Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

New study shows simply being exposed to Buddhist concepts increases tolerance

karastikarasti BreathingMinnesota Moderator

Short but interesting read. I haven't looked over the whole study, but it is about exposing people to Buddhist concepts and the effects it has on prosociality and judgmental behaviors/intolerance of those outside of your group. The positive effects even expanded to Christians...though Christian concepts did not have the same result.

http://www.psypost.org/2015/04/study-finds-being-exposed-to-buddhist-concepts-reduces-prejudice-and-increases-prosociality-33103

ShoshinHamsakalobstermmo

Comments

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Interesting article...It makes sense...But then I'm somewhat bias :D Thanks @Karasti

• HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

I copy/pasted to my search bar:

"exposed to Buddhist concepts reduces prejudice and increases prosociality"

and got lots of interesting 'hits' from 'scholarly' articles (abstracts are free to read), but found a complete PDF of the pre-print version of the study in Vinlyn's link. The published 'final' version must be available for a fee.

I'm not exactly surprised, that subjects being primed with "Christian" concepts resulted in lower out-group ratings in the same subjects. What did surprise me was that Buddhist priming words were "nirvana" and "dharma" -- words I doubt many Christians know the full meaning of, but even so being primed with these words increased out-group tolerance.

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Nirvana and dharma have a nice soft feel to them. ;)

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Hamsaka said:
    I copy/pasted to my search bar:
    ...and got lots of interesting 'hits' from 'scholarly' articles (abstracts are free to read), but found a complete PDF of the pre-print version of the study in Vinlyn's link.

Could you clarify....? :confounded:

• HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

Nope :D Can't!

. . . vinlyn on the brain . . . . sorry @karasti, I mean to say in karasti's link!

federica
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

LOL no worries, doesn't matter who posted it! I did look to see what link Vinlyn posted though ;)
    I will take a look at the pdf, thanks for hunting it down!
    I thought that was interesting too, the chosen words. I wonder what they mean to others, or if they just respond to the sound of them. Maybe they ring something deep down they can't explain. Maybe they just really like the band Nirvana, lol.