest, who asked her for assistance, that she would only do it if she could celebrate mass as the priest himself does. It left him chuckling with embarassment.....
    Still and all, she goes to Church because it comforts her to connect with her God. But she is under no illusions as to what is Religious and Spiritual, and what is terrestrial and manufactured.... and that's the difference between a Religious person, and a person who practises a religion.....
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Geez,
    Now I can't even eat chocolate Easter eggs. I still believed in the Easter Bunny!
    edited November 2005
    Chocolate is good for fertility... it contains Potassium and Magnesium, bit of which are essential minerals for good strong healthy bones, and 'drive'.... ;)
    And by golly, it tastes good!

Why do healthy things taste awful? Why do they not inspire us, like chocolate biscuits, or peanut butter and jello sandwiches?
    I've never ever heard anyone say,
    "My, I'm so hungry! I could murder a carrot!" Or...." Mmmmm, feeling a bit nibbly.... got a case of the munchies... I know! There's that wonderful limp lettuce in the fridge! I'll have that!!"
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited November 2005
    What in the world is a chocolate biscuit? I know our biscuits are diffferent than yours but that just sounds odd.

Oh and Easter is just a time when my kids look for eggs and I steal their candy. No religeous significance.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited November 2005
    My children and, now, grandchildren have always hunted hidden eggs at Easter. They also 'know' the old story with which I was brought up about where they come from. French children were taught that, on Maundy Thursday, after Mass, all the bells are silent because they have flown to Rome to be blessed. They fly back overnight on Holy Saturday in order to ring out the joyful news of the Resurrection on Sunday. And, as they fly over the gardens of small children, they drop eggs for them to find.

None of my children is a Catholic nor so they believe in flying bells but they love the story. Their lives are richer for the legend, imho.
    edited November 2005
    What in the world is a chocolate biscuit? I know our biscuits are diffferent than yours but that just sounds odd.

Oh and Easter is just a time when my kids look for eggs and I steal their candy. No religeous significance.

Chocolate biscuits are yummy crumbly, oaty, deliciously fattening, highly addictive and in my opinion distinctly immoral objects, thickly covered with a layer of chocolate. They come in plain or milk chocolate varieties, and the hot British favourites are either 'Chocolate HobNobs', or McVities. Neither of which are available in France, or if they are they are outrageously expensive and you need a bank loan to afford them. Which sucks, because while the French give a passing nod to the cuisine of other cultures, designating a special section of the supermarket to foreign produce, (a token supply, and not usually all that representative!) English Supermarkets are positively bulging with all mannner of exotic and foreign products, not to mention more Brie and Camembert than you can shake a baguette at - !!

But I'm not bitter..... ;)
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Sounds like something Keebler makes. Not expensive at all here. Just a cookie.
    edited November 2005
    Believe me, Chocolate-covered HobNobs are not 'just a cookie'.... that's like saying that A Ferrari 430 is just a car.......! :lol:
  • edited December 2005
    Please don't mention HobNobs. I'm stuck in America, where they don't even know what a biscuit is and can't pronounce the word herb. It's very upsetting.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited December 2005
    Genryu,

Hey, I know that it's pronounced "hûrb"! I know because it has an 'h' in it!

;)

Jason
    edited December 2005
    Oh, Zenmonk - how refreshing! How gratifying! I have heard and read such wonderful things of you, and there you are 'stuck' in America, hankering after a biscuit!!

"Lord Lov yer, sir!" (*touches forelock!*)

:rockon: :D
  • edited December 2005
    At least you two restore my faith in humanity, and Elohim an American at that. :rockon: One day they may even have culture.

At the moment though people still have to translate for me when I go to a greasy spoon diner, and the waitress' (generally female) just stare at me when I try and talk. It's funny, but doesn't do a lot for me when I'm hungry and I'll be damned if I'm going to start using sign language and pointing at pictures on the menu. Let alone when I start muttering about the Baby Eating Bishop of Bath and Wells...
  • edited December 2005
    I have an herb garden and I would love the recipe for those Chocolate HobNobs.
    Now, what about those peanut butter and jello sanwiches.!!!
    We americans are addicted to peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I grew up on peanut butter and sweet pickle sandwiches. Yummy!!

It is interesting to know that Buddhists partake in junk food. One would think ya'll would eat healthy and exercise. I just may fit right in!!
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited December 2005
    At least you two restore my faith in humanity, and Elohim an American at that. :rockon: One day they may even have culture.

At the moment though people still have to translate for me when I go to a greasy spoon diner, and the waitress' (generally female) just stare at me when I try and talk. It's funny, but doesn't do a lot for me when I'm hungry and I'll be damned if I'm going to start using sign language and pointing at pictures on the menu. Let alone when I start muttering about the Baby Eating Bishop of Bath and Wells...

.and they have the gall to suggest that is we Brits who have an accent! Can they not hear themselves?

P.S. I sent that Blackadder episode to George Carey when he moved from Bath and Wells to Canterbury. Got a form 'thank you'!
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited December 2005
    You guys are great.

:)

Jason
  • edited December 2005

.and they have the gall to suggest that is we Brits who have an accent! Can they not hear themselves?

P.S. I sent that Blackadder episode to George Carey when he moved from Bath and Wells to Canterbury. Got a form 'thank you'!

Hurrah!!!
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited December 2005

Blah, blah, blah.

Where exactly is Edinbourah?

What is computer dater?

How does one go to the lavatry?

But, I do have to admit that there is no American comedy quite like the BlackAdder...

As Blackadder once said to Ploppy the Slopper...

"Sir, I'd shake your hand, but I fear it would fall off."

-bf
  • edited December 2005
    Sir, I'd shake your hand, but I fear it would fall off...
  • edited December 2005
    I'm from Texas -- where nobody has an accent.

Actually, I'm from Houston -- where the British Consular staff received Tropical Hazardous Duty pay for being posted there and several shops kept HobNobs in ready stock. (In USA, you can still order them online from The English Tea Store) The occasional bottle of Whitebread Ale actually made its way to town also. At the time that I disceovered HobNobs, my Friends from Paris were constantly bringing in delicious little cigars marked in French all over the paper wrapping. The unwrapped wooden box said "Producto to Habana de Cuba" on the inside of the lid.

As to the relative aphrodisial quality of chocolate (to which I m somewhat physically allergic), there is an old hipster adage from the 1940s that might be applicable -- Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker.

Such are the allures of the form world -- and what a lovely little world it is.

gassho
    -fd- :hiding:
  • edited December 2005
    You see children - eat too many hobnobs and this could be you.