Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Tibetan course

adeleadele Blackpool Rocks! Explorer

http://www.samyeling.org/facilities/home-study-dharma-course/

Hi, I hope it is ok to post this link. It is for a 3 year online course in Tibetan Buddhism and I thought it might be helpful for some people.
I think it is the cheapest one around too - it costs £75/year or £40/year concession.

I am not trying to advertise just help out.

thanks. Adele

Earthninjasova

Comments

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

So will you be starting this course? It looks quite interesting. I notice they also have a forum.
    http://www.calm-and-clear.eu/nangiintro.html

Will you be able to get any face-to-face contact with other students?

• adeleadele Blackpool Rocks! Explorer
    edited March 2015

Hi, yes, I am enrolled on this course and get the first months package at the end of April
    I hope that there might be the chance to get together with others too as in the past I think it was timetabled in for certain weekends. I am doing another course there too though which is more practical -the compassion and Buddhist practices. This involves going to Samye Ling for 3 weekends over about 7 months.

Some time at Samye Ling sounds good. I've never been there myself.

Are you anywhere near Samye Ling SpinyNorman? It's worth going if you can - it's about 3 hours on the train for me.

I'm down in Suffolk so it's a long way off. Nothing local here for retreats, the nearest is a Triratna place near Norwich.

edited March 2015

Amaravati and Citthurst are nearer to you aren't they? I am going on a 10 day retreat at Amaravati in June - Samye Ling doesn't do them. Samye Ling would be a very long way for you to go to though.

Amaravati is probably the nearest to me, I've done several retreats there. I think you'll enjoy the 10 day retreat, it's long enough to really deepen your practice. You might want to take some snacks in reserve though, there is no evening meal, just cheese and chocolate. It's also a very early start!

adele

Thanks, that is good advice for Amaravati - I was wondering how to manage the food thing and the early mornings are going to be hard. It looks like I will be staying in a large dormitory so I am hoping that will help me to get up.

I think you'll adjust to the routine quite quickly. It's a lovely place, huge grounds for walking in, like a park.

I have arranged to stay with the nuns for a short visit too in May so I guess that will be totally different.

Spending some time with the nuns should be interesting! If you come across any serious meditators do pick their brains.

I will thanks. I can only go for 3 nights the first time but longer if I stay with the nuns again.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    edited March 2015

I am both grateful that you have the opportunity to do such things, and envious :) Enjoy! I would not mind traveling to do so (though I would have to go quite a distance to another state to be able to stay with nuns!) but my life does not allow it at this time. What a terrific opportunity.

lobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I'll second that!!

thank you. I have arranged to go to Chithurst to stay with the nuns the first week in April but I don't think I can go so will cancel. I should still be able to get to Amaravati though. I am going to be doing a lot of visits and Dharma study over the next few months and I am really looking forward to it all.

• FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran

Tibetan Buddhists (the monks) say that unless you have an in-person teacher to guide you, you will "go crazy".
    According to those I know who have seen this happen to people, the actual result is one of becoming more egotistical, more emotionally unstable, and somewhat delusional.
    If you have no live teacher to learn from and guide you, practice Theravadan Buddhism and do the Vipassana meditation.
    It is a different style of practice, just as effective, but suited for self-practice. Without the pitfalls that happened when practicing alone, as with Zen or Vajrayana.
    If you cannot find a bhikkhu to instruct you, get a copy of "Mindfulness in Plain English" by Bhante Gunaratana (I think amazon sells it online, used or new). The first few chapters are just about the best summary of what Buddhism is and is not. And the rest of the book is advice, instruction, and guidance in HOW to do Vipassana, and to overcome the barriers and blocks that crop up.

Foible - this course is taught by someone who has been a Buddhist teacher for many years and has taught for many years. Many people have benefited from this course as we are not all fortunate enough to be able to meet teacher due to distance. Some of s have to do the best we can and an online course with visits to the centre seems as good thing to me. Both Theravada and Tibetan centres are hundreds of miles away from me so going to them regularly is not an option even though it would be great to be able to.
    I think it is very individual whether someone 'goes crazy, becomes egotistical, more emotionally unstable or somewhat delusional' as you put it. Some people may already have traits that cause problems and others won't and won't have mental health problems from following Buddhism without a personal teacher.There is a chance that a centre will open in my town soon and if so I will go to it but for now I do as much as I can as many others do.

sova
  • Going crazy is a danger, isn't that right Mr Cushion?
    (The cushion says yes) :glasses:

However dharma psychosis, especially the delusional and egotistical inflation of all aspects of the way. Humility is one of the great counter measures. This is why putting others first is a medicinal and psychological necessity but not a passive 'door mat dharma' which is equally unbalanced.

Most people need a teacher, good company, support, supervision, restraint etc. No doubt.

Can we still practice Vajrayana preliminaries? Yes. These are the open practices suitable for all.

The Buddha was a tantric yogi before establishing the Middle Way.
    http://www.elephantjournal.com/2011/05/before-buddha-became-a-buddhist-he-was-a-yogi/

Until a group starts near enough for me to be able to attend, I have to use online resources and teachers, go for instruction when I can and use books. It's not ideal and I would really like to be part of a group - that's why I come on here - and I do the best I can using the advice and help I receive. I do feel isolated but is trying not better than doing nothing?

• sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran

@adele said:
    better than doing nothing

definitely!

and as long as you're genuine about it, i have no doubt that the conditions will be auspicious for you =)

lobster