Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

People react to being called beautiful

NamadaNamada Veteran
edited December 2015 in General Banter

Nice social expermiment, how teenagers react when being called beautiful.

VastmindyagrsilverShoshinNirvana

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Actually there are other videos which came up at the end, and I watched another, about how we don't 'see' the homeless....

God, we suck.
    As people, human beings, fellow members of society, we truly, truly suck.

• @federica said:

God, we suck.

You are one of the drops that raise the level of the world. We suck less because of you.

DakiniKundoNirvanaBunks
  • yagryagr Veteran
    edited December 2015

computer glitch - double post...probably needed to be said twice. :p

DakiniNirvanadantepw
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

My five year old daughter is already telling me she doesn't like.the way she looks and that she's jealous of the.looks.of other girls.

We have done all.we.can to shield her from advertising etc.

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

@Bunks said:
    My five year old daughter is already telling me she doesn't like.the way she looks and that she's jealous of the.looks.of other girls.

Good grief! 5 years old and she's self-conscious or something? wow.

I think she's young enough where she'll outgrow that feeling. It's like a lot of things - if you pay too much attention to it, it could contribute to maybe making her really obsess about it - so hard to know what or what not to do.

Bunks
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited December 2015

All humans begin life with this innate sense of separation from existence.
    This is the primary impetus of the karma that created this expression of life.

A practice is just how we stop feeding the impetus of this delusion.
    Our success at addressing this delusion for ourselves, best offers to those around us, the real possibility that they too can transcend the impetus of this shared delusion.

Focusing on anyone's external beauty, is just as limiting as focusing on anyone's ugliness, for how it** reinforces** the karmic impetus of our own delusion and suffering's cause.

AjeevakDharmanaShoshinNamada
  • It's true @how . Part of the problem with being born is that we have to survive being helpless, and with our psyche intact, arrive on the path to waking up (or step back onto the path after rebirth, depending on your view).
    How we are taught to see ourselves can have a large bearing on setting up the conditions for awakening. Being alive is key.
    It's tricky for parents. My daughter tried to kill herself with anorexia as a teenager. She live in the hospital for 7 months. She survived, and now I think she wouldn't change anything, since the experience shaped who she is now, and she is satisfied.
    What could we have done differently? Who would she be if she hadn't gotten sick? If she had died, we would have failed her, but since she lived the experience became an asset for her.
    So, what is called "self esteem" either high or low can be a condition for awakening. But being alive is first. Probably better to work backwards from a place of even unreasonably high notions of self worth.

ShoshinNamada
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@yagr said:

@federica said:

God, we suck.

You are one of the drops that raise the level of the world. We suck less because of you.

That's too kind, really, it is...... one day at a time, one step at a time....

Nirvanadantepw
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited December 2015

@robot

A powerful story.

A sense of worth, when attachment based and with a worth that depends on being thought of as externally beautiful, will result in suffering.

A sense of worth, when not attachment based and with a worth that transcends the comparisons of self & other, will result in suffering's reduction.

Each moment offers us the choice to manifest of this teaching, which of those two senses of worth we value most, for everyone, (children included) whether we call them beautiful or not.

robotWalkerVastmindlobster

Aw, that's beautiful, man.

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited December 2015

@silver said:

@Bunks said:

Good grief! 5 years old and she's self-conscious or something? wow.

I think she's young enough where she'll outgrow that feeling. It's like a lot of things - if you pay too much attention to it, it could contribute to maybe making her really obsess about it - so hard to know what or what not to do.

Not necessarily unfortunately. My now 14 year old daughter started critiquing herself at age 7. I sat her down and had a really good heart to heart with her and explained how advertising, marketing and photoshop work. We still have these conversations as I think it's critical to a person's mental, spiritual and physical wellbeing that they realise their value is not restricted to a pair of scales and makeup.

_ /\ _

WalkerBunks
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@yagr said:

@federica said:
    That's too kind, really, it is......

No, really it wasn't; you've improved my life by being in it and making me believe I matter to you. I'm fifty years old and have never belonged to a forum this long. You are one of the people here that keep me belonging when belonging is my greatest challenge. Do not sell yourself short.

I concur hugs Fede

Nirvanayagr
  • @how said:

A sense of worth, when not attachment based and with a worth that transcends the comparisons of self & other, will result in suffering's reduction.

<3
    Iz plan!

This is very different to the positive affirmation that the attention starved farcebook generation require with every selfie ...

That which is perfect and beautiful is not in the shell/form. Deep down we know this but are attracted/attached to the trivial outer package. I know I am ... However ... through training we gain the capacity to recognise real worth, real being.

This inner Bodhi Beautiful Nature can be nurtured, recognised and attuned with ... and given a nice flowering ...

NamadaVastmindsilver
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran

Wonderful video, really.

@yagr said:

@federica said:
    That's too kind, really, it is......

No, really it wasn't; you've improved my life by being in it and making me believe I matter to you. I'm fifty years old and have never belonged to a forum this long. You are one of the people here that keep me belonging when belonging is my greatest challenge. Do not sell yourself short.

SO there's essentially no difference between beautiful and sweet in your mind, @yagr?

What sweet sentiments! They touched me almost as much as the wonderful video itself.

yagr
  • The most beautiful people I know were a husband and wife who, externally, were not classic beauties by any standard. Their hearts were so big that they radiated their beauty upon everyone they met and quite a few they may never have known. It was neither false nor contrived. They knew no boundaries of sex, race, etc. in their sharing. Plain people yet they had the beauty of the heart.

Peace to all

silverBunkslobsterVastmind
  • @Nirvana said:

SO there's essentially no difference between beautiful and sweet in your mind, @yagr?

Not to be difficult at all, but I think it is more like there is no difference between beautiful and beautiful in my mind. As a child I would get confused when someone would ask a question such as, "Isn't she beautiful?" while pointing or indicating someone I didn't know. Back then I would usually say, "I don't know, I've never met her." but since then I've figured out they mean independent of the person's personality. I still find it difficult to make that determination without knowing the person but can go along to survive the requirements of the social situation.

It is harder for me (re: more confusing and requiring more translation in my head) if someone, let's say at a wedding, said, "Doesn't the bride look beautiful?" when we both know her and she is definitely 'not beautiful'.