Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Basic stuff

In your head, is a voice. I am. I and mine. You believe absolutely, that you are real and that you exist. so funny.

This voice in your head formed as you grew from a baby. as sense data came in, you, your ego and consciousness became a single, continuous stream of thought, emotion, idea and memory. Your existence, your reality is simply this delusion produced by your biological hardware. you suffer because you cannot control these thoughts and because you are ignorant that the narrative you believe so vehemently to be you, is fake. bummer.

To liberate in this life, you must therfore hack your consciousness flow. to do this, you use two tools. concentration meditation and awarness meditation. Both. At the same time. This is the middle path.

so. first. learn to concentrate. learn to focus on a single point and to stay there. You are not blocking thought.... you are concentrating on something. quite different. If you concentrate... thought is automatically in the Off position. master your ability to concentrate such that it becomes effortless and continuous. this will benefit you greatly in all aspects of your life.

next, use your concentration to observe movement. this the key, with wipassana. walking meditation is a good example. there are 4 others.. sight, sound taste and smell. using concentration on hearing is wipassana. using concentration on sight is also wipassana. your long term goal is to substitute your continuous streaming, self created fake I AM consciousness with a real, now, concentration on each of your five sense doors. learn to to this when you shower. when you walk in the supermarket. when you drive your car, when you make love. learn to concentrate on each of your senses. just observe. the more you do the greater the intensity each sense door will give. live in your senses, not in your mind. This is the exit for all beings.

when the narrative is gone, and you live only by observing your senses, you will have reached Enlightenment. it is simply the exchange of one state, with another. from a single mental reality, to infinite reality. There can be no more suffering, because there is no more thinking narrative. there is no more thought. there is no more You. hahaba

So, with wipassana comes the separation of soul from body. This is insight.

Eventually, your consciousness stream will fragment then shatter as you spend more time doing wipassana. It's all automatic.

When the narrative in your head is gone, suffering will cease.

warning. do not linger in samathi, tranquillity meditation. do not be suckered in by the supramundane. It is only a tool.

always chill chill.... the way out is by design and that design is beautiful and Divine. it's meant to be fun and simple so everyone can do. take your time. know where you are going, choose the right tools. know the right path. do correctly and liberation comes quickly.

good luck.

Jeffrey

Comments

• @federica said:
    Another expert who bombards in, and tells us what we need, without establishing whether we've already got it....

You were referring to the soul reference perhaps? ;)

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

In part. And the whole other "You believe absolutely, that you are real and that you exist. so funny." presumptuousness..... like we've never come across this before, wow so new, who'd have even ever thought about it, just incredible....

Where's the 'rolleyes' emoticon when you need it - !? :lol:

Steve_B
  • Don't worry about him. His existence, his reality, is a delusion produced by biological hardware. Fake. Bummer.

woods93
  • ajhayesajhayes Pema Jinpa Dorje Northern Michigan Veteran

"With respect we eradicate arrogance,
    With compassion we extinguish anger,
    With harmony we eliminate violence,
    With truth and sincerity we eradicate deceit.”
    -Grandmasters Sweet Dew of Dharma

silverlobster
  • ajhayesajhayes Pema Jinpa Dorje Northern Michigan Veteran

Also worth mentioning:

"Waking up this morning I smile knowing that there are 24 brand new hours before me. I vow to live fully in each moment and look at beings with the eyes of compassion." -Thich Nhat Hanh

There is a lot to be learned from this thread, for all parties involved.

Steve_Brohit
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

All he had to say was 'hello, I'm new here..... '

• @nai
    There is no downside to starting slowly when you are new here. Still, being here for years is no guarantee that you won't be misunderstood. Don't be discouraged by the criticism.
    I thought it was a pretty good post. There may well be many who can benefit from reading it.

rohit
  • EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran

@nai said:
    In your head, is a voice. I am. I and mine. You believe absolutely, that you are real and that you exist. so funny.

This voice in your head formed as you grew from a baby. as sense data came in, you, your ego and consciousness became a single, continuous stream of thought, emotion, idea and memory. Your existence, your reality is simply this delusion produced by your biological hardware. you suffer because you cannot control these thoughts and because you are ignorant that the narrative you believe so vehemently to be you, is fake. bummer.

