Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Competition and Buddhism

NamadaNamada Veteran
edited September 2015 in General Banter

I love to compete, and I love to watch people compete, socccer, UFC; grappling, skiing, marathon, tennis, olympic games what ever...

I dont cling to any results like I did before, its just part of the game, loosing or winning, but I think its fun to watch how skillfull people can be if they focus on one thing, and I also love to watch the drama.

What would Buddha do if he was a soccer player?

can you be good in sport whitout any Ego?

Bunks

Comments

• We can compete in the YinYana Spiritual Olympics? :o
    http://yinyana.tumblr.com/day/2012/12/10

WalkerNamada
  • WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

I'm suddenly reminded of this movie.

• NamadaNamada Veteran
    edited September 2015

@lobster nice rules, "Nr 3. Levitation, conjuration to physical appearance are acceptable :)"

Then I would start with 10 000 Meter Group Frenzy!

• NamadaNamada Veteran
    edited September 2015

@walker thanks for the tip, I have never seen it, maybe I should now :)

• NamadaNamada Veteran
    edited September 2015

I can also see Meditation as some kind of sport, You need awarness, endurance, focus, and wisdom ,

and a good coach (Buddha and his teachings)

This is How you can secure the ticket to get away from this place soon as possible!

and the gold medal is

Arahnt

Silver: Non retuner

Bronze: once returner

Forth place: Stream-enterer ("one who enters (āpadyate) the stream),

Let the game begin! :)

Earthninjammo
  • EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran

Who can meditate without moving with a fly on their nose for the longest?
    My personal best is 7 seconds.

silvermmodantepw
  • NamadaNamada Veteran
    edited September 2015

@Earthninja I hope you didnt kill that fly? If so, you fell from first to forth place ;)

Earthninja
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited September 2015

I find competition an opportunity to work with the mind. I am thinking more of sports trying to enhance my performance rather than thinking in general that I am better than others. So I think ego needs to think you are better. But mind training can be an effort to improve your performance that is you try to play your best whether your opponent is better than you or worse. It is interesting some days you don't play as well, but those can still be interesting days for mind training. And then some days you are 'hot' and those are fun to be so in synch.

The chicago bulls coach during Michael Jordan's career was Phil Jackson and he was a self-declared Buddhist. My idol is Jim Harbaugh and though he is not buddhist I get a great feeling from hearing Jim talk in interviews or articles about him.

Namada
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I think an individual can, yes. But organized sports largely have problems: doping, cheating, lying, anorexia, ridiculous expectations, maltreatment of support workers (from those who build stadiums and other venues to cheerleaders and minor leaguers). I like to watch sports, too, but I feel guilty for supporting what they do at the same time.

For participating, I love it. But my sports are mostly competing against myself, clearing my mind and going for challenges on my own. Even if I race, it has nothing to do with winning but just pushing myself mentally. Everyone just has to know their own reasons.

• NamadaNamada Veteran
    edited October 2015

@Karasti Yes its winning at any costs.

I have also seen poker players now practicing meditation as a tool to keep their poker face under games, same with UFC fighters and also soccer players.

Leicester city, not know to be a good soccer team, their
    Thai owner Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha flew the monks in from the Far East, so they could be blessed before the match against Manchester United, and Leicster won 5-3 :)

Bringing good karma to the team?

Buddhist monks were at the King Power Stadium for Leicester's 5-3 win against Manchester United

silver
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Competition and Buddhism

Can't beat a monk's debate

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

The Buddha was an English gentleman so he would have played cricket and rugby on a regular basis.

lobsterNamada
  • @Earthninja said:
    Who can meditate without moving with a fly on their nose for the longest?
    My personal best is 7 seconds.

Seven seconds of meditation? Bravo. I need one of those flies ... ;)

EarthninjaWalkerdantepw
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited October 2015

I will send you flies then! A big box of them, first class special delivery. ;)
    Would you also like some spiders, there are lots here ( though probably best to send them in a separate box? ).

lobsterdantepwEarthninja
  • Flies are for amateurs! Let's use mosquitoes!

lobsterShoshinEarthninja
  • I was recently reading a book by Ajhan Sumedho (Teachings of a Buddhist Monk) in the forward Jack Kornfeild discusses his first meeting with the monk who was living in a cottage with another monk and some bees. As they begin talking, Jack realises the monk is nonchalently covered in bees. He has made peace with his companions ... <3

Namadadantepw
  • NamadaNamada Veteran
    edited October 2015

Not bad, so it was mutual respect between them :) Reminds me of Mowgli in the junglebook, so it is possible to be friend, even with the bees.

Earthninja