Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Ten Epithets (titles) of Buddha

KarikoPuppiesKarikoPuppies Veteran
edited October 2015 in Buddhism Basics

hi everyone
I have been here only few months now in newbuddhist.com but its been a great learning experience and very happy to get to discuss buddhism with you all.
I just wanted to post Ten Epithets of Shakyamuni Buddha , who is the founder of buddhism, who's learning that we greatly benefited from to express the reverence & gratitudes to him and share them with you.( I am sure you all know this but just because I want to share again )
thank you for reading if you did and wishing you blessings from the Tathagatha.

Ten Epithets (titles) of Buddha

1. Tathagata 如來 - Thus Come One
  2. Arhat 應供 or 阿羅漢 - Worthy of offerings & reverance
  3. Anuttara Samyaksamuddha 正遍知 - The one who has attained complete enlightenment, truly omniscient
  4. Vidyacarana-Samanna 明行足 - perfect accordance of knowledge & conduct
  5. Sugata 善逝 - well departed
  6. Lokavid 世間解 - understanding the world
  7. Anuttara 無上士 - unexcelled, unsurpassed one
  8. Purusa Damya Sarathi 調御丈夫 - trainer of men
  9. Sasta Devamanusyanam 天人師 - Teacher of deity & humans
  10. Buddha-Bhagavat 佛 世尊 - Enlightened The World Honored One

Have a peaceful weekend! <3<3<3

Comments

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited October 2015

11 English Gentleman ( from the lost suttas of the Spiny Nikaya )

BunksEarthninjaKarikoPuppiesbookworm
  • EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran

@KarikoPuppies it's fantastic having you here. You bring such brilliant posts that are so different from my culture and knowledge.
    Your practice seems really rich in culture. :)

lobsterKarikoPuppiessilver
  • KarikoPuppiesKarikoPuppies Veteran
    edited October 2015

@Earthninja said:

<3 Thank you so so much Earthninja! I learn so much from you and other newbuddhist folks, I realize that what we think of Buddhism in asia and in western world is quite different. I am bit slow so I am just realizing it =)
    I really appreciate your sweetness, wishing you happy & healthy October. ( Octorber 3rd is Korean "Opening of the Sky day", meaning our first ancestor grandpa came down from the sky! - you can tell how funny we are eh? :p so, happy open sky day~ )

Earthninjalobstersilver
  • It is very different.

I too feel this difference is of value. For example the deep reverence is very different to my reverence for irreverence. :3

Until we can establish commonality between Buddhists, how are we to make peace with other religions, people of goodwill and if sufficiently motivated even those in extremes of dukkha such as [insert hopeless case]?

Thanks for putting up with us heedless heretics ... <3

KarikoPuppies
  • KarikoPuppiesKarikoPuppies Veteran
    edited October 2015

@lobster said:

Hiya lobster! thank you for witty comment as usual <3
    When we think of buddhism we often think of leniency but I was surprised how strict buddhism can be. But also that is for our own happiness and nothing else. Isn't buddhism all about happiness. For the sick, buddhahood means health and for the poor, buddhahood means getting out of poverty ect. its that simple and Buddha just wanted us to be happy so he left many different teachings because we are all different. If he said don't do this, do that, there is reason for it. I do believe ( learning to believe ) that true happiness is sharing goodness with others so that is why I get nosy sometimes, but I only mean good. I know I could be wrong but I know Buddha cannot be wrong. So I try very hard not to put my own opinion when I post anything, and I do make sure that what I am posting is from Buddhas teaching not my own thinking. I have only been a buddhist about less than three years, so I only learned very basic so far. Being here makes me learn that its important to accept that people have all the right to chose what they want to think and do. I am learning that I have respect everyones choice. When I mention anything opposite to anyones opinion, that is because just giving me a benefit of the doubt that someone might have gotten a misinformation and might change his/her mind. I am not trying to force my own thinking. If I ever do that I apologize in advance. :p and thank you guys for putting up with me too for sure!! Wishing you protection from buddhas. have a happy open sky day~~ <3

lobster
  • Lazy_eyeLazy_eye Veteran
    edited October 2015

It interested me to see that "arahat" is one of the epithets of Shakyamuni Buddha. Of course, this makes perfect sense -- I was just accustomed to hearing the terms used separately. I know in Mahayana there are multiple Buddhas and also, unlike in Theravada, the goal of practice is ultimately Buddhahood. So if we ever become Buddhas, do all these epithets* apply to us as well?

*including English Gentleman =)

• 12 With blue eyes.