To liberate in this life, you must therfore hack your consciousness flow. to do this, you use two tools. concentration meditation and awarness meditation. Both. At the same time. This is the middle path.

so. first. learn to concentrate. learn to focus on a single point and to stay there. You are not blocking thought.... you are concentrating on something. quite different. If you concentrate... thought is automatically in the Off position. master your ability to concentrate such that it becomes effortless and continuous. this will benefit you greatly in all aspects of your life.

next, use your concentration to observe movement. this the key, with wipassana. walking meditation is a good example. there are 4 others.. sight, sound taste and smell. using concentration on hearing is wipassana. using concentration on sight is also wipassana. your long term goal is to substitute your continuous streaming, self created fake I AM consciousness with a real, now, concentration on each of your five sense doors. learn to to this when you shower. when you walk in the supermarket. when you drive your car, when you make love. learn to concentrate on each of your senses. just observe. the more you do the greater the intensity each sense door will give. live in your senses, not in your mind. This is the exit for all beings.

when the narrative is gone, and you live only by observing your senses, you will have reached Enlightenment. it is simply the exchange of one state, with another. from a single mental reality, to infinite reality. There can be no more suffering, because there is no more thinking narrative. there is no more thought. there is no more You. hahaba

So, with wipassana comes the separation of soul from body. This is insight.

Eventually, your consciousness stream will fragment then shatter as you spend more time doing wipassana. It's all automatic.

When the narrative in your head is gone, suffering will cease.

warning. do not linger in samathi, tranquillity meditation. do not be suckered in by the supramundane. It is only a tool.

always chill chill.... the way out is by design and that design is beautiful and Divine. it's meant to be fun and simple so everyone can do. take your time. know where you are going, choose the right tools. know the right path. do correctly and liberation comes quickly.

good luck.

That voice in your head is telling you to do meditation...
    Do you believe it? ;)

The imaginary person is doing meditation to try and see through themselves.
    The problem with this is that when you sit down to meditate, you are simply perpetuating the illusion there is someone doing something to attain what they already are.
    The knots just tie tighter. :/

Thanks for your post though! :) We know you mean well!

• So having a narrative prevents enlightenment?

@robot said:
    nai
    There is no downside to starting slowly when you are new here. Still, being here for years is no guarantee that you won't be misunderstood. Don't be discouraged by the criticism.
    I thought it was a pretty good post. There may well be many who can benefit from reading it.

I'm not for one moment suggesting it wasn't a good post.
    It was just rather presumptuous and 'in yer face'.... for a first post....

• @Earthninja said:

Surely you aren't saying that meditation is detrimental to Buddhist practice.
    It might be the difference between an intellectual understanding and realization. Between suffering and not suffering.

rohit
  • EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran

I'm saying it can be. You have to let go of it at a point. It all depends on your belief systems.
    If you believe you are a person, who is doing something to attain something.
    You are walking in the opposite direction. :)
    The mind can only get you to the boundaries of realisation, the realisation has to happen on the other side.

Sure the person who meditated the best will be the fastest to enlightenment? If meditating was the way.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited September 2015

It's paradoxical because if you say you have to get rid of doing then that itself is a doing.

I think intuitively there is a 'direction' that is right. And it feels right. If we couldn't sense anything we wouldn't know if something were 'right' or not. So we have this direction, but it is not an 'ordinary' direction. WE cannot nail it down but we can point out. This is what the guru gives. The guru gives pointing out instructions.

Earthninja
  • @Earthninja said:
    I'm saying it can be. You have to let go of it at a point. It all depends on your belief systems.
    If you believe you are a person, who is doing something to attain something.
    You are walking in the opposite direction. :)
    The mind can only get you to the boundaries of realisation, the realisation has to happen on the other side.

Sure the person who meditated the best will be the fastest to enlightenment? If meditating was the way.

Perhaps if it is viewed not as attaining enlightenment, but reducing suffering, then the concern with self-making would not be a problem. Just making life better. Simple.

Earthninja
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

From all the online forum talks about this stuff, the only 'problem' with meditation is how lots of folks get the wrong idea about meditation - the notion that they are going to 'get' something out of it besides clarity. They're motivated to think they'll become enlightened and they don't even understand what it really means.

EarthninjarohitDavid
  • Well hot dog and Howdy Dody! As one prone to occasionally share my profound ignorance with our fellow travelers, it does seem "newbie nai" could have toned down his introduction just a tad. O.o

It is always a good idea to engage brain before running wildly through a crystal shop.
    Ol' Lduck has stumbled enough to know the truth of that one. Still, sometimes brain refuses to engage. Oh well.. <3

Oh - Hi there nai. Welcome to our little fun zone. =)

Peace to all

• I don't think he needs the welcome. If he'd intended to stay he would never have written so offensively. I doubt it was intended as an introduction.

David
  • Most likely. But humor deflects other things, especially thing coming from self. o:)
    An intro like that one seem to come from persons trying to prove themselves with nothing to prove. Perhaps a little maturity will mellow the puppy out.
    Me thinks that is, after all, Mr/Ms/Mrs nai's challenge.

Peace to all

David
    edited September 2015

And on that note...

(Can be reopened at OP's request. Holding breath is not my forte....)

This discussion has been closed.