Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Jizo Statue

Hello, I have a son who has autism spectrum disorder Level 1, which is close to normal. He is getting ready to travel to school by himself within the next couple of years. I wanted to know if a Jizo statue in his backpack would be appropriate. I have heard that it is helpful for travelers and also for the weak (Women and kids) but i want sure, I also wanted to know if it is for dying individuals or for healthy individuals? Thanks

Comments

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

Hi. I found this information on-line: "This issue of In the Moment offers a look at Jizo Bodhisattva, one of the most beloved and revered Bodhisattvas in Mahayana Buddhism. Jizo is the embodiment of the Bodhisattva Vow, the aspiration to save all beings from suffering. He is the protector of women, children, and travelers in the six realms of existence. In India he is known as Ksitigarbha, in China as Dizang, in Korea as Jijang Bosal, and in Japan as Jizo Bosatsu. The function of this great Bodhisattva is to guide travelers in both the physical and spiritual realms. In Japan, it is customary to place statues of Jizo at the intersections of roads and paths so the correct way will be chosen. Jizo is often depicted as a child-monk, or as a pilgrim carrying a staff with six jingling rings to announce his friendly approach. He is sometimes shown holding the "Dharma Jewel," the calming light which banishes all fear. - See more at: http://www.dharmacrafts.com/2ITM015/DharmaCrafts-Meditation-Supplies.html#sthash.LlTwOumK.dpuf

It appears to be suitable for your son - I could use one of those myself.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

It sounds nice to me :) My son is also on the spectrum and is just finishing his first year away from home at college. Good luck to you both, it's a crazy ride!

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Intention is All.

lobster
  • So, should i get him one?

• Yes.

Job done!

... however can you get it blessed?

If not some of us may be able to cyber zap it with blessings ... if you ask nicely ...

dsalkindc13
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited April 2016

In my years along the Brown Rice Circuit, I knew many people who owned or purchased statues of the much-praised. Some got them 'blessed,' others not. My own experience was that once I had purchased a statue, I had to make friends with it.... being adoring can hardly forge a good kinship. So I would put it someplace where, in passing, I might touch it or gassho or light some incense or do a little meditation in front of it.

At first, what was new was spiffy and somewhat alien. Its virtues stuck out like glinting razor blades. But after a while, it became part of the friendly landscape.

For my own purposes, I can't think of a better blessing than friendship.

lobsterkarasti
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2016