Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Donald Trump US next president?

NamadaNamada Veteran
edited August 2015 in General Banter

Will Donald Trump be the next president?

He is rich, famous, achived huge sucess in the buisness world (typical buddhist kind of a guy)...

And is also funny and entertaining.

"I try to learn from the past,
but I plan for the future by focusing exclusively on the present.
That's where the fun is".

"You have to think anyway, so why not think big?"

Donald Trump

silverVastmind

Comments

• Which one is the corn! :o

how
  • He's a great example of what happens when the two-party system gets so widely polarized. To appeal to the Republican "base" requires positions and personality that are too extreme for the general election. Hard to win both the primary and the general. By contrast, the last two Democratic presidents, Clinton and Obama, are both centrists.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I predict a massive exodus of sane Americans all bidding entry into the UK as ill-eagle aliens, desirous of a place of safety, sanctuary and sanity.

Good luck with that....

Invincible_summersilver
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited August 2015

I actually want him to become president. It will bring a whole new level of ridiculous to US politics. Of course, it's already completely ridiculous, and has been for decades, but not many people know that. Perhaps Trump as president will wake some of theses people up to the ridiculous truths already present in US politics. That would be a good thing, Ha!

Vastmind
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

Wouldn't Trump winning the GOP pretty much guarantee a win for Sanders overall?

I can see the far right being dumb enough to hold him up but the whole of the country?

The U.S. has come a long way in the last year or so and I can't see the sane majority willing to get laughed off the world stage.

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

I think his appeal is that he's not so polished and rehearsed when he talks. Even though what he says is crazy the way that he says it is very refreshing. Its funny to see how the other candidates feel they have to up their crazy too.

At first it seemed like maybe his approach would cause him to burn out and fail but in spite of some of his antics he's still polling around double the next closest candidate. I live in Minnesota where we had a similar situation when Jesse Ventura was elected Governor, he had the same no filter, shoot from the hip style that Trump has and he got elected, so don't write him off completely.

Personally I think it would be a disaster but maybe like @seeker242 said, a joke like that might wake the country up.

Vastmind
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

I agree with the British columnist who observed that Donald Trump will hold the Republican spotlight right up to the moment that those Republicans realize he simply cannot compile enough voters to beat back Hillary Clinton's fan base.

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited August 2015

Bernie seems to be garnering more support than Hillary these days. Trump can't beat either of them but it's funny to see him make a mockery out of U.S. politics.

I was watching the start of the debate and I wasn't sure if maybe I had wrestling on instead by mistake. So many bells and whistles, lol.

Just the fact that somebody like Trump could get enough backing to run for president makes me feel very embarrassed for the United States and I'm Canadian.

• Analysts in the NY Times say he won't even get the Repub nomination, let alone the Presidency.

Back in the 1800's, US Presidential campaigns tended to be really wild, with all kinds of oddball characters, so this isn't anything new, exactly, but it's a far cry from the Kennedy-Eisenhower race.

person
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran

@federica said:
    I predict a massive exodus of sane Americans all bidding entry into the UK as ill-eagle aliens, desirous of a place of safety, sanctuary and sanity.

Good luck with that....

Hey Canada ain't so bad! We have more space for them anyway.. wont' drive your real estate prices up. :tongue:

I think I might consider a move if our neighbours to the south decide to elect someone as unapologetically racist, classist, and misogynistic as Trump.

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited August 2015

All you need to run for election is money and that unfortunately just represents the values of Joe public.

Trump has been mainlining Fame and Gain, one of the most seductive drugs there is, for a long time.

One of the major problems with any political system is how attractive it is for any similar junkies.

In Canada, politics has the same junkie appeal but is a bit less entertaining.

Vastmind
  • PöljäPöljä Veteran
    edited August 2015

@federica said:

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

Just the fact that somebody like Trump could get enough backing to run for president makes me feel very embarrassed for the United States and I'm Canadian.

If it were just the money, it might be OK. Franklin Delano Roosevelt and John Kennedy, among others, had a lot of money ... but they didn't shame the country quite so badly.

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

I can't help being reminded about Ross Perot...same height of ridiculousness - different candidates. It's a hoot!

• Ross Perot was politically in between Bush and Clinton on most issues (except NAFTA). And he never sought the Republican nomination -- he ran as an Independent. He also won the first debate.

Trump is well to the right of most plausible prime time-ready platforms, and well south of cerebral discourse.

how
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@federica said:> I predict a massive exodus of sane Americans all bidding entry into the UK as ill-eagle aliens, desirous of a place of safety, sanctuary and sanity.

I reckon they'll all be crossing the border into Mexico. ;)

federica
  • NamadaNamada Veteran
    edited August 2015

@SpinyNorman I dont think Americans will be able to cross the border, because Trump will build a giant wall on the Mexican boarderline, the chinese wall is peanutes comaperd to this one :awesome:

http://www.businessinsider.com/donald-trump-bill-oreilly-mexico-wall-great-china

@SpinyNorman said:
    I reckon they'll all be crossing the border into Mexico.

I'm going to Canada! :)

@Steve_B said:
    Trump is well to the right of most plausible prime time-ready platforms, and well south of cerebral discourse.

The only problem I see what that is a lot of Americans are well south of cerebral discourse also! Some people actually love this guy. He responds to arguments by saying things like "you're stupid!" which is the exact same thing that they would say! Ha!

