Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Went to the local $2 book fair today and.....

ShoshinShoshin No one in particularNowhere Special Veteran

I bought 4 books, not that I'll read them from cover to cover, they will go in the already full book case...However I will scan through them for passages that resonate (-normally something I've heard/read time and time again, which a new author might express in a slightly different manner) and will be of some use when I'm dealing with clients at work ... Quite often I give them away to people whom I feel might benefit from them... :)

You never know what you'll find at the $2 book fair :)

yagrEarthninjalobsterWalkerInvincible_summersova

Comments

• The Book of Five Rings should prove interesting.
    Enjoy.

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Please remind Jon Kabat-Zinn that he owes the Buddha a lot of royalties for pinching all the material in the Satipatthana Sutta. ;)

EarthninjaShoshin
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

I don't think the Buddha would begrudge Jon (or anybody for that matter) for earning a living off the BuddhaDharma .... "Spread the love people spread the love" :)

"Mindfulness and the cessation of suffering: An exclusive new _interview_ with mindfulness pioneer Jon Kabat-Zinn"

sova

@Lionduck said:
    The Book of Five Rings should prove interesting.
    Enjoy.

Thanks @Lionduck, I'm not sure when I'll look at it, but I will look at it :)

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited October 2015

@Shoshin said: I don't think the Buddha would begrudge Jon (or anybody for that matter) for earning a living off the BuddhaDharma ....

I guess not, though teaching MBSR has become a career. I went on an Mindfulness-based Stress Reduction course some years ago, and wasn't very impressed. The woman leading the course clearly didn't practice mindfulness in daily life, hadn't read the Satipatthana Sutta and didn't really understand the point of the exercises she was teaching. And the one-hour body scan didn't help, sheer boredom!
    We also did an exercise pinched from, Thich Nhat Hanh, the one where you get given a piece of fruit and have to eat it very slowly, on this occasion it was a grape. But we weren't given any instruction prior to being given the grape, so I immediately gobbled it up just to make the point...I iz wikid! It also meant I got given a second grape, which was nice. ;)

• Some wonderful books.
    I must admit I prefer my books in pristine form. Trees they are called ;)

Eh ma ho (Emma Ho to give her Western name) is my favourite author. o:)
    Some of her books are probably freely available here
    http://www.inquiringmind.com/Articles/FreeDistDharmaBooks.html

Shoshinsova

@SpinyNorman said:

In a sense @SpinyNorman a seed planted is a seed planted...

From what I gather many people in the West arrive at the Buddha's doorstep via things like MBSR and the like...

sovaDandelion
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran

@Shoshin said "a seed is planted"

nurture them sprouts! :)

Shoshin
    edited October 2015

I've just been sitting at my nothing special place reading "The Unfettered Mind" which I must say is quite unfettering ... So here's my in a nutshell review/gist of the book so far (not that I've read it from cover to cover-I'm a sloooooooow reader and some would say a slooow learner too :lol: )

"Sabba dhamma nalam abhinivesaya" Nothing whatsoever should be clung to
    so just kick back and Go with the flow :)

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

That is, I would say, one of @Jason's favourite quotations.....

@federica said:
    That is, I would say, one of Jason's favourite quotations.....

Be kind>Help others>Do no harm>Don't cling = Buddhism in a nutshell :)

lobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Yeah. I mean, who needs the 4NT, the 8FPath and the 5 precepts, with such wisdom, right?

4NTs = Don't cling - 8FP = Be kind>Help others>Do no harm ...in a nutshell :)

But I should add no so easy to crack :)

The Buddhist way - the Macadamia nut of all Paths!!

Shoshin

I'm quite partial to Macadamias

We are what we eat some say....well at least I'm not a glutz -
    Along with a little fruit seeds and vegetables I'm quite happy being ('Macadamia') nuts !
    :)