Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Correct text for dhammapada verse 103

Hi,
I am interested in getting the dhammapada verse 103 tattooed on me. I read the verse at a temple in vietnam and it had a really deep meaning for me.
I would like to get the most accurate text and font so any help or suggested would be welcomed.
I have taken time to read many other similar posts but have been unable to find the information required.
Thanks again for any help offered.
Nathan

Comments

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

There are different translations, but here is one: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/dhp/dhp.08.budd.html

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

What kind of text? The "original" text is in Pali....

• CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited January 2016

@natedawg please tell us what you think the verse says. And there is no "correct" translation of the sutras, because translation is as much art as science. Many words do not have exact matches and you have to ask youself "what were they trying to say".

• natedawgnatedawg Australia New

Cheers for the link

The wording I planned on using varies a little to that. Does it matter if its not exactly the same?

@federica said:

Not sure, it was in english when I first read it. Thank you, so Pali is the original. Can you tell me how to convert from english?

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@natedawg said:
    Cheers for the link

The wording I planned on using varies a little to that. Does it matter if its not exactly the same?

@federica said:

Not sure, it was in english when I first read it. Thank you, so Pali is the original. Can you tell me how to convert from english?

See here: http://tipitaka.wikia.com/wiki/Dhammapada_Verses_102_and_103_-_Kundalakesitheri_Vatthu

Wow! Thank you that was great!

I only need to find out how to convert to Pali, which i have been told is the 'original ' text.
    If anyone knows that would be great (i will be searching in the meantime.
    Thanks again for all help offered it is greatly appreciated

Also sorry with the 'text' im looking for the Pali font if you would call it that?
    I just found a few translators through google but havnt had any luck.
    Thanks again!