• Why is Islam the fastest growing religion? Why is ISIS able to recruit so effectively, including affluent young westerners? Why is Donald Trump leading in Republican polls?

@Namada said:> SpinyNorman I dont think Americans will be able to cross the border, because Trump will build a giant wall on the Mexican boarderline, the chinese wall is peanutes comaperd to this one :awesome:

Yes, I heard about that. It sounds a bit like Hadrian's wall which the Romans built to keep out the Scots. ;)

• Canada sounds good... just need to speed up this global warming thing to make it bearable.

seeker242
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@SpinyNorman said:
    Yes, I heard about that. It sounds a bit like Hadrian's wall which the Romans built to keep out the Scots. ;)

....or (when I once acquired a beehive) my neighbour erecting a 6' fence replacing a 4' one to stop the bees flying into her garden and annoying her....

"Paula.... they mate at 2 miles high......"

"Oh, shit! Why tell me now I've just paid £200 for a new bloody fence - !?"

"Because I didn't know that's the reason you were putting it up!!"

howsilverNamada
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

Omg...I think we're drifting...stay on topic, now. :glasses:

btw - @telly03 said "Canada sounds good... just need to speed up this global warming thing to make it _bear_able."

I'd love Canada but I'm afraid of the bears. :anguished:

And I'd rather move to a warmer climate... Donald Trump would hate the UK. His hair would have a permanent wind-swept look......

silver
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

@silver said:
    Omg...I think we're drifting...stay on topic, now. :glasses:

btw - telly03 said "Canada sounds good... just need to speed up this global warming thing to make it _bear_able."

I'd love Canada but I'm afraid of the bears. :anguished:

All you need is friends who run slower than you and you can leave all those bear fears behind you.

silverNamadaVastmindShoshin
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

@Steve_B said:
    Why is Islam the fastest growing religion? Why is ISIS able to recruit so effectively, including affluent young westerners? Why is Donald Trump leading in Republican polls?

When ever any humans start glorifying what they have, to folks who are without, really uglier things historically start happening.

I think in a world of haves and have not's, a media & entertainment industry which used to be called the opiate of the masses, is actually now just being heard by a lot of hungry have not's, to eat cake.

Climate change might very well end up representing more that just the weather.

• Actually I don't really find Trump very worrisome a problem, compared to ISIS and climate change, because I think it's a problem that will solve itself. Here's why: He's leading in the polls but there are many candidates. He's polling at about 22% right now, which I think represents the looney fringe. The other 3/4 of Republicans are supporting sane people. As the field thins, one of the sane people will start to accumulate more support. Trump will never get much higher than he is right now, because he already has all the wackos available. It's just an artifact of a very wide, very shallow field. Meanwhile, we can sit back and enjoy the freak show. The Democrats certainly are.

Vastmind
  • Does Trump have Buddha Nature?

[shock, horror]?

• NamadaNamada Veteran
    edited August 2015

Buddha Nature is the fundamental nature of all beings, so yes Trump also have Buddha Nature..but if he practice meditation and use mindfullnes with metta, and try to tame his defilments, iam not so sure about that....maybe a nice question to ask him under president debates, "how is your buddha nature today Trump"?

lobster

@federica said:. Donald Trump would hate the UK. His hair would have a permanent wind-swept look......

Where I live the seagulls would nest in his hair.

Namada
  • @SpinyNorman said:
    Where I live the seagulls would nest in his hair.

He is of potential use ... Buddha Be Praised :p

• NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran

NOT.

Not wishing to start another thread, but because I do not wish the USA to be the new "Evil Empire," I thought I'd share this great editorial from The New York Times' David Brooks on the Pharisaism of another candidate, Ted Cruz:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/12/opinion/the-brutalism-of-ted-cruz.html?action=click&contentCollection=opinion&module=NextInCollection&region=Footer&pgtype=article&version=column&rref=collection/column/david-brooks

I remember some years back hearing about some English schoolchildren in the primary grades answering some questions about English history (and, of course in England a republican is a totally different animal than the American partisan).

Examples: Henry VIII thought so much of Wolsey that he knitted him a cardigan.

AND: A Republican is one of the sinners mentioned in the Bible.

• @Nirvana posted this today (see above) but it didnt come up among other "new posts" on the first page ..maybe a technical problem @federica?

edited January 2016

@Namada, perhaps you are unaware that the moderators sink threads that they deem might get too "busy," raising usually irrelevant stuff. The US presidential election is not, shall I say, a particularly edifying issue. (When a thread is "sunk" further posts only appear to those who check their bookmarked discussions. Any additional posts, though appended, do not "bump" the discussion to the Top.)

I actually signed out to find the link to this article to append to a post I'm making in the Winter Jokes thread, when I found your post. Thanks.

I know this thread has been sunk, and a good thing it has...
    There is NO WAY that The Donald will be elected President by either the Electoral College or the American people. Notwithstanding the near-certainty that he will be the Nominee of the Republican Party, per its Rules for the 2016 season, he is certain to be soundly defeated in November. The election will be analogous to that of 1964, when Barry Goldwater was so soundly defeated.

If anything —the memory of Hitler and Mussolini being so recent in history— there will be plenty of people pretending to support Mr. Trump who will make his cause even more unattractive. It's gonna be very crazy, uncivil, and scary. Tell it like it is: "Time for Regime Change: Get the Nigga out of the White House." and such ugliness and polarization... (—What Mitch McConnell really thinks and what really motivates him)