Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

windows 7 to 10 affect video games?

Hi all my games are rpgs on steam or gog (good old games)..

I would have looked on lincolns video game site but I couldn't remember the name of the website. But the question is valid here too and I wouldn't be surprised if someone knew the effect on steam or gog rpgs from updating windows.

Thanks.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I personally have not had issues. I updated my last computer from windows 7 to windows 10 and the best I can remember, all my steam stuff played fine afterwards. I got a new computer a few months ago that came with windows 8 but upgraded to windows 10 and haven't had any issues with games, steam or otherwise.

Are you having problems? Or just wondering if it's safe to upgrade?

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

Thanks @karasti. I am not having problems on my games. Computer I got in 2011 and is a mac with bootcamp giving it a windows7 partition. No problems I just wondered if it made sense to update.

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I heard that Windows 10 and bootcamp currently do not play well together, some problem with the boot manager being changed. I haven't looked deeply into it but if you are planning to upgrade from win7 to win10 you should check it out.

Jeffrey
  • nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran

It really varies with the game. Older games may have issues, but all of the games I've tried transitioned over to Windows 10 on my PC. I know it's tedious, but you may need to check each game individually, or at least check your favorites.

I keep Windows off my Mac. I have a separate, much more capable, machine for running games, but I also run newer games that would bring my old iMac to its knees. And Windows PCs are pretty cheap these days.

I'd ask you this; why are you considering upgrading? Is it worth the risk that some of your games may not work? I know Win 10 is "free" for now, but Microsoft makes it's money by selling your privacy. I upgraded mostly because I'm in IT and need to be familiar with the latest OS.

Jeffrey
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

Yeah nakazcid I am not upgrading I have decided. Because the only reason to do it was just that it seems odd not to upgrade something to me. But I will go with the old saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it". And thanks for your advice.

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited May 2016

If you are using Windows 7, parts of it are updated to Windows 10 in the background by MS. Using a Mac partition means Apple may be offering its 'protection' and 'improvement' too.

It's time to kickass and chew bubblegum and I'm all out of gum.

• Duke Nukem (any relation to Trumpet 'The Donald' El Presidente?) o:)

Might dust out the wii, dowload an ios game or Linux game ... mmm ... yoga on the wii fit was always fun ... or maybe ... [rambles off into the virtual sunset ...]

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I play hearthstone on my iPad, that's it. And even that may be too much, the competitive nature of it sets my teeth on edge a bit.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

The most adventurous I've got is Spider Solitaire. Oh, and "Unblock me" Free.

The most adventurous I've got is Spider Solitaire. Oh, and "Unblock me" Free.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

'steam' has quite a range and variety of games. I hear gambling is also fun!

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2016

For years, I’d been making the case that we should borrow from the games kids love to create new kinds of educational games. But after that one memorable lunch, I realized that we didn’t need to co-opt the mechanics of gaming at all. We could — and should — use the games that kids were already playing, the immersive, sometimes violent games that hold boys and girls enraptured for hours in a state of flow and focus.

http://ideas.ted.com/why-video-games-shouldnt-freak-parents-out/?utm_campaign=social&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_content=ideas-blog&utm_term=social-science