Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Anger?

SabineSabine Veteran
edited June 2005 in Buddhism Basics
What's the general Buddhist view on anger? Is it natural, or should it be curbed? See, I have a pretty fiery personality, so I was just wondering if I need to change that... :o

Comments

• comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited June 2005
    http://www.newbuddhist.com/forum/showthread.php?t=240

Here is my experience and what everyone told me. :)
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited June 2005
    Anger is self destructive, and if you really sit down and logically think about it, you can only come to the conclusion that anger doesn't really solve anything. It's something we all need to work on :)
    edited June 2005
    I don't know that it doesn't solve anything. I got mad at work and now my boss is a lot nicer to me.
  • edited June 2005
    I suppose you have to ask yourself that even if the anger accomplishes a goal, is it worth the self-destcruction that accompanies it. Usually there is a better, more mindful, way out of situations.

But it's really, really hard not to give in to anger.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2005
    Anger is like the burning coal you pick up to throw at your enemy....

1) You might miss..
    2) You might hit a target you didn't intend to hit....
    3) Every single time, without exception, you'll end up burning yourself first....
    edited June 2005
    Very true Fed. Very true.
    edited June 2005
    I would also like to point out that anger can turn into rage. That is a road people should never go down.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited June 2005
    Anger is fire. Anger burns. It's best to put down what may burn you.

Anger leads to hatred. Anger leads to violence. Violence leads to physical harm and death.

Is anger worth keeping?

To rid yourself of anger learn patience. Learn to love. Learn to see that these people you are angry at just want to be happy like you. They are lost. They are confused. Help them instead of hating them. This makes your heart stronger. This makes you wiser. This brings happiness to all that meet you. Just do your best and forgive yourself when you make mistakes. :)
  • edited June 2005
    Something I've learned along the way is that you choose to be angry and so, with practice you can catch yourself before you loose your rag and think about why you're angry.
    One example was I'd often get stressed out when driving if someone slower than me was holding me up. I now try and catch myself and I just think:
    "This person in front of me is going at a pace that they feel comfortable with. We all want to get to our destination in time and maybe if I left earlier I wouldn't be in such a rush. It is my own fault if I'm late, not this person driving in front of me." This then stops the angry feelings and I find that this can be used in many situations. I guess it's just down to being mindfull of your own emotions and analysing them, although this is far easier said than done!
    Adrian
  • edited June 2005
    Speaking on behalf of slow drivers everywhere I thank you Frizzer.
    edited June 2005
    Elohim wrote:
    Anger leads to hatred. Anger leads to violence. Violence leads to physical harm and death.

I heard Yoda in my head when I read that. LOL
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited June 2005
    Frizzer wrote:
    Something I've learned along the way is that you choose to be angry and so, with practice you can catch yourself before you loose your rag and think about why you're angry.
    One example was I'd often get stressed out when driving if someone slower than me was holding me up. I now try and catch myself and I just think:
    "This person in front of me is going at a pace that they feel comfortable with. We all want to get to our destination in time and maybe if I left earlier I wouldn't be in such a rush. It is my own fault if I'm late, not this person driving in front of me." This then stops the angry feelings and I find that this can be used in many situations. I guess it's just down to being mindfull of your own emotions and analysing them, although this is far easier said than done!
    Adrian
    Whoa, that's definitely useful right about now--I just got my learner's permit :)
    And everyone's just so helpful. It's only my second day here, but I already feel like a part of the family! Thanks!
    edited June 2005
    You only feel that way because you are part of the family. :)